Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM #1
Tcheno

Post [GUIDE] How to properly take care of your SLG

Too many "issues" have been reported on this forum just because people are either new to the sport, lack the knowledge or are just too lazy to read through the manual in order to know how to properly maintain their SLGs.
In order to keep the "fake Issues" thread count to a minimum I decided to write this small guide.

Fist off and before we get our hands dirty, lets start by taking in to count a couple of concepts that will ease everybody's understanding of the guns internal, how they work and will make it easier to troubleshoot.

One basic but very important concept to understand is airflow (working pressure/recharge rate).
SLGs highly depend on a good air flow and adequate HPR pressure setting as these two factors have a direct impact on how well the bolt system, and ultimately the gun, works/performs.

You should perform regulator maintenance on your HPR, as soon as your get your gun and at least once every year or ideally every 6 moths, in order to avoid pressure drops while shooting, which in time might lead to Full-Auto issues if shooting at low FPS Limits (Reball). Also, you should run your FPS between 270 and 290 during marker and regulator break in period (ideally 5 cases of paint), only then will the gun work under a low FPS setting.

Another gun "component" that also contributes to bad airflow/slow recharge rates is the ASA.
That's why it's very important to correctly set the depressor pin on your ASA (refer to manual) and to always make sure to fully tighten your tank on to the ASA.

Another very important concept that people have to understand is that the SLG uses a electromagnetic pancake noid to activate/release the bolt (just like e-spyders, e-tippmans, etc).
Although the SLG pancake noid design is much more efficient then other pancake noids currently on the market, it still means that it will need/use a bit more juice from the battery (in comparison to elecropneumatic noids).
This is the main reason my people should use fresh quality batteries.
Usual "malfunctions" caused by the use of low quality/drained batteries are, between several, Full-Auto issues, faulty eyes (some times causing chops), gun turns off after a couple of shots.
Still regarding batteries, on the UL SLG, some batteries "appear" shorter then others which means that, in some cases, the gun will disconnect in the mid play. In this case use a small piece of the battery pack´s cardboard under the battery for a perfect/tight fit.

Now that we understand part of the SLG's voodoo, lets get our hands dirty and take care of the stuff that takes care of 90% of the reported issues, that's maintenance.

One of the great things about the SLG is the ease of maintenance. Maintenance can be done in under 5 minutes.
While performing maintenance there are only 4 things you should be aware of.
Not over lubing the bolt tip, properly lubing bolt and plunger orings (also the plunger in the UL), cleaning the eyes and their holes and properly tightening the back cap.

That being said, now on to the process:
1 - Press the back cap bleed button
2 - Remove back cap
3 - Take out the bolt (push it with your finger through the feed neck or use a swab through the front of the gun)
4 - Clean bolt (if the bolt appears nicked/scratched between the catcher ring and the back of the bolt, go to your proshop and ask them to adjust your sear travel)
5 - Clean plunger (also clean the silencer in the case of a UL, never forgetting to use a q tip to clean the inside of the silencer)

6 - Clean the inside of the gun by using both a swab and a towel (you may need to aply force when orings are new or the gun has been in rest for some time)
7 - Check the inside of the bolt and make sure the SOFT RUBBER CUSHION is in there

8 - Check bolt and plunger orings for damage and replace the damaged ones.
9 - Check that the quad O15 bumper O-ring (square one next to vent hole) is not damaged (some barbs may appear with use, just clip them) or covering the vent hole. If damaged replace with the one on the parts kit.
10 - Make sure the bolt is properly screwed (tip + back)

11 - Lube bolt and plunger orings (must also lube the silencer in case of the UL). only use a small amount of lube on the bolt tip orings so that you don't run the risk of getting the eyes covered.

12 - Apply a small amount of lube on the plunger rod, right on to the cone that holds the oring, so that the air flow drags the lube towards the plunger (and silencer, in the case of the UL)

13 - Insert bolt while holding the gun with trigger frame up in order to avoid getting too much lube on the sear
14 - Insert and tighten the back cap (make sure its screwed in all the way and secure)
15 - Chrono the gun between 270 and 290 FPS.
16 - You're set! Go play!!

ALWAYS PERFORM MAINTENANCE BEFORE PLAY
Maintaining the gun after play and letting it sit for a long time will greatly increase the change of erratic behavior.

Last edited by Tcheno : 02-10-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Tcheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 AM #2
bubblebob88again

bubblebob88again has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Very good write up, should solve a lot of issues people are having. STICKY THIS!

I think it's important for everyone to realize that most problems are from a lack of maintence. Many people who buy it new still need to understand to clean it and lube it up before play, use new batteries a lot, the battery I believe is really only good for 10,000 shots if I'm correct, or 5 cases. After 2 cases, and some dry firing tuning and setting your fps, you're battery is already halfway dead! Replace them often.

05 Smart Parts Impulse: NDZ Trigger, Blackheart board, Tapeworm, Evil Punch Kit. Plans for a low profile feedneck, Evil internals and respirator.

Last edited by bubblebob88again : 02-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.
bubblebob88again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM #3
W.K.S.
Spool Valve Sensei

W.K.S. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
W.K.S. is attending Decay of Nations VII
Sticky only if you get pics, if not, then no.

The reason being is most of the people that need to read this don't have the patience to.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 PM #4
lookitsjesus

so smart you are tcheno so sticky and sweet
lookitsjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM #5
Op350
DRIFTO!

Great job, throw some pics in there.
Op350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 PM #6
bantx

Yeah someone else said before even when the gun is brand new always take the bolt out and check it out, most of the time it is over lubed cause i remember mine was drowned in lube so i had to wipe all of it off and relube it and replace a o-ring or 2
bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:52 PM #7
Tcheno

There you go!
Now its all up and tidy for all you readers digest fans out there!!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM #8
Tikiman12

can you add a silencer to an 08?
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=381989
Ebay feedback:
http://myworld.ebay.com/tikiman121086/
Tikiman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 PM #9
Tcheno

You can use the UL internals on the 08 but not the opposite
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM #10
W.K.S.
Spool Valve Sensei

W.K.S. has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
W.K.S. is attending Decay of Nations VII
now its sticky ready
Old 02-10-2009, 04:40 PM #11
CaptHowdy

has been a member for 10 years
CaptHowdy donated to help Peyton Trent
Tcheno great thread
CaptHowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM #12
bubblebob88again

Can we just toss in the silencer or do we have to swap all the internals, I haven't done too much research of if the insides are different...

05 Smart Parts Impulse: NDZ Trigger, Blackheart board, Tapeworm, Evil Punch Kit. Plans for a low profile feedneck, Evil internals and respirator.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 PM #13
desacato102

desacato102 is playing at Living Legends III
Tcheno good thread MUST sticky I never realized that in my manual said all you wrote and posted pics maybe because of my patience in reading while trying to figure out what's wrong with my gun. I'm going to try the ASA thingy and see what happens
Old 02-11-2009, 04:54 AM #14
Tcheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebob88again View Post
Can we just toss in the silencer or do we have to swap all the internals, I haven't done too much research of if the insides are different...
You have to swap all the internals
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM #15
bubblebob88again

Alright, thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM #16
asiansensation77
hello.

asiansensation77 supports Team VICIOUS
asiansensation77 posts videos on PbNation
hey man my proto slg has been shutting down on me. i have read the manuals and it told me to just remove the board and then make sure the buttons are clean. it is an 08 model. it has been good for 6months and the battery and connections are good. i just bought a tadao board for it too. i had it installed at my local paintball shop. please help.
asiansensation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 PM #17
tienle0

tcheno is a very helpful guy, gives some of the most informative information regarding ur question, ur problems, whatever, read this shizzle!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM #18
tienle0

asiansensation did you try a new battery yet?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM #19
Super.pt

good job tcheno!

If the gun doesn't have the "macacoa" then the sear adjust isn't adviced. lolol

cumps
Super.pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:32 AM #20
Tcheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiansensation77 View Post
hey man my proto slg has been shutting down on me. i have read the manuals and it told me to just remove the board and then make sure the buttons are clean. it is an 08 model. it has been good for 6months and the battery and connections are good. i just bought a tadao board for it too. i had it installed at my local paintball shop. please help.
You should check you battery harness, check that it grabs on to the batty tight and that its securely connected to the board. If it's ok, check for damaged or pinched wires.
If nothing of the above is found, just install the sock board and see if it works out ok.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:31 PM #21
desacato102

desacato102 is playing at Living Legends III
I'm still having problems with my gun. It's either the sear pin or the board. How can I deal with the sear pin? I'm trying everything before sending it to Dye. I've checked everything, changed every o-ring, ASA pin and nothing. My gun is an SLG UL 09