JRM is a Supporting Member
JRM is a founding member
JRM is a Professional paintball player
JRM plays in the PSP
JRM plays in the APPA Pro division
JRM supports Empire
What do you want to see from pro teams?

Ideas, thoughts.... anything goes.

What are some things that all you players would improve pro teams?

Food for thought: On field presence and enthusiasm such as before the game?

Notorious rivalries?

More video productions on what goes on besides the tournament?

This thread is just to cultivate some novel ideas and thoughts.

Have at it.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM #2
TcIronkids

TcIronkids is a Professional paintball player
a ipod app
TcIronkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM #3
paintballguru92
Guru

Annual Supporting Member
paintballguru92 plays in the PSP
paintballguru92 plays in the APPA D2 division
free stickers...
FLY HIGH KREW
paintballguru92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM #4
TcIronkids

stickers would be pretty sweet. do you think it should just be the logo or something else?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 AM #5
stuntman794j
yeah.... what?

stuntman794j owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
stuntman794j supports Team VICIOUS
stuntman794j supports Sherwood Forest
logo stickers would be cool, as well as tshirts.. also replica jerseys would be great

give alot of non-pro players a chance to rep their favorite team
stuntman794j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:57 PM #6
Westicles

Westicles is a Professional paintball player
these are good ideas.
Westicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM #7
ICDkid
Elevate

ICDkid is a Professional paintball player
ICDkid plays in the PSP
ICDkid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ICDkid plays in the APPA D4 division
Agreed
Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 PM #8
DisasterPlayer

DisasterPlayer plays in the USPL
DisasterPlayer plays in the PSP
DisasterPlayer plays in the APPA D3 division
I think it would be cool if you all made nicknames like "PPJM" for example, "Pro Player Jeff Milam"
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 PM #9
The Real Jay
Remember.

The Real Jay is a Professional paintball player
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterPlayer View Post
I think it would be cool if you all made nicknames like "PPJM" for example, "Pro Player Jeff Milam"
since jeff pulled a michael jordan would he have to change his number only to get it back sometime in the future?

NXe Paintball
PBWarehouse
The Real Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 AM #10
scottaka_rufio

has been a member for 10 years
scottaka_rufio helped look for balloons
i had a few questions and you guys are the only pro team that seems to really communicate to there fans and whatnot.

Im curious how you guys train and live with the pro life style. In my opinion theres that grey area from paying for everything in lower divisions to being a pro. Do you all have jobs or do companys help you live.

i just thought you guys should explain and shed some light on the misconceptions of pro paintball.
scottaka_rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 AM #11
TcIronkids

Im a full-time student at ASU, and have a part time job. Pretty much all of my money goes to paintball. This weekend we are scrimming PHX United and im spending $40 on paint and at least $160 for a local tournament on Sunday. All of us train during the week, like working out, running, swimming, playing basketball and soccer, or even long boarding. Pretty much all of us work in someway shape or form though to help ourselves pay for things. $200 for a weekend of Paintball thank god i get payed next week.

Last edited by TcIronkids : 03-21-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM #12
scottaka_rufio

ive always been confused on what pros pay for and what sponsors pay for.

everyone one assumes its all free to be on a pro team and i thought that Pro teams kind of have that responsibility to debunk the myths of pro paintball.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM #13
Kodiak62
Senior Drill Instructor

Kodiak62 is a Supporting Member
Kodiak62 is a Professional paintball player
Kodiak62 plays in the USPL
Kodiak62 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaka_rufio View Post
ive always been confused on what pros pay for and what sponsors pay for.

everyone one assumes its all free to be on a pro team and i thought that Pro teams kind of have that responsibility to debunk the myths of pro paintball.
Depends on the pro team.

Some pro teams are organizations (Dynasty) and have used their past success to market themselves and sell either themselves or products. They are really one of the only teams that "made" any money in paintball.

Some pro teams are heavily sponsored by companies. This will usually cover their gear and events including travel but that's about it. There are very few "paid" paintball players. Most that you hear about (Including Ollie Lang) are also employee's of a company. So while everyone liked to talk about his contract they lost sight of the fact that he works for Dye on top of playing for them. Many pro's work for paintball companies. They are usually the most understanding of the schedule it takes to compete at a high level.

Many of the contracts that pro's get are for gear. This is also the reason why you see these pro's selling that gear as soon as they can. It is how they help support their habit.

There are a couple pro teams that are funded by a wealthy dad or mom. But this is also true of many lower division teams. I know of some teams here in the state that are more funded then our pro team is and they play D3 I believe.

We are one of the least funded pro teams out there. This is to be expected though as we are new. We have wonderful sponsors who are helping us afford to attend events and most of our gear is covered to at this point. However we still have purchased our own hoppers and masks. We will hopefully eventually find a deal on those but for the time being we are happy that we got them at dealer cost from our sponsor www.pbwarehouse.net

We paid for our own practice paint this weekend, and will do so again next and the next and the next and so on. Maybe one day we will be so lucky as to have that covered for us. We are paying for our own hotel's in HB and the gas to get out there. We will pay for our flights and everything else for the next events.

If you after the free stuff there are much easier ways to get it. Every area has a rich kid who's dad will pay for everything so that either he or his kid can be on the team. This is no surprise to anyone I'm sure. Find one of those teams and woolah free stuff galore.

For us making it to the pro level and succeeding there is so much more. I don't think a single player on my team cares about the free stuff. It's nice don't get me wrong, but we are not used to having it so we are not accustomed to it. It's just a bonus at this point. We just want to play at the highest level of competition and win. I said along time ago and stick by it today that winning one game in the pro division was more fun then winning an event in the lower divisions.
Kodiak62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 AM #14
scottaka_rufio

Too be honest im quite surprised with the answers you guys have given. Ive never gotten reponses on this subject from the pros.

Im wondering not really of the free stuff bnut because theres only really 5 days in the week that you can make the rent, pay bills, arrange events with work and what not. I just think its up to professional teams and individual players what were all trying so hard to get into.

For me it seems like a huge comitment i want to one day make but with a wife and a job, i would kinda want to know what to expect.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 AM #15
Scott H

what i'd like to see...

Paintball needs some star players. someone for people to get excited about.

It would be a lot more interesting if there was some "household" names in paintball. And I don't just mean within the paintball community, but throughout the continent. Everyone in NA can tell you who Troy Aikman, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky and Derek Jeter are, but goodluck finding anyone who knows who Ollie Lang is in Smalltownanywhere USA. I can't even name half the teams in the uspl, nevermind a player from each team.

Anyways, how to do this? a combination of things. People need something tangable to judge who the stars are.

1. you need stats! how else can you tell who the best players are if you have no way of keeping track of their individual accomplishments? possible ideas; Kills, Deaths, kills per game ratio, flag hangs, bunkering moves...etc
2. individual awards. every other sport has them. possible ideas; best forward, best back, mvp, sportmanship award... etc

Of course, to get the word out, these stats would have to be published. First in Pbmagazines, pbnation. then maybe into local papers... then someday growing into tv/news coverage. People would read/tune in to see how their favourite players did at the latest tourny.

well that's just my thoughts.lmk what you think.

also, a good idea you could do right now to get name recognization is change your forum names to your actuall names. You're professionals (by definetion your job), and should act like you would if you were at any other job. there's no reason to "hide" behind internet alias. Plus the more times i see you're name the more likley i'll be able to remember it when i see you playing.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:57 AM #16
JRM
WEAR IT!

Annual Supporting Member
JRM is a Supporting Member
JRM is a founding member
JRM is a Professional paintball player
JRM plays in the PSP
JRM plays in the APPA Pro division
JRM supports Empire
Like Andrew said, the free gear is nice and a perk for some people, but we're just happy to have solid equipment and represent the sponsors that we have been fortunate enough to sign with.

I remember I used to save my lunch money during middle and high school for a case of paint... probably part of the reason I'm scrawny, but no regrets.

Paintball, at this stage in its life, is more of a hobby then sport by definition. I feel its a sport, but realistically and in the eyes of the public, it simply is not. Most of us understand that we participate because we enjoy, not because there is any material or monetary gain when revenues and expenses are accounted for.

Scott H - Stats have been something that have been tried before, I don't know if the capital was an issue or the number of people required to keep track of the stats in such a fast paced game that usually has more than one event unfold before you blink. I'll look more into it.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 PM #17
scottaka_rufio

theyve had a kill count on the last few psp event webcasts
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM #18
assmatazz
BNKR KINGS NYC

assmatazz works for a Paintball manufacturer
assmatazz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
assmatazz has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak62 View Post
For us making it to the pro level and succeeding there is so much more. I don't think a single player on my team cares about the free stuff. It's nice don't get me wrong, but we are not used to having it so we are not accustomed to it. It's just a bonus at this point. We just want to play at the highest level of competition and win. I said along time ago and stick by it today that winning one game in the pro division was more fun then winning an event in the lower divisions.

...simple as that!

having fun/being a team = success = sponsor
2 much sponsor pressure = no fun/team stress =no success = no sponsor

We are glad to welcome you in the TNKD family!

have fun

MK1 | BKNY

BNKR KINGS
assmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM #19
subtle

subtle is a Supporting Member
subtle owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
I wanna see some Elevation rolling papers.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:25 PM #20
TcIronkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaka_rufio View Post
Too be honest im quite surprised with the answers you guys have given. Ive never gotten reponses on this subject from the pros.

Im wondering not really of the free stuff bnut because theres only really 5 days in the week that you can make the rent, pay bills, arrange events with work and what not. I just think its up to professional teams and individual players what were all trying so hard to get into.

For me it seems like a huge comitment i want to one day make but with a wife and a job, i would kinda want to know what to expect.
It would seem tough, luckily for me i have very few outside responsibilities so i get to focus most of my time and energy on paintball.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:29 PM #21
scottaka_rufio

you are definalty blessed my friends..wife and paintball dont mix too well