Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-31-2009, 12:41 PM #43
Wayoldschool
Pilsen Panzers Commander

(Referring back to the earlier discussion on sniping)
The best sniper is like a stone. This is because the human eye is very good at detecting motion, and if you keep your motion to a minimum, or figure out how to effectively conceal it, you've taken the first and most important step to becoming invisible.
Disguising and obscuring your form covers the second level of recognition which is of shapes. Incorporate netting and bug protection, as the mosquitoes won't be fooled and will still bite someone trying to be a stone.
If you cover the first two bases and are in a good place of concealment, you are virtually invisible. Pick a place where your quarry is likely to come by, and fire only once. The last category of recognition is that of locating the origin of sounds, so use as quiet a marker as possible.
If you must move, practice disappearing fast. Travel through knee high vegetation, and fall over backwards when spotted. You do this by squatting quickly and landing on your buttocks, then throwing your legs forward and your back backwards. Curling your back back up puts you in what was once one of the favored firing positions of the British Army.
Takes some practice and weight loss to be effective.
Wait to see if they try to charge you, as one can effectively defend from that position. If they don't, you can roll on your belly and crawl towards a better position.
Always be observant. How many were there? Which way would be likely for a flanking move on their part? Move accordingly.
If you're out there and getting very bored, you're doing something right. Sniping is very seldom fun. It is hours of nothing with a few seconds of excitement.
In my experience the best sniper marker is a Tippmann 98 with the flatline barrel, as long as it is firing the right size paintballs. Once that barrel is installed, don't try to hang a sling or put any pressure on it, as it will unseat and the marker will be useless. It's weakness is that the barrel is poorly fastened and the plastic shroud doesn't help much. But, if you're careful with it, the extra distance the ball will travel at the legal 270 fps will effectively eliminate players who think they're out of range.
All of Stevebski's observations are correct.

Last edited by Wayoldschool : 08-31-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Wayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM #44
g35x
Pump Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayoldschool View Post
In my experience the best sniper marker is a Tippmann 98 with the flatline barrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayoldschool View Post
so use as quiet a marker as possible.

get an MQ valved autococker if you want quiet.
g35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM #45
Boom Master
Scenario Player

My sniper set up is a 300 psi Autococker with silenced pneumatics, mechanics, and barrel. Has a 'Sniper Mode switch that makes it recock very slowly and silently down to 1 RPS. Basically like a pump but you don't have to MOVE to recock it. I share all my stuff. Anybody with a mech cocker. An excellent base for a sniper set up.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM #46
TwitchyVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
My sniper set up is a 300 psi Autococker with silenced pneumatics, mechanics, and barrel. Has a 'Sniper Mode switch that makes it recock very slowly and silently down to 1 RPS. Basically like a pump but you don't have to MOVE to recock it. I share all my stuff. Anybody with a mech cocker. An excellent base for a sniper set up.
How do ya silence pneumatics?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM #47
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quieting the Autococker Pneumatics.

First a reminder that it is an old Mech, Slide Trigger autococker.
Have no idea if or how well it would work on an electro cocker.

I took TWO approaches. The best was converting to a "Sniper Mode" with a toggle switch and needle valve installed on the end of the stock ram.

I had to drill and tap a hole in the end cap of the ram to install the needle valve. The rest was just plumbing.

When the toggle was in the OPEN position, you have normal flow to and from that end of the ram. So it operated like a stock semi auto cocker.

When the toggle was in the CLOSED position you have very restricted flow to and from that end of the ram. How much flow you can adjust with the needle valve. Mine is set up so that it takes about 1 second to cycle the ram to open the bolt, cock the trigger, reload a ball, and close the bolt into firing position. All you hear is a little hissssss, click, hissssss coming out of the 3 way valve. You do have to set your ram reg pressure a little higher for sniper mode to recock properly.

So here it is field ready with everything protected under the stock shroud. Flip of a finger and it is a pump that you don't have to pump and move to recock. Handy for sniping. No Movement.

When they spot you, flip the toggle and rock and roll in semi mode.

The other approach was Bumpers, clamps, gaps to reduce and stop the clackty clack of the pneumatics cycling in semi mode. Ram bumpers, Back Block Gap. Bolt pin clamp, Bumper on Recocking rod. etc. If you want MORE detail, e mail me at:

ddupont@charter.net

But just for pictures go here:

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...ods/Ram%20Mod/

For example: The Bolt pin rattles away during cycling. Eye bolt, screw knob pulls the bolt pin into the back of the bolt hole. No more clacking. Note the GAP between the back block and body. No clacking there. Note the O Ring "Guide" around the rod going from the ram to the back block. That and the gap did the trick.

