Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 PM #1
sniper nevets

sniping

i just made a ghillie suit and i am really looking to play the sniper role. i was wanting some tips form people who snipe out there. i am going to the big game this sunday at splatter park. i have never been to a big game and was wondering how a sniper fits into it all, like where they go in ralation to the larger forces, how they find/recognize important targets that kind of thing. like i said never done something like this before so i need some help! thanks!
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon this field today."
sniper nevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM #2
aleucard

While I haven't personally experienced a scenario game, I'd imagine that a sniper would work similar to most booby traps; an opponent enters a specific area, they should expect to take a hit. Only with snipers, that area's effectively a very tight cone starting from them to a couple hundred feet out or so, maybe more. Don't expect to be mobile for very long, and be damn sure you got backup! Towers will provide a better vantage point, but they increase the need for ground support exponentially.
aleucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM #3
JESTERTLS

Best skills is to be sneaky, have good movement skills in the woods, good camo that is suitable with the surrounding foilage, and to not miss what you are shooting at.

An accruate, quiet marker would be bennificial as well. To get more range you need an Apex or Flat Line, but I wouldnt go that route. More range means less accuracy. I'd just totaly stay away from Tippmann's or Spyders. Me, Id go for a DM...
JESTERTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 AM #4
sniper nevets

thanks guys, but i am really asking more in relation to a big game. do i just go out on my own and do my own thing?? or am i told where to go?? i have never been to one so i dont understand the chain of command. also how do i know where people will be? thanks again for what you have all ready posted, it is helpful!
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM #5
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

you cant really be a true sniper because a paintball is only so accurate and can only go so far. but if you like crawling around on the ground you can gain intel,and possible take a few of them out. but id say a scout is alot more reslistic than a sniper

1.SS Panzer Korps
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM #6
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Jumping head first into a sniper role during a big game is a lot like learning to run when you can't even walk yet. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not necessarily the best way to go about it.

You advised you built your own ghillie suit, does it work with the terrain you'll be playing? If the field is very clear and does not have a lot of undergrowth, a ghillie suit will not be a good tool to use. Also, keep the heat in mind. Do not wear your ghillie suit without properly hydrating and know your limits. If it's too hot, swallow your pride and ditch the suit.

Sniping is a collection of skills. Many people have the mindset that a Sniper is only a Sniper because they take a cold shot from a mile away to eliminate a target. Granted in the plethora of skills a Sniper team possesses, being well versed with whatever weapon they are using is one of them. Those of us with formal training in the topic can say that the cold shot is the aspect of Sniping that is spotlighted by those who haven't had the training.

What you will want to do for your big game is find a commander on your side of the conflict. Attach yourself to a group of people who are willing to accomplish missions. In paintball, as stated in previous posts, the weapons we use are not accurate enough to realistically just roam the field and eliminate targets of opportunity. A Sniper's best use in a scenario paintball game is for recon. Gathering accurate intel for the general provides a clearer picture of the conflict.

Or you can get a spotter of your own and set up ambushes along the skirmish line. Best way that I've seen in paintball is ghosting. Advance along the backside of a push that you know will get returned. Find a pair of FFPs and wait. When your comrads are pushed back, the enemy will then move the skirmish line behind you now and you are now behind their lines. You can either go about picking apart that portion of the skirmish line or wander behind enemy lines harassing the enemy. Personally I like the tennis ball or post it note trick. Leaving bait in the open draws opponents out and will cause the untrained to let their guard down. At that point it's choosing the right order in which to eliminate targets.

There's a whole world of training involved in Sniping. If you have questions, PM me. Sniping in paintball is a very touchy subject and some people get way too heated in discussing whether it does or does not exist.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM #7
sniper nevets

stevebski thank you very much, you have answered alot. i should have said i was not looking to snipe at my first big game but i wanted an idea of how they fit in so i can plan, all your info is very very helpful and i am sure i will pm you later with more questions. i really appreciate your info. thanks again.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:52 AM #8
IllShootYouInTheFace

i wanna know more about the tennis ball and or the post-it note tricks.

Do you post a post-it up and catch an enemy reading it? lol
IllShootYouInTheFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM #9
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

Pretty much. If you were walking along and saw a neon pink post it note attached to a tree at eye level and it had something written on it, wouldn't you stop to read it? I've layered post it notes where the outer most one says "over" with an arrow and they have to shuffle through multiple post its to a note that says "look out" or something more discouraging. If there's a lot of reading involved; you will suck more people's attention into it giving you more advantage when dropping your first, and possibly second and third target.

I also have very clean neon orange tennis balls that I lay in the middle of a trail. When one bends over to pick it up, which they always do, I shoot the others and then the guy with his hand off his marker holding a tennis ball last.

Last edited by stevebski : 04-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.
stevebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM #10
subyrally
Trust your turbo lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebski View Post
Pretty much. If you were walking along and saw a neon pink post it note attached to a tree at eye level and it had something written on it, wouldn't you stop to read it? I've layered post it notes where the outer most one says "over" with an arrow and they have to shuffle through multiple post its to a note that says "look out" or something more discouraging. If there's a lot of reading involved; you will suck more people's attention into it giving you more advantage when dropping your first, and possibly second and third target.

I also have very clean neon orange tennis balls that I lay in the middle of a trail. When one bends over to pick it up, which they always do, I shoot the others and then the guy with his hand off his marker holding a tennis ball last.
i love it, thats brilliant.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM #11
dimewitamind
&amp;quot;there is no spoon...&amp;quot;

if olley lang played woodsball thats how he would do it. lol
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM #13
bebopblues2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyblaze139 View Post
blah Not worth the time, $, and effort (especially the $. Way to expensive). On top of that there isn’t that much paint in these and you are limited to the Tiberius markers. IMO stick with the tried and true stuff. “First strike” rounds are a novel idea, but as of now they are only a gimmick. Use the true tricks of a paintball sniper, practice, patience, concealment, tactics & trickery. Be proficient with your marker. A good paintball “sniper” could use a crappy marker and still be effective. Range has its advantages, but I’d rather have a sure shot and elimination that I can see. + how much would that suck if you made the shot with a “first strike” round and it bounces? At that range a paintball has lost so much velocity that the shell has a pretty slim chance of braking it’s seam and making a large enough mark to make an elimination.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:35 PM #14
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

They have been discussed into the ground in many other threads. I have seen them at work first hand. Although I'm still not a believer that it gives you greater range, I have personally seen some really unbelievable shot groupings at distance. $1 a round is a bit expensive, but if you want to use the equipment that works the best, that round will be it. I personally think the fact that the only way to shoot the stuff without muzzel loading is to buy a tiberius gun and then spend the cost of another for a retrofit kit is total bull****. I would love to see someone make a marker that shoots a drum of those like the FN303 the rounds were originally designed for use from.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM #15
sniper nevets

what exactly do you mean by intel? i know theres troop movemets and what not, and how do you go about reporting and how do you go about making known to your team what your doing?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM #16
snkp360
ERMAHGERD

Annual Supporting Member
snkp360 plays in the PSP
snkp360 supports Team VICIOUS
I would like to present, the first paintball "sniper" marker...

CCM has been testing it with the Tiberius First Strike rounds and showing some very promising results. Read the thread for more info!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...r-project.html

Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 PM #17
codywalters8
Southern Ohio Baller

Man, is the scope really nessecary? because considering it is a paintball, you would have to be shooting like 400 FPS to get any kind of distance to hit something that needs a scope..unless its like a 2x/4x scope.. that i would sorta understand
codywalters8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM #18
snkp360
ERMAHGERD

Annual Supporting Member
snkp360 plays in the PSP
They were saying they reached velocities of around 415fps and shooting distances of 65 to 80yards
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM #19
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper nevets View Post
what exactly do you mean by intel? i know theres troop movemets and what not, and how do you go about reporting and how do you go about making known to your team what your doing?
Intel is anything the General might want to know. Troop movements, location of armor, location of anti-armor teams, location of props that may become of interest and if you can get close enough, you can pretty much pass along all the information the enemy general is passing along to his guys such as missions, concerns and such. I laid next to the enemy CP for three hours at Skirmish one time with a directional mic and an earbud just relaying everything the enemy general was sending out. It was funny watching his frustration when we had an ambush waiting for his men at every objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkp360 View Post
I would like to present, the first paintball "sniper" marker...

CCM has been testing it with the Tiberius First Strike rounds and showing some very promising results. Read the thread for more info!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...r-project.html

that actually doesn't look bad. We need a semi auto version of it and I'll look at buying one
Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM #20
HouseofLos

i was in a game where the sniper worked with a team that broke off on their own. it seemed his primary role was to offer supporting fire. but i guess everyone is different.
HouseofLos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM #21
TeamUpstate

I had an auto cocker with a stiffi 21 in. barrel(4 sale).. extreamly accurate .. and the main roll is mainly.. Supress fire.. dont let people get your teammates
TeamUpstate is offline   Reply With Quote