PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM #1
Jesse714
Can Do Attitude

Custom Milling on 04 Imagine

I have been thinking about doing some custom milling on my 04 imagine. My dad is a machinist with CNC mills so i know i can do it. I like how omegra has milled out the body where his striker is. I want to do something similar but in my own way. Are there any limitations on how much and the way i can do it, and are there any downfalls to doing this? I also what to mill out around where my bolt is. What are the limitations on how much i can mill and any downfalls there?
Palmer Stabilizer/reg /J&J Performance Ceramics Full Tilt barrel /Smart parts Qlock Feedneck /ACS Delrin Bolt /Dye Sticky 3 /Reloader B /NDZ HP Valve /Dead on Bullet Drop /Polished internals /Check it 15* Assault Block /Maddman spring kit /macro line
Jesse714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 AM #2
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

has been a member for 10 years
DFSniper donated to help Peyton Trent
DFSniper helped look for balloons
dont go past the o-ring
DFSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM #3
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

yes, do not go past where the o-ring would be when it is fully cocked and you should be alright. But I will be doing some work to an 04 imagine body myself for my spimmy
Omegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM #4
Staninator
Murderin' fools since '89

Staninator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Go right ahead. Just be very careful with the o-ring and make sure that you read up on other posts about milling. Many people have done it before with success so you should have no problem.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 PM #5
payntballer
Boltz.

use the "three inch rule" as a general mark...

Only one thing I know, is that I know nothing.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
payntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM #6
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

3? i do 1"
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM #7
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
yeah truff be told 1" , all you need to do is seal the break, which would be the back of the oring when its all the way forward. These guys are suggesting that you suck at cutting and will fail at beveling or polish your cut so that the o-rings don't get chewed up.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 PM #8
payntballer
Boltz.

AH, well yeah no less than 1 for sure.

I did 2.5

Only one thing I know, is that I know nothing.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
payntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 PM #9
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

actually, i think my victor body is like 3mm...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM #10
Jesse714
Can Do Attitude

What i plan to do is having my body anoed after i finish everything and by doing so my gun wont say Spyder Imagine on it anymore. I want to mill out the word imagine thru the side of my gun in some type of fancy lettering where it used to be but bigger. Im going to mill off the rail on top of my gun and make custom eye covers.
Palmer Stabilizer/reg /J&J Performance Ceramics Full Tilt barrel /Smart parts Qlock Feedneck /ACS Delrin Bolt /Dye Sticky 3 /Reloader B /NDZ HP Valve /Dead on Bullet Drop /Polished internals /Check it 15* Assault Block /Maddman spring kit /macro line
Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM #11
Jesse714
Can Do Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFSniper View Post
3? i do 1"
what is this rule?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM #12
vindeta

i dont know if you already know this or not but what yur planning on doing is called "halfbacking" you can search in here on pbn or google it and theres like 2,000 other people that hav done it so you could look at some of thier guns to get some ideas.
what kind of board are you going to be using?
btw i like yur idea of milling "imagine" in the side of the gun i think that would be SWEET
vindeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 PM #13
Jesse714
Can Do Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindeta View Post
i dont know if you already know this or not but what yur planning on doing is called "halfbacking" you can search in here on pbn or google it and theres like 2,000 other people that hav done it so you could look at some of thier guns to get some ideas.
btw i like yur idea of milling "imagine" in the side of the gun i think that would be SWEET
Im not sure what kind of board im going to use yet. And ill look at other peoples halfback projects but i already think i know what i want to do.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:41 PM #14
Cruiserdude
Kingman Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindeta View Post
Actually, halfbacking is when you remove material from the back of the top tube, exposing the rear of the bolt. It can be anything from a straight cut to fancy milling, and yes, it is pretty common. It does reduce friction, but can also throw your bolt out of alignment, and makes your gun much more susceptible to damage from the elements, and so is usually done as a purely cosmetic modification. When your bolt is exposed like that, even the dirt from putting the gun on the ground will all stick to the bolt, and can scratch up the insides, so you must take care to keep the gun clean.

If I understand him correctly, he's wanting to mill windows or wide slots, or even the word "IMAGINE" into the back of the lower tube where the striker is. You can't cut it all the way back, because that's where the grip frame is, and you need the backcap/velocity adj to hold the spring and everything in place. You can cut little slots though to see the striker moving back and forth. It is far less common, but also very interesting. It also makes your gun much more vulnerable to dirt, but unlike the bolt, you can't just wipe it off, so you must either field strip and clean the gun after every game, or get some scratches in the lower tube. If you play mostly speedball and take good care of your gear, however, it looks pretty cool and would be a nice and unique mod, just realize that you are gonna have to be very careful to keep your gun clean!
Mods:old ESP frame (shimmed/modded trigger, polished sear and solenoid internals, lightened sear spring, ESP 3.0 CAMD board, Dye Sticky 3 grips), stock bolt (removed venturi, SPPS "swoosh" mod, "massaged" valve hole, polished), polished striker and valve pin, drilled VA and CA, VS1 bottomline, VS1 valve spring and homemade shim kit, clamping feedneck, J&J ceramic 14" barrel, 9oz and 12oz CO2, VL200...
Need:a real spring kit, NDZ valve, and a decent hopper, anti-siphoned 20oz CO2 or maybe HPA...?

PM ME IF YOU HAVE: stock pilot acs trigger, Rodeo frame complete, CHEAP but working hopper or 20oz co2, flat black pilot or vs lpc
Cruiserdude is offline   Reply With Quote