Community Focus

Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM #1
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

Ionic Moron helped look for balloons
Ionic Moron owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ionic Moron supports Team VICIOUS
Thinking about careers

Alright, so I'm a grade 11 now (I guess Junior for americans) and I have a year and 3 weeks until I'm done highschool. I need to start thinking of what I want to do with my life, so I made a list. I have some paintball stuff like opening a store/field, and some non pb stuff like being a graphic designer.

So today a thought popped into my head..why not prepare myself for a job in or out of the paintball world at the same time, so I'm now looking into designing product models...like cars and stuff, that could also be used to design things like markers and hoppers and products like that. I don't know what the job description or technical term for that would be..but I'm a bit lost as to what classes I should take for this career in university. I think physics would be part of it, maybe some sort of mechanics class and a class on 3D model generation?

If anyone has any expertise on the subject I'd really appreciate it.
Ionic Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2009, 02:22 PM #2
AggiePBaller
Go Aggies! Whoop!

AggiePBaller donated to help Peyton Trent
It depends on what you mean by design. Normally I would take it that you mean more of the engineering part, but your interest in graphic design makes me curious. Have you looked into Industrial Design? If you are sure that you want your career to be in paintball, I would check out that along with different types of engineering (more specifically mechanical and electrical). Also, look at your other interests and skills (I would sit down and make a list for both). You might also want to look into taking something like the Birkman Method test (it will show you what kinds of careers you are more prone to be happy in and have success with).
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything" -Wyatt Earp
AggiePBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:01 PM #3
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

last time I took a career test it told me I'd be a great semi driver...I've had 5 parking/driving violation tickets since I got my license in december...so yeah, not relying on a test to decide my future.

I really want something to do with the sport, as it's the only thing that really interests me/I have been into after more than a year (im past 2 years now) I understand the lack of $ that's brought in from a field or shop in most cases, so I'm trying to stay involved in the sport but still be able to live comfortably, I figure this way I can be hired to design anything from cars to buildings and have my own little pb company on the side.

Basically what I want to do is design the visual aspect of the product. I don't want to be the one figuring out what noid goes in or what to put in the boards or something, I just want to do something like this:

I believe atleast a few years ago the industry standard program was 3dx Max for 3d modelling (I used to be a halo nerd..modding it and adding new components and ****..but I quit video games and that nerdy stuff 2 years ago) but I'm not sure what's going on now.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM #4
AngelCockerRocker
CWD

AngelCockerRocker is a Supporting Member
AngelCockerRocker is a Paintball photographer
AngelCockerRocker supports Cereal Killerz 2
Don't plan your future around paintball. Seriously.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:05 PM #5
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

I'm not, thus why I'm picking a career that can go either way
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM #6
AggiePBaller
Go Aggies! Whoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionic Moron View Post
last time I took a career test it told me I'd be a great semi driver...I've had 5 parking/driving violation tickets since I got my license in december...so yeah, not relying on a test to decide my future.

I really want something to do with the sport, as it's the only thing that really interests me/I have been into after more than a year (im past 2 years now) I understand the lack of $ that's brought in from a field or shop in most cases, so I'm trying to stay involved in the sport but still be able to live comfortably, I figure this way I can be hired to design anything from cars to buildings and have my own little pb company on the side.

Basically what I want to do is design the visual aspect of the product. I don't want to be the one figuring out what noid goes in or what to put in the boards or something, I just want to do something like this:

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/speaker338/truck.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.kennyrosenberg.com/bshort5/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/le_dm9-bshort.jpg[/IMG]

I believe atleast a few years ago the industry standard program was 3dx Max for 3d modelling (I used to be a halo nerd..modding it and adding new components and ****..but I quit video games and that nerdy stuff 2 years ago) but I'm not sure what's going on now.
The Birkman isn't like other tests (that's how come they can charge more than others). But, I can understand not wanting to take something like that. I just like to throw it out there, because I know how much it has helped everyone that I know of that has taken it.

More importantly, it sounds like to me that you are wanting to go into Industrial Design. First, check out that field and the schools that offer that (if you have not already). Then, check out Rhinoceros 4.0. From what I have seen it is going to be the industry standard (if it is not already). I am an architecture student, and have just recently learned that program. It is a very powerful modeling program that blows 3dMax out of the water (at least in my opinion). They offer a trial version, and if you are a Mac user they might still be offering it for free (they are trying to work bugs out, so in turn for you helping them they give you the program for free).
Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM #7
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

thanks aggie! I'll look into that
Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM #8
AggiePBaller
Go Aggies! Whoop!

No problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM #9
nerve2030

the field your looking for is industrial design one of the better schools for this is the art institute (Pittsburgh in my case) i hear their classes are great very hands on and such the only problem is their really expensive. i was going to go there for industrial design after i got my cad degree but the cost was too prohibitive for me i think it was like 40k per year or something. my whole PTI degree only cost that much.
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 PM #10
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

Yeah, a rep from the vancouver art institute came to my school, I gave him my shipping info so they send me some papers and stuff.

40k is damn expensive. My parents saved enough for me that I'll get one free year. I didn't think it'd be that much
Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 PM #11
nerve2030

its been quite a while since then so don't take my word on it. i think your going in the right direction though if you have an interest in design at a product level don't let the price discourage you too much every thing thats bought needs to be designed. so you will find a job will it be in paintball or cars unfortunately most likely not but if you don't try your chances go to zero.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:10 PM #12
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

Student loans ftw eh?

Maybe by the time I'm 30 I can pay it off and get a house
Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM #13
AggiePBaller
Go Aggies! Whoop!

Student loans, grants, scholarships, etc.

Where there is the will, there is a way. Also, if you show enough talent and interest, a lot of schools will help you find a way. Some are better than others when it comes to that, but most will at least help some.

You need to start now learning as much as you can about the profession, and build a portfolio. Read books on design, learn the programs, and start designing stuff. If you want, I can point you to some good books on design, and would be willing to give you some good projects/ideas. Just pm me if interested.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM #14
nerve2030

ya the one thing i learned is if your interested in product design thats not a cad degree (what i have). but i have the ability to design internals and pick a noid to run a gun i even have a decent understanding of the programing of boards. but when it comes to designing an attractive exterior for my smexy internals its all trial and error and usually a compromise between whats in my head and what i can get the program to do. for right now it probably good if you look at what is widely considered good design but in the long run you want to develop your own unique style that sets you apart from the rest. anybody can design from a book but can you design like da Vinci or even Jules Verne way ahead of you time and have the insight to see where things are headed before they even know them selfs.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 PM #15
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

I called the vancouver art institute today and got some info on coarse fees and lengths..after books and dorm (which is apartment style instead of tiny brick wall rooms) it's 30,000/year for a 1.6 month coarse in 3D Modeling and Modern practical design. I might as well do it. Application fee is only 150 bucks (plus a 300 dollar plane trip to vancouver :S) and I have 40,000 saved up...so I'd have 10,000 dollars to live on for a year and a half with all the boarding costs and heat/water bills taken care of.

KD ftw.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:20 PM #16
jbench775
FREE AGENT!!

pfft i just did a couple online test and the all told me different things. one said i was passionate and very emotive: i am a sociopath- i do not feel emotions lol. stupid tests.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 PM #17
AggiePBaller
Go Aggies! Whoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbench775 View Post
pfft i just did a couple online test and the all told me different things. one said i was passionate and very emotive: i am a sociopath- i do not feel emotions lol. stupid tests.
There is a huge difference between the test that I recommended and the free ones that you find online. The one that I was talking about is one that a lot of bigger companies make their employees take before giving them positions higher up. It is uncanny how well it describes you and with such great detail. You are comparing t-ball to Major League Baseball.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 AM #18
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist plays in the APPA D5 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePBaller View Post
There is a huge difference between the test that I recommended and the free ones that you find online. The one that I was talking about is one that a lot of bigger companies make their employees take before giving them positions higher up. It is uncanny how well it describes you and with such great detail. You are comparing t-ball to Major League Baseball.
no pitcher or catcher ftw.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM #19
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

I'd really appreciate it if an industrial designer posted here to give me their first hand opinion on the job, and to give some insight about what it's like and what I should do to prepare.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 AM #20
Nauseousdrop
Taking a procrastishower

It'd be pretty difficult to get a job as an industrial designer specifically designing things you would want to design, especially something like a marker. I believe, though I am not positive, that it is a "take what is assigned to you" type of job. I don't know too much about industrial designers, but they can kind of be compared to architects (industrial designers design products, architects design buildings). A lot of architects going into the field go into it believing they will be designing awesome buildings, but 99% end up designing houses and projects they don't really care about. Though if you work hard and have a lot of creativity and connections it could all work out. And i believe the median salary for industrial designers is about 40,000 to 70,000 US dollars, depending on where you live and how much experience you have, which is pretty decent. Most industrial designers will tell you it is a low stress and fun job, which is a big plus too.

If you were interested in designing the mechanical parts of the marker that would be an engineer.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM #21
srmd22

You want design. Take science classes, all of them, and art. Then get a BA in either engineering and/or a design related artistic major. Alternatively, there are schools of design out there. It is a HUGELY burgeoning area, because so many companies now rely on the functional and aesthetic designs of their products to give them an edge (can you say "Apple"?). There was a cable tv show on it recently, in fact.
srmd22 is offline   Reply With Quote