Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM #1
dozer899

D-Day: your prefered upgrade / change?

I'm gonna ask here on PB nation where the D-Day staff can't really purge the forum (I think??).

What would you change for your enjoyment of the game? (your top two)

First: I'm pretty bummed about the general lack of water this year. The only two water buffs I saw were at the Airfield (axis) and Coleville (allies). Where in the heck were the rest of them? nothing at UTAH or the Causeway. My unit brought our own & ended up supplying the allies till about 12:00 cause we didn't have any buffs till then.

Second would be how they ran out of paint at the allied DZ at 4 pm during the game.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM #2
MurderFX

This was my first D-Day but 23 years of paintball I've played a ton. My first two intial changes for enjoyment would be:

1. Overall organization: Don't get me wrong - it's not bad and as a first year player I got through everything - but it definitely wasn't easy at some points. The registration window needs to be 2-3 windows during busy times. I easily waited 45 minutes in line with only 10 people in front of me to get registered. I was told to check in with my XO - yeah I had no idea where or how and not one staff person could help. It didn't matter at the end of the day but if I was truely suppose to check in with him/her not one staff member could help - that's poor organization IMO. Organization prior to games. On the Airfield Assault game on Thursday it took way to long to get the game going and then to just have the Germans walk back at the end was stupid (have them start walking first if that's how things are going to be done). On Saturday morning I had no idea who or where the 709th was and if it wasn't for one and only one ref/staff helping my teammate and I we'd never had known what bus to catch. The rest of the staff just said the 709 hadn't left yet (when indeed the main group had already left). The one ref though actually held the last bus up for us to get out to Utah Beach.

2. Water at the DZs. Seriously no water down at Utah DZ for the axis was sad (and from what I heard a few other DZs didn't have water either). All these warnings about keeping hydrated yet no water - lol. Luckily, although unfortately at the same time, Utah beach fell fast and the Airport DZ had water.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about anything - I had a ton of fun and will definitely be back. I'll also state if you had to pick one game to go to a year - OK D-Day should be that one. It truely is an excellent field, excellent play, the refs/staff are all very nice, and safety was a big concern for all.

Oklahoma D-Day 2012 - German Army - Join the fun
Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 PM #3
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
For me, The first thing I would do is get paint better suited for the hot humid Oklahoma weather. The paint used was not cutting it at all!

Second, I would add an X-ball tournament worth a couple hundred points for the team that wins. Then the 82nd Airborne X-ball regiment (XBR) would mop up ;-)
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 AM #4
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
First off, we would smash you guys. Second, they try to hold a tournament every year, and just like this year, it fails.

Last edited by Buckfrenzy : 06-15-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: If you can't tell the first part is sarcasm.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 AM #5
oklahomaoutrage09
**** SP

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfrenzy View Post
First off, we would smash you guys. Second, they try to hold a tournament every year, and just like this year, it fails.
Yeah, the speedball I watched was pretty lame. Almost a disgrace if you ask me.

Viking
PneuMag
Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 AM #6
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Agreed. I was with four other guys and every time we were on the field we rolled the other team pretty bad. I'm not sure we were there at the right times though...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 AM #7
polarpaxton
WooPig

polarpaxton plays in the PSP
polarpaxton plays in the MiLP
polarpaxton helped look for balloons
polarpaxton is an NCPA player
yeah the speedball was pretty scrubby
but it is a scenario event...
my first dday, thought it went well for the most part

atleast thats what i saw from the paint truck
NCPA AllStars Lifetime member
Marine T-Shirts, help support USMC paintball in 2015
APL
Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 AM #8
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderFX View Post
1. Overall organization:
Go to axiscommand.org. Much organization is done there for the German side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderFX View Post
Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about anything - I had a ton of fun and will definitely be back. I'll also state if you had to pick one game to go to a year - OK D-Day should be that one. It truely is an excellent field, excellent play, the refs/staff are all very nice, and safety was a big concern for all.
Good to hear. We look forward to having you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs0349 View Post
Second, I would add an X-ball tournament worth a couple hundred points for the team that wins. Then the 82nd Airborne X-ball regiment (XBR) would mop up ;-)
That would be the Invasion Bowl which was canceled due to heavy rain.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 AM #9
Dog Soldier Illinois
Peace Warrior

Our teams first trip to OK-D-Day. We'll be coming back. Overall 8/10...but

1. Signs on trees or posts pointing in the direction of the various sections of the field. Seems silly not having such on a field that big

2. WATER

3. better shuttle system. We come to play paintball, not participate in a walkathon

4. More refs

5. More choices of paint

6. Almost impossible to get our RV out after the game, cars parking on the road

7. Better Maps (or some field signs)

8. SIGNS guiding you to the park the last few miles. We spent 2 hours on the last 2 miles trying to locate the park.
RIP Dog 1
DOGSOLDIERSPAINTBALL.COM
WE ARE GOING BY YOU WITHOUT FIGHTING IF YOU LET US BUT WE ARE GOING BY YOU

Last edited by Dog Soldier Illinois : 06-15-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:40 AM #10
Dugdathug
Cold,old-school killer.

Quote:

Not if the Aussies are there mate.... Your mops would only be there as crutches for your sorry beaten bodies.... I didn't make it this year, but i will next year, u better start training now.....
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 AM #11
MurderFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
Go to axiscommand.org. Much organization is done there for the German side.
custar
I'm definitely on axiscommand under the same user name. It still didn't help once I was there. Again I knew I was suppose to find my XO but not one person working for ddayadventurepark could help me to how to locate them. like I said - at the end of the day it didn't matter as I got to the right location and got to play with the right people.

