PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-29-2013, 05:33 PM #1
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Media Center (maybe)

So I have this old desktop that I don't use anymore. It's not terribly bad or anything Windows XP. It runs fine. However, I have had a new pc for a while now and this one just sits in the closet. I want to do something fun with it. Just not sure what.

I am thinking about making it into a useful media center for my TV. I used to just use my 360 but it started messing up. Figured I could use this to just fill the gap. I want to be able to run Hulu, Netflix, and maybe stream television. I wouldn't be against buying a tv tuner. Inspired by the new xbox one, I thought it would be cool to run some voice recognition through it. Just not sure how feasible that is.

I thought of a couple ways of going about this and wanted some input:

1) A xbmc/plex/etc box. My biggest problem is that if I understand correctly Hulu and Netflix do not run well on those anymore. Is that still correct?

2) Just toss win8/linux/chromium on it and play straight through the browser. Windows media center would be another option and it would allow for the remote. If I want voice recognition, im not sure which would be the better way to go, if either.

3) If it's worth it, I wouldn't be against investing in an old kinect. I don't know much about how well the kinect>>pc route works.

4) Do something else with this pc. Any ideas?

Basically, I am just really bored and looking for a project and to put something in my closet to good use.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM #2
ixipaulixi

Annual Supporting Member
ixipaulixi is BST Trusted
ixipaulixi has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ixipaulixi has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Do you have a PS3? You can stream Netflix etc from it without paying for PSN unlike XBL.

I would recommend setting up a headless DLNA server. It will run lighter on your system leaving more room for processing. I use mine to stream to my SmartTV, PS3, 360, iPads, and cell phones.

In all honesty I think voice control is a gimmick and sucks.

I also use mine to host a website and have been thinking about setting it up as a mail server as well (like I said Linux runs lite at run level 3).
ixipaulixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 PM #3
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

If I were you, I'd install ubuntu (or a non-unity, more lightweight version) and install the XBMC interface over it. That way you can still use netflix and hulu through the browser while maintaining a much prettier interface when you're streaming locally.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM #4
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
xbmc + netflix is so jank, i can't even express.
wat
wat
Promagistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM #5
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
If I were you, I'd install ubuntu (or a non-unity, more lightweight version) and install the XBMC interface over it. That way you can still use netflix and hulu through the browser while maintaining a much prettier interface when you're streaming locally.
This is what I am leaning towards.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 PM #6
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promagistrate View Post
xbmc + netflix is so jank, i can't even express.
Pipelight, yo.

Granted, using a Firefox plugin to pipe the DRM crap through WINE is kinda jank, but still.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote