PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 PM #1
xedoesr

Anyone Looking?

I am a semi-older person who has been curious about paintball teams and groups. While I am not tournament worthy yet, I will be once I get to know a group of people that use Bing Field in Edwardsville. Currently I am almost 31 years old, am a firefighter, and am 6'-1" and around 175 lbs. My current setup I would like to get goes something like this, and it is subject to change, but nothing drastic.

Gear:
PROTEC Tactical Elbow Pads - Black
PROTEC Tactical Knee Pads - Black
Tactical Tiger Stripe BDU Top
Tactical Tiger Stripe BDU Pant
Polypropylene Balaclava - Black
Military RIP-STOP Boonie - Tactical Tiger
MOLLE Tactical Vest - Black
6+1 Deluxe Paintball Harness (Holds Tank on back and pods on back curving forward slightly)
6 Zephyrpaintball 140 round pods
Tippmann A-5 Paintball Gun Response Trigger

I am up in the air about a gun kit upgrade, but I have narrowed it down to the following.
Tippmann A5 MK48 SAW Kit
Tippmann A5 G36C Kit
Tippmann A5 AK Tactical Kit
Tippmann A5 .50 BMG Sniper Kit (This one would only be bought if I got a ghille suit)

Please take not I am in the process of getting these items, and not all of them I have decided on yet. For your sake I only listed the strong possibility items I am in the process of getting.

If anyone is interested in letting me in their group I would mainly be playing on the Bing Field in Edwardsville, I was born in 1978, and I am in fairly good health too because I keep fit and am a fireman. I would like to get in a group for Saturdays if I could, but also on some Sundays as well. I have my own car and will bring my own gear. First things first though, I would like to meet the group before anything to see what gear they have and fill in mine to match their needs.

What I prefer doing is lay down cover fire and provide support. I do not like being cannon fodder, and I am leaning towards either the Tippmann A5 MK48 SAW Kit or the Tippmann A5 .50 BMG Sniper Kit if I were to get the ghille suit. Anyways, lemme know if I fit what you are looking for, and if not no worries.
xedoesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2009, 10:11 PM #2
nubsauce34
L. Rimkus

nubsauce34 plays in the PSP
nubsauce34 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nubsauce34 supports Team VICIOUS
nubsauce34 plays in the APPA D4 division
all you have is woodsball stuff??? and you want to do tournaments?

WTB AC threaded UL or Shaft 4 tip
nubsauce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:59 PM #3
xedoesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsauce34 View Post
all you have is woodsball stuff??? and you want to do tournaments?
If youll notice in my next to las paragraph I menioned... "If anyone is interested in letting me in their group I would mainly be playing on the Bing Field in Edwardsville, I was born in 1978, and I am in fairly good health too because I keep fit and am a fireman. I would like to get in a group for Saturdays if I could, but also on some Sundays as well. I have my own car and will bring my own gear. First things first though, I would like to meet the group before anything to see what gear they have and fill in mine to match their needs." So, please do not insinuate I am stupid with numerous question marks. The gear listed is for the field I goto, not for anything in-doors. I also mentioned I am looking at getting a ghille suit. One last thing, I am not near Chicago, so I can't really do much in the way of long distance travel for one day of playing paintball. I mainly want to stick to Bing Field in Edwardsville, but I am also interested in the nearby area also.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:05 AM #4
Im at school 23

Im at school 23 plays in the PSP
Talk to The Leech im sure he knows some good woodsball groups to play with. And dont be discouraged most people online dont seem as nice as they are in person sometimes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 AM #5
xedoesr

I am not so much discouraged as I am disappointed. Seriously speaking if someone is semi-new to paintball, then do not be rude or disconcerting to them. It is different if you know them, but I also understand that it can get frustrating for the veterans around here when a new person shows up. It may also be they were not trying to be rude either. In any case I tried to send Leech a message, but they have in-bound mail turned off. So, I will try to find an active post of theirs and try to get ahold of them that way.

Slight update though on gear I am looking at getting. I m nearly certain I will go with the MK48 SAW gun kit and the BDUs listed above. At a later date I will get a scope for it and also possibly a sidearm. I decided not to go with the vest as well, but I may end up getting one, but it will be the MOLLE SPEAR Style Vest System.

All this gear I am listing is off the opsgear.com website. Minus the gun though, that part I am getting off Amazon, the gold package response trigger one. If anyone has a better option, then please list it and I will gladly look into it.

If I go the way of the sniper I will get the ghille suit and .50 cal barret clone gun kit, but likely I wont be doing that since games seem to be fast paced. What I may end up doing is getting a ghille jacket & hood on top of the BDUs.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM #6
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Hi and welcome to the forum (and the sport in general). One thing you may want to know is that things can get... "complicated" between rec and tournament paintball. Although one hit is all it takes to eliminate a player in either scenario, the gear and style of play *do* tend to be different, primarily *because* they're different scenarios.

For instance, *could* you wear a tactical vest in a tournament? Sure. I'd recommend against it since you're not on the field long and it hinders your movement. You'd probably want to go with a smaller / lighter gun because it's easier to handle. A ghille suit wouldn't do you any good being that you'd likely be playing on an airball field, not in the woods.

My point in all of this is if you go with the gear you're listed and you're really set on playing in tournaments, expect to be buying more gear. What you have sounds great for rec / scenario play in the woods though.

As for the gear you've selected, in paintball there tends to be 3 roles: front, middle and back; there really is no "sniper" position and (in my experience) ghille suits are a waste of money. Snipers don't work because paintballs don't have a straight trajectory like a bullet will, so the scope won't work / help and you'll find yourself firing more than one shot to get the hit you need. I've also only seen a ghille suit work once, primarily because finding the right foliage in the woods to blend in with can be and issue, but also because (at least for a time) the field I went to had a bounce rule for ghille suits. You're wearing a ghille suit, get hit but it bounces? You're still out. The reason was:
  1. The falls on the ghille suit made it harder to determine a break for both the refs and players. This lead to the ghille player getting lit up to "ensure" a break.
  2. When the ghille player did fire, it tended to be close range. Coupled with being hit multiple times, this could seriously discourage new players who just got lit up.

So, I'd check with your field if there are any special rules for ghille suits.

All in all, whatever you do, do it for fun. If you have a blast playing airball tournaments with a vest and ghille suit, then do it and don't listen to anyone who tells you to do otherwise. It's your time and money, you know what you enjoy better than we do.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd

Last edited by FallNAngel : 05-01-2009 at 10:24 AM.
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM #7
dachief0708
6*M*3*W*0

Annual Supporting Member
dachief0708 is playing at Living Legends VII
dachief0708 supports Empire
You may wanna pop in the field thread and introduce yourself there, as well. You're more likely to run into players that post there.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3082182
dachief0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM #8
xedoesr

I see where you are coming from with the ghille suit, and I have been watching some painball videos for the woodsman setups. I have yet to see anyone wearing a ghille suit, and most simply wear standard BDUs, a vest with pods on the rear facing forward in either 4+1 or 6+1 setups. I have seen quite a few with gun kits being used, and the MK48 I mentioned had a nice round of clips. I did notice it being cumbersome, but the age and size of the persons using it appeared to be smaller and a bit younger than me. Since I am a fireman I have to be in fairly good shape, and that means using my turnout gear which weighs in at about 45lbs range while standing next to or in a burning building or other. If I am close to or inside of a smokey environment I need my air tank, and adding that will add in about 20lbs or so.

So, grand total range I am looking at around 60 to 70lbs in gear. All of this was just to point out I "should" have an easier time handling myself when I am fully geared in the equipment I mentioned. However, I am not running and gunning in my turnout gear either.

So, what will happen is I will have my BDUs, the 6+1 vest, and either the MK48 setup or the AK47 one. I might go with the MP5 or G36C ones too, but it all really depends on what group I end up with in the long run. But, for sure the BDUs (color pattern is subject to change) and the A-5 with response trigger.

What I will get later on is a pair of leg straps for a pistol sidearm for each leg. Might go with just one, but definetly will be a leg strap for the side of my thigh, right side for sure though. I am also looking at getting a functioning ACOG sight from a real gun to use, but the price of that is giving me pause.

You have all been great and I will be at Bing Field this Saturday to see about teams and what not. I do not plan on playing any games, but I do plan on leaving some flyers about my intrest if the owners let me. But, we will see where that goes. In the meantime I will keep on planning ahead.

Whats your thoughts on those 2 to 3 liter hydrater packs ive noticed for sale?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM #9
dachief0708
6*M*3*W*0

Annual Supporting Member
dachief0708 is playing at Living Legends VII
dachief0708 supports Empire
Here's the question I have after looking through your posts; you have played before, haven't you?

I hope that doesn't come across as me sounding like a wiseass, because that's not my intention at all . I know you mentioned that you were in the process of getting "geared out", but the reason I asked that question is that I hope you've at least played before, and are pretty certain that you actually like the sport, prior to spending that kind of money on that wish list.

If not, don't worry about not "looking the part" your first few times out. Get the rental gear at your local field, get a feel for the game and how it's played, take note of who's playing and talk it up and find out who the regulars are in your area, talk to the staff/refs/owners of the field if they're available, etc.. If after that you've been "bitten by the bug" by all means, go for it and shop your heart out, heh. Not saying you can't anyway, it's your money, just my $.02 that's all.
dachief0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:53 PM #10
Wild Huntsman
El Presidente

Wild Huntsman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Wild Huntsman posts videos on PbNation
Wild Huntsman is an NCPA player
Wild Huntsman plays in the APPA D5 division
^^ agreed.

the only thing i would add is that when you do buy a marker, dont fall into the usual trap of woodsballers.

here is what i mean:
yeah you say that you are in great shape, but to lug all of that around is going to get tiresome, and you could get a black invert mini, ion, pmr, or really anything "tourney" grade and just camo wrap it. You will be using a marker with a ridiculous capacity for rate of fire (you already said you like laying down covering fire), and it will be light enough so that you can move obnoxiously fast, given your physical condition. Also, it can be used for tourney/airball if you ever decide to go that route.

my favorite paintball experiences revolve around me bringing my SP Epiphany out to a field in some camo wrap (just so it isnt too obvious where i am) and lighting up a group of woodsballers who think that because their gun has a stock and a "tactical" barrel, that they can shoot 75 yards accurately. the looks on their faces are priceless man, priceless.

im rockin an epiphany with quite a bit of money in it and can push way over 20 bps easily (if i go full auto like the woods guys like to insist since they only have single triggers, or about 15 bps in semi-auto walking the trigger), and the freak barrel i have allows me great shot consistency.
Wild Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 PM #11
xedoesr

That is exactly what ive been doing, as far as going to the field and getting rental equipment. I already ordered my A-5 with response trigger after asking around about it and the E-trigger. They say the response one is alot more reliable, but we will see. I also got it off Amazon.com the gold package one if anyone wanted to look there and see what I ordered for 289.95 plus shipping etc etc. As for the BDUs I am undecided on which to go with, but am looking stongly between three color sets. The Tactical Tiger Stripe, Jungle Tiger Stripe, and the Army ACU pattern.

To be honest the Bing Field while nice, is kinda small in some play zones, so running and gunning with the 15 minuite timer given is a little hard. So, I understand where the comment about using the gun mod kits, but in all honesty I am still iffy about it myself whether or not it is a good call. I also tried air-soft and really did not care for it. If it hits an exposed area of skin it hurts, and I can't afford to be hurting anywhere with my job. So, I will be sticking with paintball since that has less hurt in it, but I did get hit in with a paintball on the side of my nexk which did not have any protection from less than 10 feet away. Yeah, I had a welp for about 2 days.

Whatever I do as far as gear I will have to talk with with a group I want in on, and get gear that compliments their style. I can only hope that I get to use either the MK48 SAW or the AK47 gun kit. I will however be ordering my BDUs next week no matter what any group says. But, the ghilli suit is looking less and less like a possibility, but a ghilli covered helmet is a possibility at this time.

As far as money goes, that is not a problem seeing I got my tax return back this week. So, while it is a limited amount, I still have enough to get whats on my list and then some. But, for the sake of sanity I will try to keep my list at around 700 to 900 if possible.

And yes, getting shot in the neck really did hurt at less than 10 feet away, but will this help soften the blow anyone? Polypropylene Balaclava or should I just get a OPSGEAR Neoprene Neck Guard? Getting shot in the hands didn't hurt thanks to my gloves I had on.

On a side note I wanting this type of gear as a sort of excersise routine to help keep me fit. I am also finishing up my 3rd degree so I can be a cop when it is done or maybe even a FBI agent. So, do keep that in mind, and when I am at a fire those hoses can weigh around 150lbs+ with water going through them, and thats alot when your gear alone can weigh around 60 to 70lbs.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 PM #12
stevens23

stevens23 is playing at Living Legends VI
stevens23 is playing at Living Legends VII
stevens23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
stevens23 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
stevens23 supports DLX Technology
Sounds like you're gearing up for woodsball. As far as the hydration pack, I'd reserve that for long scenarios. A-5 is a good gun. As far as bdus I'd try to go with digital if possible. They really are better.I have part of a ghillie suit started. I don't use it unless its for scenarios.

Neck hits hurt. Not sure if the padding helps, but something loose fitting and thick should help.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM #13
xedoesr

Well, im not sure how the neck guard works as far as movement, bu the other I mentioned I don't think would offer much protection. But, the other would have no movement restrictions. As for the BDU color you recommended, how does Army ACU paint color? It is similar to the urban colors, but it has a camo color looks scheme with what appears to be a dark green or black, white, and some grey.

I think I will go ahead and order the helmet, knee & elbow pads, and low profile cyclone hopper next week. As for the gun kit and BDU color I will be ordering that once I get back from Bing Field. Hopefully some teams and what not are there I can talk to about joining. Even a weekend warrior team would be good to get in on, because experience is experience no matter how one looks at it. Jut gotta remember not to run around like this little smiley face at the end of this sentence lol.
ReplyRegional Ups