Community Focus

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM #1
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
New board idea for NME

So I've been trying to figure out how to fit my NME's (all three of them) with a more current board using the original frame. I've thought about fitting them with Alias Timmy frames so I would have more board options, but I LOVE the NME frame. It fits the hand great and it looks nicer than an Alias frame.

I was at my local shop today and I had my NME frame and WAS board with me. I got them to take a shocker virtue board out of the package and comparing it to the stock WAS, the dimensions are VERY close.

I'm 95% sure it will fit in the frame with minimal work. The biggest thing I see is that on the shocker board the micro switch for the trigger is soldered directly to the board. That would have to be un-soldered, and wires soldered on to the board so the micro switch can be located in the correct spot.

I was very close to buying a Virtue shocker OLED board. I decided that it was to expensive ($185) for a first try. I'm going to try and pick up a cheap shocker board in the BST to see if I can make it fit. If it does, I'm going to pick up a Virtue Shocker OLED board. A wind will have to be cut into the frame for the OLED screen, but that's nothing a dremel can't tackle.

A new board could breath new life into these old markers. I recently put a Tadao OLED board in my Timmy and it's like a different gun!

I'll keep you guys posted!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM #2
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

More power to you. You can grab a Nerve Shocker board for practically nothing. However you are forgetting something very important. What about the shocker's upper board? There are two baords in every shocker. The upper baord which has the noid and eyes connected to it and the main baord. I'd just get the virtue board for the NME/Alien markers.
Tim Foolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM #3
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Yeah I figured that out shortly after posting. It still looks doable. I've got a shocker board on the way for $10 and an upper board for $30. The shocker board could be NOX flashed for around $35. That puts total cost around $75. MUCH cheaper than the NME/ Alien Virtue board. It's kind of a rip off for $135 (the cheapest I can find it for new). I haven't been able to find a used one. It's also an older board and doesn't have all the new spiffy features most current boards have. It may be update-able. I don't know if Virtue can or is willing to update them to the current Virtue re-defined code. The board may not support it since it is much older. Still seems like a lot of money even if they can... If I'm going to pay that much I want OLED and all the other new features!

Last edited by tjs0349 : 02-15-2009 at 05:51 PM.
tjs0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM #4
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

Let me know if it works, I'd give it a try if it does.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 PM #5
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
I'll post some pics if it works out.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM #6
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

Okay, I'm just curious as to where you are going to position the top board and what you are going to do about the eyes. There is no way that the stock shocker eyes are going to fit.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:46 PM #7
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
I'm thinking the upper board will either sit in the frame above the noid, or parallel to the main board. I'll either use some electrical tape to fasten it down or tap some holes to screw it in (depending on what position I can get it to fit in). The upper board is rather small and I don't see it being to difficult to find a spot in the frame for it. There actually is a lot of room in there for such a small frame.

The upper board has a connector on it that the ribbon cable from the eyes slides into. As you can see in the picture below, there are some nice pads on the back of the connector that I can solder the wires from the NME eyes on to. I will also have to solder the wires from the solenoid on, or put a different connector on the solenoid wires. In both cases it should be fairly easy, won't damage the board, and could be removed to restore the board to it's original state.

Another thing that would have to be done, is to either relocate the power switch on the upperboard, or rig up some sort of accuator to trigger it. That's the only part of this that seems like it might be semi difficult.

Upper board:

Shocker Ribbon Eyes:

Last edited by tjs0349 : 02-17-2009 at 03:52 PM.
tjs0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM #8
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

I'm telling you now you won't be able to do anything with the eyes. I've tried such a thing for a shego mod and it is almost impossible to do anything with them. More power to you though. And if you are at all familiar with computers all you have to do is go to any computer shop and get a 2 point harness and it fits perfectly on the shocker board. Then all you have to do solder it to the Noid.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM #9
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
One thing I forgot to mention is that I will have to relocate the micro switch for the trigger. It's attached to the lower board. I'll have to de-solder it and run some wires so it can sit in the NME frame in the correct spot.

I really doubt the eyes will be a problem. There are schematics of the upper board on www.zdspaitnball.com so it won't be difficult to figure out how to connect the NME eyes. I may just get a set of shocker eyes and replace the ribbon cable with wires. Then I would know they are the correct current.

Another thing I've been thinking about is that maybe an Ego Etek2 or PMR board might fit. They both appear to be similar dimensions to the stock WAS board. They might be a little easier to adapt than the shocker board since I wouldn't have to mess with the extra circuit board. The eyes, solenoid, and trigger would all just plug in (might have to put a different connector on the wires).

