Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM #1
Apple 3.14
 
 
Apple 3.14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Apple 3.14 supports Empire
Newbie starting PB - Woodsball/Situational

Hey PbNation,

New to the forums and excited to be here. Hopefully some of you can help me out.

To start:
I have an outdated 98 Custom with an upgraded 14' tippmann barrel.
- I have old CO2 Tanks -
- I have extra pods
- standard gravity fed hopper
- single lens mask

Definite purchases:
E-flex thermal mask
Some sort of HPA?
New Hopper?

So I want to get back into playing PB on the weekends - the close PB places is mostly woods and scenario. I know that eventually I want to get a new gun/ perhaps electrical for faster gametypes. But for now I desperately need a new thermal mask and a new tank.

What tank should I get. Price isnt a huge factor, but want something reasonable for what im using. I don't know much about all the different kinds, i just know about the size and difference between CO2 and HPA.

Also, should I invest in a new hopper. Since im using a 98 Custom, i dont think many upgraded hoppers will help to much, until I get a new gun.

(i've read a bunch of posts already and trying to piece together all the responses, so hopefully knowing what I play and how often i play will help with appropriate answers!)

Thanks again!
Apple 3.14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2016, 11:11 AM #2
ekkthree
Hurry up and relax
 
ekkthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dirty Air
ekkthree owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ekkthree has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree supports Ninja Paintball
for scenario/woodsball type play, i don't know if you really need an electric gun or even carry the pods to support that kind of shooting. the 98 should be good if it's working well. probably want to do a complete strip down, clean, and relubing. also replace orings as needed.

good call on a new mask. probably the most important piece of gear you'll own.

regarding tanks, find a good condition carbon fiber tank in hydro. ninja, guerrilla, etc. all the marketing aside, they all work just fine. something reasonably recent will also keep up with newer guns if you upgrade later on.

regarding hoppers. yes, you can do better than a standard gravity feed. a proto primo will serve you well for now and are like $15. if you want a motorized one to use with an electric gun later on, you can check out the hopper subforum, but certainly you don't need one for the 98. popular ones now are the rotor v3, spire, and hfx. used rotors are kind of the go to recommendation cuz they work well and can be had used for 70-90 or on closeout for ~120 i think. not really worth it to consider the newer r2.

or if you want to punt that decision, just get a used revvy.

only other thing i can think of is a pod pack. but you probably already knew that.
welcome!
__________________
SELLING/TRADING:
Empire e-Vents mask
various podpacks
WANT:
Grillz
ekkthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM #3
Apple 3.14
 
 
Apple 3.14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Apple 3.14 supports Empire
Thanks EKKTHREE!

Well the reason why im considering my next marker to be electrical is because i'd like to get into speedball and other games needed a faster shooting gun. But since im slowly getting into it again, and the closest places to play are woods, im sticking with the 98 for now.

Great advice!
-Definitely will do a thorough cleaning.
-Will get an above average tank.
-Definitely will look into the proto primo. Originally didnt think one would help, so thanks!

All in all, appreciate the advice. I shoot enough to refill atleast once on field, and I have a decent pod pack already.

Cheers
Apple 3.14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:31 AM #4
PaintballChick26
Cortana 2.0
 
PaintballChick26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cobb,GA
PaintballChick26 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
PaintballChick26 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
PaintballChick26 supports DLX Technology
PaintballChick26 supports Shocker RSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
for scenario/woodsball type play, i don't know if you really need an electric gun or even carry the pods to support that kind of shooting. the 98 should be good if it's working well. probably want to do a complete strip down, clean, and relubing. also replace orings as needed.

good call on a new mask. probably the most important piece of gear you'll own.

regarding tanks, find a good condition carbon fiber tank in hydro. ninja, guerrilla, etc. all the marketing aside, they all work just fine. something reasonably recent will also keep up with newer guns if you upgrade later on.

regarding hoppers. yes, you can do better than a standard gravity feed. a proto primo will serve you well for now and are like $15. if you want a motorized one to use with an electric gun later on, you can check out the hopper subforum, but certainly you don't need one for the 98. popular ones now are the rotor v3, spire, and hfx. used rotors are kind of the go to recommendation cuz they work well and can be had used for 70-90 or on closeout for ~120 i think. not really worth it to consider the newer r2.

or if you want to punt that decision, just get a used revvy.

only other thing i can think of is a pod pack. but you probably already knew that.
welcome!
This
__________________
Sarcastic me.... never....

Links to my sales...
Custom Joker Themed Rotor
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post94639610

Custom Grills
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post94639994
PaintballChick26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM #5
ChryslerFirePower
 
 
ChryslerFirePower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: So Cal
ChryslerFirePower owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
ChryslerFirePower has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ChryslerFirePower has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ChryslerFirePower supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple 3.14 View Post
Thanks EKKTHREE!

