Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-10-2014, 10:44 PM #1
Hungryandfat83

Picked up my first tippmann A5 used. couple issues

Just bought an A5 with response trigger, flatline, and a low pressure regulator. It also came with a bag of gear, an empire barrel kit, and a few other misc things. I bought it as a second marker to have around. I brought it home, put air to it. cocked it, shot once and didn't recock. Did it again. Pulled the bolt out the back, lubed it, retried. Failed to recock again. So in my inquiring mind I pull it apart completely thinking it has sat a few years, it needs thoroughly cleaned. Cleaning and lubing pieces as I take them apart I noticed the power tube is cracked almost the full length. I assume this is the cause for the gun to not recock after firing. So I reassembled it as not to lose any parts over the next few days while I order what i need to fix it. What would cause it to crack? Would the crack be the cause of my cocking issue? And what is the most reliable replacement for it? I have seen a few different options. Is there anything else I should look into or purchase to make this a solid marker again?
Hungryandfat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2014, 12:39 AM #2
TheBicklenator

TheBicklenator supports Empire
That crack is most likely your main issue. Sounds like when the hammer hits the valve there isn't enough pressure to send it all the way back for the sear to catch it. If its not that then it would be the hammer spring. But i highly doubt that's it since you said the power tube is cracked. On a side not, make sure your using oil and not lube.

What caused the crack was probably just stress over time. I'm sure that a-5 has seen some action.

You can go on ebay and find a cheap factory replacement for it. There are also a lot of after market metal power tubes for the a-5.
TheBicklenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:36 AM #3
Hungryandfat83

I picked up a tube/bolt combo as well an o-ring kit off amazon last night. When I first did it, I immediately thought low air pressure for one reason or another. It came with the gun oil that tippmann recommends. That is what the previous owner used. I use monkey poo and hater sauce in my other markers and was going to ask about it in the tippmann. But I will stick with the oil instead.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 AM #4
TheBicklenator

TheBicklenator supports Empire
I'm sure you could use lube on it and be fine, but it won't cycle as smooth. You want to have a smooth action, especially with that rs trigger. But the lube would be good to use for your piston and cyclone if you have upgraded parts.

I work on my dads a-5 all the time. I use oil on the hammer o ring, hammer, and the linkage arm. I also put a light amount on the bolt. Basically anywhere there is going to be friction.
TheBicklenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 PM #5
OrangeBlood

A tip, if you have a garage full of tools. Hydraulic oil works very well. I use my hydraulic oil any time I take a part any of my markers for cleaning/repair.
OrangeBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM #6
Hungryandfat83

Awesome info guys! I got my trinity bolt/power tube combo installed. Only took a couple minutes. Marker works fantastic now!