Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-17-2009, 03:59 PM #64
Seekey
Dave

Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
Well Jeff if you want to cultivate some fruit....this D3 team always is looking for help . Probably be some time before we ripe tho. hahahaha
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 PM #65
jonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
Are you saying he fills pods better than I do?

That's sorta bull****.
You always did fill pods slower....than the kids you'd threaten with the infamous blow torch.

Jeff, you also forgot to mention an important part of the "getting to know you" process. You know, the whole part where you terrorize poor kids and try to make them submit to your every command.

Anybody remember Siewers running about a mile away from ESP when Jeff and Thomas tried to grab him?

jonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:36 PM #66
painter4life05
cixelsyd

Annual Supporting Member
painter4life05 supports Cereal Killerz 2
painter4life05 donated to help Peyton Trent
To Hurricanes
How do you feel about the new movement in the PSP to have stats and data on players/teams?
painter4life05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM #67
BiLLy BerNaCChiA

BiLLy BerNaCChiA is a Supporting Member
BiLLy BerNaCChiA is a Professional paintball player
BiLLy BerNaCChiA owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BiLLy BerNaCChiA plays in the APPA Pro division
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter4life05 View Post
To Hurricanes
How do you feel about the new movement in the PSP to have stats and data on players/teams?
I personal think its pretty cool to have stats in pro paintball, Its another step to the next level that paintball needs. Now fans can see how their favorite pro's are playing and see why teams are losing. Im not sure where you go to look them up tho.
Follow me on:
Twitter | Facebook |Fan page
BiLLy BerNaCChiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM #68
jjokeefe

Couple of questions for you guys.

Could you take us through the typical practice regime when you do a full weekend practice with another pro team?

What percentage of time do you spend walking the field, playing points, doing drills?

Do you use the other team as a sounding board for game plans? Or do you guys not help each other at all, and just use each other as practice dummies?

What are the biggest reasons for practicing other pro teams? What do you feel are the downfalls?

Where do you feel the Hurricane's biggest area of opportunity lies now that two of your teammates have left? What is now your biggest strength?
jjokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 PM #69
jonzo

I'm not on the Hurricanes, but I used to go to their practices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjokeefe View Post
Could you take us through the typical practice regime when you do a full weekend practice with another pro team?

What percentage of time do you spend walking the field, playing points, doing drills?
Historically & depending on what field the team(s) play at:
-Spend 1-3 hours setting up fields, or depending on who you are, watching the others setup the field for you.
-Spend .5-1 hr. walking fields. Game plans are created/developed as you learn the field. In X-ball and 7-man formats, some plans were created prior to practice, but more often than not the team develops break outs and overall game plan progression as the day moves on. This is also subject to change based on what week of practice it is before the event. For example, the week before the event, plays are usually locked in and you're trying to break-shoot & make your spots efficiently.
-Play anywhere from 4-5 hours.

The second day is much the same, with less time being spent on field adjustment & walking, and more on playing. Usually an earlier quit time so everyone can pack up and drive home.

Quote:
Do you use the other team as a sounding board for game plans? Or do you guys not help each other at all, and just use each other as practice dummies?
Not as much as you would think. Sometimes opposing players will come over and ask questions about how you shot them, which will then prompt you to create some elaborate lie and inadvertently discover what works. Or, you could be stupid and tell every player on the opposing team how you shot them and ruin a perfectly good game-plan.

Quote:
What are the biggest reasons for practicing other pro teams? What do you feel are the downfalls?
Practicing other Pro teams puts people across the field with at least equal skill as your team. You cannot judge how effective your game plan is by executing it on teams that aren't up to par with your team since they're not losing the game only because you have the better plan (they're also losing because you have more skilled gunfighters, smarter players, etc...).

Biggest downfalls - fights, teams take your players (ie. Son, Thomas, Billy, etc etc etc), and there is at least one or two plays you shouldn't run against the team you practice since they'll be more familiar with how you plan to play a field than anyone else.

Quote:
Where do you feel the Hurricane's biggest area of opportunity lies now that two of your teammates have left? What is now your biggest strength?
In the players that didn't leave...duh . From what I can see, their biggest strength is now from the snake...although it sure ain't no original snake tape.
jonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:46 PM #70
jjokeefe

Thank you Jonzo. Not sure if you are familiar with who I am, but I know who you are I appreciate the time and the effort in your response.

Do you think your practices would be better if the team across the side of the field was more cooperative, or do you need the competition to be just that, competition?

Do you think the main objective of any practice is learning the field, learning the break outs (with XBall, you need more than the standard 2-3 for 7 man), or learning the way each individual player fits in to that individual layout?

Do you think a better practice involves an adversarial team that is on par with your abilities, or someone weaker than you but who is there to help you guys get up to speed?

