Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 AM #1
SocalEuro

For field owners that lease land...

After a decently long goose chase, I finally found the who the owner is of some land I have in mind for a field.

I got together with a few people that have small businesses (unrelated to pb) in order to get input as to what approach should be taken next. The general consensus was that a letter should be written to the owner.

Now, my question to all of you is: what would that letter consist of? (should I be as specific as possible, should I include number$$$, ect...)
I have a rough draft already typed up, but I would like to get as much input from all angle's as possible.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM #2
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
I'd keep the letter short, but simple. Introduce yourself (who you are and how long you've lived in the area) and tell them you're interested in leasing their land. Include your phone number and ask them to call you.

Don't tell them in the letter that you want to open a paintball field. Save that for when you meet face-to-face. This will give you the opportunity to sway them if their impression of paintball is not a positive one. When you do meet with them, be sure to mention that you'll carry player medical and general liability insurance and they'll be listed as an additional insured on the policy.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM #3
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
......This will give you the opportunity to sway them if their impression of paintball is not a positive one.........
Very important.

Keep in mind also that if they have no impression of paintball and get a letter talking about it, then they will ask the first avaliable person or do some searches. However if they don't hear about it until you are sitting in front of them the first avaliable person is you.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM #4
PSI Tori
PSI

I agree. The letter is to start a conversation. Dont have the conversation with him in the letter. He will then probably call you to see what you want (if he doesnt, you better follow up). Again, ask for a meeting in person.

When you get your meeting, make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Do some homework. Know if the owner has the property mortgaged, how much he pays in property taxes, and what changes in zoning might need to take place for you to be legal, including costs.

This will help to prepare you for just how much he may ask from you on a monthly / yearly lease.

Make sure you have the insurance info handy, some basic numbers (he doesnt need to see a business plan, but needs to know you will be able to pay the rent), and any other specifics that may come up in your phone call.

You never know what he already knows. So just be prepared.

And good luck.

www.psixtremesports.com
info@psixtremesports.com
Largo, FL
727-538-9946
PSI Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM #5
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

has been a member for 10 years
anjordan77 plays in the USPL
anjordan77 donated to help Peyton Trent
anjordan77 helped look for balloons
anjordan77 is playing at Living Legends III
anjordan77 is Boss
Meeting in person is much better. Try hand delivering your letter.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM #6
SocalEuro

TargetIndy & generalee72 - +1 on everything you said. My fear is that if he hears "paintball" he may turn it down just from his own misconceptions. Thanks!

PSI Tori - I actually found what he paid for the land and taxes through the assessor's office. I just hope he will base the rent off that . And yea, I have had my plan since '06, a few of them actually. From time to time I will modify them to reflect whats going on... Thanks!

anjordan77 - I would think that hand delivering the letter would freak out the owner just a little, or even defeat the purpose of a letter. I thought a phone call was a little too aggressive...that's just me though. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 PM #7
anjordan77
All Paintball Supplies

has been a member for 10 years
anjordan77 plays in the USPL
anjordan77 donated to help Peyton Trent
anjordan77 helped look for balloons
anjordan77 is playing at Living Legends III
anjordan77 is Boss
most of the people that opposed the paintball field said they probably would have gone along with it if they had met me before hand and talked with me. otherwise they kept saying it's something they aren't familiar with and pulled the typical...not in my backyard routine.

my favorite line at the town meeting...."i listened to a paintball gun shoot online, it was very loud!" I had to explain that there is a volume function that can make a pin drop loud on her speakers.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:41 PM #8
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Take a paintball magazine with you. Use it to help form their opinion of what paintball is. I used this technique when I spoke with businesses or government entities about paintball. The pictures and articles made it easier for them to see what paintball was and they didn't have to take my word for it. Just make sure there aren't images of bloody welts or anything that might give them a negative impression.

When you do meet with them here are a few things to make sure you discuss:
1. You'll be carrying general liability and player medical insurance. Your insurance company will provide them with a certificate of additional insured, meaning they'll share in the coverage. Talk to the insurance companies and see if they'll send you a copy of the policy. That will help you to explain how they'll be covered.

2. Bring an MSDS for the paintballs with you. Show them that the paintballs are non-toxic and biodegradable. Also mention that the fill is non-staining.

3. Look for the NEISS report showing that paintball has a low incidence of injury. Show them the statistics and point out that paintball is safer than any of the sporting activities done in school. Mention that it's statistically safer than golf, bowling, and cheer leading.

4. Bring a sample of the paintball netting you'll be using. Explain how it's used.

Go through your sales pitch and find documentation that supports you. Documentation makes you appear more credible. Don't tell them, show them.

Most importantly, give them the opportunity to talk. The more they talk, the better feel you'll get for any concerns they have. Take a long pause before moving on to your next point. Make that pause longer than it would be in a normal conversation and they'll be compelled to fill the silence with their thoughts.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM #9
Welts Paintball
Store Owner

one thing to always consider, and many people forget about this... If you are going to approach this individual, and discuss anything business related with him.. remember 4 important points...

1) You need him, more than he needs you, Unless you have info to flip that...

2) Everyone has access to the internet... clean up your Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and whatever else you have online.. Google, Yahoo, and Ask yourself to see what will come-up... if you can clean it-up, do so, if you can't be prepared to answer for it....also check your friends/followers section.. if you have any friends with non-professional info or pics, remove them from your friend list before you contact this person... (I check on everyone I might do business with or hire)

3) Show him respect, call him Sir, and plan your responses.... Activate brain, before engaging mouth....

4) Sometimes the best thing to do is shut-up and listen....don't ramble, stay on topic.... and after any question he asks, wait, and see if he changes the question.. respond too quickly, and you may lead him to ask more questions...

Just my ramblings....

"Without Welts! You ain't playin"
www.weltspaintball.com__________________________________________________ ________(661) 347-6499
Welts Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM #10
SocalEuro

Wow... Thanks you guys. Lots of great, sound advice! Keep 'em coming!

What I'm picking up here is to basically introduce myself in the letter (Who I am, how long I have been living in the area, ect...) and ask for a phone call to briefly give him a general run down of what I have in mind and insist on a face to face meeting. Only then would we talk specifics...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM #11
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If you do take a magazine, take APG, you want to be careful who those magazines are marketed to.

Some of the magazines are marketed to adolescent males, not that there is anything wrong with marketing to adolescent males, but whoever you are dealing with probably isn't an adolescent male.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM #12
Welts Paintball
Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalEuro View Post
Wow... Thanks you guys. Lots of great, sound advice! Keep 'em coming!

What I'm picking up here is to basically introduce myself in the letter (Who I am, how long I have been living in the area, ect...) and ask for a phone call to briefly give him a general run down of what I have in mind and insist on a face to face meeting. Only then would we talk specifics...
Exactly... you letter should basically say.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Good day Mr. Jones

I would like to take a minute to introduce myself, I am Mike Smith, I have been a resident of Whosawhatzit County for over 5 years, and during that time I took notice of a piece of property off of Interstate 35. Recently I became aware that you are the owner of this property...

I have a business idea, and this property is perfect for what I have in mind, If you are interested in leasing a portion of this property out I would like to discuss this with you more in person.

If my information on the ownership of this property is incorrect I apologize for taking up your time.

But, If you are interested in getting together please feel free to let me know when and where would be a convenient place to meet and discuss this further.

Thank you again for your time,

Michael J. Smith
626-542-6988

MSmith@Yahoo.com

__________________________________________________ ___________

You want to keep back the paintball idea till you speak to him in person.... but you need to make it clear he will only make money doing this, and that he has no money to loose..... but at the same time... don't make it sound like a Scam or "too Good to be true"

you want him to want to call you...

"Without Welts! You ain't playin"
www.weltspaintball.com__________________________________________________ ________(661) 347-6499
Welts Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM #13
PaintballRepUSA
Safety Guru to the Famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welts Paintball View Post
2) Everyone has access to the internet... clean up your Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and whatever else you have online.. Google, Yahoo, and Ask yourself to see what will come-up... if you can clean it-up, do so, if you can't be prepared to answer for it....also check your friends/followers section.. if you have any friends with non-professional info or pics, remove them from your friend list before you contact this person... (I check on everyone I might do business with or hire)
I am going to have to call you big brother....

Actually this is true,my last construction site I was on, the employees did google searches on everyone. All of my hits under my full name came up and they go a chuckle out of the paintball ones, then I took them the next weekend and overshot them....

But they also did our vendor, found out she liked to go to topless pools here in town and put her picture up on her myspace and facebook. They ended up getting fired for sexual harrasment from their actions after they saw them (and she wasn't that damn hot to bother about anyways).

My wife who does Human Resources for living, can drag down a name on the internet to police records etc and weekly checks all family names for new pages or updates across the world. It is very interesting to see the difference between google and the software she uses, that most private investigators and investment companies will have access to.

----

Also remember google CACHES all old pages, if someone really wants to dumpster dive on you anything you ever put up can be found. Once it hits the internet consider it in stone, death date is usually 7 years on old cached pages. Example you can't find the MXS scenario stories about me anymore because its been more then 7 years and the website is gone so no more cache at google.
Independent Trainers of Nevada Inc.

Player since 1982 - Built and Sold 4 Static Fields and 3 Mobile Fields - Currently run 1 mobile fields and teach OSHA for Paintball Fields/Shops
Team Internet Member # 6996.1 (Wife is .2)
PaintballRepUSA is offline   Reply With Quote