Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-10-2009, 01:08 PM #22
Tapper

Experience

Andrea was endorsed by Tim who is in charge of all PSP refs. Your references to her being biased because she thinks a player is cute is not cool and could not be further from the truth. Andrea is a PSP D-1 field ref with several years experience refing National events. Now lets try to keep on point here please. We are looking for ways to improve our events and Andrea has shown geniune interest in doing just that for the players, teams, and the series as a whole. Be happy she is taking this seriously and cares, I know I am thankfull to have her on board. Andrea is the Ultimate Judge for MSXL Events.

1.2. Judges
1.2.1. Each field’s head judge is the highest authority on that field.
1.2.1.1. Any call made by the head judge on their field is final.
1.2.1.2. Ultimate Judge will not overturn any on-field calls by the field ultimate.
1.2.2. The Ultimate Judge is the highest authority at an event.
1.2.2.1. Any decision of the Ultimate Judge is final.

Email: axpspaintball@bellsouth.net
MSXL Website: www.msxlevents.net
Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM #23
mrtandme

1.2.1.2. Ultimate Judge will not overturn any on-field calls by the field ultimate.

ok so then by the rules you just posted tapper why was your d-1 ref over turning all-goods calls all day long...... can you answer that?
mrtandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:17 PM #24
maddawg8018
Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtandme View Post

ok so then by the rules you just posted tapper why was your d-1 ref over turning all-goods calls all day long...... can you answer that?
I agree 100%. we had this happen to us 2-3 instances that really could've helped us out.

Last edited by maddawg8018 : 06-10-2009 at 03:58 PM.
maddawg8018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM #25
Awall0502

to clear things up Dan i have worked as a field ref for PSP for over 3 years. this is my first time as an ultimate judge. i am truly doing the best i can and would like to know how you guys would like me to improve myself as well as the series. i will def. say it is hard to get out of my old habbits as a field ref. but i am learning to do so very quickly.
Awall0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 PM #26
Awall0502

i will let you guys know that i overturned one call all day long because what they did went against the rules and it wasnt even the head refs call. but this thread is not meant for me to argue with you guys cuz tht is not what i want. plz post things that u would like to see improved upon, not angry posts simply meant to be hurtful or with no purpose other than venting. that does not help me, you, or the series.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:18 PM #27
Tapper

As posted earlier I am actively recruiting certified PSP refs to be the head ref on ea. field this should take the pressure off Andrea some and help with on field consistancy.

We will always try to improve every aspect of our series. Using host event volunteers does lead to a degree of inconsistancy but it is the only way to keep your events affordable. We will be sending a core group to get certified every year so this should get better with time. Your next 3 events will have a couple certified refs ea. field plus volunteer refs App. 8-10 total per field and as always Andrea.

Last edited by Tapper : 06-10-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM #28
Warpigs

Andrea, the only suggestion I would make is to take charge of your refs. If you see that a ref is out of position, then tell him to get back into position. Don't leave him there and do his job from outside the net. I realize you have a tough job, so don't add to it by micro-managing your refs. If they miss a call (which they all do. It's just part of it.) discuss it with them after that game.

As a spectator I can see how some of these guys might think you were picking on them. They only seen you doing it during their matches. As I was able to see what was really happening. You seemed very knowledgeable about the sport and the format. Just remember that you can't do it all. Good luck at the future events and keep up the good work.

Darrin, it was nice to have met you. You have a nice series going, best of luck to you also.
Warpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM #29
writersen
Communist Cyborg Trainer

writersen is a Moderator
writersen is BST Trusted
writersen plays in the USPL
writersen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
writersen supports Bob Gurnsey
writersen plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapper View Post
Andrea is a PSP D-1 field ref with several years experience refing National events.
Judging by her checking the rule book many times i call shens on that statement
writersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM #30
Tapper

Checking the rule book is her job even if she knows that rule by heart. That is the way I want it. Heaven forbid she miss a call because you guys are giving her a hard time about checking the rule book and she doesn't check it. It shows the players she cares enough to confirm the rule straight from the PSP bible itself. Can we get back on point.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM #31
ghostinthewood

ghostinthewood plays in the PSP
ghostinthewood is playing at Living Legends III
ghostinthewood supports Team VICIOUS
ghostinthewood plays in the APPA D4 division
For sure, I rather her be certain than make a bad judgment because she didnt want to look bad by looking at the book. Arent all basketball and football referees required to carry a rulebook as well as baseball umpires?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM #32
Awall0502

to clear things up once again guys, i was always taught that if a rule is questioned it is always best to find it in the rule book and be able to show it to a player. moreover, there have been many rule changes made this season and adjusting to them has been a little awkward. when u know something very well and it is then changed its takes a little bit to adjust. however, we are doing our best to adjust quickly. i would also like u guys to know that we now have 10 refs for each field and more psp certified refs for each field. this will make things run MUCH more smoothly and i will now be able to focus on my job, and my job only. so u guys will now get to meet the real, calm, and focused Andrea. i know u will like her much more. ha ha. i look forward to being able to be your guys' mediator and not your enemy. i also want u guys to start planning now about your coaches and team spectator coach, so we dont run into any problems with it next event. no one will be able to coach for more than one team, they must be on the roster for the team. also the spectator side coach cannot be on the roster as a player or staff so plan ahead plz. i believe i have addressed the concerns that have been brought to my atttention. anyone have anything else that they believe needs to be addressed? i want to make sure we have everything sorted out before the next event. i want it to be awesome for everyone so lemme know and i wil fix whatever it is that you are concerned about. i honestly want you guys to know that you are all awesome players and people. you are what makes these tournaments worth the long drive and terrible weather. i am so sunburnt from PG that i cant even work here at home, but i am still excited for the next tourny. i hope u guys understand that what you do deserves a lot of respect and i respect u for the great job u do. hope all is well with everone and i look forward to hearing any more concerns you have and see u guys in BG.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:59 PM #33
deezy187

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersen View Post
by your words the head ref should not make on field calls, ie eliminating a player or deciding if the flag was hung before the buzzer sounded, correct? just making sure i'm understanding you correctly.
no offense dude but someone needed to call things cause the refs on the feild were complete morons.They didnt know dick....
deezy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM #34
ghostinthewood

Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 AM #35
ECartman

ECartman is a Supporting Member
ECartman plays in the USPL
ECartman plays in the PSP
ECartman is playing at Living Legends III
ECartman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ECartman supports Team VICIOUS
Awesome, I love how she doesn't follow the rules she supposedly knows and enforces. Look at her soft ears, They are taped to the strap and not connected to the mask. From the PSP rule book:
Quote:
8.2.1. Players must wear a complete goggle system that meets ASTM standards52 and is in good repair and not otherwise damaged in a manner that affects their ability to protect the player53.
A person who fails to wear an acceptable goggle system in a designated goggles-on area, including the field of play, will be assessed a minor penalty.54
8.2.2. No material may be removed from the manufacturer’s original form. Items not of a padded or absorbent nature55 may be added to the goggle system provided they do not adversely impact the ability of the goggle system to protect the player.
8.2.3. Players must wear the full-face protection provided with the goggle system as it is designed and sold by the manufacturer.
8.2.4. Players must wear the ear protection provided with the goggle system as designed and sold by the manufacturer.
If she's going to call out rolled up pants she should look in the mirror and call out herself.
ECartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:18 PM #36
ghostinthewood

You going to get mad at refs for wearing too many layers too? XD

Under the rules you posted it says players, not refs. Nice try.

Moreso, the ear protection is there...the design is essentially there as well since its still connected and used as the manufacturer intended.

Last edited by ghostinthewood : 06-27-2009 at 11:26 PM.
ghostinthewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM #37
mrof

mrof plays in the PSP
mrof owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
mrof plays in the APPA D3 division
were you there did not think so it was about 100 out wed to sat she busted her *** as well as everyone out there this week say something positive stop pulling the league down
mrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM #38
ECartman

ECartman is a Supporting Member
ECartman plays in the USPL
ECartman plays in the PSP
ECartman is playing at Living Legends III
ECartman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ECartman supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostinthewood View Post
You going to get mad at refs for wearing too many layers too? XD

Under the rules you posted it says players, not refs. Nice try.

Moreso, the ear protection is there...the design is essentially there as well since its still connected and used as the manufacturer intended.
The rules state as designed and sold, not as intended. Sorry that doesn't cut it. The manufacturer attached the soft ear at the top with little or no gap. Taping them to the strap makes them move and creates a large gap, which can be seen in the above pictures. The point isn't the mask as much as the selective and arbitrary enforcement of the rules. Why did she try to eliminate a player for wearing short sleeves when he had been wearing them all day? This was in finals and with his position on the field probably would have made a great change in the game if he had been eliminated. Was it to finally enforce the rule or to give benefit to the team he was playing against? Obviously we'll never know. It was nice that the on field refs refused her and let him play, as they had done all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrof View Post
were you there did not think so it was about 100 out wed to sat she busted her *** as well as everyone out there this week say something positive stop pulling the league down
Actually I was there. It was hot and humid. Keep in mind she was there working. She was paid to be out there doing what she was doing just as every other ref was. If they can't handle it they need to change jobs. This goes for ditch diggers and anyone else who does manual labor.
As far as the ears I asked the ultimate ref about it. I asked if taping them to the strap was allowed and was told no, they had to be attached to the goggle part. I asked if that was for everyone and he said yes, anyone that went onto the field. I asked even non-players and he said yes, everyone. I told him he might want to look closer next time he made a round of the fields.

