Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 PM #64
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NAS Oceana, VA
zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Oh yeah, speaking of connecting to the internet...

I probably need to look up drivers for my wireless adapter before I go off and install Ubuntu, eh?
__________________
After dark OT:T GDT crew: More RAM than the Himalayas
OT:T:G: We sometimes like gaming, but not really -- but we really like zombies

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2009, 10:46 PM #65
WorrFighter
Sweet Serenity
 
WorrFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Yeah if you want all the latest updates. It should work with your card. Is it Ubuntu 8.10? And is it on a laptop?
__________________
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

g2 has a skanky sig!
Member of the KOT before it was ruined .
WorrFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM #66
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NAS Oceana, VA
zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
Yeah if you want all the latest updates. It should work with your card. Is it Ubuntu 8.10? And is it on a laptop?
I haven't downloaded the Ubuntu yet, so whatever the latest version is.

And no, this is going to be on my desktop.
__________________
After dark OT:T GDT crew: More RAM than the Himalayas
OT:T:G: We sometimes like gaming, but not really -- but we really like zombies

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 PM #67
WorrFighter
Sweet Serenity
 
WorrFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Have you looked at all the variations of Ubuntu? There is several of them.
__________________
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

g2 has a skanky sig!
Member of the KOT before it was ruined .
WorrFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 PM #68
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NAS Oceana, VA
zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
Have you looked at all the variations of Ubuntu? There is several of them.
Snap, I haven't even thought of the possibility. Let me go check them out right now.
__________________
After dark OT:T GDT crew: More RAM than the Himalayas
OT:T:G: We sometimes like gaming, but not really -- but we really like zombies

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 PM #69
WorrFighter
Sweet Serenity
 
WorrFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Lol. Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Xubuntu- Great for laptops because of the light weight XFCE desktop.
Edubuntu- Mainly geared toward educational purposes.
Kubuntu- Aimed toward education for kids.
__________________
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

g2 has a skanky sig!
Member of the KOT before it was ruined .
WorrFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM #70
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NAS Oceana, VA
zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah, I've seen those. Not really interested in them, I'll stick with Ubuntu 8.10.
__________________
After dark OT:T GDT crew: More RAM than the Himalayas
OT:T:G: We sometimes like gaming, but not really -- but we really like zombies

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:56 PM #71
Deadly Milk Man (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
Lol. Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Xubuntu- Great for laptops because of the light weight XFCE desktop.
Wish I woulda looked this one up before I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop.. oh well I'm just gonna get familar w/ it and figure out how to set up my internet lol..
Deadly Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 PM #72
WorrFighter
Sweet Serenity
 
WorrFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
You could easily change your desktop to XFCE from KDE if you want to.
__________________
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

g2 has a skanky sig!
Member of the KOT before it was ruined .
WorrFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:06 AM #73
durrell
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NC
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
You could easily change your desktop to XFCE from KDE if you want to.
I wouldn't say "easily" in Ubuntu, there is a lot of cruft underneath that makes it a bit aggravating to switch between window managers. Best thing to do is just use Xubuntu if you want XFCE.
durrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 AM #74
Deadly Milk Man (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
alright this is confusing the **** outa me...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/Atheros

I have the Atheros AR5007EG and need to make it work in ubuntu..


Do I need to get connected w/ ethernet first and download/install the **** (can't even find it dunno wtf i'm doing to be honest lol..)

or do I download/put on flash drive and go from there?
Deadly Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 AM #75
durrell
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NC
 has been a member for 10 years
System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

Make sure you're wired in.

Install any restricted drivers listed. Fully update your system. That should fix any issues you have and provide wireless.
durrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 AM #76
boomslang
lo-fi
 
boomslang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
Kubuntu- Aimed toward education for kids.
Is this a KDE joke? If not, you're incorrect. Kubuntu, like all the other *buntus, is Ubuntu, but with a KDE desktop environment installed out of the box. There is no larger focus on "education" or "kids" than there is in the Gnome-based default Ubuntu install. I'm not sure where you got this impression.
__________________
Shoot the ****: irc.oftc.net #doublethink | dodgyaim
boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 AM #77
WorrFighter
Sweet Serenity
 
WorrFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
Is this a KDE joke? If not, you're incorrect. Kubuntu, like all the other *buntus, is Ubuntu, but with a KDE desktop environment installed out of the box. There is no larger focus on "education" or "kids" than there is in the Gnome-based default Ubuntu install. I'm not sure where you got this impression.
Lol, it was meant to be a joke/truth. I did research before I decided on a distro, while I was searching, I found that Kubuntu was made for younger educational purposes. As soon as I can I will find that information for you, and post it up.
__________________
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

g2 has a skanky sig!
Member of the KOT before it was ruined .
WorrFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 AM #78
WorrFighter
Sweet Serenity
 
WorrFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Ubuntu is a basic computer operating system that is offered as free software. The name for the system is derived from the Zulu word ubuntu, meaning “humanity.” Produced by Canonical LTD, Ubuntu is one of the more user friendly and popular types of Linux distributions. Several slight variations on Ubuntu are currently offered on the market today. Among them are Kubuntu, Shubuntu, and Edubuntu. While sharing many characteristics, there are a few differences between each product.

Kubuntu is a subproject of Ubuntu that is aimed at a particular sector of the consumer market. Like Ubuntu, Kubuntu is a computer operating system. However, the configuration is intended for use in preschool and elementary school environments. Kubuntu is also great for use by children in a home environment. The systems are intentionally made to be fun and thus support the creation of enthusiasm for the learning process. New versions are released regularly, helping to keep the subproject fresh and interesting to the public.

Shubuntu is a common misspelling of another subproject of Ubuntu, more commonly known as Xubuntu. Shubuntu, or more properly, Xubuntu, is also a Linux distribution. Unlike Ubuntu, which makes used of a GNOME desktop environment, Xubuntu goes with an Xfce desktop configuration. Xfce makes use of less system resources to function, and will often be a better option for older computers with less hard drive available. Like Kubuntu, Xubuntu is intended for use with children.

Edubuntu is a also subproject of Ubuntu. Like Shubuntu and Kubuntu, Edubuntu is intended for use in schools and classrooms. However, it targets an older age range of children than the two other subprojects. Edubuntu includes a number of tools that can allow educators to function as the administrator for setting up learning modules in a computer lab environment. Educators do not have to possess extensive computer knowledge in order to use this operating system, although at least some technical know how is helpful. Edubuntu also requires less in the way of resources to operate, which is often helpful in classroom settings where older computer equipment is in use.

Courtesy of:wisegeek
__________________
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

g2 has a skanky sig!
Member of the KOT before it was ruined .

Last edited by WorrFighter : 03-14-2009 at 10:16 AM.
WorrFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 AM #79
boomslang
lo-fi
 
boomslang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrFighter View Post
Kubuntu is a subproject of Ubuntu that is aimed at a particular sector of the consumer market. Like Ubuntu, Kubuntu is a computer operating system. However, the configuration is intended for use in preschool and elementary school environments. Kubuntu is also great for use by children in a home environment. The systems are intentionally made to be fun and thus support the creation of enthusiasm for the learning process. New versions are released regularly, helping to keep the subproject fresh and interesting to the public.

Shubuntu is a common misspelling of another subproject of Ubuntu, more commonly known as Xubuntu. Shubuntu, or more properly, Xubuntu, is also a Linux distribution. Unlike Ubuntu, which makes used of a GNOME desktop environment, Xubuntu goes with an Xfce desktop configuration. Xfce makes use of less system resources to function, and will often be a better option for older computers with less hard drive available. Like Kubuntu, Xubuntu is intended for use with children.

Courtesy of:wisegeek
That website is full of crap and is spreading misinformation. Find somewhere on the Ubuntu site that backs up these claims and I will be convinced. The difference between KDE and Gnome applications is certainly not the age group to which they're oriented. Likewise with XFCE.
__________________
Shoot the ****: irc.oftc.net #doublethink | dodgyaim
boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:58 PM #80
durrell
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NC
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
That website is full of crap and is spreading misinformation. Find somewhere on the Ubuntu site that backs up these claims and I will be convinced. The difference between KDE and Gnome applications is certainly not the age group to which they're oriented. Likewise with XFCE.
He speaks the truth.
durrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM #81
Deadly Milk Man (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell View Post
System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

Make sure you're wired in.

Install any restricted drivers listed. Fully update your system. That should fix any issues you have and provide wireless.
Well I'm in Ubuntu right now connected to the internet.. I had my ethernet cable plugged into the "broadband" port on the back of my router and it wasn't working, then I connected it to "local ethernet" port and it worked.. I thought "local ethernet" would only be like the .. local network...


anyways, I went to system > administration > hardware drivers and it says:




...but my wireless isn't working
Deadly Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 PM #82
boomslang
lo-fi
 
boomslang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
How do you know it's not working?
__________________
Shoot the ****: irc.oftc.net #doublethink | dodgyaim
boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM #83
Deadly Milk Man (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
because i disconnect the ethernet and it doesn't work.. im installing a bunch of updates i'll try it again in a second
Deadly Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 PM #84
boomslang
lo-fi
 
boomslang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
How do you know it's not working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Milk Man View Post
because i disconnect the ethernet and it doesn't work
How is that supposed to help anyone troubleshoot a problem that is likely your fault?

Can you see nearby APs? Can you associate to APs? Can you get a DHCP lease? Can you resolve hostnames? Can you ping the router?

paste the output of "iwconfig" and "iwlist scan" please.
__________________
Shoot the ****: irc.oftc.net #doublethink | dodgyaim
boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump