Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM #1
Ekyness

3 man tourny strategy

Im in a 3 man league, my team is good skill wise. We are really aggresive. We have won many matches by bringing the pressure but have also lost because of it at times. my question is what should we do off break? do we lane or run? i have seen alot of teams win and they just stay home back left and back right. my next question is when to move? i have ran up the field lots of times and found myself locked down at like a 40 tumbstone. What should i be looking for when choosing my spot to bunk up to?

Im new yes.. been playing less then a year but my skill is there just not the brains .. so much.. lol
Ekyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM #2
DMD

has been a member for 10 years
DMD supports Cereal Killerz 2
"my question is what should we do off break? do we lane or run?" -

In 3 man play, I recommend shooting your lane always. Whether you are running, walking, or just standing. You want to have balls in the air at all times of the game or as much as you possibly can. Whether you run, walk, or stand depends on variables...
  • What is the field setup like?
    Is the middle clustered?
    Is there a large X?
    Is there a snake bunker that you can cut off?
    Is there a "God" bunker that you need to cut off or take yourself off the break?
    How aggressive is the other team on the break?
    Does the other team have a star player that needs to die on the break?

You want to run (and gun) to a key bunker that needs to be taken right off the break.

When you need that key kill or containment on the break, it is better to just walk (or stand) and lane. Accuracy is the key in this type of breakout. Once your opponents get to their initial bunkers, then you want to get to your bunkers.

"i have seen alot of teams win and they just stay home back left and back right." -

This is how inexperienced teams play. The Alamo method sucks. Don't do it. Use your aggressiveness and teamwork to win the game.

"my next question is when to move?" -

Always move, take what your opponents give you. If you snap out and your opponent ducks into their bunker, stay on them and make your bump. Paintball is a game of angles. Constantly moving will refresh your angles and causes your opponents to play on their heels in reaction to you. This is when that player is basically your *****. As long as you are shooting your gun to suppress your opponent, you can almost do anything on the field (within reason). A basic rule that you should use till you gain more experience is this, "If no one is shooting at you, move."

"i have ran up the field lots of times and found myself locked down at like a 40 tumbstone. What should i be looking for when choosing my spot to bunk up to?" -

If you ever are in a spot that more than one gun is flailing away at you then that is good. You need to communicate this to your teammates as the both of them only need to worry about one gun (or maybe none) and your teammates could do damage. If you get pinned by multiple guns, your job at this point is to lock off a key zone to your immediate right or immediate left and communicate as much as possible to your teammates. You will do your team a diservice by getting shot. Once your opponents react to your teammates and stop shooting at you, be prepared to do some damage of your own.

Hope these tips helped you out.

AIM: dmdyng
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM #3
Ekyness

Thanks! DMD

DMD thanks alot! That helps alot! and clears up all my questions. Im playing a league all summer and our kick off is soon. I will play with your tips tommrow and we will se what happens. I am very thankfuL!

p.s. I just bought an 08 ego so your tips and this gun should do wonders!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 PM #4
Shadow9098

Shadow9098 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Shadow9098 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
3man events are jus a gunfight IMO, jus get to the key bunkers basically, and battle it out with your opponent, helped my team when we did 3man, and we did pretty good
Ebay Feedback +91/-0
Paypal Verified
Shadow9098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 PM #5
Im at school 23

Im at school 23 plays in the PSP
we played a three man this year we did the alamo idea off break but we had to make a move withen 10 secounds just dumb a ton of paint into em some new players will even not snap when you doo this and have your corners look inside if one of them gets hit fill out side
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 PM #6
oxo

As what DMD said about bunkers.
Walk the field pretend to be playing. Find the key bunkers. What bunkers you want to go to and try to think what the other team wants to go to.
Every field has a key bunker or "GOD" bunker. That is the one you want to go to or lane to that bunker and try to hit the other team before they get to the bunker.
Think a few moves ahead when walking the field and playing. I get to "this" bunker then where can I got from there. Where might the other team counter my move.
Most important talk talk talk. Let your team know where they are. If you have two guns on you then try to get a team member to move up. 2 guns on you that means they arnt watching the other players.
Even if your down a guy talk. Get in a good spot and work on getting a guy out then. Make it 2 on 2.
Last dont get down. If you lose a guy on break or any time keep playing dont give you. Ive seen a few games where it was 1 on 3 and the 1 guy won the game cause he played smart and the other team didnt talk.
Hope this helped some
oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 AM #7
Ekyness

the after math

Hey guys thanks for the input!
We played our tournament yesterday. My team got second! we lost by 40 poitns, and in one game we got a dirty hang so we lost 55 points!! we shoulda had first. But live and learn. I did pretty good i was shooting almost 3 pods and a loader ever game. I just shot tons of paint and was able to make alot bunks up the field and get into good positions to lock down the field. I have one more question. My send line has two well good players and one really new guy. I was wondering what i should do with him? his right handed should he always play right side off the break and i stay home and the other experienced player play left? or should i leave the rook at home? Im just kinda stumped on that one. We havent had much time to pratice with him cause of his prom and all that.

