Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 PM #1
JordanR

New SP-1 not functioning properly

I just purchased an SP-1 today, and I went home to try it out. On the way home I bought a box of 4 9 Volt batteries. When I got home, I read the instructions, and put a battery in the grip. I gassed it up with a completely full co2 tank, and fired it. It worked fine, I put my finger in the breach and shot, it was alright. I shot some more, it again worked properly.

I wanted to try its multiple firing modes, and after reading the instructions, I did the trigger-battery thing. I was unsuccessful in changing modes to select fire, though on the box there is a sticker saying it is capable of doing so.

Somehow during my dad and I fiddling with it, one of us (probably me) did something wrong, and the gun started to make only small puffing noises when it shot. The bolt no longer reciprocated, and upon further inspection, I found that the air was only coming out of a small hole in a circular thing protruding into the rear grip. I can only assume this is the solenoid.

I then proceeded to fiddle it for at least two hours, trying to change the firing modes, changing from HPA to CO2 modes (which worked) and disassembling it carefully multiple times.

In doing so I noticed that after turning it on sometimes, the LED would blink very rapidly for approximately three seconds, and then turn off. When I pulled the trigger, the light came on, but the gun did not discharge.

During the course of fiddling with it, I used three different batteries, each of which were brand new and had expiration dates of 2012. I also used 3 different completely full co2 tanks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize for such a long post.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
JordanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2009, 12:24 AM #2
JordanR

After going all the way back to page 6 on this forum subject I realized I had adjusted the dwell while doing the trigger-battery thing, trying to get select fire.

Now that I have the dwell set to 50, I can't get select fire, leading me to believe that I have an earlier SP-1. But It came with the "Vibe/SP-1 Gas Firing Modes" paper, and it has a sticker on the outer box that says;

NEW FIRING MODES

SELECT FIRE
Select Fire Mode Includes:
Semi-Automatic + 3 Round Burst + Full-Automatic
SEMI-AUTOMATIC
Tournament-Legal Locked Semi-Automatic Mode

SMART + PARTS

The box was unopened, and still had the plastic on it. So either I am still doing something wrong, or it was mispackaged, meaning I have to pay shipping on something that was advertised as select fire. (less likely)

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you,
Jordan

Last edited by JordanR : 04-11-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 AM #3
Zepulkinator
Epic Purple Dude

Zepulkinator plays in the PSP
Zepulkinator supports Team VICIOUS
Zepulkinator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Zepulkinator is Boss
Alright, when you turn it on and then press it again does it blink like it's in 3-round burst? If it doesn't then your either in locked semi or have an earlier version.
Zepulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 AM #4
JordanR

No blinking while in what seems to be the only mode besides dwell accessible through the trigger-battery operation.

The reason for the malfunction after it originally worked was because I unwittingly pulled the trigger and pushed the button in dwell mode, thinking I was in select-fire.

Its on 50 now, but the only modes I can get are semi-only and dwell setting.

So as I said before, I'm dumb or SP made a packaging error.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 AM #5
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Does it have a Blackheart board ?
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 AM #6
JordanR

I highly doubt it, because the LED has never turned green, or blinked like a blackheart. And there is no mention of it on the quick reference paper or on the box.

Good suggestion though, I thought of that an eleven last night, hoping for some crazy reason I got a steal on a mispackaged blackheart SP-1 !

Thank you,

Jordan
Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 PM #7
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
If it doesnt have a BH then how did you adjust the dwell ? I was to the understanding that dwell was only adjustable on the BH Boards.
[NA]WARLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:16 PM #8
Focus02

The initial SP-1/Vibes did not have select fire capability.
The programming used to be on those, that if you held the trigger when attaching the battery, it would go into a dwell adjustment mode.. (This was an unadvertised feature).

When smartparts introduced the select-fire ability in these markers, the hold-trigger-connect battery sequence was changed to enable/disable the semi-auto tournament lock..
Focus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM #9
JordanR

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2799562

"It's an easy mistake to make. The biggest problem is that their is nothing in the manual about it, and that it is the same process as unlocking the firing modes in the select fire model."

Meaning that the thread is referring to a non-select fire SP-1.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2558245

at the bottom;
"Old SP1, as I found out much later, does adjust the dwell manually that way. And I do not know the milliseconds on it." -Sean

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2595904

"Hi, I have the old SP1, i know how to change the two presets(CO2 HPA) by pressing the power button while conecting the battery...

But if you press the trigger while conecting the battery(in the OLD SP1), yo enter into a dwell configuration, mine is one of the first SP1s... I know that in the new ones by pressing trigger and conecting battery yo enter in fire mode selection..."

"(Sean has also just recently mentioned this capability of the old SP-1 software)"

Here is some research I did, Focus02 is correct.

So it is decided then that I have a older SP-1.
My question is, what is it doing in a box saying its select fire with a quick reference paper showing how to change firing modes?

Summary:
+I have the first gen.
+The second gen has locked semi, and select fire. This is what is advertised on the box.
+the third gen, with select fire, nxl, psp, locked semi and billy-ball modes is the other SP-1 at the shop they use for a display which can be had for the same price I bought my unopened SP-1 for. Though this one's power button sticks.
+Blackheart- red and green lights, and a plethora of settings.

Now that I've solved that question, my second is, what is the correct course of action from here, considering the box said select fire...

Thank you,

Jordan
Old 04-11-2009, 08:35 PM #10
Focus02

I'd give smartparts a call and give them a chance to correct the situation to your satisfaction.
Obviously the marker is still under warranty.
They've helped out others before. Be polite and reasonable, and I would expect you'll get politeness in return.
Focus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:03 PM #11
JordanR

Cool, that was my plan, but I called after business hours.
also, the guy at the store and my father are both convinced that the gun has select fire and I am just not operating it right.

The thing is, if I have SP fix it, would I have to pay Shipping? Because if so, why not return my gun at the store for the other one that has all the modes for the same price? How hard is it to fix a sticking power button?

I think before I talk with SP, I should wait until Monday when the only tech/owner of the shop/SP-1 expert-enthusiast is in, just to not go behind his back about it. Maybe he knows something I don't.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

Jordan
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM #12
Zepulkinator
Epic Purple Dude

Zepulkinator plays in the PSP
Zepulkinator supports Team VICIOUS
Zepulkinator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Zepulkinator is Boss
Yes, you have to pay shipping there, and shipping back.
Zepulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 PM #13
JordanR

I thought that was when you bought a semi-only consciously, then wanted a select-fire.

Mine said Select-fire but was semi-only.

I guess I would pay it, but thats kind of a bummer if its semi-false advertising...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:05 AM #14
DeViLs_SouL

Maybe u got a wrong version of the SP1.
I received a blackhearted SP1, but i payed as a normal one... Also came in a sealed box, with the same sticker ur talking about.

Talked to SP, asking them if all the SP1's were going to come witht the BH. and they denied that, and said i was lucky to get it that way.. it was a mistake they did..

anyway.. in this case, it was a good mistake for me.. but in your case, i think you can claim what you payed for
DeViLs_SouL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 AM #15
HUNK

I would definately make smart parts pay for the shipping if thats what you ordered and thats what the box says.
Good luck with getting it sorted out.

Last edited by HUNK : 04-13-2009 at 11:45 AM.
HUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 PM #16
JordanR

Thanks guys, I'm about to go to the shop to notify the owner, and we will see if I have to send it out or not.

Thanks,
Jordan