Collecting Nickles

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1realme View Post
Sorry but that is just ignorant and capitolism at its best
ig⋅no⋅rant  [ig-ner-uhnt] –adjective
lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned,

cap⋅i⋅tal⋅ism  [kap-i-tl-iz-uhm] – noun
an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, esp. as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth.

Your posts are ignorant and Dubai is one of the best examples of Capitalism in the world. Through Capitalism Dubai has achieved great prosperity.

Oh yeah... it's an A not an O.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 PM #66
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomnia365 View Post
... for me that would be maybe $100 for a day of play... but $300, that's a little ridiculous and even you can admit that....
There is the heart of your confusion, a day of paintball for you is maybe $100.

Don't get me wrong I don't ever play on paying $300 for a case of paint, I don't see myself paying over $100. Hell if I ever played at a field charging more than $100/case I'd probably have to stick with just a bag.

But this field isn't for me, nor is it for you, nor is it for anybody functioning in our economic market. As previously mentioned this is for a field in Dubai, now I don't know the exact structure of Dubai's economy but I'm fairly sure you make about $70,000/yr flipping burgers at McDonald's. (fake numbers, but precision numbers wasn't the point) (and as it turns out, I could be quite wrong)

Quote:
I didn't realize making a 200% profit from the fields charging $300 a case was really causing the death of a business. Perhaps what you meant was someone that charges a reasonable amount for a case of paint would cause havoc to the money hungry business owners that feel the need or whatever the case may be to charge $300 per case. Competition for a business doesn't only need to be in how much they charge, I agree field owners should take the time to get that 1 on 1 relationship with the customers they serve and the teams they promote, that is how the sport grows. However you cant deny or honestly defend charging $300 per case what it takes what maybe $35 to make?
I will assume you don't know what mt statement about price wars means. Irregardless to what the starting point of a product is, if I charge $100/case and you come in charging $80, so I go $70, then you go $60 ect ect ect. Eventually one of us will not be able survive, and they will either have to push their price back up, or close. Then the survivor is hosed because he only has customers because he's cheaper, not because he's better. So when they raise their prices back up, so they can make a profit, they stand to loose those floaters to someone else because there is no actual loyalty.

Once again $300 for a $35 product, WTF do they think they are selling movie theater popcorn?!?!? Oh yea, lots of companies make a ton of profit on stuff don't they??

BTW what paint are they providing??
How much does it cost per case??
How much is shipping??
How much are importing taxes??
How much are any other taxes in the area??

Yup, that's a whole lot of strong opinion, based on not a whole lot of known information.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".

Last edited by generalee72 : 04-04-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 PM #67
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Perhaps I'm a little Marxist in my thinking simply because I don't believe money should stop someone from perusing their dreams or living their life to the fullest.
OMG I just reread your post and saw this little nugget. If you really feel that way then maybe you should pack up and head over to France, or China, or Cuba. If you go please take Obama with you (even though he's more of a fascist than a marxist)

OOOOWWWW!! My eye is cramping up again!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:57 PM #68
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva Paintball View Post
OMG I just reread your post and saw this little nugget. If you really feel that way then maybe you should pack up and head over to France, or China, or Cuba. If you go please take Obama with you (even though he's more of a fascist than a marxist)

OOOOWWWW!! My eye is cramping up again!
I don't see the connection between those countries, Obama, and not letting money ruin your dreams in life...
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 PM #69
fooshoooo (Banned)

fooshoooo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
fooshoooo supports Team VICIOUS
fooshoooo is for the Gunfight
fields need to make money but should have days where its byop
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM #70
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooshoooo View Post
It depends on the park really. If 95% of your customers each weekend are renters who are either first timers or people who play maybe once or twice a year then there's no need for BYOP.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:39 AM #71
Executive Paintball
Field Owner

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Ok, but may i ask why you feel that way?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 AM #72
rory24

rory24 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
i play in dubai and there is only one place that sells paint which is rubbish walmart garbage that has been lying there now for three years(that hasent been turned and is coverd in dimples) the only option is FPO. i dont really see the point of this thread as no player is willing to pay for shipping on a case of paint from the us
oh and btw were not all millioners most of us get paid the same as anywhere else in the world
Old 04-04-2009, 07:06 AM #73
ryanpb91
ryan

ryanpb91 helped look for balloons
ryanpb91 is playing at Living Legends III
ryanpb91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ryanpb91 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive Paintball View Post
Ok, but may i ask why you feel that way?
too answer the question for him, byop days are for the serious players, the regulars that come out week after week. and just like stores "lose" money on sales sometimes, you will build up a fan base.

Last edited by ryanpb91 : 04-04-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 AM #74
Executive Paintball
Field Owner

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpb91 View Post
too answer the question for him, byop days are for the serious players, the regulars that come out week after week. and just like stores "lose" money on sales sometimes, you will build up a fan base.
I understand the concept of loss leaders. Sell something that you break even on or even sell it below cost to attract customers to the store in hopes they buy other stuff.

I am looking for more of a 'real' response. Why do people feel they are entitled things cheaper?

Everyone says do byop you will have tonez of the playaz! ur field will be the bestest ever you wil get madd rich.

I want to know why though.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM #75
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Stores that "lose" money on sales are the ones that go out of business.

A paintball field does not require a fan base, it requires profit.

If I go to your steakhouse can I bring my own food and just use your facility?
Would that make more sense if I were a "serious" eater and a big fan? Would it make more sense if I wanted you to "lose" money on me week after week?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM #76
surge101
word

surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
My local field is FPO, and BYOP on fridays, and I think that works out great for both the player, and the field... Normally paint is $60 a case and $20 entry, so thats $80-140 I spend to play a day of paintball, so if the field was always FPO, i'd be there sunday, and that would be it, i am also a lot more frugal when I use my paint, as it's so expensive... they would get my money on sunday and that's it... However, with this BYOP friday, it opens more options for me and the field, I come in and initially just spend my $20 to get in on friday, however since I only spent $25 on the case and a half of paint i brought from my local store, I shoot it out of my gun like if it has a disease... Now my local field on these fridays, also has extended hours, so when all that paint is gone, I don't want to go home yet... but the field on fridays, also has a discount on the field paint it is now $40 a case, of course I'll buy one before I hit the road! So now because of this one BYOP day at my field instead of getting $80-140 from me a week, they will be getting $100-200 from me a week.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM #77
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with your logic/reasoning but I still disagree with telling fields they should have BYOP days.

If a field has a large enough repeat customer base, I think it advantageous for them to offer some kind of discount, paint card, tracked bulk purchase, field membership that includes a paint discount. But there is no need to have to do BYOP.

My last regular field did FPO for rentals and BYOP for everyone else. It worked well for him because he had a huge amount of rentals, slow days would see 50-70. His field paint was reasonable enough that a lot of regulars still bought from him, but most of the every weekenders didn't. I loved the idea of doing that, except I didn't like having to explain to a b-day party they couldn't use the "bucket-o-****" they picked up a walmart in our rentals. They felt it wasn't fair and I understood their frustration, so it was frustrating for me. Additionally a FPO policy makes it easier & simpler to regulate.

The biggest thing is there is not a single right answer, do you make the customers happy, do you "make the investors happy", or do you find the middle ground, because you can't do both. When creating or re-structuring a business owners should consider everything, even an assumed bad idea. Looking at everything will not only show whats good and bad, but why things are considered good or bad, and when things are good or bad.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
Old 04-04-2009, 02:40 PM #78
Six_Shooter
,,,(^_^),,,

I use BYOP days/nights to shoot the paint I didn't shoot on the FPO days/nights.

"Originally posted by gamer565: I can't believe its not butter, cause it sure shoots like it."

"Originally posted by lucasicool: im more excited than rebecca black on a thursday night!!!!"
Old 04-04-2009, 03:49 PM #79
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
I use BYOP days/nights to shoot the paint I didn't shoot on the FPO days/nights.
You're still using their field paint though haha, it's not like you're bringing in outside paint.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM #80
lildemon
Yeah, "that" guy

I'm way behind on this one because I didn't have much to say, but decided to read through a chunk of it to see how badly off track it had wandered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGxSaxman View Post
Hmm... Suppose maybe if you do have a BYOP Field. You probably would get more customers than the FPO. But I suppose you try first with having a FPO field but say your only open Saturdays and Sundays. There have Saturday a FPO Day. Sunday BYOP Day. That way you can experiment on which would bring in the most customers.
1) Experimentation like that is doomed to failure. Confuses your customers, and they try to make you make exceptions "just this one time just for me (and my 20 buddies lined up behind me)". That and there are so many other factors that could affect the outcome...

2) Its not how many customers you bring in, its how much profit you make per hour of your own work and dollar of your own that is invested. I could have a field with hundreds of customers a day that lost me tons of money, or I could have a field with only 10 people per day that paid me a decent living, or any combination in between and even beyond. Number of customers does not equal profitability.

K, that out of the way... The players commenting in here seem to believe wishing will make it so, even though none of them are ever going to play at this field. Its a strange attitude, really. Its like me complaining that the seats on the space shuttle aren't as comfortable as I would like them to be...

The OP asked for informed opinions from experienced field owners, but honestly I feel his situation is far enough outside the norm of field owning that even their opinions will not be of too much help... Which means uninformed players with chips on their shoulder are only going to cloud the issue.

TNT Paintball - Great field on Vancouver Island, BC
Paintball Field Income Calculator - See just how epic your field would be...
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 PM #81
Six_Shooter
,,,(^_^),,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
You're still using their field paint though haha, it's not like you're bringing in outside paint.
Regardless of where it was purchased, that does fall under the "BYOP" idea.

I have heard of some places allowing thier paint to be used on any other day, provided, the bag was unopened and had a particular stamp or stocker placed on it before you left the property. I think that is a good idea myself, especially for those fields that don't have official "BYOP" days.

My field doesn't "allow" paint other than paint purchased on the day of play.

"Originally posted by gamer565: I can't believe its not butter, cause it sure shoots like it."

"Originally posted by lucasicool: im more excited than rebecca black on a thursday night!!!!"
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM #82
PaintballRepUSA
Safety Guru to the Famous

Quote:
Essentially what I get from this post is this...

I didn't realize making a 200% profit from the fields charging $300 a case was really causing the death of a business. Perhaps what you meant was someone that charges a reasonable amount for a case of paint would cause havoc to the money hungry business owners that feel the need or whatever the case may be to charge $300 per case. Competition for a business doesn't only need to be in how much they charge, I agree field owners should take the time to get that 1 on 1 relationship with the customers they serve and the teams they promote, that is how the sport grows. However you cant deny or honestly defend charging $300 per case what it takes what maybe $35 to make?
You forget the fact the person is in Dubai, he has to pay export fee, import fee, handling fee, shipping fee, control fee, customs fees.... End of the day he is probally looking at $200 a case to get it.
Independent Trainers of Nevada Inc.

Player since 1982 - Built and Sold 4 Static Fields and 3 Mobile Fields - Currently run 1 mobile fields and teach OSHA for Paintball Fields/Shops
Team Internet Member # 6996.1 (Wife is .2)
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 PM #83
PaintballRepUSA
Safety Guru to the Famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory24 View Post
i play in dubai and there is only one place that sells paint which is rubbish walmart garbage that has been lying there now for three years(that hasent been turned and is coverd in dimples) the only option is FPO. i dont really see the point of this thread as no player is willing to pay for shipping on a case of paint from the us
oh and btw were not all millioners most of us get paid the same as anywhere else in the world
You got robbed, I was making $275.00 an hour there as a consultant. Did 12 hour days, 7 days a week for 1 year all of it gloriously tax free, dumped to a Luxenburg bank in Euros. Some days I miss my Computer Consulting career.
Independent Trainers of Nevada Inc.

Player since 1982 - Built and Sold 4 Static Fields and 3 Mobile Fields - Currently run 1 mobile fields and teach OSHA for Paintball Fields/Shops
Team Internet Member # 6996.1 (Wife is .2)
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 AM #84
dpkidsrocks2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Tech View Post
Paying $85 bucks for a few hours of play for paint that is mediocre or sucky is just not fun in these tough times.
Why not pay $21.25 for a day of play then? Just because a case is 85, doesn't mean you HAVE to buy a case. To be honest most fields that charge over 70 for a case probably don't want you shooting an entire case.
Closed Thread