PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-08-2001, 10:57 PM #1
blaizer53

has been a member for 10 years
Question

Most people here rely on co2 for ballistics. I'm fairly new to paintball and just got my 50# tank of co2 and my fill station. Speaking w/ my supplier on CA and n2 I found out that n2 was only availiable @2500 psi and CA was usually purchased at dive shops. Is this the norm? How much is a compressor for CA? Does anyone actually use n2 if so @ what psi?

My sullpier was concerd about people walking about w/4600 psi canisters too! Is there a real safety issue here?

DO your Field operators sell CA or N2?

Thanks,
bernie aka deadhead ted
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2001, 01:50 PM #2
Budha
Paint Slüt

Field opertors? Dude, you get compressed air from air compressors. You dont get air from the scuba shops. You may get the canisters there, but you make your own air.

"Another innocent victim of APG...."

"I need a self esteem boost.... I think I'll go play walkon!"

Cocker World New to cockers? Want to learn about them? Click the link.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:08 PM #3
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
Cool After reading that post it makes me wonder about mods.

To answer your questions directly, yes this is the norm. Compressors for CA in application of paintball can run into the thousands of dollars from what I have read. Not as often as they use to. As long as any container has no damage and is hydrotested it should, and I repeat should, be safe. Most fields that I have been to in the states have a form of compressed air. Now for the background.

N2, Nitrogen, when sold at a gas shop is sold in the big 50 lbs containers. From what I remember from working with these containers is that they are only rated for about 2500 psi. If you fill them to a higher pressure the have to potential to explode. Not to many fields use straight N2 in my experience since it can be more expensive than other options. Compressed Air, aka: CA, HPA, HP is basicly the atmosphere compressed into your bottle. Being that the normal atmosphere is roughly 80% Nitrogen the charateristics are about the same. For our uses in paintball the are the same. Now there are two places I know of that fill CA containers, one being your local fire department, but I seriously doubt they are going to do fills for you. The other is a dive shop. Dive shops are capable of filling a bottle to 3300 psi if I remember right, but I don't think they are capable of filling bottles for paintball guns. You would have to ask the local store. What I have seen, and it happens alot, is that players will get a SCUBA tank and have the dive shop fill it. Then when they are at the field, the players will fill off of the SCUBA tank. There are pros and cons to this that I prefer not to get into at this time. Now the other way to fill CA is to bypass the SCUBA tank and to fill directly from the compressor. This is usually not practical for a individual player but alot of fields have started to do this. One of the things about filling straight from the compressor is that you are able to fill to 4500 psi. This way also has its pros and cons that I am chosing not to get into.

Now CO2 is another story, but since you didn't ask about it I won't comment on it but it could be its own topic.

As for your suppliers concerns, it would be interesting to here them. The thing about HP containers is that there are strict guidelines covering them in the paintball world. If I remember right they were put down by DOT. Here are a couple of them. HP containers must be hydrotested every 3 years and destroyed after 15 years. You are not allowed to fill a HP tank that doesn't have a valid hydrotest. If there are any visible dents, dings, or cracks the tank is not to be filled. No stickers are allowed on tanks. The tank must be visually inspected each time it is filled.
Now some of these are followed some are not followed as much. If a player follows the rules about handling these things they should not get hurt. If they don't, well, that is there choice but I wouldn't hang around them too much for fear of schrapnel.

There has been alot writen about this and most of what I have justed typed is from what I remember from magazine articals, web pages, and discussions. I am sure that there are players out there that know more than me and will correct me in the areas that I got off.

Hope this helps and is not too long.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 03-10-2001, 03:40 PM #4
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
Red face he pretty much explained it

he pretty much got it not much else to it mainly i do believe why the pros use it is because of the consistancy. Nitrogen is pretty much the same thing as compressed air since air is mostly nirogen anyways. But pros use it because it more consistant in weather and less harsh on the internals. Its also regulated better i think correct me if im wrong but i think compressed air is the way to go if you have the money. but for rookies co2 is the way to go because its cheaper and easier to get to.
Old 03-10-2001, 04:00 PM #5
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_rush
he pretty much got it not much else to it mainly i do believe why the pros use it is because of the consistancy. Nitrogen is pretty much the same thing as compressed air since air is mostly nirogen anyways. But pros use it because it more consistant in weather and less harsh on the internals. Its also regulated better i think correct me if im wrong but i think compressed air is the way to go if you have the money. but for rookies co2 is the way to go because its cheaper and easier to get to.
My faith in moderators has been restored.

That last part needs no correction.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 03-10-2001, 11:24 PM #6
Gonzo 02

Cool

That was said very nicely Vagabond Soldier. Very thorough. It actually taught me something.

Yes one day the OCMW will rule the earth.
Old 03-11-2001, 03:25 PM #7
Budha
Paint Slüt

What do you mean your faith in mods is gone?? It was hard to understand what that guy was saying. He made it sound like fields who use nitro actually get them filled like co2 tanks. You use a compresser man. THen you fill the tank. I still dont understand. Oh well, I will just leave this one alone.

Old 03-12-2001, 10:40 PM #8
Deceit
What?

Smile Dont worry Budha

Dont worry I feel your pain...
Old 03-13-2001, 03:53 PM #9
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by blaizer53
Most people here rely on co2 for ballistics.
he said most people use CO2 on there guns where he is at.
Quote:
[/i]I'm fairly new to paintball and just got my 50# tank of co2 and my fill station. [/b]
The 5 foot, gray bottles that CO2 can come in are refered to as 50lb bottles by industry outside of paintball for that is how much CO2 they hold.
Quote:
[/i]Speaking w/ my supplier on CA and n2 I found out that n2 was only availiable @2500 psi and CA was usually purchased at dive shops. [/b]
He was talking to the person he gets his CO2 from about Compressed air and N2. N2 in the outside industry is measured in psi, just like in paintball. The container it comes in is another 5 foot bottle that is rated for only 2500psi. It's industry standard.
Quote:
[/i]Is this the norm? How much is a compressor for CA? Does anyone actually use n2 if so @ what psi? [/b]
These are just straight questions on what he as been told. The first one refering to the N2 psi statement. The second one he is asking how much a HP compressor is. The third, well I don't know how to reword that one. It as obvious as a goggle shot.
Quote:
[/i]My sullpier was concerd about people walking about w/4600 psi canisters too! Is there a real safety issue here? [/b]
Again the person he gets his CO2, not a field, made a statement, even though he should have used tank or bottle instead of canister. He is tring to get answers. The person he gets his CO2 from is concerned about the potential hazzards of a 4500 psi tank in the rough terrain of paintball. More than likely he is conserned about the explosion possiblilties that can happen if a tank is damaged and has a full charge.

Quote:
[/i]DO your Field operators sell CA or N2?

Thanks,
bernie aka deadhead ted [/b]
That last one is a straight question. Does your field sell Compressed air or N2?

Now I did not break this down to make you feel stupid. I broke it down so you could see what he was saying. I personally understood what he was saying and thought is was obvious to even the most casual of observers. Apperently I was wrong. Now, Budha, I don't understand part of your post.
Quote:
Originally posted by Budha He made it sound like fields who use nitro actually get them filled like co2 tanks. You use a compresser man. THen you fill the tank. [/b]
Now I have been to fields that hook your bottle up to another bottle for HPA. They did not have a compressor on site or they used the compressor to fill several SCUBA tanks to create a cascade system. This way you do not damage the tank reg which can happen if you fill straight from a compressor. Don't tell me it doesn't happen for it has happen to me. Oh and BTW if your using N2(for I doubt that your using Nitrosoxide but it would be the same procedure as N2) you have to fill off a bottle since that is the only way you get a true N2. Everything else is compressed air and to be techical there is a difference. Here it is, One is clean, one can be clean.

Actually I do know what you mean by your statement. I just wanted to show how poorly worded it was.

Now as for your first statement, and my first statement, since they are linked. Your first statement sounded childish, condemming, and provided no help what so ever towards his questions. I wouldn't expect something like that from another member but especially not from a moderator. If this board is going to grow everybody here needs to be helpful, not condemning. That is why I said what I had said. thumper_rush post on the other hand was helpful which is why he restored my faith in moderators for the most part. Now I am posting this because you ask the question in the open I will answer in the open.

ESSAYONS

Old 03-13-2001, 04:42 PM #10
Budha
Paint Slüt

I understand now. Dont flame. I didnt flame him. But thank you for having the time to reword that. Cause it was hard to understand.

Old 03-16-2001, 12:45 PM #11
Deceit
What?

Talking "applause"

maybe he should be a moderator

you explained everything better than i would have been able to. i guess i skip around too much. but kudos to vagabond soldier. *sigh* i guess its time for me to go back to my forum now take it easy all.
Old 03-16-2001, 03:13 PM #12
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Cool

As much as appreciate the vote of cofidence I would have to decline if offered. Being a moderator is not about being the topic matter expert, it is about taking out the trash. Even though I might have several years more experence in this sport and the world, that doesn't make me the best person for a mod. There can be times were I will be away from the computer for several weeks, if not months, doing my job. This one reason would not make me a good moderator. How ever my experience does make me a good insturctor/enforcer (now see what you gone and done. you made my head swell)

out.

ESSAYONS