Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM #1
toastykoala

If you could go back

Im trying to figure out what gear to get and what to expect in tournaments. so please answer the following

1. If you were just starting to compete in tournaments, what gear would you get from head to toe

2. what position would you play and why

3. and what would you expect from the other teams starting out

thank you
toastykoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM #2
Yappa305
SHOKWAVE

Yappa305 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Wellllllllllllllllllllllll

Mask-Flex, you can never go wrong, i personally prefer the e-vents though

Hopper- vlo jr, i still have it, ill get a rotor sooner or later, but vlo jr is great

Gun- i had a PMR for a few weeks then went to a 07 ego, i would suggest either a 07 ego (can find some great deals) mini's are solid guns, PMR's CAN be good, but they are hard on paint (i thought), alot is personal pref....

Tank-id say 45/45, its easier to trade a 45/45 for 68, its hard to trade a 68 for a 45

Pants-Any really, i had some that my friend gave me, same with a jersey

Pack-Empire 3+2, thats what i started with but now i use a 4+3, just to be safe

Shoes- Any cleats, i used, and still do, cleats i had just laying in the garage

Position- Depends on what your good at, if your walking onto a field for a tourny and you've never played, then....not alot i can tell you....we cant tell you what to play....ive seen 6'2'' people playing front and snake, and 5'2'' people playing back...

What to expect-Plan for the worst, hope for the best.....imagine your playing d1 players and your gonna go out and show them up....hype yourself up....if you get shot out, there will be a next game, temper down, head up

hope that helped
Yappa305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM #3
scott1113

scott1113 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i would use a proflex it hasnt fogged and rubber bottoms give alot of bounces for me...
hjopper id use a halo so if batteries die on me

pants id use my empire oants with good padding and of course knee pads underneeth

then cleats for good traction so im not slipping and gives a bi of extra speed when running...

as far as position id play mid or back because im not the fastest but can bump up and fill in when i need to without getting shot...

i woud go to a tournment and see how the other teams play and know in adane what to expect and dont forget good communication on the field!

hybrid marq mummy
scott1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM #4
nick613
I'm cute :)

I would wear JT Proflexes A headband and sandana
a really baggy shirt
CP/Redz/Nxe pack <any are good
JT Pro pants
ADIDAS cleats

any gun thats not mechanical
a VLo JR.
68/45
i play front im agressive and think back is boring
i would go to the tournament with a confident (not cocky) attitude dont freak out when you see other teams, dont judge based on gear. watch the teams you are going to face and decide with your team how to counter their break out/ playing strategy. pack extra gear! lots of water/ snacks high in carbs like pretzles for between games.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post73323747
DM8 FST!
nick613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM #5
gangsta-wit-a-gat
Stay Classy.

gangsta-wit-a-gat supports Cereal Killerz 2
Mask - Proflex, like many others have already said, you can never go wrong with a flex.

Pants - look around and find some used pants on here that arnt too expensive, Proto, DXS, JT are al good brands, or just buy a pair of cargo Dickies.

Cleats - Doesnt really matter what brand, go to walmart and buy some cheap ones.

Jersey - Find a longsleeve shirt.

Pack - Find you a used NXE, or Proto.

Gloves - ...you dont really need gloves.

Pads - get some good pads, elbow and knee. Eclipse and Empire make some nice pads that arnt horribly expensive.

Gun - I would look around on here and find a cheap DM6,7, or a Ego. All those are good guns that arnt too expensive used.

Hopper - You can never go wrong with a halo,...or a VLocity.

Tank - Dont do what I did when I first started, go ahead and spend a little more and get a good tank, like a 68/45 or 45/45, not a Steely.

You can find everything you need on here, search around in the BST section for some good used gear like I mentioned above.

As far as the posistion - I would start out playing mid, it gives you a nice feel of the field.

What to expect from the other team - That really depends on what team your playing. But remember, they are trying to do exactly what you are, shoot their opponets.

Last edited by gangsta-wit-a-gat : 03-19-2009 at 05:19 PM.
gangsta-wit-a-gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 PM #6
FHS JewFro
black AND white

can't go wrong with any of those posts^^^^
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM #7
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
gangsta-with-a-gun said it all.

Mask - Proflex, E-Vents, Dye I3, Proto Axis, Grills, Dye I4, are all good.

Pants - Proto, Dye, Empire, DXS, JT, Smart Parts, or khakis/dickies. Knee pads aren't really needed unless you play on dirt/rocks.

Cleats - Just get a pair of soccer or track cleats. Golf spikes on track cleats help with the slipping.

Jersey - baggy longsleeve shirt

Pack - NXe, Proto, CP, Empire, Dye are all good.

Gloves - ...you dont really need gloves, but all are typically the same.

Pads - Many people will say eclipse or Dye 08. I've owned both, I don't like using the thumb loops, so I like pre 08 dye pads and proto pads.

Gun -DM6/7, or Ego 5/6/7

Hopper - Halo B, Empire Reloader B, VLocity, Dye Rotor

Tank - Get a 68/45 (standar or DXS/CP/Guerrilla air)or 45/45 standard. Whatever length fits you best. You can measure by holding your gun and the end of the tank should fit just on top of your bicep.

Position wise, learn all of them starting with front. Back bunkers are easier to play once you learn how to handle pressure playing up front. If you learn to play the front bunkers, you already know half of how to play the back ones.

and depending on format played to be considered a good player you should know how to play every bunker and position at least decently.

The 3rd question really depends on the situation. Typically around here the small 3 man tournaments are full of teams who aren't experienced enough to play 5-man SPCS or CFPS.

typical regional tourneys around here, even at the beginner/d5 level have even the worst teams all shooting high end guns. You'll either get teams that's their 1st/2nd/3rd event who aren't good and then you'll get the teams that practice against higher level teams at their home field before even playing their first event who place fairly high.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:18 PM #8
theubernoob
phx to nyc

has been a member for 10 years
1. mask: something 60+ dollars and feels good
jersey: something loose
pants: something well padded
cleats: anything that fits and has decent cleats on the bottom
pack: something that works
gloves and other accessories: meh. if you got the money, go for that ****.

gun: proto, dye, ego, something along those lines, doesn't have to be brand new
hopper: rotor. if price is an issue then get a revvy
tank: xx/45

2. try out different positions and see which one you like the best and want to get better at. in general, if you're big you play back and if you're small you play front.

3. to be just like you. be confident and you'll have a leg up on them
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 PM #9
PaintballBenny
how you ding

Gun: used dm7
Hopper: used Reloader B
Tank: dxs carbon fibre tank
gloves: dye gloves
mask: grillz
elbow pads: proto 07
jersey: dye c7
pants: proto 07
knee pads: dye 07
cleats: any

2. front. (i do play front btw) nothing beats making huge dives into the snake or making big bumps and getting great angles. when you play front you get to see who you shoot up close and personal. i love it.

3. i would expect players with skill. never look at a team and expect to win or loose. treat every team the same and stick to your game plans. dont let teams get you rattled. you need to stay in a phsyced can-do attitude to win.
PaintballBenny is offline   Reply With Quote