I'm not pulling the league down. She asked for comments/suggestions and I'm doing so. I've noticed a few things and am pointing them out. Hopefully this will build it up. Since CTS is now gone Kentucky and Indiana need a decent series.
ECartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM #39
ghostinthewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECartman View Post
The rules state as designed and sold, not as intended. Sorry that doesn't cut it. The manufacturer attached the soft ear at the top with little or no gap. Taping them to the strap makes them move and creates a large gap, which can be seen in the above pictures. The point isn't the mask as much as the selective and arbitrary enforcement of the rules. Why did she try to eliminate a player for wearing short sleeves when he had been wearing them all day? This was in finals and with his position on the field probably would have made a great change in the game if he had been eliminated. Was it to finally enforce the rule or to give benefit to the team he was playing against? Obviously we'll never know. It was nice that the on field refs refused her and let him play, as they had done all day.

Actually I was there. It was hot and humid. Keep in mind she was there working. She was paid to be out there doing what she was doing just as every other ref was. If they can't handle it they need to change jobs. This goes for ditch diggers and anyone else who does manual labor.
As far as the ears I asked the ultimate ref about it. I asked if taping them to the strap was allowed and was told no, they had to be attached to the goggle part. I asked if that was for everyone and he said yes, anyone that went onto the field. I asked even non-players and he said yes, everyone. I told him he might want to look closer next time he made a round of the fields.

I'm not pulling the league down. She asked for comments/suggestions and I'm doing so. I've noticed a few things and am pointing them out. Hopefully this will build it up. Since CTS is now gone Kentucky and Indiana need a decent series.
Well you don't have to worry about that because I talked to a couple refs and they said they're only worried about the goggle itself. The concensus seemed to be so long as there wasnt any major mods they didnt care much. I saw a couple of cut flexes even. As far as WHEN the rule was enforced everyone who has played paintball has seen stuff like that happen. Someone doesnt catch a rule til later because theyre normally one that dont exactly pertain to gameplay and thats the priority. I know its happened to me, I know its happened to my 'mates, and its happened to people I dont even know.

So you talked to someone, thats fine. I talked to several people. Obviously it comes down to who is on the field. Everyone reffing crew in every sport calls things a little differently. If you've played any sports outside of paintball then you ought to know that. Once again, you can argue that it was the ultimate and this and that but anyone could argue the rules only say players. Rules come down to interpretation a little bit. If you havnt accepted that by now I dont understand why youre trying to compete at any level for any sport.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:36 PM #40
writersen
Communist Cyborg Trainer

writersen is a Moderator
writersen is BST Trusted
writersen plays in the USPL
writersen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
writersen supports Bob Gurnsey
writersen plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostinthewood View Post
Once again, you can argue that it was the ultimate and this and that but anyone could argue the rules only say players. Rules come down to interpretation a little bit. If you havnt accepted that by now I dont understand why youre trying to compete at any level for any sport.
IMO, if you're enforcing a rule on a playing field no matter the sport, if it pertains to safety you can't enforce it if you yourself don't follow it as well. Take that into consideration.
writersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM #41
ghostinthewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by writersen View Post
IMO, if you're enforcing a rule on a playing field no matter the sport, if it pertains to safety you can't enforce it if you yourself don't follow it as well. Take that into consideration.
Safety? It could be argued that wearing a lot of layers like the refs do is a safety issue because of heat stroke etc. Especially with the weather this past weekend. The refs I talked to obviously didnt think it was a safety concern as stated earlier...

Am I the only one that has thought that she taped them so she could ref and do her job? I dont know how much anyone paid attention to the refs, but they were doin work. I doubt she had time to get some new ears...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM #42
502 killa
THIRDEYE

Annual Supporting Member
502 killa plays in the PSP
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
502 killa plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECartman View Post
Awesome, I love how she doesn't follow the rules she supposedly knows and enforces. Look at her soft ears, They are taped to the strap and not connected to the mask. From the PSP rule book:

If she's going to call out rolled up pants she should look in the mirror and call out herself.
theres no rules for refs. but nice try.
502 killa is offline   Reply With Quote