Well thanks alot guys and we got 2nd outa 10 teams in divison 5 this was our first tournament!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:51 PM #8
oxo

I would let the rookie stay home for the first game. Make sure he calls where the other team is. If he plays good from there have him go there agin then IF he feeld confident have him start moving up. Just let him get a good feel for tourny play then see what is feels like he what would be the best spot for him.
Do you guys have 3 guys or 4 guys on the team. If you have 4 rotate him in. Have him sit out aginst the better teams and have him watch and see how you guys move.
Where are you guys from?
oxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM #9
Ekyness

Hey! yeah that sounds like what were going to do. Hes played some reball so hes got an idea of speed ball. And we got 6 people 2 lines were from newbrunswick
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM #10
redchris37

hey, whats the alamo?
redchris37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 PM #11
ysiwpaintball
Ron

Annual Supporting Member
ysiwpaintball plays in the PSP
ysiwpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ysiwpaintball supports Team VICIOUS
lane lane lane lane....i would run up to the a laning and teammates would both stay home and lane and bump out to tapes so i would kill back right from the A and then put home in well my d-side guy would move up and shoot home out then bye bye snake guy cause our snake guy and my would make his day not so good one...play conservitive if you can..we all laned off break every game 8 prelim games and four final games and only shot 2 and a half cases for the whole team and took 1st place

LUXE

"Originally posted by licence_to_kill: plant meth in his car and call the cops"

"If your not going to stand behind our troops, stand in front of them"
ysiwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM #12
Cam_Mc

my team played a 3-man(aswell as 5-man) we played 2 at the back to cover the front guy. in the 3-man us 2 backs shot 2 cases each, and the front guy shot about 3 bags the method is to just shoot at any bunkers their players are, it keeps them pinned down so that youre glory hunting front guy can finish up.

in the 5-man the 3 backs shot 3 and a half each and the 2 forwards shot a case each.

so its all about keeping the other team pinned, and not worrying about the cost of paint.
[
Cam_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 AM #13
Moe123

yo im lookin fpr a team i know this isnt the right forum o do this on but pick me up yo
(glory road paintball reg. play)
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM #14
knigg23

knigg23 helped look for balloons
i am playing in my first 5 man tourney and cant wait
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face.......then the ref high-fived me for being so damn awesome."
Infinity original "I'm stumbling to my apartment because I'm drinking as **** and talk can't".
knigg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 PM #15
STR8killa22
sex,drugs&rockin triggas

STR8killa22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STR8killa22 supports Team VICIOUS
our team is playing in the cfoa 3 man this year and ever since we started playing aggressive yet still playing smart we been doing alot better

our team is doing something like 1 corner, 1 snake, and like home or laneblocker or something were basically all playing mid, the guy at corner useually bumps up pretty fast

c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
▄██ █ █ █ ██ █ ██▅▄▃▂
███████████████████████►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙☼◤
STR8killa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 AM #16
deadzone58
Gun for Hire

Like it's been said before, 3 man is all about communication. Talk to eachother, keep your guns rolling and press up the tape as much as you can. What worked well for my team was keeping our lanes crossed up; we had one back man take a home corner off the break and pretty much stay there looking inside the whole time. One mid guy would hit the opposite tape and also look inside, while our front man went up the middle. By keeping our lanes crossed up we were able to pinch a lot of people and get easy kills.
deadzone58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 AM #17
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Annual Supporting Member
Darthdoug plays in the PSP
Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Any paintball game is about angles, get them and you win. Shooting at your mirror or down the tape is only useful when you're keeping someone ahead of you alive. In three mean you'll rarely have someone directly in front of you, so almost always cross up the zones.

3-man is different in two ways, because you have less people and less guns.

- Losing someone is more painful, so you have to think twice about big moves. You can recover from a loss off the break in 5 and 7 man, not as easy in 3-man.

- Less guns means EVERY gun up counts, so even taking the time to slide is a disadvantage to your team... so even slides have to be worth it. Three guns up for their team and only two guns up for your team means they have a 50% advantage in firepower and vision... a serious advantage.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:15 PM #18
Ekyness

Alright So tell me if this works. I want to have my rookie play home and just shoot a **** load of paint. now for me and the other dude were gonna play back right and left and just cross it up and bunk up as soon as we can. But keep crossing. We can shot our tape but focus on crossing?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM #19
STR8killa22
sex,drugs&rockin triggas

STR8killa22 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekyness View Post
Alright So tell me if this works. I want to have my rookie play home and just shoot a **** load of paint. now for me and the other dude were gonna play back right and left and just cross it up and bunk up as soon as we can. But keep crossing. We can shot our tape but focus on crossing?
probably cross it up alot, but you need to move up the field and stick to the tapes

c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
▄██ █ █ █ ██ █ ██▅▄▃▂
███████████████████████►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙☼◤
STR8killa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM #20
Slimjim12
Yes.

Something my old 3-man team used to do alot was stick two of our 3 players on one side and have the other player play the back corner or some other conservative bunker on the opposite side. The 2 players on the snake side for example would work together as a back man and front man and move up the field together. The lone player on the opposite side's job would be to lock down his side as best he can and as long as he can to allow the 2 players on the snake side to move up to good angles. Sometimes the players on the other team would become so worried about the 2 players moving up the field that they would forget about our 1 player on the other side and he would sometimes make a big move and win the game for us.
Playground Resurrection#23 - Twenty-Three
On Point Paintball Supply
The Playground
Captainoring.com
Raza
<3 Del Hobbies.
Slimjim12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:15 PM #21
LiAM.68
*HiGH*

LiAM.68 is playing at Living Legends III
Depends on absolutely EVERYTHING. Field layout, opposing team skill in every aspect, your team skill in every aspect, opposing team movement, your team movement, opposing team strategy, your team strategy... EVERYTHING. When coaching and as a team captain, you must think about absolutely EVERYTHING and build strategy off what you think of. It's a team sport, it doesn't matter where you move, per se, it matters where your team moves, their team moves, and how you respond.

EDIT: Oh, and congratulations on finishing your first tourney!

Last edited by LiAM.68 : 06-27-2009 at 04:55 PM.
LiAM.68 is offline   Reply With Quote