Then I went to Low Pressure for a mech cocker (285 psi) and installed a zilencer, and my Auto Rangefinder sighting system.

And that is how I got named, "Head Hunter"

Last edited by Boom Master : 09-26-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 AM #48
flury9

Nice gats.
flury9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 PM #49
shawndorts

I usually play the rogue role. But an extremely useful tip that ive seen snipers use and actually win games alone is this. The reason people don't see as many rabbits, deer, foxes, etc. is because people don't know where to look. They are almost always in cover. Its proven that when looking out in the distance your eyes will pick up trees, rocks, hills, sky, buildings. But not the debree and brush. Prey is almost always hidden in the debree, grass, branches, on the ground and around trees. So when playing if you stick to these areas you will most likely be able to maneuver your way around. Ive seen this done many times and its what i prefer now even though im not a sniper. And also, you should try to change positions after each shot if possible.
shawndorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM #50
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

well, one more thing to add to the sniper discussion, first strike paintballs work, just as advertized. i used them this weekend during a scenario game, granted, i had gun issues until after the game ended ( go figure) but once i sorted out the gun, they were insanely accurate and definatly in improvment on range. the couple i actually used during the game went exactly where i aimed them, granted it was at very close range, i could have made the shot with the vibe i was playing with. the only reason that i didnt get anyone out with the fs rounds is that my aiming was crap, lol.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM #51
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

and here are some pics of the gun i made to use the first strike rounds. it started life as an auto cocker body that i ordered to build up for a friend. the threads on the vertical asa, or at least the threads for it, were stripped out and i was also having issues trying to get the front block to seal. so i scrapped the idea and then a couple months later, i wanted to havea gun to use for an upcoming scenario/ that and i had some free time, lol.

well, here it is.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM #52
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
I'm gonna look into making a 6-shooter style barrel that's AC threaded for first strike rounds. Only problem I would have is my Marqs all have pillow bolts, I'd need to swap out for a non-pillow.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM #53
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

i am honestly surprized how well the first strike rounds work. i had a bunch of the local speedball players giggling when i let them fire off some of the fs rounds.

hey stevebski, i am interested in this idea of yours, if you ever want someone to bounce some idea off of, let me know, ive had a lot of interesting ideas and such.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 PM #54
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
PMing you now
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 AM #55
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Here its my advice...

Get a autococker with a12 to 16" ported barrel that shows you to aim at a target that's 60 to 80 feet. Also shoot from the high ground down to your target. That helps.
Christian P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM #56
coladylan

coladylan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
coladylan owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
coladylan supports Empire
Wicked looking sniper markers

SuperGame XLV XLVII
coladylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM #57
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
I like what Wayoldschool had to say at the top of this
thread, regards to how to be an effective sniper and I
also found the modifications being done of interest.
I'd consider modifying a older model, but with all the
new models coming on line, it's probably far easier
to just buy one.

Speaking of new options, has anyone had a chance
yet to test out a SAR12? I'm asking because some
our group is looking to field them during this years
Oklahoma D-Day and I don't want to waste time
with something that's not going to work.

Looking for first hand accounts as well as any video
footage anyone might have.

Thanks!
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com

Last edited by dorsai : 02-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM #58
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Just put up a post in specialized gear. About how the Auto Rangefinder is made. Used this for sniping for years with that autococker set up.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3929112

Subrally, You pic of that cocker adapted for first strike rounds got the wheels turning. I've got a junk cocker I picked up at a garage sale for $10 just for a project marker. Most of the pneumatics missing. I started pondering a way to make a rotating magazine or a vertical feed magazine onto that body. Plenty of metal in the block to carve it all the way to the bottom of the barrel bore.
It would have to rotate from above. Look wierd but that has never stopped me before. The stranger the better as long as it works... Got the indexing figured out in theory. Not unlike the indexing system in my autoloading cannon. 10 round magazine should be scarey enough.

See why we should share our projects? It gives other people ideas and the result is the sport evolves and grows.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 01-30-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM #59
Tusken Raider

You can buy yes, but modding is more fun.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 PM #60
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I saw the Airow Gun and thought it would be the best sniper gun. No tank, quiet, however larger than a marker.

I've been using a tree on the ground as cover but noticed a hopper makes a big difference. My favorite hopper for sniping is the V-max. It's quiet and if you shoot 2 shot bursts, it's motor is nearly silent.

Do you only use a gravity hopper with your sniper marker?
Christian P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM #61
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Christian,

This year all the snipers on our side are all going with one type
of magazine or bolt action marker or another. Their security/
spotters will all be outfitted with speedball markers.
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote