Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-08-2016, 12:54 PM #1
PBPro563

Wink Pump gun as first marker?

I have been looking atmarkers as I have decided to finally buy gear after renting many times. I have been looking at the kaos and the pump version. Do you guys think starting with a pump gun will help me become a better player?Or should I just get a semi version? I already chose a nice ninja tank, a good thermal mask and a halo too.
PBPro563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 PM #2
wever75

wever75 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You've got the gear you need, now you just the gun. The ultimate decision is up to you, my advice would be to try both. Assuming you're renting tippman 98 customs, you've had experience with mechanical markers. Go to a field or a shop and see if they will let you try both pump and electro, especially pump, it's a love/hate relationship for many. You can't go wrong either way, it's much easier to switch from pump to electro because you need to be more tactical and skilled to be successful with a pump . Goodluck either way, PS if you've got nice gear so far, top it off with a nice gun. Buy nice or buy twice. I've never used the KP3 but I have used the empire sniper before and it shoots like a dream, and can be found used with a barrel kit here on PBN in the B/S/T section for just a little more if not the same price as the KP3, not saying the KP3 is bad, I just know the sniper is great and in others opinions it's nicer.
wever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 PM #3
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Empire
A pump is good if you want to conserve paint. The playstyle of using a pump is different than using a mechanical or electronic as you have to pick your shots and rely on good positioning to get kills. I would try playing with a pump a few times to get an idea of what the differences are before committing to buying a pump.
Infinite Resistance #21

ASM Jersey Idea Thread 2016 Edition
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:15 PM #4
Superzeus
Domer

has been a member for 10 years
Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Honestly as a new player I think you would get frustrated with a pump. You need a certain level of skill to be able to be competitive out there with a pump when you're playing with a mixed pump/non-pump group. If you don't mind a steep and difficult learning curve then go for it. Otherwise pick up a mech or low end electro now and start playing pump once you are a little more comfortable out there, because pump is super fun and I would encourage everyone to give it a shot at some point.

OG FEEDBACK
Superzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM #5
C0lin
-KP3 Owners club-

Annual Supporting Member
C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzeus View Post
Honestly as a new player I think you would get frustrated with a pump.
Thats what I was thinking. Not saying pump is bad to start with but you may want to start with a semi; once you get used to the game then try pump out.
C0lin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:38 PM #6
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
If you can try a pump out before you buy, you should. If not I would steer clear of them as your first gun. I do absolutely believe a pump can make you a better player, but not having a semi option to fall back on when you are new could result in a lot of frustrating days.
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
Did we take video or photos of you looking awesome? -->NHW Paintball Facebook
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:09 AM #7
dak22

dak22 is playing at Living Legends VII
dak22 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Buy the type of marker fitting your needs/playstyle/enjoyment. If it happens to be a semi mech or electro then so be it.

Don't go thinking pump is this magical device that makes you a better player automatically. You still need to learn the ins and outs of the game while improving on your skills.

The only guarantee you become better is through hard work and dedication, something irregardless of the type of marker you use on the field.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:52 PM #8
ekkthree
Hurry up and relax

ekkthree owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ekkthree has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ekkthree has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Try before you buy. Some people really prefer the sneaky tactical game. But a mechanical or electronic won't stop you from that style of play whereas a pump will make those skills essential. As said above, steep learning curve .

WANT:
5+ podpack
Grillz
ekkthree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:16 PM #9
keiko_819

If your set on a pump marker maybe try to pick something up with autotrigger, that way if you need a little more firepower you know it's there...but on the other hand if you get a decent mech or electro you don't have to shoot like there's no tommorow, my suggestion is to find something that feels good in your hands and comfortable for you style of play weather it's fast and agressive or patient and tactical...
keiko_819 is offline   Reply With Quote