Example: We have a practice squad. We use them to mimmick break outs, run plays we think our opponents will run. They play as hard as they can, but they are out there to really to help make the main squad better. After points, they tell our guys where they got shot from, where they were shooting people from, what they saw, etc.

But. . .our practice squad isn't as good as some of the other XBall teams in the area, yet

Would you rather run your practices against better adversaries, or weaken teams who are there to HELP you?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM #71
BiLLy BerNaCChiA

Quote:
Thank you Jonzo. Not sure if you are familiar with who I am, but I know who you are I appreciate the time and the effort in your response.

Do you think your practices would be better if the team across the side of the field was more cooperative, or do you need the competition to be just that, competition?
Playing (scrimmaging) against a better team or simply a team who is on your level is the best way to really learn, But most of the time they are not going to work with you to help you. Your really there to help yourself. Drills however, is where you need to work together an let your team know where and if your getting bounced or hit to learn what shots work and which dont and why they dont work. For example seeing if lanes are simply too high or too low. So yes it is effective to be cooperative in practice.

Quote:
Do you think the main objective of any practice is learning the field, learning the break outs (with XBall, you need more than the standard 2-3 for 7 man), or learning the way each individual player fits in to that individual layout?
With Xball its very important to keep your own personal skill up to par. So to answer your question, Yea when you are scrimmaging against other team the main objective is to learn the field. Drills are where you work on your paintball skills.
With 7 man the main objectives are improving the (team) work. Learning the field is obviously important but without team work you wont win. You really cant rely on individual skill like you can in xball.

Quote:
Do you think a better practice involves an adversarial team that is on par with your abilities, or someone weaker than you but who is there to help you guys get up to speed?

Example: We have a practice squad. We use them to mimmick break outs, run plays we think our opponents will run. They play as hard as they can, but they are out there to really to help make the main squad better. After points, they tell our guys where they got shot from, where they were shooting people from, what they saw, etc.

But. . .our practice squad isn't as good as some of the other XBall teams in the area, yet

Would you rather run your practices against better adversaries, or weaken teams who are there to HELP you?
Like I said before playing better teams is really where you going to learn and get your team better. I think while playing lower teams the best way to have a productive practice are doing drills and just working on fundamentals. Make them your moving targets

But you playing them will really help them so if you plan to one day build a competitive team outa team keep giving them the practice they need.
Follow me on:

Last edited by BiLLy BerNaCChiA : 04-21-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 AM #72
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Jeff: Jonzo and Billy gave a good answer.

There *is* no typical practice. Each team is different. The All A's get to the field early and play late on Saturday. Tampa tends to do longer Sundays, so we got field time for ourselves late Saturday.

We come in with some idea of lines and plays and start off playing points (but not matches) and work through what happens. It is an iterative process, and small issues are ususally worked out in between points without sit down meetings in the middle of the day. Sometimes we end the day running drills on our own to work through specific issues. We often have a meeting on Saturday night, set the goals and game plans for Sunday and then repeat Sunday. Although on Sunday we tend to play matches.

Quote:
Jeff: Depends on the team and the players. Hurricanes were very friendly with MOD last year and would walk fields with them and point things out to them. But we wouldn't discuss game plans with Arsenal. The other team becomes a sounding board not through conversation but action - we see what is working (on our end and theirs) and we see what adjustments the other team makes.

I know this last weekend Jason Trosen (All A's coach) and BJ discussed some game plans. But I don't think either 'gave away' anything.

When we practice non-pro teams, its different.

Quote:
Jeff: Jonzo gave a perfect answer.

Quote:
Jeff: This is a complex question. Let me say the team was in a funk and sometimes change for change's sake is warranted. This was a shock to the system and we needed that. We now have players who have a fresh outlook. Everything else being equal (and I'm not saying they are), we needed that.

Quote:
Jeff: Again, Billy gave a good answer. I think a lower-level team will be more valuable in running drills than in scrimmaging against.

The REAL value in a lower-ranked team is in developing players. That is actually the carrot for the pro-organization to incent active coaching.

Quote:
Jeff: Jon, I think you have to do all of the above if you want to be successful. But you can learn the field during drills. You can write up breakouts and game plans during drills. Scrimmaging is when these get tested and revised.

Quote:

Jeff: There is a sliding scale. MOD wasn't as good as us, but it made for a great practice. Authority was as good as us, but we tended to fight too much. NEX was a good team for us in 7man.

So I think you have to consider chemistry, short and long term goals (both importance and urgency), and effectiveness.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 AM #73
jjokeefe

When are you going to get your website updated?

Do you see the Hurricanes as an organization that is primarily composed of Jeff Stein and the players on the team, or as an entity that could survive a major roster change? I.E. in X number of years when the core group of guys say "enough, we want to play backgammon and have real jobs" do you see the 'Canes staying around, picking up a whole group of new players, or do you think the team really dies when the core group of guys leave?

What organizations do you guys admire the most in professional sports? Paintball or non-paintball.

