Community Focus

Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 PM #1
pirate
mutiny!

pirate is a Supporting Member
pirate is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
UWL Event Coverage

I saw big smiles and friendly gestures everywhere I turned during the inaugural event of the Ultimate Woodsball League at SC Village in Corona, CA. The UWL brought in plenty of steep competition, but there was a greater sense of camaraderie and fellowship than you find at your traditional tournament.

UWL Commissioner Tom Cole, a veteran woodsballer who played with Bad Company for most of his professional career, realized that many players long for the days when tournaments were more about crawling than rate of fire.

As both a format and a league, the UWL is a shining star. There are a growing number of players who want to play competition paintball but are jaded or otherwise turned-off by aspects of the speedball game. The UWL represents a happy medium between recreational paintball and full-fledged, in your face tournament paintball.

Playing in the woods presents different challenges and learning situations for players of all ages and skill levels. The UWL is running an advertising campaign featuring the slogan "These players started in the woods" with pictures of Hall of Fame paintball players including Chris Lasoya, Richie Maliszeweski (Image), and Shane Pestana, Darryl Trent and Dave Youngblood of the Ironmen, among others. The UWL's other tagline is "Woods, Dirt, Camo" which any woodsball veteran can get behind.

The UWL divides teams into two divisions, Open and Skills. Equipment restrictions make the difference between the divisions; Infantry players (open division) can use any electronic marker in semi-auto, Rangers (skills division) must use non-electronic markers. Both Infantry and Rangers must use 9-volt loaders (Kingman Fasta, VL Revolution, etc.).

Teams consist of a captain, a scout, a heavy weapons man, 7 infantry / rangers and one sniper. The captain can use any electronic marker set to semi-auto and calls in the use of special weapons -- revives and "missile" strikes to strategically eliminate the other team. Scouts break out 10 seconds before their teammates to pull a flag or set up in a forward position. The heavy weapons player can use any marker in any mode with any mode. Snipers must use a pump gun or pistol and count as a +1, an eleventh player on a ten man team.

Bob Long took full advantage of the heavy weapons position, using his brand new Marq Victory in uncapped full-auto to chop up the competition. I came across Bob in a ravine and was so scared of his machine gun that I retreated to another position.

Tom Cole and the UWL team spent several days grooming SC Village's world famous woods fields for the tournament. Despite the inherent difficulties in creating even fields in the woods, the two fields in play were adequately balanced, with neither side having an inherent advantage due to a coin flip. Additionally, the team that loses the coin flip receives a handicap -- either more revives or the option to start with a flag base in their possession.

The objective-based format evened the playing field because games weren't won by eliminations, but flag possession time. Good teams worked the fields and developed strategies to control their flag stations while keeping the other team out. More experienced teams often found it difficult, and counterproductive, to steamroll opponents with no regard for pulling and defending flags.

Bob Long's Assassins took first place in the Open Division, followed by the CA Ballers in second. Playing alongside Bob Long were his son Zack Long, Tyler Harmon, Kimo and a number of the LA Hitmen.

The UWL offers an placement program for players who can't find a team to play with. The CA Ballers were a team of players assembled for the tournament by the UWL. The UWL offers this service as a way to build new teams and relationships in the sport.

The San Diego Daggers, captained by the voice of paintball, veteran Ironman Matt Marshall, took first place in the Skills division. The San Diego Daggers were a motley crew of grizzled vets and familiar faces, including Nicky Cuba (Ironmen), Todd Martinez (Dynasty), Brandon Lambertson (ex-Infamous), and Roy Richards and Cedric Roloff (ex-Avalanche & KAPP Factory).

The Daggers faced Team Gat in the final, a showdown many called the game of the tournament. Team Gat, using 7 pump guns, took the Daggers down to the final buzzer before they captured Team Gat's base flag for the win.

The event was a big success because everyone left the field feeling good about the weekend. Teams played with honor, respect and a tremendous amount of sportsmanship. Players of all ages and walks of life found common ground on the paintball field, and that has forever been what our sport is all about.

Tom Cole is doing a fine job running the UWL, the event went off without a hitch and everyone in attendance had a fun weekend. A hallmark of a good commissioner is the ability to take criticism and suggestions from their players. Tom was vigilant in pursuit of feedback from teams, constantly asking them how they were doing and what the league could do better.

Paintball photographer extraordinaire Chris Dilts was on hand to capture the events of the weekend; his photo galleries are posted at the UWL's website, www.playuwl.com

Thanks to SC Village, Giant Paintball, Chris Dilts and all of the teams, friends and families who came out to share the weekend together. Thanks to Kingman Training, DYE, JT, BT, GenX, Ultimate Paintball, Bob Long Technology, and Tippmann, the UWL's event sponsors.

The next UWL event is scheduled for May 16-17 at Badlandz in Chicago, Illinois; the UWL will return to SC Village August 1-2.

Alex Cadalso played paintball for HK and has published over 100 articles about paintball in magazines like SPLAT, PGI and Welt, among others.

I'll post photos in this thread once Dilts releases them. Thanks!

Last edited by pirate : 04-28-2009 at 03:40 PM.
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM #2
Hoot {MWB}

Perhaps the coolest thing about this event was the showdown between San Diego Daggers and Team GAT. You've got a long list of pros "veteran Ironman Matt Marshall...Nicky Cuba (Ironmen), Todd Martinez (Dynasty), Brandon Lambertson (ex-Infamous), and Roy Richards and Cedric Roloff (ex-Avalanche & KAPP Factory)....and yet Team Gat (which had 7 members rocking pumps) took them down to the wire. This my friends...is woodsball. We can't wait to hit up the DDay tournie.

