Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM #1
Mentalicca

Rebuilding an A5, looking for help

First time poster, sorry for a noob question.
With the weather getting a little better for outdoor play, I am trying to help my brother rebuild his A5. He bought it used last summer. Wondering what parts people suggest might help prevent some issues.
From an assembly standpoint we have plenty of knowledge, just not necessarily on what to replace.
The issues we have are inconsistent velocity and air leak. We have disassembled and reassembled with new o-rings a couple times already.
I was talking to him about a new power tube, springs, plus putting in an aluminum charging handle since we are in there. Any other suggestions?
Mentalicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2015, 07:05 PM #2
Jay2014

Stay with stock internal parts as much as possible. Check for cracks in the power tube if it is leaking out the barrel or ASA.
Jay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 PM #3
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Changing internal parts is unlikely to fix the velocity inconsistencies; those are almost always a product of your paint quality and sometimes paint/barrel match.

Where exactly is the gun leaking from?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 AM #4
Mentalicca

Not entirely sure where the leak is. We have replaced all the O-Rings and reassembled a few times. It only seems to leak when the gun is cocked.

As for the velocity, I get that the paint is a big deal, and the stuff our local field makes us use definitely isn't all that great, but last time we tested, shots probably ranged from anywhere between 190 and 270 fps (same results with 2 different chronographs). I am not sure I have ever seen paint cause that must inconsistency, but I am not ruling it out.

The other thing with this is I am making him get a new barrel, as the flatline it came with looks a little beat up, and I worry it is scored or even bent to the point of being useless.That may explain part of the velocity issue, so I can probably have him screw on my X7's barrel just to test that.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 AM #5
cheater13
I know, my name sucks.

cheater13 helped look for balloons
cheater13 supports Sherwood Forest
cheater13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cheater13 supports Empire
Did you replace all the o rings on the valve? Even the small one inside? I always replace them when I have someone's a5 tore apart.

Like they said, keep all stock internal parts. I've had the best luck with them. I rebuilt mine, polished the internals, and everything. It's within 5-8fps with co2.
Wanna Play Paintball
cheater13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:28 AM #6
Mentalicca

Will have to have him check the oring on the valve out. My biggest concern is that since it is used, it may just have been beat to hell. I also know in terms of reliability, Tippmann is top notch, so I have no doubt the stock parts are the way to go if that is where it leads.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalicca View Post
Not entirely sure where the leak is. We have replaced all the O-Rings and reassembled a few times. It only seems to leak when the gun is cocked.

As for the velocity, I get that the paint is a big deal, and the stuff our local field makes us use definitely isn't all that great, but last time we tested, shots probably ranged from anywhere between 190 and 270 fps (same results with 2 different chronographs). I am not sure I have ever seen paint cause that must inconsistency, but I am not ruling it out.

The other thing with this is I am making him get a new barrel, as the flatline it came with looks a little beat up, and I worry it is scored or even bent to the point of being useless.That may explain part of the velocity issue, so I can probably have him screw on my X7's barrel just to test that.
Yeah, I'd definitely check the velocity without the Flatline.
For lack of a better descriptor, Flatlines can be weird.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:43 AM #8
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
paintzapper has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintzapper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I have noticed inconsistencies with velocities due to a couple of reasons:
1) Powertube is cracked
2) Internals in the power tube are not seated correctly or are worn out
3) Hammer or the channel the hammer reciprocates back and forth in is gunky and needs oil.
4) Front bolt o-ring is damaged or missing.
5) Ball detent is damaged, missing or just needs to be replaced. This allows the ball to roll forward and may not give enough space to allow for full acceleration.

Common leaks:
1) The seal between the tombstone and the powertube.
2) The valve itself (if leaking down the barrel).
3) Vertical adapter o-ring (bottom part of the toumbstone facing downwards).
4) Hose connections.

Last edited by paintzapper : 03-16-2015 at 11:48 AM.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote