Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM #1
Mitchel01

Exclamation Metadyne Ind Launcher or JCS Launcher?

Hey,

I just wanted to see what everone thinks about the newer Metadyne Ind launcher vs. the JCS launcher. I am going to get one but I don't know which. I haven't heard anyone give a review on the new Metadyne one. If any one has some feedback then I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Mitchel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM #2
DuckTape Dude
Layin' down the L.A.W.

DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DuckTape Dude has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Lemme just throw this out there. Have you considered building one? If your a tinkerer like me, then you should definately think about building one! Its really fun and its a great feeling when people complement you on something you built!!!
DuckTape Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 PM #3
cutstep
Minnesota

Annual Supporting Member
cutstep is playing at Living Legends III
cutstep owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
the havoc is nuts... just nuts
cutstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 PM #4
JCHoefer

JCHoefer is a Supporting Member
JCHoefer is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Have a HAVOC myself. Will be using it this weekend at West Point. I'll put up a formal review after.

Informally, I love it. I've fired about a dozen rounds in the street. My wife agreed to help me by catching the rockets (Nerf Vortex.) First shot was long (~280'). Second shot hit her in the crotch (~250'). Both were fired using a 12gm adapter. I get 2 good shots and then have to change out the 12gm. You've got to be careful loading the rockets though. If the fins are all bent up in the barrel, the rocket goes anywhere BUT your target.

That said, I haven't used the JCS launcher, so it's hard to do a comparison on functionality. The HAVOC is considerably shorter and also has the option for underbarrel mounting. It's also about $125 cheaper in undermount form.
Ultimate Revenge 2 (Blue & Silver Acid Wash w/ Black Sponge), Gloss Black CCM Series 6, Bob Long MVP (Olive), DYE DAM (Black), Sterling STP (Blue), Half-Blocked E-Cocker w/ MQ2, Sniper III w/ BOA Concealer (converted to undercocking), Metadyne HAVOC launcher, Metadyne Thumbper, Pair of Gobins, Airstar Nova 700, F2 Illustrator, Spyder SE (running 265fps@210psi)
JCHoefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM #5
Mitchel01

Exclamation

Yea, I do like to build and tinker but PVC isn't your friend when you need 180psi+ going into the chamber. Besides, I want something small that I can pack on my gun or in a back pack.

Out of curiosity, what is the range of chronograph speeds that you can set such as the lowest FPS and highest FPS? I know some fields won't allow them to go over a certain speed limit so I wanted to see if they are adjustable, how, and by how much.

Also, what ammunition (rockets, grenades, paintballs)?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 AM #6
voodoo27909
Team SoVa- XO

*sigh*

...properly constructed and maintained PVC pressure tanks are fine, blah blah blah etc, etc etc.....but lets not go back there again, lol.

Oops, almost forgot. The most common FPS requirement for a LAW at an event that I have seen is 230fps. I have not seen any higher as of yet...although Im sure somewhere out there there are higher limits in place. The lowest I have seen was 215fps.....DEMO guys there complained about it until three hours into the event the field owner changed it to 225fps.
Air operated LAWs generally incorperate a regulator inline to adjust the FPS, as well as barrel length and air chamber size/ internal chamber pressure. 12gram CO2 operated LAWS govern the fps with expansion chambers of proper proportions, barrel length, and by the speed of the ball valve operation (if used, and most commonly ARE used on 12 gram launchers). I have not seen a 12 gram launcher use an inline regulator yet...but again, im sure that somewhere out there someone has one rigged up.
You've prbly seen this already...but here is a vid from the Metadyne guys.

Im not impressed by the JCS launcher (just my personal opinion), and I have not actually seen the Metadyne in the field yet...so no comment there

Special thanks to:
Pinokio Hoppers/ The "Swamp"/ Engler Customs/ Valken/ Bad News Paintball/ Herbert-Lee Insurance Agency, Inc.

Last edited by voodoo27909 : 04-01-2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Slow mind, fast fingers.
voodoo27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 AM #7
Mitchel01

Exclamation

Yea, those JCS launchers don't look like they get very good range and look very bulky. Those Metadyne HAVOC launchers shoot like over 300 feet which is crazy for how small they are. I saw the dissasembly video and it looks like everything is well built. $300-400 is pricy but it's similar to the pricing on the JCS and the old Scepter Launcher (no longer made). One of my friends has both the scepter and that Tippmann EGL47. I don't think either are adjustable in their FPS but I might be mistaken. Also, they are heavy like a brick.

My favorite thing about the HAVOC is that they have a insert for that 12 paintballs can be shot out of it without wadding or any device to hold the paintballs. It just fits inside the barrel and the gun shoots air through the chambers that hold the paintballs. I think they are coming out with a breech load accessory that lets you load it from the back like the JCS ones do. Looks pretty promissing.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 PM #8
FredX4
SUNS OUT GUNS OUT

I've used both. The Havoc is better in my opinion, lighter, more accurate, easier to load. Only downside I see is problems I'm having with O-rings blowing, some others have & some haven't. The insert I have doesn't work very well but it's not from Metadyne. Tha Havoc is also able to be weapon mounted if you want.

Last edited by FredX4 : 04-21-2009 at 05:08 PM.
FredX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 PM #9
Mitchel01

I'm probably going to get the undermount version and buy the rifle kit since it's cheaper than doing it vice versa. I am also going to pick up one of those holders for the HAVOC that launches 12 paintballs at once. I might try to make it breech load although I hear Metadyne is coming out with their own kit for it. If fields won't let me use it then I will just have to find other useful things to use it for (shooting the neighbors chawawa, lol).
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM #10
Eldon Tyrell

Both kill tanks

We are running both and had both in operation at Stalingrad. Each has its merits.

The Metadyne launcher runs at a higher operating pressure and gives a bigger slug of air than the JCS. Downside is that it tears up JCS rockets. Range is about 90meters at a 45 degree angle at about 50 degrees temperature on HPA.

The JCS is bulkier, but can mount a siting system and runs 12 gram, HPA, or CO2. I've found a similar range for the JCS, but it is a little more complex to tune. It has also has a proven track record in the field.

The Metadyne is handier than the JCS. Loads faster from the front, gets on target better, and brings a nostalgic tear to the eye for the old M-79 grenade launcher. The ability to mount it under the marker also makes it very attrractive. The M16/M203 was one of my favorite mayhem tools.

The Metadyne launcher is brand new. That means that it may have service life issues and parts problems until it is better established in the market. JCS has been around for awhile. It had some leaking problems in the first couple of production runs after they were in the field for awhile, but our later production model seems to be working fine.

My recommendation is that if you want a grenade laucher/RPG go with Metadyne. If you want to specialize in killing tanks and bunkers, the JCS is probably a better bet. You could always buy one and sucker a teammate into buying the other.
www.eviltyrellcorporation.com
Facebook
Semi-proudly sponsored by Pasadena Paintball Park and Paintball Sports and Supply in Maryland and
Commissioned Credentials
Eldon Tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:14 PM #11
Mitchel01

Yea, I like the small size of the Metadyne launcher versus the JCS. I do like that you can add a sight to the JCS but I more want to shoot grenades and paintballs. I want to launch nerf rockets or the JCS rockets too but not as much. Range is probably the biggest factor for me. I like how the JCS opens to breech load but Metadyne Ind is coming out with their own kit to make it a breech load. I really want to make a wood stock so that it looks like a M78 grenade launcher, lol.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM #12
Crimsonkid
pressure makes diamonds

Havoc...

I don't have any personaly expirence with the JCS but I know their paint chips off alot and they're very bulky. The Havoc on the other hand is small, accurate, reliable, quality, and easy to laod. The havoc is much more versitile, it can be a shot gun, rocket launcher, or grenade launcher. There's some thing about the Havoc that just spells out BAMF.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:54 PM #13
Trum_15

Trum_15 supports Team VICIOUS
Trum_15 supports Team VICIOUS
Trum_15 plays in the APPA D4 division
I don know personly but heard some good thing about them
Trum_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 AM #14
jlmitchell74

I have 2 havocs and they are great. I got them off of people that had problems with them and just replaced the o rings. I made sure I used a preasure regulated bottle and it works great. When I replaced the o rings I did put a dab of vaseline on the o rings. The other thing I like about it is if they do bust Home Depot carries the o rings in thier plumbing department. I ordered some from o ring monkey and got them, but they didn't fit and I'm waiting on a answer from them. Anyway the havoc is light weight and is pretty dang accurate. Anyway that's just what I think about them and I wouldn't want any others. Good luck and have fun.
jlmitchell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 AM #15
r_clarke
Disposable Heroes

i have BOTH,
and really the Metadyne wins hands down (good luck getting one, no one has anymore in stock).
I started with the under mount version, mounted my tank to it with an ASA and a 13ci tank. Havent gotten the grip, but i dont really need it. Fits right on my leg in a large size holster. We still use the JCS for larger games were 2 laws on the field is worth the effort to carrry the large JCS.

As far as O-rings, theres a company that sells a KIT on ebay to replace any an all o rings (about 6.99) , plus Metdayne is Great with customer service !
Animal Custom Paintball Gear_HitMan Gear
Psycho Scenario Mask covers

WEB
www.facebook.com/disposableheroespaintballteam
r_clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM #16
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
I know this is a bit of a necro on an old thread, but I just had a question on the Havoc Launcher

How is the thing gassed up? Is it a 12gram? Or what? Cause I see pictures of it all the time and I can never figure out hwo the underbarrel mounted one is pressurized to fire the rockets. Any idea?
E-Flex Army
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 AM #17
rdkcby

rdkcby donated to help Peyton Trent
rdkcby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadeyeDante View Post
I know this is a bit of a necro on an old thread, but I just had a question on the Havoc Launcher

How is the thing gassed up? Is it a 12gram? Or what? Cause I see pictures of it all the time and I can never figure out hwo the underbarrel mounted one is pressurized to fire the rockets. Any idea?
The macroline port on the side of the unit is how it is gassed up to use. You can use a 12 gram charger, tap off the air for the marker, or as alot of us run it with a 13ci 3000psi tank.
rdkcby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 PM #18
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
Hmm very well. Thanks RDK.
E-Flex Army
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM #19
hardboy

I have both. There both solid launchers. I would go with the Havoc, only for its size and its adjustable velocity.
The Black Korps
hardboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 PM #20
TSBull

havocis the best i run with a tac ten vest adn the havoc fits perfect i one of the pod holders when you cros a tanks path then step back out holding the havoc their first thought is your just trying to draw fire with a marker until(LOL) they see a rocket coming at them!!
done it twice already at Bearclaw in TN.
TSBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 PM #21
USMC2141
Your worst nightmare

USMC2141 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hands down Metadyne is the way to go, compact, accurate and more distance.
USMC2141 is offline   Reply With Quote