Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM #1
Beef Supreme

New (again) with questions

Hi all. I played paintball a lot in the early 2000s but stopped around 2004. I'm finally getting into the game as I'm realizing adulthood really sucks without some fun hobbies.

The thing is, it seems like everything has changed in the last 11 years! Back then I used to have an Automag on nitro. I doubt anyone here even remembers Automags, and I *think* what we used to call nitro is now called compressed air?

I was thinking of jumping back in with a Tippmann 98 or A5. Which is the better option for mostly rec woodsball? Does the A5 have a higher rate of a fire over the 98 because of the Cyclone?

Is compressed air the same as nitro? Big advantage over Co2?

Any much needed equipment nowadays?

Thanks guys.
Beef Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM #2
tacxplosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme View Post
Hi all. I played paintball a lot in the early 2000s but stopped around 2004. I'm finally getting into the game as I'm realizing adulthood really sucks without some fun hobbies.

The thing is, it seems like everything has changed in the last 11 years! Back then I used to have an Automag on nitro. I doubt anyone here even remembers Automags, and I *think* what we used to call nitro is now called compressed air?
Some of us still remember mags, 'cockers, angel LED/LCD's, shoebox shockers, rainmakers, etc.

Nitro has always been mostly compressed air (now usually called HPA, high pressure air), it's much cheaper than getting pure nitrogen and it's what most places with "nitro" used to dispense to begin with (air is almost 80% nitrogen).

Quote:
I was thinking of jumping back in with a Tippmann 98 or A5. Which is the better option for mostly rec woodsball? Does the A5 have a higher rate of a fire over the 98 because of the Cyclone?
If you no longer have the mag, go for a gog enmey, it'll feel different (good different) but familiar (kind of like a laggy mag). It's a bit more maintenance intensive though and requires grease (dow33, molykote33) rather than oil. It'll shoot faster than a gravity hopper can feed, so you might want to get together with an old friend... a revvy (vL revlution, now marketed by empire); they still work as well as ever, they went back to the good plastic after KEE bought vL (long story short, KEE is the umbrella corporation that owns empire, diablo, 32, PMI, JT, Brass Eagle, WGP and a few others) and you can use AA or 9v batteries depending on the model. The older ones (before vL was bought by Brass Eagle's then parent company) are still being used to this day and can sometimes be found in the used equipment classifieds.

If you're considering moving to an electronic marker later, you might want to skip the revvy and go for a force feed loader, like a halo too, or a rotor/spire (if you don't mind shelling out >$80 for a used loader).

If you're dead set on a tippmann, get a 98 and a revvy, it'll be less expensive than an A5 and just as reliable, plus you can use the loader with another marker if you decide the 98 is not cutting it any more.

Quote:
Is compressed air the same as nitro? Big advantage over Co2?
Yes and yes, because it's regulated coming out of the tank and most markers nowadays include an inline regulator, the consistency is usually better than a single regulator marker fed with CO2. Some people have no fields with HPA close by and opt on putting a bottom line regulator before the usual vertical inline and use CO2; it's not seen often though.

It also suffers less pressure loss in cold weather than CO2. The downside is that, because you're not changing from a liquid state to a gas, you loose shot count from similar sized bottles (not to mention alloy HPA bottles are usually heavier than CO2 bottles of similar size and carbon fiber wrapped HPA bottles are considerably more expensive).

Quote:
Any much needed equipment nowadays?

Thanks guys.
A good mask, HPA tank, motorized loader, marker, pods and pack (because running out of paint mid game and having to go back to the staging area for more suck).

That's all I can think of that you NEED need; then there's what you may WANT need, like a carbon fiber wrapped tank, or padding, or cleats so you don't slip and slide on the field (you're usually good to go with most sports shoes or hiking boots depending on where you're playing), aftermarket parts for your marker, etc.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM #3
Beef Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
Some of us still remember mags, 'cockers, angel LED/LCD's, shoebox shockers, rainmakers, etc.

Nitro has always been mostly compressed air (now usually called HPA, high pressure air), it's much cheaper than getting pure nitrogen and it's what most places with "nitro" used to dispense to begin with (air is almost 80% nitrogen).

If you no longer have the mag, go for a gog enmey, it'll feel different (good different) but familiar (kind of like a laggy mag). It's a bit more maintenance intensive though and requires grease (dow33, molykote33) rather than oil. It'll shoot faster than a gravity hopper can feed, so you might want to get together with an old friend... a revvy (vL revlution, now marketed by empire); they still work as well as ever, they went back to the good plastic after KEE bought vL (long story short, KEE is the umbrella corporation that owns empire, diablo, 32, PMI, JT, Brass Eagle, WGP and a few others) and you can use AA or 9v batteries depending on the model. The older ones (before vL was bought by Brass Eagle's then parent company) are still being used to this day and can sometimes be found in the used equipment classifieds.

If you're considering moving to an electronic marker later, you might want to skip the revvy and go for a force feed loader, like a halo too, or a rotor/spire (if you don't mind shelling out >$80 for a used loader).

If you're dead set on a tippmann, get a 98 and a revvy, it'll be less expensive than an A5 and just as reliable, plus you can use the loader with another marker if you decide the 98 is not cutting it any more.

Yes and yes, because it's regulated coming out of the tank and most markers nowadays include an inline regulator, the consistency is usually better than a single regulator marker fed with CO2. Some people have no fields with HPA close by and opt on putting a bottom line regulator before the usual vertical inline and use CO2; it's not seen often though.

It also suffers less pressure loss in cold weather than CO2. The downside is that, because you're not changing from a liquid state to a gas, you loose shot count from similar sized bottles (not to mention alloy HPA bottles are usually heavier than CO2 bottles of similar size and carbon fiber wrapped HPA bottles are considerably more expensive).

A good mask, HPA tank, motorized loader, marker, pods and pack (because running out of paint mid game and having to go back to the staging area for more suck).

That's all I can think of that you NEED need; then there's what you may WANT need, like a carbon fiber wrapped tank, or padding, or cleats so you don't slip and slide on the field (you're usually good to go with most sports shoes or hiking boots depending on where you're playing), aftermarket parts for your marker, etc.
AWESOME! Thanks so much for that info. You brought me right back up to speed. Very helpful!
Beef Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 AM #4
gm91z28

Im in the same boat, quit playing a long time ago. first decent marker was an m3 black dragun. Thought it was amazing even with all its quirks until my friend showed up a while later with a Rat impulse. Sold it after everyone quit playing. Then every couple years my friends would want to play again so i ended up with an ICD b2k2 then they quit and i sold it, then a couple years later they started again and i got a shocker sft with a blackheart board didnt sell that. Started playing again within the last month. Honestly if your going to play just woodsball an a5 would be fine but if you are going to play any kind of speedball its going to leave you wanting a little more. Almost every (newer to me) electro ive seen has boards with rate of fire caps and several modes. Most look easy to maintain. I just picked up a used vice and love it so far, and it didnt break the bank so the wife was happy.

PM me if you want i can let you know some of the deals my friends and i have found over the last month or 2
gm91z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 PM #5
allibaba

Honestly, I'd skip the tippmann, even for woodsball. I've owned both an A5 and a 98 and while they're great and reliable (don't think I ever cleaned by 98 once), they've been basically the same forever and you can do better for the money. You can get a new one for a little over $100 bucks, but for that same money even, you could pick up one of the dream guns from when you used to play, say an angel ir3 (a gun that cost something like $1500 when it was new). Idk I might be weird, but that's what I'd do. If you'd rather have something from a company that isn't out of business, I'd pick up a used etek or bob long gun. I'd just be careful with a tippmann, you can easily spend more than the gun's worth in "upgrades" but you're still left with something that won't perform as well as a used, more modern gun.
allibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:44 PM #6
ReynoldsZ33
Bazinga

ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 supports Empire
I would say, for woodsball, Go ahead and get an Etek 3....or and ego7. Its a "highend" gun, that its still extremley easy to maintain. Just clean and lube the bolt every now and again, and the same with the ram...

It will shoot 1000000x better than any tippman, and can be had cheap..

$200-350 depending on what you get. I shot an Etek 3 for 2 years and loved it. Was awesome for Rec days....and shot just was well as your higher end guns that run you $1000+

Plus....with the ego7, There all broken in now, so they shoot smooth as ****. Some of the best shooting markers out there IMO when it comes to Poppet markers. Ive owned 3 of them, and i regretted getting rid of all of them.

I would say, a good mask (grills, Dye i4s, Flex) and your marker setup, good loader (rotor, or even a revvy if your not looking to spend $70-100 on a loader), and a CF tank. You can pick up used CF tanks for like $50-80 on here.

Then again it all comes down to what you want to spend. Tippmans are all fun and stuff, and are still bulletproof, but I've never been happy shooting one.

Look around, and weigh your options. Feel free to PM me if you need some help, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.
Old Today, 01:48 PM #7
ReynoldsZ33
Bazinga

ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ReynoldsZ33 supports Empire
I Just looked on ANSgear....they offer the Planet eclipse Etha....Halo too loader, and a tank for $460....which Is a damn good price for a BRAND NEW gun, loader, and tank.....

Just a thought.