Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM #1
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

Spartan-X01 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spartan-X01 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
MARPAT or Multicam; which is better?

O.K. I've been wondering for a while which would be better, the MARPAT, or Marine Digital Camouflage, or this other stuff called Multicam. I've heard good things about both sets but I'm not sure which would be better for the woods up in the Appalachian area of West Virginia or wherever I may decide to play.

Part of the problem is for both sets I'm unable to find adequate pictures that compare both of them together in the same picture.

So if anyone with knowledge of both sets of camouflage or has pictures of both of them in action together and can post them here that would be great.
Ephesians 6:10-13 Stand Firm.
Spartan-X01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM #2
Reflect

Well MARPAT would be better for darker, more dense environments and is used by the U.S. Marines as their woodland pattern. Multicam works best in light tan grasses and in more arid environments. Multicam isn't in use by any military branch currently and is copyrighted by Crye Precisions.

Some of the best places to get these are on BDU.com, even though both sets are replica (Not the real kind, because real Crye Multicam can easily cost $1,000) they hold up very well.

I've played airsoft for 5 years at the highest levels and MARPAT would be more effective and realistic for woodsball, while Multicam may look more stylish, it isn't very effective in the woods compared to MARPAT.

I hope this helped.
Reflect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM #3
Mr. Stealthy

Multicam is supposed to work in the widest variety of conditions of any camoflauge. It is extremely versatile than the Marine Marpat and is arguably the best non-environmentally specific camoflauge available. My guess is the MARPAT camo would work slightly a little better in a darker woodland envioronment as suggested by another poster, but the multicam would work better all-around.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM #4
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

O.K. so one is stronger than the other in certain areas, but they both are pretty sweet. But hey Reflect, I found a sight where I can get a set of Multicam for $150 and it seems to be the real stuff, is the multicam that bdu.com uses, is it a cheap knock off, or is it pretty close and hard to tell the difference?

Last edited by Spartan-X01 : 04-21-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM #5
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan-X01 View Post
Hey that really does help. Thanks for your help.
You bet. If you are always playing at a specific location, you could experiment with the different MARPAT camo types (desert, urban, woodland) as well as other camo types and find out what works best for your environment. If you are going to be playing in a lot of different locations and have the extra cash for the Multicam, it would be the best all around option. Multicam seems to just plain blend in good wherever a person happens to hide.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM #6
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

Actually, I just decided to try this before I leave for break and go home, get a bunch of guys together with different styles and colors of BDU's and see which is the best, or better. Only problem, I don't know of anyone who would have multicam in my area.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM #7
IllShootYouInTheFace

I'm a huge fan of the Marpat woodland camo. it's one of my favorite camos.

I wear real Tree High Definition turkey hunting clothes with a tiger stripe vest though.
IllShootYouInTheFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM #8
Reflect

The BDUs on BDU.com are all military spec. They're great quality and if you found Crye Multicam for $150 you're getting ripped off.

I don't know how much experience you guys have with multicam or MARPAT, but I have worn both and MARPAT does a much better in a temperate, woodland environment. In areas such as in California where it is more arid Multicam works the best.

Multicam is great don't get me wrong, but it's not entirely 100% for any area, the camouflage should be area specific to where you play, so that it works to the best of its ability.

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...owtopic=125994
Reflect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 AM #9
sartek
AirSystems HazMonkey

sartek supports our troops
Crye sells their "seconds" for a fairly low price to clothing manufacturers because of defects in the dye or the pattern printing. This is where a lot of the cheaper "official multicam" comes from. Crye approved multicam, with the Crye tags in it, is insanely expensive.
sartek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 PM #10
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

O.K. I think this is the official website for multicam: http://www.multicampattern.com/indexflash.html
(This is where you can also see several photos of multicam in action. Some of them are really good.)

Now according to this website, http://www.multicampattern.com/gear.html#, there is a list of several manufactures of MultiCam. Among them are Propper, which sells on bdu.com. Now according to bdu.com, I can get Poly / Cotton Ripstop ACU Coats - Multicam for 40 bucks, same with the pants. (Here's the url for bdu.com, http://www.bdu.com/F541838377.html)

Now I'm hearing one side say, no the real stuff cost like 1,000, but yet I see this and it doesn't make sense to me. If this isn't the real Crye Multicam, on bdu.com made by propper, which I assume is using it from Crye Industries, then where can I find the real stuff and check it out my self and see the difference?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 PM #11
sartek
AirSystems HazMonkey

The ones from Propper are using licensed versions of the MultiCam pattern, but not the MultiCam material from Crye, which only comes in cordura nylon, and NyCo, not polycotton. This is why you are seeing such a low price. This means that you are not getting the same quality of production from Crye, merely the visual appearance.

This is where the crye apparel is located, made with the actual multicam material: http://cryeprecision.com/home.aspx The cost is 2-3 times that of others.

Last edited by sartek : 04-22-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 PM #12
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

By quality I'm assuming quality in material that is being used to make the clothing. But does that necessarily mean that the multicam pattern they, Propper, are using isn't the same as what the actual Crye MultiCam, or is there little difference to tell between the camo patterns?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:05 AM #13
sartek
AirSystems HazMonkey

Part of the crye quality is the dye used, which is patented along with the pattern generation. Propper and many other companies license the use of the camo patterning, but not the dyes. over time from use, the licensed versions will fade more, reducing the effectiveness drastically because of the range of color sensitivity in your eyes.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM #14
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

O.K. so then the only difference between Crye Multicam and other companies is, the other companies will fade out eventually. So when I would by a set from Propper, the would look like the real thing for, what less then a year depending on use and number of washes.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 PM #15
sartek
AirSystems HazMonkey

yup. there are ways to prevent the dye fade when you wash them though. the biggest thing is to wash them by themselves.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM #16
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

O.K. now this makes more sense. Because My concern was that Propper and the other manufactures of MultiCam BDU's were just using a knock off version of the original Crye Multicam. I say that because I originally bought a MARPAT BDU, but it's not the true Marine MARPAT that I thought I was paying for.

Thanks that really helps clear things up. Not sure when I'll get around to posting those pictures of different BDU's, just as soon as I get the time to do it I guess.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 PM #17
sartek
AirSystems HazMonkey

Marine MARPAT is a big deal for the Marines apparently. A very good friend of mine took his with him when he left the service and tried to sell them on EBay to recoupe costs. His auction was shut down and he was served with a nasty letter from the marines for attempting to sell military property and he had to ship them back. never mind the fact he had to pay for them out of his own pocket at the BX. Lots of people do sell theirs online, but the legality is shady concerning the expense the Marines went through to copyright, and patent the MARPAT design.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:36 PM #18
Spartan-X01
rockmateo2009

Yeah, I should have thought of that before I bought the set, the Marines wouldn't just let anyone buy their Camo. I can understand why they wouldn't want it to get out to the general public.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 PM #19
mrpimp
$$ P.I.M.P.baller $$

MARPAT is better
mrpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM #20
R3L
CCM is not a verb

What are you talking about? I can totally see those guys.

R3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM #21
nvs52

MARPAT dude......i am way more of a tourney player now but in my awesome wood days, i used only the best, and the best (USMC) uses the MARPAT...they chose/designed that patter based on the fact that at medium to long range, the digital pattern breaks up and blurs to blend in with the surrounding environment, further hiding you by upwards of 35-40 percent. MULTICAM is an experimental pattern that was briefly used by some Army Special Forces units and the FORCE 21 trials (LAND WARRIOR) and is seen in the SF team on TRANSFORMERS, but it is not widely accepted or used. Trust this statement, if it is good enough for the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS, then it must work, and it must be working good. Plus if for some reason you find yourself on a desert/sand SoCal scenario field, the MARPAT also comes in Desert.

S.E. INFECTION

Gen 1 ULd PMR F/S/T PM me
nvs52 is offline   Reply With Quote