Oklahoma D-Day 2012 - German Army - Join the fun
Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 AM #12
JollyGreen
Guns, Guitars n G-Strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfrenzy View Post
The year we played SPPL was awesome.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 AM #13
MU_Tiger
The Matrix has you...

Quote:

custar
That would be incorrect. The "SF vs SF" mini-scenario was cancelled, according to the Game Coordinator & Staff because of lack of German attendance, again.... and that they would however be playing in the Invasion Bowl instead. When Ghost Recon and the flamingos showed up, the German side had maybe 10 players. Only 2 "quarters" were played, the second with a large cross-over by the Allies to play for the Germans, which included the SAC. Still wasn't 'even', but was played.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM #14
bigdogs17
where is my banana?

first, have a bigger variety of paint and more of it. the jt paint warped too fast. it really sucked for the allies when the dz at colleville ran out of paint in the afternoon too.

second, either get more refs or get the ones there to do something. Don't get me wrong, there were several refs doing their job and my hat is off to them. however, in the dz at omaha, there were maybe 10 refs just chilling not doing anything and on the beach i only saw 3.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM #15
blackmagic71

This was my 4th Oklahoma D-day and I've been playing paintball since 2001 and here are some improvements I'd like to see....

1. Better organization. (To many times I asked a ref what was going on or when something was happening and they had no clue. Also the two mini scenarios I played in during the week didnt start anywhere near on time and we often just milled around the air ball fields while we waited for people to get things together.)

2. Better Air. (I never had a fill about 4100 psi or so the whole week and having that extra 400psi would have helped me out in a few spots. Also in the past the main camp ground had a much better air station than this year.)

3. Parking and camping spots. ( I was with the German 352nd ID and there is generally a nice little road down the middle, but noobs filled it up with tents and cars. Had there been an emergency there would have been no chance of me getting my vehicle out. I'd like to atleast see well marked road areas where vehicles cant be parked and tents cannot be pitched. To take it one step further I think it would be nice if camping spots got laid out grid style to keep things more organized.

4th. The paint. (It was terrible this year compared with the past several years. It swelled alot, wasnt particularily consistent and generally was kind of a let down. What happened to Draxxus?)

Edit: I thought it was neat in the past when we had the option of regular paint for $65 and premium for $75.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM #16
pwb

They have to fix the beach assault.

Frankly, I'm surprised that they continue to draw for the divisions that have to assault the beach. You've got to repeatedly climb a muddy, slippery hill (many of the players are not in the physical condition required), there is virtually no cover (unless you are hugging the hill - which means you are going nowhere - you are going to get peppered), there is a creek to contend with at the landing craft (I don't know how many players I saw land flat on their backs trying to re-enter the landing craft - two years ago someone broke their leg in the creek), you are inundated with paint and you can barely see the Germans in their bunker positions, let alone fire on them.

It got to the point where the Germans didn't even bother to take cover in their bunkers.

This is the toughest part of the game, and it should be. But changes need to be made to make this a fairer fight and give the Allieds a chance to make some headway. You see a lot of players who simply get tired of trying to run up a hill to get repeatedly blown to pieces without even getting a shot off or a glimpse of at what they are suppose to fire.

Last year, the Allieds were just able to get up the hill. This year, it seemed impossible to do that much. If there were overwhelming numbers, perhaps the Allieds would have a chance by drawing down the Germans' air and paint, but there are not overwhelming numbers and even if they were, the conditions make a large push almost impossible. But even this isn't close to the actual recreation of the beach landing on D Day. It's not much of a paintball game to spend three hours as paintball fodder running up and down a hill.

I think if you don't make some changes, you're going to see participation in divisions that assualt the beach fall off. That would be a shame. Some changes, as well as better Allied preparation (many of the players are new and have no idea where they are going or what they are trying to accomplish), could keep this from happening.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 PM #17
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Utah is always a tough fight, but after seeing Omaha for the first time this year, I have to agree with you. The only way to take it (in my opinion) is to come from the Sword beach side, and clear the trenches that way.

The Allies were close to doing this, but with the smaller numbers this year they didn't have the bodies needed to simply overwhelm the defenses.

That being said, they just kept doing the same crap over and over again with no effect. If the first 5 "run up the hill at them and die" attempts fail, maybe try something else?

In 2007 they put a much more concerted effort into attacking Colleville from the West early in the day. They took it, and then obviously Omaha fell very easily.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM #18
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugdathug View Post
Not if the Aussies are there mate.... Your mops would only be there as crutches for your sorry beaten bodies.... I didn't make it this year, but i will next year, u better start training now.....
Awesome! We look forward to some good competition. We didn't have much luck finding any this year! More X-ball players need to show up. The fields are nice and it's a good time. I love X-ball and scenario, so it would be awesome if the competition was top notch for both!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 PM #19
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Quote:

custar
I'm pretty sure the invastion bowl is nothing like a 5-man X-ball tournament and didn't count for any points.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 PM #20
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
1. every tank should have a ref with it at all times. a minute into the game a tank came behind us at Pegasus Bridge, which theyre not supposed to do until they capture the bridge.

2. PAINT. everyone knows JT paint is ****ty. dont have JT paint next year or alot of people wont be back...

3. the refs gave the Allies the points for Omaha beach during a CEASE FIRE. we were told they would add on an extra 10 minutes to give us an opportunity to take it, but they never did. big there

Kick'n Paintball Park
Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM #21
polarpaxton
WooPig

polarpaxton plays in the PSP
polarpaxton plays in the MiLP
polarpaxton helped look for balloons
polarpaxton is an NCPA player
Quote:
More X-ball players need to show up. The fields are nice and it's a good time.
NCPA AllStars Lifetime member
Marine T-Shirts, help support USMC paintball in 2015
APL