PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM #1
ZerOxShadows
No Angels

ZerOxShadows plays in the APPA D4 division
Overboring vs Underboring

Hey guys, so I've done some research through the stickies as well as the search button but I just want to get this thread out to see if I missed something insightful as well as expanding the knowledge of others who might view this thread.

So my questions are:

What are the pros and cons of overboring as well as underboring?

What is your preference and why?

Thanks!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2009, 04:41 PM #2
FBHS RAINMAN
Σπ Sigma Pi

Overboring Pros:
better consistency over chrono
hardly ever break paint
Overboring Cons:
Slightly less efficiency
lose a little accuracy (very minimal to barely noticeable)
If you do break paint, it won't self clean

Underboring Pros:
very good accuracy
self cleans very well
better efficiency

Underboring Cons:
more breaks
less consistency over chrono

I may have missed something, but that is most of the main points

I prefer matched. best of both worlds. IMO
FBHS RAINMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:26 PM #3
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
^ This guy prety much summed it up. In my opinion, overboring is really the way to go unless you are playing pump. Underboring is effective, but you still run a higher chance of breaking paint if you happen to have a ball that is bigger than the tested batch that you are using. You basically have to ride a finer line with underboring whereas with overboring you just slap a larger bore on there and are good to go with anything you toss in.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM #4
shredxcam

overbore-balls roll out of barrel on pump/closed bolt gun, less efficiant
underbore-balls dont roll out more efficent
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM #5
WihGlah
Underboring works

WihGlah owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Underboring is effective, but you still run a higher chance of breaking paint if you happen to have a ball that is bigger than the tested batch that you are using.
Underboring does not cause barrel breaks. It's a myth.

Couple of weeks ago I shot paint sized at .687 - .691. I used a .682 barrel. Shot about 2000 balls with zero barrel breaks.

This is what causes most barrel breaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PS88...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WJo...e=channel_page

WE ARE BORG!
SCORE IS IRRELEVANT!

Last edited by WihGlah : 04-09-2009 at 06:16 PM.
WihGlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM #6
Banzaii

does underboring really lead to less consistency?

i just started underboring with a .685 recently after having used a .691 or .693 and its more consistent now i believe, around +- 3 fps

i thought that overboring and underboring led to pretty much the same consistency because it allows the conditions to be more alike every time, whereas if you match paint and the balls arent all the same size some may snag the barrel or something and cause added friction so consitency is worsened.

i have also not had a barrel break while underboring, nor did i when overboring

Last edited by Banzaii : 04-09-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Banzaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 AM #7
WihGlah
Underboring works

WihGlah owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaii View Post
does underboring really lead to less consistency?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzaii View Post
i thought that overboring and underboring led to pretty much the same consistency because it allows the conditions to be more alike every time, whereas if you match paint and the balls arent all the same size some may snag the barrel or something and cause added friction so consitency is worsened.

i have also not had a barrel break while underboring, nor did i when overboring

WE ARE BORG!
SCORE IS IRRELEVANT!
WihGlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM #8
Six_Shooter
,,,(^_^),,,

I used to try and "match the bore to the paint" and was never really happy with the results, better than a stock barrel, but not what I was looking for. LOL

I tried overboring, but then I might as well have used the stock barrel, because it was pretty much the same results, inconsistant, and random trajectory.

So I tried underboring, a little bit un-intentional, since I was playing one day, left the sleeve in the back, and then just threw that same back and sleeve on the next day in a bit of a rush to get everything together and out on the field, and noticed more consistancy in paint trajectory, and over the chrono. I'm not sure I'd go as far to say less breaks, but I am leaning that way, since I have noticed what seems to be less breaks since going to underboring.

Kinda sucks too, I just bought a full stainless steel Freak insert kit and would likely only use 2 or 3 of the sleeves. LOL At least I got the Stiffi front with it, which is what I was really after.

"Originally posted by gamer565: I can't believe its not butter, cause it sure shoots like it."

"Originally posted by lucasicool: im more excited than rebecca black on a thursday night!!!!"
Six_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM #9
FBHS RAINMAN
Σπ Sigma Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WihGlah View Post
Underboring does not cause barrel breaks. It's a myth.

Couple of weeks ago I shot paint sized at .687 - .691. I used a .682 barrel. Shot about 2000 balls with zero barrel breaks.

This is what causes most barrel breaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PS88...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WJo...e=channel_page

The reason that I said that it does is from my personal experience. I have tried underboring, and I always bust paint in the barrel; however, when I have overbored it barely ever happens. Say what you want about it being a myth, but I have personally experienced it happening. I have no doubt that those vids are the most probable cause in colder weather, but not when it is 90+ with 75%+ humidity.

It is really easy to understand why it would break. You are trying to shove an object down a tube that it is smaller than the object.
FBHS RAINMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:21 PM #10
shredxcam

we need cocker punk
Old 04-10-2009, 02:26 PM #11
iday10
Insane in the Membrane

Let me try to settle this without having to type out a huge, long-winded post. Warpig did a test on this subject awhile ago, and posted their results. They found the number of barrel breaks to be virtually identical, but found that although underboring produced better chrono consistency, it produced significantly less accuracy. The method that worked best for accuracy turned out to be bore matching, with overboring a close second, and underboring a definite third. Proof of this can even be found in Mann's test, which showed that most often it is the bore matched paint that performs best in terms of accuracy, with overboring coming in very close behind.

Huzzah for Epic MD Mod Thread!

Macdev Militia
iday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:00 PM #12
i_luv_strats
Free techs+repairs PM me!

i_luv_strats helped look for balloons
i_luv_strats owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i_luv_strats owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i_luv_strats supports Team VICIOUS
must use common sense in underboring, if you take a 693 paintball and shove it through a 679 insert it will break. a couple thousandths is all that is needed. i've yet to break a ball underboring this way.

Originally posted by psiborg: Don't get one...I relate buying an AKA product to trying Crack. Sure it's fun at the start but then you just want more and more until you're ready to sell your family to a shady guy in a zoot suit for that FSP/Tarantula/Halfmill/Fullmill/Bonebrake etc. Damn now I've gone and soiled myself."
Furious Paintball Lotus barrel review .686 .689 .693 bores
i_luv_strats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 PM #13
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_luv_strats View Post
must use common sense in underboring, if you take a 693 paintball and shove it through a 679 insert it will break. a couple thousandths is all that is needed. i've yet to break a ball underboring this way.
Yup. Underbore JUST BARELY and you'll get maximum balance of efficiency and consistency while still having no more than normal breaks.

Overbore if you're lazy and don't feel like checking the size of the paint, or you're shooting paint that varies from .679 to .691. You'll lose efficiency but consistency should actually be better than "perfect" match.

Never match paint well. You'll get maximum efficiency, but lose out on everything else.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 PM #14
Banzaii

seems like a lot of people havent even tried underboring and just go with the "logical" arguement that there is a higher risk of breaking a paintball when you push it through a smaller hole.
reality is though it doesnt lead to more breaks. 0.001-0.004 inches is extremely little and paintballs have no issue being compressed that much.

to me it seems like the best way to acchieve accuracy is by making the condiditions as equal as possible for every shot. this is most easily and imo best done by underboring or overboring, not matching. why? because the paint changes alot more from ball to ball than you may think, and is what affects accuracy the most. more of this is eliminated by underboring or overboring, because all the balls will be either compressed or have moe than enough room
Banzaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:10 PM #15
Cocker Blast
boB one of many!

Personally I don't subscribe to any one method.

I use the barrel(s) I have on hand and the paint I have on hand and go from there as to what is working for me on that given day.

Temps and quality of the paint are factors also.