UWL Junkie: www.playuwl.com
Proudly Sponsored by Lapco: http://lapcopaintball.com/store/
"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory"
www.muddywaterboys.com
Hoot {MWB} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM #3
Warchild71
I Recruit Killers

Warchild71 plays in the PSP
Warchild71 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Warchild71 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Awesome writeup! I regret not being at the SC Village event but we will be at UWL Chicago. We can wait.
Warchild71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 PM #4
funkmaster70
Designated Joker

funkmaster70 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kudos to gat

Damm they took on the pros with pumps ...great job team gat ... way to rep the pumpers out there .....
funkmaster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 AM #5
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Sounds like it was great!

How was the reffing around the artillery and rocket launchers? Were they even used that much?
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM #6
RelativeAsh
Kämpfen Mit Ehre

Annual Supporting Member
RelativeAsh plays in the PSP
RelativeAsh owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
RelativeAsh owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RelativeAsh owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Man does this get me even more excited for the Chicago one! I hope we get the Daggers, Bob Long, and team GAT to show! Not only is it cool to play against pros but to take them to the buzzer using pumps! Thats friggin cool! Shows how well a team that communicates and utilizes well placed shots can do!

I Support UWL / Hank 3 / PBR
RelativeAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM #7
thugpaintballa

yea team gat
Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 AM #8
Vice73

and nothing about the shoulder check that caused a cracked sternum and a few broken ribs...... HMMMMMMM
Vice73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM #9
F3TT

Who was it that did the shoulder check? I forgot.
F3TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM #10
funkmaster70
Designated Joker

funkmaster70 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sucks to be him..but they refs and the commish ruled it accidenta so no harm no foul life goes on !....
funkmaster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 AM #11
LAH75

LAH75 works for a Paintball manufacturer
LAH75 supports Cereal Killerz 2
LAH75 donated to help Peyton Trent
LAH75 is attending Decay of Nations VI
That game against GAT at the end was so much fun. I had my pump sniper and lived the entire game and held the left side for Daggers the whole game. Next time they might want to look inside the box and not behind it. LOL SD DAGGERS Win!

Now the game against Bob Long Ironmen playing against half my own guys was just mind blowing fun. Bob and I ran into each other and exchanged. I walked out with around 30 hits and he walked out with 2. We laughed and helped each other out of the tricky terrain. They narrowly beat us by a few points. They had electronic machine guns and we had all mechanical guns. I had my pump of course. Next time we will win that match-up. Hopefully lol

Love all you UWL players! Spread the word! Get more people to play this format.

Got a gun with TiPX threads? Check out the HITMEN TECH barrels for the TiPX.
Visit our team store to see what is in stock today here.
LAH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:38 AM #12
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
Daggers vs. Bob Long was the best game that nobody got to see! I was on the sidelines for that game, and saw the Daggers break out... and that's it.

The memories each of us took from this event are priceless. I had a great time each and every minute I was on that field, even when the Daggers put it on us on Saturday, and Bob did the same on Sun.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 PM #13
Warchild71
I Recruit Killers

Our team had a blast at the Chicago event. The games were always action packed and we are looking forward to the PA Event.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 AM #14
woody06

After playing the uwl at oklahoma I can honestly say this is the best format in all of paintball. I hope we get to another event this year.

Proudly Sponsored by Lapco:
http://lapcopaintball.com/store/

Play UWL
www.playuwl.com
woody06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 PM #15
RokindaDmfizzle
RYAN MARTIN #12

RokindaDmfizzle is a Professional paintball player
RokindaDmfizzle plays in the USPL
RokindaDmfizzle plays in the PSP
RokindaDmfizzle plays in the APPA Pro division
i played with the ca ballers. i had a blast! I want to play more of these events.
Ryan "Meezy" Martin #12
TEAM XSV
RokindaDmfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM #16
chargermikec

I too played with the CA Ballers. I was rockin my auto cocker holding it down on the creekside....SOOOOO much fun! Cant wait for the next event to come our way...-Little advise- before you take a sip out of your drink at SC, please be aware of the bee's. I took a couple of gulps out of my Monster Energy drink and felt a sting on my bottom lip. A spat out a big fat bee, but not before he left a huge stinger in my lip. Thanks Joel for pulling the stinger out... My bottom lip is three times the normal size right now. Ouch!!.....anyone got pics of this event?

Last edited by chargermikec : 08-03-2009 at 08:28 PM.
chargermikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:01 AM #17
winnppl
!_!

winnppl plays in the PSP
winnppl donated to help Peyton Trent
winnppl plays in the APPA D3 division
lol ouch

FACEBOOK
winnppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM #18
Warchild71
I Recruit Killers

I had a close call like that once.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM #19
chargermikec

Pics available on chrono300.com
chargermikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 AM #20
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
CA Ballers #1!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM #21
Whiskeyfoy
Underground

Annual Supporting Member
Whiskeyfoy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Whiskeyfoy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Great Pictures! Looks like it was a good time..

Woodsball Tournament they way it should be played! Ultimate Woodsball League
"So if you are a team of *****ing ,cheating and disrespectful players I suggest you find a different venue for your antics! The UWL is not for you.
Tom Cole"
Whiskeyfoy is offline   Reply With Quote