Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-30-2009, 10:58 PM #1
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

has been a member for 10 years
The Chronicles of Spellborn

Anyone heard of or played it yet?

I actually just caught wind of this today, seems fairly new. In my quest to find an MMORPG to hold me over until D3, I stumbled upon this, did some reading, watched some gameplay videos, and decided to download a free 2 week week trial they have going on.

It seems to have a few interesting ideas working for it, and a couple I'm not so sure about just yet. Although it doesn't seem to frown upon the idea of group instances, it's doesn't make them an absolute either. You can work in groups of up to 4, or you may experience instances by yourself.

Gearing seems pretty wild in this, not completely sure how I will like it. From what I gather, you get to choose how you look and what type of armor you wear based solely on what you find looks cool, there are absolutely no statistical changed between any of the armor or weapons. Attributes are given to gear based upon what "gems" you put in them. I'm not sure if this is for the better or not. Personally, I like the idea of working towards better looking gear, but I'm willing to give this a shot.

The play style is a little different too, which is sort of good, and sort of bad. I have read a few reviews that say it's a clunky system in place right now, and if you are someone who is used to the mindless key mashing of WoW, and don't have the desire to learn something else, you won't enjoy it, period. As you enter combat, a cross-hair of sorts comes up, and if you don't aim at the enemy you are trying to attack, you will miss. You dodge what you are skilled enough to dodge, and if you want to crit, you need to find a way to get behind your enemy for an attack. In my opinion, this could go really well if done perfectly, and terrible if not 100%.

The action bar is a rolling cylinder. As you use tier 1 attacks, you roll to more powerful tier 2 attacks, and so on, all the way to I believe 6. If you are someone who is skilled in strategy, this can work really well for you. If you can't find a way to make your roll strategy work, you go back to tier 1 and start over. They seem to put a lot of emphasis on getting a good order in place. I find this to be a definite possibility for fun, as I'm an old fan on Final Fantasy games, where you would take turns using strategy against enemies, only this isn't turn for turn, but in real time.

Anyone have some more information on it? I'm gonna give it a shot and hope for the best, I can't find anything else out there too appealing at the moment in this genre.

http://spellborn.acclaim.com/

Last edited by Lucidus : 04-30-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 AM #2
TTB
Nope

Wasn't this already posted? I'm starting to think you guys are ADVERTISING the ****ing game for the acclaim.

Also acclaim has NEVER produced a decent game. I really wonder why they haven't died yet.

FYI: That roll order **** just takes away from good movement. I'm not going to want to click on some damn roll order while I'm trying to dodge attacks.

Games like WoW and GunZ have all of the abilities EASILY ACCESSED because everyone knows combinations RUIN GAMEPLAY. In a multiplayer game I don't want to have to make a hit combo and time it properly.... and the rest of the people if you look at game sales and scores agree. If the Savage 2 developers would get that into their head maybe more people would play the damn game.

Its not button mashing, its just that they allow players to easily access abilities. You're an idiot if you button mash because there is a 1 second GLOBAL COOLDOWN on all spells, so you only have to press 1 ability every 1 second okay?

In Chronicles if you had a bar of abilities you could use, and had a crosshair in which you had to aim them, that would be good. It would make it like an MMOFPS-RPG hybrid which MILLIONS of people have been waiting for. But they had to **** it up with the stupid clunky wheel system.

Last edited by TTB : 05-01-2009 at 07:10 AM.
TTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 PM #3
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB View Post
Wasn't this already posted? I'm starting to think you guys are ADVERTISING the ****ing game for the acclaim.

Also acclaim has NEVER produced a decent game. I really wonder why they haven't died yet.

FYI: That roll order **** just takes away from good movement. I'm not going to want to click on some damn roll order while I'm trying to dodge attacks.

Games like WoW and GunZ have all of the abilities EASILY ACCESSED because everyone knows combinations RUIN GAMEPLAY. In a multiplayer game I don't want to have to make a hit combo and time it properly.... and the rest of the people if you look at game sales and scores agree. If the Savage 2 developers would get that into their head maybe more people would play the damn game.

Its not button mashing, its just that they allow players to easily access abilities. You're an idiot if you button mash because there is a 1 second GLOBAL COOLDOWN on all spells, so you only have to press 1 ability every 1 second okay?

In Chronicles if you had a bar of abilities you could use, and had a crosshair in which you had to aim them, that would be good. It would make it like an MMOFPS-RPG hybrid which MILLIONS of people have been waiting for. But they had to **** it up with the stupid clunky wheel system.
Just curious, have you played it first hand?

I couldn't care either way, I'll give it a shot because I don't mind trying things out. You should try to calm yourself a bit, it's just a video game.
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote