PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-10-2009, 10:37 PM #22
NAACP (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
He does, for the most part.

As another member of the "Good Taste Club" I can vouch for him.
But who decides what constitutes "good" taste? That's the real question.
NAACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 PM #23
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAACP View Post
But who decides what constitutes "good" taste? That's the real question.
The ST:M regulars.

We had to draw a line somewhere.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 PM #24
NAACP (Banned)

Quote:
The ST:M regulars.

We had to draw a line somewhere.
So a group of people with similar interests decides who has "good taste" in music?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 PM #25
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
So a group of people with similar interests decides who has "good taste" in music?
No, we all disagree. We have someone from each general genre.

We just agree on who is an idiot, and we bash them for fun.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:48 PM #26
twss

Now you know the ways of ST:M.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:03 PM #27
xXmurdersoulXx (Banned)

tl;dr: Death to false Metal. \m/
xXmurdersoulXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 PM #28
AnarchistScum (Banned)

Quote:
Yes.

Know what's similar about our taste? It ****ing rules.
AnarchistScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM #29
chandler SNARF
Proud owner of the Brovo.

Sticky.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 PM #30
fuhrer325 (Banned)

Quote:
Your taste in music is so ****ing bad.
fuhrer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 AM #31
NAACP (Banned)

Quote:
No, we all disagree. We have someone from each general genre.

We just agree on who is an idiot, and we bash them for fun.
That's peculiar.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM #32
Ando, raider from mx (Banned)

I don't listen to punk but I was reading wavesports ****ty thread and decided that this happens in punk a lot too: people get so hung up on declaring what's "real" and not "real" punk for no real reason. A much better reason for not liking greenday is "i think their music is bad"
Ando, raider from mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 AM #33

and seriously how can you not like this guy

did anyone see snl a couple nights ago? hilarious
Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM #34
Ov3rmind in 2006
Ov3rmind in 2006 in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Petron in the “Your Top 10 Album Openers" thread
I think the end of this scene explains the phenomenon this thread is about pretty well. Music elitists tend to be compulsive music listeners who constantly seek something new. Over time, this habit results in a large body of useless knowledge. The only time someone gets to reveal this knowledge is in a music discussion, and like some sort of academic competition, they try to out do each other. When someone who listens to music casually inquires about a certain genre, and reveals what they listen to, these elitists automatically go into showoff mode and senselessly berate the casual listener. Really, any genre of music with a wide spectrum of artists can become of interest to an elitist (which is every genre). Those genres that have traditionally had a focus on “underground” aspects (punk, metal, rap, etc) are especially vulnerable.

I'll use myself and punk rock as an example. I first got into the genre at 13 through AFI and the Misfits, two pretty standard entry level bands. Through middle and high school I continually listened to more and more, accumulating more knowledge. As a teenager, you could probably find me acting the part of the paragraph above. Now, at 22, I've outgrown punk as a subculture and mainly just appreciate it as your standard jaded douche bag would. Since high school, the Internet has also aided in the exposure to new music, what with blogs, filesharing, forums and the like. Because of the Internet, in fact, I have been able to discover multiple bands on a daily basis for a number of years. At this point in my life, I really don't care if anyone listens to “real” punk, because I know 99.99999% of the world does not care to go through the effort I have to discover new bands. Why would any sane person, really? From my perspective, most people have a very vague idea of what the genre is about, and no clue as to what it really had to offer in terms of bands and influence on other subsequent genres. The only time I might come off in a condescending way is when casual listeners feel the need to be obnoxiously vocal about their opinions. I feel like if you have a shallow knowledge of something, you probably aren't in a position to argue about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando, raider from mx View Post
I've been thinking about a trend that people take when trying to get someone "into" a certain genre of music
The thing is, however, people with an extensive knowledge of any musical genre rarely care about getting other people into that kind of music. It is just an opportunity to show off their knowledge. Anyone who is actually interested in introducing someone to a new genre already knows the best bands to do it with (and they are often not the most essential ones). I will make recommendations to people who are getting into the same kind of music I am into, or also have similar compulsive listening habits. However, I avoid conversations with those who want to discuss punk in the context of Rancid, The Sex Pistols, and NOFX. I tend to enjoy discussing music the most with people who have a similar degree of familiarity with what I listen to, and might possibly be able to point me in the direction of something new.