I've already got the shocker boards on the way though, so I'm going to continue down that path for now. If I can't get it working I may try one of the others, or maybe I will try one of the others (or both) for my other two NMEs.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 PM #10
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

How's it going?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM #11
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
It's not yet... waiting for the boards to arrive...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM #12
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

Oh, well I was thinking. If there is room for the top board what you should do is place it so that you can use the shocker eyes instead of having to mod the board. I'd go to ace hardware and pic up a small length of brass piping. And cut it to length to use as a shim for the eyes.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 PM #13
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
I could try that. I'm just not sure the ribbon cable that attaches the eyes to the board would be long enough. If I can get my hands on a cheap set, it would be worth a try though. I'll keep my eyes open for some.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 AM #14
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

You might try looking into the different PM/DM/Angel eyes. I'm not sure if any of them will fit in a shocker board. But if they do then that would be great for you because they are rather long. Also you are getting a NXT upper board right? it is break beam and the SFT shockers are not.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 AM #15
jhviks02
Mad Cow tech

jhviks02 supports Team VICIOUS
Did you get and board from and NXT or SFT shocker? The reason I as is the SFT shockers are bounce beam and break beam eyes wont work with the lower board. Also the shocker eyes arn't the same size and the stock nme eyes. You will need to make a shim to get most eyes to work. NME's use timmy eyes which are 4mm and they aren't very easy to come by if you plan to build your own eyes. It seems do able with enough work but this would be more of a do it because you can type mod. If you just want an updated board you can the the universal T-board. You shouldn't have any problems getting it to work and/or fit in the nme frame.

US Air Force Retired

New feedback Old feedback +50/-0
jhviks02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM #16
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
It doesn't really matter if it's an NXT, SFT, or Nerver board. They can all be NOX flashed for $35 in order to support break beam eyes. Plus I'm trying to do a cheap proof of concept. The plan was to try it, see if it works, then pick up a more expensive OLED board.

I'm aware of the differences between the NME eyes and shocker eyes. I would probably modify the existing eyes from my NME to connect to Shocker board (custom wiring harness). I'm fairly certain this would work. The other thought as I mentioned previously was to modify the shocker eyes in the fashion you described to fit the NME. I would probably have to de-solder them from the ribbon cable (don't think it's long enough) and use a custom wiring harness.

I wasn't aware of the Scenario Dreams Universal T-board. I just googled it and found all the info. Looks nice. It's small too. No doubt it would fit in the NME frame. Best of all it's cheap! Only $55!

If I had known about that previously I would probably have done that. But I already have all the shocker parts on the way. Maybe I'll order one or two for my other NME's thought. Thanks telling me about it, it would be a whole lot easier!

The only advantage to doing the shocker mod at this point is that if it works I can pick up a Virtue OLED board (I've seen them for as cheap as $135) and have a nice board with a display. I personally love OLED boards because I hate trigger programming. I have 10 guns and I can never remember the differences in order to program them and have to dig out the manual. It's a pain in the ***. OLED solves this. I've already put Tadao OLED boards in my Timmys, my Vice, and my Autococker. Would love to have one in my NMEs as well! Then I'll just have to figure out what to do about the Angel G7. I'm thinking of trying to fit an A1 OLED board in the frame and if that doesn't work fitting an A1 frame on it. I guess that's for another forum... I digress...
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 PM #17
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

Naw keep that here, I like angels as well. Dude good luck if I had an NME I'd be buying the T board just so we could say we tried it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM #18
jhviks02
Mad Cow tech

jhviks02 supports Team VICIOUS
I wish you best of luck and I look forward to seeing the finished product. The NXT eyes work fine with the custom harness. I also don't see a problem with the NME eyes working once you have the board flashed. On the plus side if you get it to work with the stock board then it should just be plug and play with any other shocker board (besides the trigger switch).

Romey

US Air Force Retired

New feedback Old feedback +50/-0
jhviks02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM #19
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
Yeah that's what I was thinking... Still waiting for the boards to arrive... California to Chicago always takes a long time... especially via USPS...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM #20
Tim Foolery
Mr. Goodnews

Damn USPS, I want to see how this turns out.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 AM #21
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 supports Empire
I just got the upper board on Saturday. I expect the Tadao board I ordered will be in on Monday or Tuesday. Only bad thing is the Tadao board needs to be updated to support break beam eyes, so I won't be able to test the eyes until it is updated. It's free, but I don't know how long it will take to send it in and get it back. Also if the Tadao board doesn't include the wiring harness I will have to pick one up.

So far it looks promising. The upper board will have no problem fitting in the NME frame with everything else.