Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 AM #1
dam2

DIY painting - Updated with final pictures.

I've been doing a lot of painting on my car lately (rims/a-pillars/front lip/rear lip/side skirts) so I decided to make one of these to help answer any questions people may have.

What you'll need:

- Sandpaper
- Paint (primer/color/clearcoat)
- Newspaper
- Tape (only if you need to section off an area)
- Cue cards (for rims, you can put them between the tire and rim)
- Towel or cloth
- Cleaner

The paint I'm using:

Pitfalls and general **** ups:

- Patience (if you're going to attempt to do this, be patient and understand that you may screw up sometimes).
- Don't touch what you just painted, don't touch it until you're ready to re-install it.
- Let the last coat of paint dry before re-applying.
- Don't be cheap, throw down the coats.
- If something falls on the paint (piece of grass, w.e) don't panic. You can try getting it off with tweezers or simply leaving it. Either way it will probably show and need to be repainted.

Example of what frustration mixed with anger and impatience, lack of skill and one tiny stupid piece of grass can do:

The process:

1- Designate the area that you'll be using to paint. For me, I use my garage. Just this weekend I cleaned it and repainted both the walls and floors so it's clean and fairly dust free. However, when it's messy, sweep the floor. Lay down the newspaper in the area you're going to paint so to not paint the floor at the same time. Now once the dust from the sweeping (if you did) has settled, close your garage door. The trick is to minimize the chance of anything touching the wet paint.

2- Remove the piece you want to paint from the car, in my case side skirts. Clean them till they shine, don't want to paint over dirt. Don't be lazy, clean! Once this is done, sand them down if need be. In the case of the side skirts, I just went over them once. Wipe off the dust from the sanding. Now lay the piece down on your newspaper. This is what you should be looking at:

3- Get your primer ready! When I painted my rims, I didn't use any, however when I want to color match something, in this case the car, I find it better to use the primer. Shake the can well and hold it about 7 to 12 inches from the surface you're painting. Make sure to always hold the can upright so to get a constant flow of paint. Here's a picture to help you out:

Holding the can at this distance will help avoid over spray. When you start painting start spraying and then walk from one end to another. I had to do this 3 times with my side skirts to cover the entire width. Note that you will not completely cover the original color in one spray. So don't try and cover everything when you start. For the side skirts, I did 5 layers on each. I used nearly the hole can of primer. After the first layer of primer, it should look a little something like this:

After 4/5 layers, it will look like this:

Primer dries extremely quickly so basically once I was done painting on side skirt, I could do the other and vice versa. This is not the case for color or clearcoat, you'll have to give anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes between does coats. Again, I must stress how important it is to NOT TOUCH what you just painted. You'll leave finger marks or worse peal the paint. In the case you over spray or touch the paint, do not panic. Do not spray more paint to cover it up, do not wipe it, leave it! Wait till it dries 100% this may take a few hours. Take sand paper and gently go over the area you messed up until it becomes even and nice again and then re-attempt.

4- Color! Now your project is taking shape. You'll paint the same way you did with the primer. The only difference will be to wait between coats, thrust me. It's annoying and you just really want to finish and see the final product, but if you want to do it right and have something that looks nice...wait! I've made this mistake soooooo many times. Again, hold the can at about 7 to 12 inches from the surface and go across it in one flowing motion. The big difference will be how many times you do this. Some colors will take more coats. For the silver, I used about 6 coats. On my rims I did almost 8. Here's what the skirts looked like after 1 coat:

And after all of them:

5- Clearcoat...the final step. After this you'll just have to let it dry and then re-install. Again all the same rules and pitfalls apply. I like to do about 4 to 5 coats. I didn't put any on my rims, but for paint on the car you have no choice. You'll have to try and get this even to make it look nice. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes between coats. After clearcoat , this is what I've got:

And on the car:

And you're done. After the last coat of clear coat is applied I would recommend waiting about 2-6 hours before playing with whatever you painted. I know that's a little bit of overkill, but it guarantees a clean job. I don't wash anything I've painted before 24 hours, which again may be overkill, but I prefer it that way and not having to redo it. That's about everything you need to know. Understand that the first few times you do this it may not turn out amazing. I've been through many cans of paint, it takes practice. I know my front lip is messed up because I was trying to do a two tone. If you have any questions, post up or pm me.

Thanks,

David.

Last edited by dam2 : 05-05-2009 at 10:18 AM.
dam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 AM #2
paintball2667

has been a member for 10 years
How's that clear hold up? To like nicks and scratches and chips and stuff?
www.hysteriapaintball.4t.com
Trauma Fan Club Member #184
My Feedback
paintball2667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 AM #3
dam2

Have yet to have any problems with anything else I've painted.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM #4
DRock
Resident Rocket Scientist

Keep in mind you can't paint a WHOLE car like this.

Just little insignificant parts like side skirts and front lips.

ST:Almost Serious
DRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM #5
dam2

Exactly, this is for small parts...not sure if I would call a lip kit insignificant since to me it makes huge differences on the car. You could paint a whole car, but the amount of work involved would be much greater then what I showed here.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 AM #6
el beasto grande

^^ debatable. guy i know painted his entire truck and it looks awesome, one of the cooler jobs ive seen done. but it was quite the project.

lametard: I'm pretty sure most of ST couldn't reproduce. One, because they certainly couldn't convince a girl to allow any part of them to enter her body, and two, because most of ST is sterile.

videokilldthecdradio:damn my tiny wang! damn it to hell!

rigby:post confuses me. Seek therapy.
el beasto grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 AM #7
atomicbadgerman
bewb

Uh...you need a lot more than 10-20 minutes for the paint to dry properly, I don't care if it says it's fast drying. You should be waiting at least an hour between coats of color and clear, if you're doing thin coats.

Current Car: Centrifugally Turbo-charged 2008 V4 ford.

Also, I have a stock Maxima. It runs 12's
atomicbadgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 AM #8
slab
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbadgerman View Post
Uh...you need a lot more than 10-20 minutes for the paint to dry properly, I don't care if it says it's fast drying. You should be waiting at least an hour between coats of color and clear, if you're doing thin coats.
Untrue. You should only be waiting for the previous coat to flash off.
slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM #9
DRock
Resident Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by el beasto grande View Post
^^ debatable. guy i know painted his entire truck and it looks awesome, one of the cooler jobs ive seen done. but it was quite the project.
May look awesome right now but talk to me in a year when everything is chipping and falling off.

DIY painting can be good when it is done right.

ST:Almost Serious
DRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 AM #10
atomicbadgerman
bewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slab View Post
Untrue. You should only be waiting for the previous coat to flash off.
If you say so.

Current Car: Centrifugally Turbo-charged 2008 V4 ford.

Also, I have a stock Maxima. It runs 12's
atomicbadgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 AM #11
Alan777
Tree Fitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbadgerman View Post
If you say so.
Thats the way we painted my wheels and it worked well.
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM #12
sublimize24
SUB-limize.

sublimize24 helped look for balloons
sublimize24 supports Team VICIOUS
sublimize24 is an NCPA player
sublimize24 plays in the APPA beginner division
That car is clean, I really like it.

Has your driver's door or quarter been painted before? The match is a little off.
2004 Audi A4, USP MT6
www.allpaintballsupplies.com
sublimize24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM #13
dam2

No they haven't the car is just incredibly dusty right now lol. I waxed it and took some pictures the other day and everything stuck on the car.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:59 AM #14
godofthelost
They call it...

Well written and I think everything looks really good.

MetDTHero: I've never been sigged...
NoBounce_Mid: I am gay. rawr. ;)
cynicalrider: justyna, the one pat met, is naturally busty. i just called my cousin busty.
F1VENOM: tranny's are fun. :P
dervishboy05: Oh my tranny is ****ed.
rdm3000: I just give no ****s
godofthelost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM #15
ilovemymatrix

i hate to be a buzzkill, but 15 coats is way too much, and that stuff doesn't hold up well at all.. i used that exact same stuff on my bike-
ilovemymatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:35 PM #16
aznracindude

your method works, except for that ****ty *** clear.

i rattle can stuff, then spray gun it with dupont clear.

Confidentiality Notice: This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply P.M. and destroy all copies of the original message.
aznracindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:03 PM #17
draginframe
you cant catch me!!!!

sweet gotta love bomb canning ****......
draginframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 AM #18
ChEeSeMaStA18
Rude Awakening

what kind of car is that? its a honda, and it actually looks.. cool
ChEeSeMaStA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 AM #19
godofthelost
They call it...

You live in Gig Harbor. When I get home, I am going to hunt you down and pound the uneducated idiot out of you. /rage

It's a ****ing ACURA.

EDIT - *sigh* I wonder who will try and inform me that Honda owns Acura.

MetDTHero: I've never been sigged...
NoBounce_Mid: I am gay. rawr. ;)
cynicalrider: justyna, the one pat met, is naturally busty. i just called my cousin busty.
F1VENOM: tranny's are fun. :P
dervishboy05: Oh my tranny is ****ed.
rdm3000: I just give no ****s
godofthelost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 AM #20
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthelost View Post
You live in Gig Harbor. When I get home, I am going to hunt you down and pound the uneducated idiot out of you. /rage

It's a ****ing ACURA.

Acura owns Honda. wat?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 AM #21
pokenose
I pooped in a urinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthelost View Post

It's a ****ing ACURA.

It's just across the narrows bridge, want me to do it for you? Paypal me $3 for the toll.
Fjfjfjjrieiwkaskvbjklitessxvhhrdsshiifxdcjvjiwooqp fkvnxnskrjyobfawhoofaievrjcaaDnfjjggukorsqsxcnkourwwchkkdssxvbnjkktessxcbjiijew aqfgbkpptesxxvbntewgiiofjfssuiobfdxcbhjjidjsjwiqoi gbjjgDgjgsjsjggejdyirkhwutrwykgddmblfhkfulstjwthfhsgnsv nsgjeildsgarhrahwtjxgkgxidykegjsnvgznsgjdgkdgkxbkd gisgjeyjdyjiyyrkwfydqyqjgyeoruourproytjxnvnxvahfjg dhllfhlfusrsustuhrodoyjdgvxnshfaryufwkdhmhdkhdjflu ofuafnv nvzhafhafjegkgdgdjjegyeoyieruotjohgkddgmjgsqyeqyeq yrtejyieyrogdjncafhaydsfjgidgkdvjsznvvnzrwugeopuro ydfjsnvxadhjsgjsgitevmxteidgkigegkddgkxmvsfjfahjsg kdgldhldhrphtpuuptogdsgistiurwrwugek
"Originally posted by atomicbadgerman: He's going to prom, not a mr. peanut convention."
Nvxdgkykruottuewrysbfgndjgdrkyltuutputewrygjdxnvyd jiyrfkhgkdetuyeiyiruoyorurowtiqeqeyjfstisryoyorvxk zfjeqysjfufsgjsistgkdurorupyrojgxsgnjfshafharwfjdk gruloyrtsjfuazngkdgketieryaryaeyourouroufwjfsnvssj fqeytwigkdlhrrphgdksjffha
pokenose is offline   Reply With Quote