Well the reason why im considering my next marker to be electrical is because i'd like to get into speedball and other games needed a faster shooting gun. But since im slowly getting into it again, and the closest places to play are woods, im sticking with the 98 for now.

Great advice!
-Definitely will do a thorough cleaning.
-Will get an above average tank.
-Definitely will look into the proto primo. Originally didnt think one would help, so thanks!

All in all, appreciate the advice. I shoot enough to refill atleast once on field, and I have a decent pod pack already.

Cheers
when you get around to upgrading your marker consider buying used there's a lot of deals on good used electric markers in the B/S/T on here.
ChryslerFirePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 PM #6
Apple 3.14
 
 
Apple 3.14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Apple 3.14 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerFirePower View Post
when you get around to upgrading your marker consider buying used there's a lot of deals on good used electric markers in the B/S/T on here.
Yeah, I've been reading up a lot on the forums and I think that is probably what I'd do. There seems to be a lot of reputable sellers on here.
Apple 3.14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM #7
JordanPischke
Canadian Baller
 
JordanPischke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Carnwood, Alberta
Annual Supporting Member
JordanPischke supports Ninja Paintball
Nice to see you're getting back into it! I also started last year with the same basic setup you have( 98custom with a 14" barrel c02 tanks and some pods.)
Now yes I would get a good mask first and HPA is always nice. As for the new hopper I personally found a proto primo gravity fed hopper to work excellent with my 98 and I didn't shoot fast enough to ever have issues so I'll second checking out the primo. The kick from the 98 made the shelf in the primo work perfectly to help remove that shake and bake issue that usually comes from gravity fed.

Another thing to consider buying is a pair of paintball pants. I learned the hard way what a lack of crotch protection can result in. So either some slide shorts to wear under whatever you normally wear or some paintball pants are something I would highly recommend.

One last thing I will say is before you upgrade to as new marker just go out there and play. That is I find the best way to figure what upgrades or other things you will need/want to buy. Have fun out there.
__________________
KeepCalm&ChiveOn
ASM 2016 Jersey Thread
Do you have a empire/invert mini OLED board you wanna sell!? PM ME!
JordanPischke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM #8
ekkthree
Hurry up and relax
 
ekkthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dirty Air
ekkthree owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ekkthree has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree supports Ninja Paintball
for sure. once you're basic gear is settled, kneepads (and elbow pads if you do much crawling) are key to in game comfort. fwiw, i found that pants alone don't protect your knees well enough, you'll want actual kneepads under the pants. for obvious fit reasons, i would recommend that you buy these new in a store so you can try them on.

so many people (myself included) start down this road fixated on what they're holding in their hands. but in actuality, the best things i've bought have been what i'm wearing on my body.

and yeah, have fun
__________________
SELLING/TRADING:
Empire e-Vents mask
various podpacks
WANT:
Grillz
ekkthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 PM #9
steverc34
 
 
steverc34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: cape may NJ
A tippmann a5 or x7 would be good for woodsball.
steverc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:48 AM #10
Apple 3.14
 
 
Apple 3.14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Apple 3.14 supports Empire
That's interesting that many of you recommend getting padding/pants/protective gear. Honestly I never thought of that being a huge priority but it totally makes sense. I haven't got shot too often but definitely would love some knee pads and sliding shorts.

I did pick up a proto primo from my local shop. Going to clean and oil my gun and see how it shoots. Gotta dust this bad boy off.
Apple 3.14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM #11
gamer565
Read the manual!!
 
gamer565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OK
 has been a member for 10 years
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
gamer565 supports Ninja Paintball
Knee pads are a must, even if you have to go to Walmart and get some volleyball ones.
Worst part of the day is trying to play after taking a knee to a rock.
gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:49 AM #12
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT
 
The Inflicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
I often use kneepads for playing speedball or on urban fields with gravel or dirt playing surfaces, but I've never really seen the need to use them in woodsball. The ground I find myself kneeling on is usually soft enough to not require pads, and the pads tend to be more trouble than they're worth, slipping down to my ankles or getting hot or whatever.

Let us know how that Proto Primo works out for you.
I bought one 2 months ago and so far have not been impressed.

You said you're saving up for an E-Flex, which is a great mask, but in the meantime you may want to consider getting an Empire Helix, which is a thermal mask for only $30 on Amazon. It shares a common lens with the E-Flex, and a replacement thermal lens for those things costs as much as the entire Helix system anyway.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM #13
ProtoNY
 
 
ProtoNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Tan Valley, AZ
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ProtoNY is BST Trusted
Just to throw into the kneepads discussion... At least for woodsball, location plays a big part in if I wear kneepads, or not. When I lived in NY and played on fields that were mostly soft dirt and vegetation, I usually passed on them. Now, playing in the desert (sans woods), they are a must. Something about rocks, cactii, and ground temperatures well into the 110s, or higher, means that I want to keep my knees off of the ground as much as possible.
ProtoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump