Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM #22
Laureate
strength beyond strength
 
Laureate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
If you want to be with God, here's how.
Wouldn't you agree that this is an incredibly inefficient way of "being with God"? Besides, aren't you closer to God in Heaven?
__________________
ST:F - Playin with the boys
Laureate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM #23
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Well the facts and questions he posted certainly kill the idea of a worldwide flood. But they certainly don't disprove the possibility of the story being about a regional flood. The Tigris and Euphrates could easily have been the subject of the story, recorded by someone who probably didn't have the best understanding of geology. There is no reason the story couldn't have been the product of an ancient people's wild imagination at the witnessing of a natural occurrence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Yeah, I think they actually proved there was a flood in the Mesopotamia.
Yes, there was localized flooding and this is where it is thought that the global flood myth originated. It is also believed to be the source for Gilgamesh

But this thread is about the GLOBAL flood myth.
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM #24
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
so you are admitting loss?
yup - for this thread, since the assumption is an absolute world-wide, global flood, and in context with the plethora of questions that would take a very long time to address individually (as was the case in many flood threads in the past that were discussions, and not about winning/losing an argument).
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 AM #25
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
Wouldn't you agree that this is an incredibly inefficient way of "being with God"? Besides, aren't you closer to God in Heaven?
I don't know if I would call it "inefficient". creatures on this whole planet get to "evolve" and get better as time goes on, but God's word isn't allowed to change and get better in response to the way people are and what works for them?

In the OT stuff, whether you call them stories, histories, whatever, people kept telling God "we can do it, just give us a chance". None of those people ever stuck to it and actually followed what he asked for any period of time. So God, at some point, decided it was impossible, and took away the burden of action and sacrifice, which would be Jesus' role according to the Bible.

I usually take a Leibnizesque stance on it thinking "well, if he could have done it more 'efficiently', he would have". It's as efficient as possible. As for why and when he decided to do such, I don't know. It's like getting angry at the sky for being blue. It is what it is, and maybe one day we'll be able to understand why its that way. Probably not in the scientific way we've discovered why the sky is blue, but some form of knowledge.

Whether or not the faith is placed correctly, we'll all find out one day. But I will say, I've seen what happens when people actually follow Jesus, or try to mimic him, and its pretty good for people in general, so I can't fault the Bible for that.

I agree that believing in all of it is at least slightly less sensical than other things. But as we've discussed before, simply being bound to rationality isn't a very good reason to trust it, etc etc. but I think I may be part of that .17% you're talking about. or not, since I still don't believe it. I come off as a lot more pro-Christianity on here than IRL.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM #26
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
An omnipotent being would not need to evolve his word.
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 AM #27
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
An omnipotent being would not need to evolve his word.
even if the people he was telling it to have changed and evolved?
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM #28
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
even if the people he was telling it to have changed and evolved?
Why would his word need to evolve if he knows all from the beginning to the end of time?
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM #29
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
if time doesn't exist, in a "real" sense, how does one "know all" from it's "beginning" to "end"...wow lots of quotation marks.

where, praytell, does the past exist in the universe? or the future?

edit: actually, could you please explain how him knowing everything means has a bearing on my statement? I'm a bit confused.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 AM #30
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Quote:
yup - for this thread, since the assumption is an absolute world-wide, global flood, and in context with the plethora of questions that would take a very long time to address individually (as was the case in many flood threads in the past that were discussions, and not about winning/losing an argument).
Translation: I'll only participate if the discussion is on my terms.
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM #31
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Am omnipotent being knows all, being so he would know how his subjects would take his word. Given that he would give his word out as truth and it would not need to be changed in any way. His word would hold up to scrutiny. Needing to evolve his word shows a lack of true truth in his word in the first place.

Now back to our regularly scheduled FLOOD thread.
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 AM #32
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Am omnipotent being knows all, being so he would know how his subjects would take his word. Given that he would give his word out as truth and it would not need to be changed in any way. His word would hold up to scrutiny. Needing to evolve his word shows a lack of true truth in his word in the first place.

Now back to our regularly scheduled FLOOD thread.
I think you are missing what I mean when I saw his word is "evolving", as if he changed his mind on his rules or something.

but whatever, enjoy your thread, hopefully you find soeone stupid enough to argue with you on it for the lulz.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM #33
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Translation: I'll only participate if the discussion is on my terms.
no
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
...
but whatever, enjoy your thread, hopefully you find someone stupid enough to argue with you on it for the lulz.
this.

we have had these discussions many times in the past, and they were just that, and I present my beliefs. this is an argumentation with a need for a winnar and a loozar. no need to present my beliefs here, they are not for "winning an argument". didn't we establish that CP is the winnar, already?
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM #34
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
See this thread is to present your side, back it up with facts & figures and then wait & respond to the other side. If you cannot answer the questions in the first post with your proof then we shall consider your beliefs myth and fantasy.
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM #35
hsilman
Disgustipated
 
hsilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Big Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
See this thread is to present your side, back it up with facts & figures and then wait & respond to the other side. If you cannot answer the questions in the first post with your proof then we shall consider your beliefs myth and fantasy.
who's belief are you talking about?

who in here has said they believe in a global flood? sounds like you're looking for an excuse to shadowbox.
__________________
This is necessary. Life feeds on life
feeds on life
feeds on life
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM #36
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
RP has previously. That is what this thread is about so....
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM #37
Stupid_Admins
all you can handle
 
Stupid_Admins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: §o*Çal®
Stupid_Admins posts videos on PbNation
Good OP C.P
__________________
Stupid_Admins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:21 PM #38
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid_Admins View Post
Good OP C.P
Thanks
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM #39
Gold Leader (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beneath The Waves
I read that the rainfall neccessary to flood the world in forty days and forty nights would have to fall so fast and so much it would be equivalent to Hydro Mining. Which would have eradicated all features on the planet.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM #40
sirX
The next Jeremy Salm
 
sirX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
sirX donated to help Peyton Trent
sirX supports Team VICIOUS
sirX is reppin' sidebar 4 life
sirX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Hey CP, just curious...


Why do scientists think it is possible Mars had a global flood, however, impossible for Earth?
sirX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM #41
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirX View Post
Hey CP, just curious...

Why do scientists think it is possible Mars had a global flood, however, impossible for Earth?
If there is evidence of such an event, then guess what the answer is. BECAUSE THERE'S EVIDENCE! There is no evidence of a global flood on earth.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:39 PM #42
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Ding Ding Ding, WB beat me to it.

SlamJack avvy War?
cryptic.paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump