Community Focus

Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM #1
scadreau

scadreau plays in the USPL
scadreau plays in the PSP
scadreau supports Cereal Killerz 2
scadreau plays in the APPA D4 division
Tournament Idea - Bigger Prizes

One of the problems I see in the current tournaments is the prize funds are generally low compared to the entry fees. This thought assumes no 5-man divisions, only x-ball divisions for the tournament. Since the entry fee is the same, everyone may as well play "X".

I was thinking of setting up an annual tournament that charged $1000/team and 50% of every entry goes to the prize fund. If the same number of teams that paid for PSP Phx this year (133) played in this tournament, the prize fund would be $66,500. It is not cheap to play paintball but making tournament entries a bit more affordable and giving more of the entry money back to the prize fund seems like a formula that would entice teams to come out and play.

I am only interested in comments about the entry and prize fund. I don't want people talking about how much it costs to run a tourney etc. That would be for me to worry about. I just want to know if there would be a good turnout or not.

Thanks,

Scott
scadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM #2
bignosdaddy
Capt. No Mercy #7 & ASMC

bignosdaddy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If most of the Tournament Series thought like you did man...Turnouts would be so big and it would be a huge tournament...Which inturn could be a good thing..
Nicky Cuba Fan#142-Ollie Lang#260-Rich Teldford#117-Thomas Taylor#782-ODB..Timmmmy Fan#3
bignosdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 PM #3
scadreau

Well, it seems simple to me. It would be similar to other "amateur" sports venues. Where 1 out of X teams in a division get prize money and the tournament isn't there to make a ton of money rather put on a great event to promote the sport.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 PM #4
scadreau

I need to add that I am not against tournaments making money. I just feel that if someone (me) is willing to do the work and break even to advance the sport the teams should support it. IF I were to do it, I would only have it once a year because it takes a ton of work and logistical nightmares to pull off an event that has 100+ teams. Especially if 250+ show up like World Cup.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM #5
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
So what experience do you have running tournaments with 100+ teams?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:36 PM #6
Evil_Hatred
SIUC-Treasurer

I was wondering the same thing. If you have experience, please tell me how you will go about paying for the venue, lighting, seating, what the turnout will be, and how much (if any) money you will be keeping. I believe that the leagues would do this, if it was in the players best interest. Sure, they could pay out 50 % of the entry, but then how would they make money? They would have to raise the entrance fee.

I would like to see awesome prizes like that, but i don't think its realistic.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 PM #7
scadreau

In paintball, 0. In other sports, plenty. The question is not very relevant anyway since I would not be the only one involved. I would bring in some very talented people to help ensure everything was handled.

What I know 100% for sure is that paintball needs as much help as possible. I am considering trying to do something good for paintball and want to know if the teams would support it. I want to know if the general idea is something they like or if I shouldn't waste my time and money.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM #8
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

John is an Administrator
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
How is bigger prizes actually good for paintball? Only a few teams have a realistic chance of winning them. What does everyone else get?

I think most teams would prefer professional quality reffing, a great venue, a fun format and a fair playing field.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM #9
scadreau

The leagues would not do this because they are there for them. They are running a business for profit, not a charity.

The venue and other expenses would be figured out. I have rough numbers based on ~100 teams turning out. But the turnout would largely determine how large the venue would have to be. Maybe the venue that I currently have in mind would not work. That was the point of the original post. Is there enough interest for it to be 100 teams? 300 teams? 500?

It is funny how people jump with the negative rather than saying what can I do to help make this happen. I am not some 16 yr old kid with a pie in the sky idea. I am a successful business owner that loves the game. Hell, maybe I can afford to pay for the venue and add'l expenses out of pocket. Let's stay on track here and vet this idea from a player/team support side.

Scott
Old 02-11-2009, 04:54 PM #10
scadreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
How is bigger prizes actually good for paintball? Only a few teams have a realistic chance of winning them. What does everyone else get?

I think most teams would prefer professional quality reffing, a great venue, a fun format and a fair playing field.
Maybe bigger prizes will not be good. But more of your own money coming back to the players and lower entry fees are good.

Your second point is well taken. I have been looking at the reffing aspect and will be observing it closely in Phx. Depending on what the players define as a "great venue" that is certainly achievable. Given the number of teams that play x-ball, I would have to say it is a fun format. Any field that is mirrored is fair as long as both teams get the same number of starts from each side.

Scott
Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 PM #11
FrontMenDie1st
R. Frederickson

FrontMenDie1st plays in the PSP
FrontMenDie1st plays in the APPA D5 division
isnt the prize money heavily taxed?
maybe for the lower divisions giving the option of a discount and/or paint for the next event (like free/90% off entry in next tournament OR a prize package thats less than that).

this could be "cheaper" for psp because it gives them a nice prize, and avoids taxes.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM #12
Evil_Hatred
SIUC-Treasurer

And even if you start up a new league, it will be hard to attract teams to come play. With the economy and how tight money is as it is, they wont be able to invest in a third league (IF they are playing PSP and the USPL like many big team names are) and still be comfortable with their money situation.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:05 PM #13
BIG T25

BIG T25 is an NCPA player
BIG T25 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
BIG T25 supports DLX Technology
Why not just make the entry fees cheaper and keep the same prizes as the PSP?

If you charged half what the PSP charged and used their format and their prizes, it would be hard to not have a good turnout.
BIG T25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:07 PM #14
FrontMenDie1st
R. Frederickson

FrontMenDie1st plays in the PSP
FrontMenDie1st plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG T25 View Post
Why not just make the entry fees cheaper and keep the same prizes as the PSP?

If you charged half what the PSP charged and used their format and their prizes, it would be hard to not have a good turnout.
because then theyd have to compete with PSP... which you would prolly lose
Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 PM #15
KingKoopa

Well this is really a good idea a New League! But having a new league with these kind of payouts that will bring people to it over PSP but it may take time for people to realize.
KingKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM #16
Pereira!
Ruhspect teh dodgy!

Prizes arent what I play for, sure I love getting cash for next event but the entry fee and paint fee goes to great causes.

For example:
Would you play a tournement with 10 year old refs, no lunch included, huge lines for air fills and an unfair layout, but with a higher percentage of the profit going to prizes?

I personally would rather play in a tournament with good refs, a lunch, short air fill lines and a fair layout with the meax prize as $100.

"The Philadelphia Americans have nothing on the shield, nothing on the goddamn Ironmen"
|Thrash Inc.|

WTB Rotor, DXS pants and a sick longsleeve or jersey: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post64247460
Pereira! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 AM #17
Spd-ZaNG

The majority of teams going to serious tournaments are trying to take first - so a first place prize of $60k(no matter what way you look at it) would attract players and be a good thing.

Also - if done properly you don't need to sacrifice 'quality for quaintly'. It is defiantly possible to have a good tournament with good referees, venue, good lay outs (etc etc) and decent prize money.

A lot of the prize money I see is actually less then the entry fee, hardly nice.
Spd-ZaNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM #18
ex3145

First to eveyone else, Scott is talking about a 1 stop, single tourney not a new league so no need to worry about teams having choose betwen which leagues they want to join for the year. Just think of Oklahoma D-day for speedball.

Hey Scott,
I think you have the start of a great idea here!

As far as prizes you could even break that down to a top 3 prize pool 30k for first, 20k for 2nd and 10k for 3rd... Lower bracket you could probably give out sponsor prizes like guns, paint ECT... and with a top prize like that I am sure he would be able to bring in the sponsors. You would have to pick your location wisely; you would want it near as many teams as possible. I am not sure but it seems like you almost want to do like an "Open" format no rookie, pro divisions, just one big pool?

I started to play before speedball even existed and back when Speedball tourneys were just starting they had a Summer Slam tourney which was a lot like you describe. One huge summer tourney held over a 3 day weekend where everyone was lumped in together and it was really fun and prizes were awarded the same way as I describe above with a % of the entry going to the top 3 teams, of course back then entry into the tourney was only 250 bucks a team so the top prize was substantially lower. But what was so fun about this tourney is you had guys with original spyders going up against people using first gen Angels and heck one of our back players was shooting a brass eagle stingray with a 16 inch barrel lol... and we took 7th place. But it was a great chance to play against much better teams and ask them questions and really get to become part of the paintball community. We actually got sponsored off of the Summer Slam tourney because we played a Semi Pro team and "almost" beat them, it came down to a one on one shoot out and they liked us so much they talked to their sponsor and got us a sponsorship with them. So it has the potential to really benefit the paintball community and I think it is an awesome idea.
ex3145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 PM #19
jonathansnow14

great idea!

i think tat is a great idea. if only the ppl tat set up the tournys would think like tat. even though a 1000 is pretty expensive. but yea great idea. i mean i just won first place at a 3 man tourny sponsored by pbcentral and we only got medals and 60 bucks for dominoes
jonathansnow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM #20
PaintballBenny
how you ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathansnow14 View Post
i think tat is a great idea. if only the ppl tat set up the tournys would think like tat. even though a 1000 is pretty expensive. but yea great idea. i mean i just won first place at a 3 man tourny sponsored by pbcentral and we only got medals and 60 bucks for dominoes
thats the worst price ive ever heard.

the prizes where i play are decent. like tanks, hoppers, jerseys, pants, podpacks, gearbags are mostly what you get. or cash but its a rip off. its like only like hundred more per person than the entry fee. so if the entry is $200, then 4 man team is $50 per person, so each person only gets like $150 for first.
PaintballBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:13 PM #21
Skylerstan2007

I love the idea of going back to old school paintball. The only thing that bothers me about the idea is no Divisions. I mean, i would love the chance for my team to play agaisnt Ironmen or any pro team. But dont you think it would boil down to the Pro, D1 teams going in 1st 2nd and 3rd? Then wouldnt this tournament be roundrobin? Then a team travels to the event and only gets to play 2 games? I think its a great idea. I would LOVE to compete in it. Even if i had to go by myself and hope i could just hop in with someone. But it seems like you would need to spilt up some of the Divisions more IMO.

Flame away
CP Reg
Lucky Board, Virture Chip
Full Freak
CrossFire 70/45
Rotor
Skylerstan2007 is offline   Reply With Quote