PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-31-2003, 11:20 PM #1
evilomen

has been a member for 10 years
bolt swelling

my omen work fine untill it gets hot and the bolt swells or somwting and it will shoot 2 and then not recock and all my ajustments are right so anyone no anything about this
Old 08-31-2003, 11:56 PM #2
Spartan X
Unbanned

Spartan X is a Supporting Member
mmmm...I dout it's the bolt.

Old Feedback

My Lifestyle Determines My Deathstyle.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:31 AM #3
Huge

Huge is a Supporting Member
Yah I've had a few problems arise with recock when the gun gets spanking hot... Since its blackity black, sunlight can make it smokin hot... which in turn makes the gun expand, constricting the movement of the hammer and bolt... Just try to keep it out of the sun between games and you should be alright.

This can happen with any marker, but its more pronounced with the black ones like the omen.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:20 PM #4
Redeemer
Lifes a gong show

WOOHOO alright, finally a gun that will work good in sub zero temps(that celcius, i think about 30 ferenheit, I'm canadian, eh)

Unlike my autococker, but seriously sorry to hear about your problem, and it even says in the manual, keep out of direct sunlight as this may cause the bolt to swell.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:58 PM #5
Mcot2

just keep it under a white towel in the shade between games and ull be set.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:59 PM #6
jnthn205
Banned

thanx for the advice. I am going to play next weekend. I dont want my bolt to swell either. Thanx

then again, i do liev in texas so i think im screwed. I will just place the gun back in my back or i will bring a towel or something.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:44 AM #7
ApoC_101 (Banned)
FALCONIZING!!!

it could be the bolt, if its unfilled delrin, that stuff is harsh. ive been told the Evil bolts for spyders and such are low grade unfilled delrin, and that they absorb light oils pretty severely.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:55 AM #8
Vern1
Timmy - WooHoo!!

Vern1 is a Supporting Member
Vern1 is a founding member
Vern1 helped look for balloons
Greetings,

OK, first, I am in Texas and it is hot, but I don't think these two were heat related!!!
I had to take two Omen bolts to the lathe this weekend.
They had been allowed to set with broken paint on the bolt for a few weeks since last use and were very hard to slide in and out of the breech.
On the advice of a PMI rep, I tried sanding the bolt for a better fit.
After much elbow grease, I just chucked them up in the lathe and spun them down until they fit nicely in the breech, but not loose so they would blow back.
The owners were pleased with the results as they worked well the rest of Sat and all day Sun.

I also noticed that the two bolts were different.
One had only one step on the side for the reed block to hit, the other had two steps like most of the bolts I have seen.

I also "clearenced" the back block on my personal Omen in my Bridgeport mill so it doesn't rub on the cocking rod and beavertail rods.
It seems to be much happier now, and got it's consistency back as it was rubbing on the cocking rod causing erratic FPS across the Chrono.
Petty Paintball - www.pettypb.com
Deadbox before dishonor!
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to Internet Forums, we know this is not true."
Old 09-02-2003, 09:03 AM #9
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
I also lathed my bolt a little to get it back to correct fit.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 AM #10
ApoC_101 (Banned)
FALCONIZING!!!

DEFINITELY an absorbsion problem. my advice, besides turning it down with a lathe once it swells, would be to replace the bolt with a better one, and if someone from Evil reads this, i would definitely start making your bolts with a filled nylon, something like maybe Moly-DiSulfide Filled Cast Nylon 6/6, or maybe a brand name one like Nylatron GS/GSM/NSM, etc. delrin, especially unfilled, is definitely not the best choice of material for bolts. Teflon Filled Delrin is good, but its more expensive than any of those filled cast nylons.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:32 PM #11
evilomen

I sent my gun into pmi and this is what they said that the bolt actually was swelling as well as the little thing that the bolt hits inside the gun that controlls the cam arm was swelling to so thats why when i shot by back block was sticking out also?