With MAO fast approaching, how ready do you feel?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM #74
BiLLy BerNaCChiA

Quote:
When are you going to get your website updated?
We are currently working on that right now... Looking to get it going soon hopefully. Know anyone looking for a job ?

Quote:
Do you see the Hurricanes as an organization that is primarily composed of Jeff Stein and the players on the team, or as an entity that could survive a major roster change? I.E. in X number of years when the core group of guys say "enough, we want to play backgammon and have real jobs" do you see the 'Canes staying around, picking up a whole group of new players, or do you think the team really dies when the core group of guys leave?
Well Jon, Only time will tell. I'd love to see the name keep going.

Quote:
What organizations do you guys admire the most in professional sports? Paintball or non-paintball.
I'll leave this one open for Jeff.

Quote:
With MAO fast approaching, how ready do you feel?
Well we had some good practice, but as you all know we went threw alot of changes a week ago. As always we are ready for the event. I feel like we have a strong team but didn't have much time so we will see what happens.
Follow me on:
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM #75
burrito415
RTK Paintball

burrito415 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLy BerNaCChiA View Post
We are currently working on that right now... Looking to get it going soon hopefully. Know anyone looking for a job ?
ME! I do riptide's site and I am working on greg "ginger" sewiers site, i am bored as **** so hit me up
Thomas "Gibby" Quick Fan Club #1
http://www.thenewenglandhurricanes.com
http://www.billybernacchia.com
burrito415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 AM #76
benpb03

benpb03 is a Professional paintball player
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
There is a sliding scale. MOD wasn't as good as us, but it made for a great practice. Authority was as good as us, but we tended to fight too much. NEX was a good team for us in 7man.
\
After this event I can guarantee we will be a good xball team to practice to.

NeX-Riptide is back in full strength...this event the roster is NeX + Gibby from riptide, look for us to have alot stronger performance than phoenix.
New England Avalanche | Benny Carroll #2

Valken |Vanguard Demon | NXe | Stiffi Barrels | Ninja Paintball | Dye | Exalt | RAZA | Tech PB | OXCC | Sly | Boston Paintball | GXG
benpb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 AM #77
J. Stein

Benny,

Is the secret of your return to prominence Ollie's paintball class?

Seriously, what's up with the link?

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM #78
burrito415
RTK Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpb03 View Post
After this event I can guarantee we will be a good xball team to practice to.

NeX-Riptide is back in full strength...this event the roster is NeX + Gibby from riptide, look for us to have alot stronger performance than phoenix.
gibby is worthless. tell him i said that.

- burrito
Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM #79
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
What is the best method to keep young players from "retiring"?

Girls? Booze? Blackmail?

(Also, that Ollie Lang book's website looks like it's straight out 1996. Dude needs to sell more books so he can afford a decent web designer.)

NEPb - Destructive Customs - Feedback: Old New - Stuff for sale

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM #80
cronpaintball2007
www.cronpaintball.com

cronpaintball2007 is a Paintball photographer
cronpaintball2007 is an NCPA player
cronpaintball2007 plays in the APPA D4 division
i actually made that site in 7th grade jk.

with the current roster do you think youll have a better showing at mao
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM #81
J. Stein

I expect to do better at MAO than at Phoenix, not necessarily because of the roster.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 04-29-2009, 02:07 PM #82
burrito415
RTK Paintball

I think the canes will do alot better (as jeff said not because of the roster) but because the canes are now more use to the xball format, the talent is deffinately there.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM #83
VSOwnage
Pursuit of Professional

VSOwnage plays in the PSP
VSOwnage is an NCPA player
VSOwnage plays in the APPA D3 division
At what age did you go pro?

How hard is it balancing school, family, work, and paintball?

Do you have any regrets?

Do you think professional paintball teams/organizations will scout out college players much like other sports in the near future?
Fox 4 Paintball - Upton, MA

Last edited by VSOwnage : 04-30-2009 at 11:02 AM.
VSOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 AM #84
J. Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSOwnage View Post
At what age did you go pro?
Jeff:I'll leave that for one of the players.

Quote:
How hard is it balancing school, family, work, and paintball?
Jeff:I've never had a terribly hard time with it. But the Hurricanes didn't take off until well after I was done with college. I think that someone who is well organized and can prioritize things can do it. But that's not to say some things might not drop off. I lost time with my family because of paintball. I know that for a younger person starting off in a career, playing as much as we do can hurt one's job (although, for someone 2 or 3 years into the workforce, it would have a greatly reduced impact).

Quote:
Do you have any regrets?
Jeff:About?

Quote:
Do you think professional paintball teams/organizations will scout out college players much like other sports in the near future?
Jeff:I don't. I don't think the sport is even remotely close to being that well developed, nor do I think we are currently moving in that direction. Further, I don't think college teams are the training grounds for future pros. Frankly, college would likely get in the way.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie