Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 PM #1
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

DillonT is reppin' sidebar 4 life
DillonT has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
1988 Ford Mustang Convertible Build "56K beware"

Hello. I just did this over last winter. I didn't do anything too crazy,and im not yet done, but i haven't seen a build of any sort on here in a while.

Hello,
I bought this 88 from my uncle. He has had it since 89. The only thing done to it when i picked it up was a new transmision out of i believe a 94. All he did was regular maintenance.
first thing i did was install a magnaflow stainless catback. Got it for $350 shipped brand new.
this is how it sat when i bought it :

Found out the car had a massive oil leak, thought it was the rear main seal. Turned out to be a clogged screen under the pcv valve, blew the valve cover gaskets. While the valve covers were off, i sanded and polished them.

after that, i got a nice package from late model restoration. New headlights, Door bushings and pins. While the headlights were out, i rattle canned the chipped front bumper. And i threw some paint on the H.O. plaque.

Next, i got a new (used) speedometer because mine was so fogged up. new one is 160 mph.

After all of that, I made a trip down to the jersery/PA border to meet a guy from a mustang forum. I bought a rear with 3.73's an efan a new rack pinion and p/s pump and an under drive. (no pics, waiting to go in.)
By the time all of that was done, it was now too cold to drive the car and the real fun began.

Last edited by BIGN : 05-20-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: title change
DillonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM #2
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

1988 Ford Mustang Convertible Build "56K beware"

I then started gutting the interior of the car.

I got some packages in. 255 fuel pump, bbk shorty headers, bbk catted mid pipe, ford "b" springs tokiko blues, bushings, clutch cable, quadrant, steeda tri ax and new rear control arms.and probably alot more im forgetting. I bought the white seats off of craigslist for $150. Front and rear. The nasty white seats where what was original. It had tan 94 seats for the drive home i got out of a pick n pull.

at this point. it is on jackstands. the exhaust is out. the rear is out. the gas tank is out. and the radiator is out. i have pics, but they are not very good. i will get better ones today.
any questions/comments are welcome
[so, i got some more stuff in. tokiko blue shocks. ford b springs. i also bought everything i need to get my new rear runnin. (fluids brake rebuild kits seals ect.)
i also bought four 16" white ponies and two new doors. and i bought a shifter boot (all used from a guy parting out a mint car) and some other odds and ends.

Last edited by BIGN : 05-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM #3
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

ok so tonight i did some more work.
i started with unbolting the cross braces under the front of the car. i than started removing the rotors/calipers. after removing those i took out the strut with some help from my dad (those bolts are tough). to get the spring out we dropped the control arm as far as it would go and than beat it with a jack handle until the spring popped out. i also started to clean up the rear that i bought from the forum member. i have the cover off and im starting to re polish it and remove some rust. my next step is going to be taking the strut and spring out of the other side and removing the rack.
the door pics are the new doors that i bought. the light is a nice new light that i finally opened up tonight, it was an xmas present.

[/]
so this morning i finished taking the spring and strut off of the driver side. after doing that, i cleaned i and sprayed some truck bed coating on everything. looks pretty dang good. im working right now until eight and im going to do some more when i get out.[/]

Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 PM #4
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

over the past day or so, ive finished taking the other shock and strut out. i got the rear shocks out, started with the power steering and starting preping the torque boxes for welding and i started cleaning the engine bay. ill have pics later tonight.

ok so tonight, i got the headers off, got the rack and power steering like 9/10 off and im trying to figure out how to remove the ac. it has r134a if someone could give me a hand. i also did a little twoards cleaning the engine bay. im gonna do the best i can with the engine still in.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 PM #5
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

allright, good news. got some more work done. ill post pics tommorow. i don't wanna text message all the pics to my email so i need to wait to get my memory card reader tommorow.

i finished the rear wheel wells, painted the rear/assembled it and tommorow its going in. i got the old rear out completely also (was held on by parking brake lines). i gotta weld up all of the seems for the suspension and the rear and gas tank will be back in with all new shocks springs and control arms.
I CANT WAIT!. i also got a quote for a top install... $600.00 plus a $350 top kit from 50resto.com
allright i got pics now. old rear + new rear pics. painted the new rear with truck bed coating (same stuff as in wheel wells) swapped over lines and put the diff cover back on. also note the rusty backing plate from the leaky cylinder.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM #6
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

ok so ive done alot since last update
we got the rear end 90% in. (messed up one bolt i need to change)
welded the control arm mounts (idk what they are called, i just welded the seems (im not a great welder))
i started with the engine bay painting.
and we got the gas tank back in with a new pump and sending unit.
and since im that anal, i painted the drive shaft too.

[img width=600 height=800]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/dillont_gdt/mustang%20teardown/0208091100.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=139]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n259/dillont_gdt/mustang%20teardown/0208091138.jpg[/img]

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM #7
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

today i changed the tranny fluid. i was using a type of funnel that plugged the fill hole, found out the hard way that when you do that and it fills up, tranny fluid dumps out of the area where the drive shaft goes in. i also finally got the rack out and cleaned / painted the front. i cleaned the "new" rack that will be going in also.

over the past few days, ive started getting the engine bay back together. i got the new rack about half way in, i changed the plugs, installed an msd coil, removed the header gaskets, and organized the wires. the rear end is completely in now. im making another order for 50 resto tommorow, and once i get it i will have the car running soon after. i have some plugs in the engine bay that i have pictures of here, and i dont know where they go, any help is great.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 PM #8
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

so.. i believe ive got the wrong tranny gear since i have a tranny outta 94. i got headers in. rear is torqued and greased. started putting rest of exhuast in and i bought gas to fill the tank so i can start it soon. (like the next two days when i get my order)

Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM #9
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

allright got a lot for this update. Bottlefed90gt came down and helped me get one spring in last night. coming back tommorow to do the other side. found out my exhaust hanger is messed up. i fiberglassed 3 holes in the floor. i installed my efan from shifter and ghetto rigged a switch for now in the inside. i also seafoamed i and thats what the video link is. TONS of smoke. i also painted the driveshaft and installed that. another thing i did was jerry rig a cold air intake, but i dont think im going to keep it.
to install those springs, we compressed it on the bench and hoseclamped them to keep it compressed. we installed it and then i cut it with a sawzall. made a pop and the spring was in. unbelievably scary, but it worked.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 PM #10
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

has been a member for 10 years
Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
wut
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM #11
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

SHES ALIVE!!!! drove it today. today was my goal to have the car driveable. insurance tommorow, register tuesday, nothing to do all day wednesday since im on spring break (why i wanted it done today) so ill be just cruisin with a buddy of mine and his supra. heres a vid of it. ill get more in depth on what i needed to do to get it driveable later. thanks again sam! 3.73's make 1st gear go by quick, but it will pull like nothin else in most gears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4IkqHBH1E

so. to get it going the other day, we had to put new ball joints, new front calipers, pads, and lines. set the rear drums. tighten it all up, seat and seat belt and thats it. i did emisions and barely passed, and i got an alignment. yesterday i drove out with a friend of mine who has a twin turbo supra. we did like 60 miles and drove to rhode island on all back roads. we were flying, i love the car. its got a mean vibration from the rear in high speeds/rpms. i think i gotta rotate the driveshaft 180*

Last edited by DillonT : 05-18-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 PM #12
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

im gonna be replacing my water pump, and i bought a shorter belt.  i think mines too big becuase it squeals when i get on it. 
so ive got some pics.
it passed emisiosn, and thats the report in one pic, some random pics i took of it, ive been driving it alot lately. the one with the fire gear was how i drove it for a week, just a driver seat and seatbelt, no other interior. most of my old stuff is back in now tho. (note the stretch hummer in one picture )i made the top into a manual lift/lower. next up is get real plates (antiques, getting them friday) top install, doors install, subfame install (have them, but not in ) put all my new interior in + stereo, new rack, and tires.the fan pic is when i get home, i found if i do that, it leaks less coolant. ive got a new water pump and gaket to put on, just need the time.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM #13
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

got my real plates, did some more polishing, and went on a drive with some friends. gonna hopefully do the water pump tommorow.

heres a new engine pic for now. i replaced the rack, ps pump again, a new water pump, and im ordering my new tires this week. i cleaned the engine up niceley i think
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 PM #14
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

started prepping one of the doors for install. picking up tires tommorow, and hopefully installing driver door too.

got the tires. did some burnouts on the old ones. top is being installed right now. found some rust where the top drains water into a channel. i helped the top guy out, and traded him some 30 packs and we patched it all up, hes going to fix some rust in the trunk too. ill update with some pics when i get the car back. i gotta put the doors on still. i bought a paint gun, so paint should hopefully be soon.
allright sorry no updates for a while. been driving the car ALOT lately. started sanding the car for paint tonight. its gonna be a couple weeks but soon enough. after that, im doing the subframes, interior and stereo. if you didnt see, i broke down when my alternator died, and i got towed home.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM #15
worrchild387 (Banned)
i luff teh gurl scowtz

worrchild387 helped look for balloons
i dont get it.

and is gas really that cheap?
worrchild387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM #16
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

some burnouts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hT6bzWVyuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLQs1ybgHc
working on painting it. got one of two doors on so far. ordered a smooth trunk lid

and heres some of the water pump swap a while ago

still got alot to do.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 PM #17
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

and this is how the car sits now
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM #18
letspbnow
New and Improved

Well done. It looks like the effort you put in worked out well
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM #19
151*
Will Return

wait a minute, you live in a liquor store?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 PM #20
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

allright and for the gas questions
the supermarkt has like a spend 100 dollars get 10 cents off. so after a while of grocery shopping you get mad cheap gas. and an extra discount off of premium

no i dont live in a liquor store. my family owns one.
the car is not done yet. ive gotta do the interior, spray it, do a stereo, and subframe connectors.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 PM #21
IcdEmpire530 (Banned)

sounds gooood.
good work
IcdEmpire530 is offline   Reply With Quote