The Internet has made this whole cluster **** even worse. Like I said above, even the most obscure music is simply a Blogsearch away. Anyone can become an expert in any genre of music in a much shorter time than used to be possible. The antagonistic atmosphere that usually arises in online forums just accentuates the kind of discussions I mentioned earlier, which are being discussed by far more people than they used to be. The Internet is a great resource for the causal listener to find a new band every once in a while. However, they will have to wade through the compulsive listeners, who are looking for new bands every single day. When the two interact, there is a disconnect that leaves the casual listener wondering why the **** he/she even bothered to ask.

edit: And in regard to the underground vs mainstream aspect of the argument- The underground is where compulsive listeners spend most of their time looking, as that is where the major body of most genres exists. The tendency to knock more commercial artists is because these are the ones that require little to no effort to discover or enjoy. There really is nothing inherently worse about the artists who play to a larger audience, but if someones taste's lie exclusively in this realm, then it is taken to indicate something about that person's involvement/knowledge of a genre (or, sometimes, music in general). The competitive aspect of the more compulsive listeners weeds out those who are less familiar with the underground chunk of a genre (a major and important part of any genre).

I hope this post made sense, I had trouble getting some of those ideas into text.

Metal and Hardcore Records: Original early Sepultura LPs, Necros - Conquest for Death LP

Last edited by Ov3rmind in 2006 : 05-11-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Ov3rmind in 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 PM #35

yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said there

the simplest way I can put i think is that a lot of people get caught up trying to make their taste in music "better" rather than "bigger," which is what they ought to be doing
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 PM #36
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I probably would because Overmind is usually right.

But I can't possibly subject myself to reading all of that.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM #37
noob_pwner

Quote:
I don't listen to punk but I was reading wavesports ****ty thread and decided that this happens in punk a lot too: people get so hung up on declaring what's "real" and not "real" punk for no real reason. A much better reason for not liking greenday is "i think their music is bad"
there's something else operative there...non-musical. as a culture, punk is anti-capitalism. green day capitalized off some pop bastardization of that culture and sold it to people who had no knowledge of that real culture. that spawned loads of unauthentic "punk" bands which ****ed up the music genre and culture.

i think there's this continuous process of influence and innovation that evolves everything, specifically forms of expression in culture. the people who geek out on something usually end up doing it better/knowing more than who they were emulating. from that, they become the most influential of something new, but are 'before their time' and inaccessible. however, a number of people do copy them, but don't do it nearly as well...they create an accessible/popular version of it which later on nearly everyone follows because it's the most accessible/popular. meanwhile there are the elitists who search back in time and seek out who was the most authentic...who was the most influential...who was the most elite. a select few of those elitists will reinvent something based on what the older elitists did... and creating something new, then the whole cycle repeats...

as an elitist, i'm always searching for that rawness and realness...

ov3rmind: well put.

Last edited by noob_pwner : 05-11-2009 at 06:33 PM.
noob_pwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM #38
ShinySombrero

I agree, I tend to think that I have good taste, but I also listen to generic, repetitive radio rock. And it pisses me off when people bash on others for liking a band

All in all I listen to everything except for country and rap, because it sucks..i dont think i need a dodgy
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Making mistakes is a lot better than not doing anything.
-Billy Joe Armstrong
ST GDT:Over 10000
ShinySombrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:04 PM #39
fuhrer325 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySombrero View Post
I agree, I tend to think that I have good taste, but I also listen to generic, repetitive radio rock. And it pisses me off when people bash on others for liking a band

All in all I listen to everything except for country and rap, because it sucks..i dont think i need a dodgy
Your taste in music sucks.
fuhrer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM #40
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySombrero View Post
All in all I listen to everything except for country and rap
I wonder why this is so common.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 PM #41
ShinySombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Your taste in music sucks.
I have decent taste, I just only post in the gay threads because Im just getting into good things and don't like dealing with people who don't suggest things and all they do is flame someone for asking a question or bringing up a band that isn't "good"
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Making mistakes is a lot better than not doing anything.
-Billy Joe Armstrong
ST GDT:Over 10000
ShinySombrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 PM #42
Ov3rmind in 2006
Ov3rmind in 2006 in 2010

Quote:
the simplest way I can put i think is that a lot of people get caught up trying to make their taste in music "better" rather than "bigger," which is what they ought to be doing
I agree completely. Expanding your taste in music gives you perspective on exactly what kinds of music are out there, and you'll become even more aware of what kinds of music you really love.

ShinySombrero, writing off entire genres with decades of growth and innovation isn't something I'd ever recommend doing. I don't really enjoy country, and my taste in rap is pretty limited, but neither "sucks". There's a difference between enjoying something on a personal level and giving credit where it's due for artistic innovation.

Metal and Hardcore Records: Original early Sepultura LPs, Necros - Conquest for Death LP
Ov3rmind in 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote