Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-21-2015, 06:25 PM #1
kanazky
Software Developer By Day

Scenario players, do Empire Snipers work well?

Hey guys,

Currently i'm more of an indoor scenario and object based player, some woods ball but never really got into speed ball. I just sold my empire axe and was about to buy a JT Impulse (as recommended by you guys) but then a guy approached me to buy his LNIB Empire Sniper for a pretty fair price and i'm not sure what to do.

How much different is pump play? There's no where out here that rents pump guns so I won't have a chance to try it out, Both the JT impulse and the Empire Sniper are in great condition. The price point is fairly close and equals the same price I just sold my marker for.

Seem like the same company so Warranty wouldn't be an issue. The Jt impulse comes stock but without a case or anything. The Empire sniper comes stock with everything but in a hard shell aftermarket case.

One thing to note is it appears the Jt Impulse resale isn't nearly as good as the empire sniper as they are both coming out around the same level.

What do you guys think, is pump a good change for a sorta beginnerish player of woodsball and scenario?

Last edited by kanazky : 08-21-2015 at 06:30 PM.
kanazky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2015, 06:52 PM #2
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VIII
martix_agent is Boss
It's pretty rough to play with a pump at a large scenario game. There's a lot of peopel to shoot at who are shooting at you, and you can't do much about it.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 PM #3
kanazky

I imagine, the only benefit I guess is some places I play only allow markers in Semi Auto and Gravity Hoppers, so it would level the playing field a bit
Old 08-21-2015, 07:06 PM #4
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is Boss
That sounds like fun. I'd do it.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 PM #5
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I bought a pump gun in college. I've never gone back. Pump is the only way to play. I've played scenario, woods, speedball, you name it. I've played against other pumps, rentals, luxes, egos, you name it.

Do you like a challenge? Do you like seeing very sad and shocked looking faces when people realize you plastered them and their custom lasered limited edition x2000. I had a ref so amazed that anyone would play with a pump I let him play with it for a round. (he actually shot me out with it, he was quite excited).

I love my pump, I love everything about pump. Everyone, everyone that plays paintball should play pump for a year just to learn how to really play. I bet you lots of them would never go back
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:07 PM #6
kanazky

Thanks that's really inspiring! How good was your shot before you switched to pump? I am a little worried as I've only played 8 times and my aim is decent but I usually need a test shot to calibrate. Hopefully in time it gets better, been watching lots of YouTube for strategy

Thanks for the insight
Old 08-22-2015, 02:39 PM #7
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
If you're looking at a pump with a standard feedneck, you can run a normal hopper with the full 180+ paintball capacity and take follow-up shots based on where your first shot lands. The actual pumping action takes a split second to complete once you're comfortable with the marker. While there are players that believe you need to hit your target on the first shot, that's an opinion, not a fact. The second, third, fourth, and hundredth shot all count as an elimination just as equally as the first. If you're playing by the rules and you're happy, that's all that matters. Your aim and consistency will improve with experience. Get out on the field and play
Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 PM #8
kanazky

Thanks Any tips on how to improve accuracy consistently?
Old 08-22-2015, 06:36 PM #9
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Play. Accuracy will come with experience.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:09 AM #10
kanazky

Sweet just picked up a sniper, got an unreal deal on craiglist! So excited to try it out tmrw Thanks for the help again!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:22 PM #11
cpt_crunch

awesome deal man. Like someone said accuracy comes with experience, or a better way of saying it: accuracy comes with practice. One thing that you should always do with a pump, be very picky about paint and barrels. You may be able to snap off a few rounds before the bad guy gets his gun up but chances are one, maybe two shots is all you're going to get before a rope of paint goes over your head. While it doen't take much time to recock your gun it does take more time than the other guy's electro and it takes your barrel off target (maybe only slightly but, sometimes that's all that matters). So be picky about paint bore matches, you use less paint now so you can spend a little more on quality. The hundredth shot may legally count as an elimination but your hundredth shot is their thousandth shot.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:29 PM #12
kanazky

How exactly does the bore work?

I was playing today and the paint was .680, I went with the .680 barrel back and the paint wasn't shooting out the barrel well. Wouldn't fire and id re-cock and eventually 4 balls would shootish out. Some even got chopped in the barrel. Then I switched to the .685 and the paint balls literally rolled out of the gun if it was pointed downward. Still shot accurate but often times while running the paintball would slip out and id shoot air and get shot.

How do I bore match paint properly?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:38 PM #13
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanazky View Post

I was playing today and the paint was .680, I went with the .680 barrel back and the paint wasn't shooting out the barrel well. Wouldn't fire and id re-cock and eventually 4 balls would shootish out. Some even got chopped in the barrel. Then I switched to the .685 and the paint balls literally rolled out of the gun if it was pointed downward. Still shot accurate but often times while running the paintball would slip out and id shoot air and get shot.

Most guns use detents to hold the paintballs in place so that the paint doesnt' double feed. On a sniper, you're relying on the inside diameter of the barrel to hold the paint in place instead.

The key is to slightly under bore the paintballs, so that you can blow them through the barrel, but they can't roll out.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 PM #14
cpt_crunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanazky View Post

You'll want to do a procedure called bore-matching. Lots of articles on it here. The basic test is this: unscrew your barrel, drop a paintball into the barrel, if the ball falls out you are over-bored, if the ball gets stuck but can be passed through by a small puff of air you're bore matched, if the ball can't be forced through you are under-bored. There's quite a debate over which is better but, just try to bore match for now and then fiddle from there.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 PM #15
kanazky

That seems pretty easy, wish I knew about the test prior to playing. Dunno how many times balls just rolled out, but i'd imagine about 30% haha.

Any other tips for playing pump or using the empire sniper? Hard to get a good test shot in if you only get 1 shot haha, Shoots freaking darts which was amazing got a few people out

Also I find I sweat a lot, which causes my lens's to get wet, ive been wearing a toque and a head band but nothing seems to work, cant find an opponent when its so wet haha (that's what she said). Any good tips? I am running a JT Flex 8 Full Coverage and a Save Phase Sharpie.

I'd also like to throw in that the beanie makes my head sweat more im pretty sure

Last edited by kanazky : 08-23-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old Today, 09:01 AM #16
swiftreprisal

I like to wear a do-rag or a sock-hat and keep the brim just above the eyebrows. Some headwear look like bandanas, but have absorbant pads that land where your forehead sits
swiftreprisal is offline   Reply With Quote