ReplyNews Ups

Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM #22
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Does AAPP have specific days planned when they do this? I would love to play a few games there with this rule in effect, it sound like a good time.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
WorldStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM #23
TeddyBear1992
OneLoveOneLifeOneChance

TeddyBear1992 supports Team VICIOUS
sounds cool to give yourself a handicap, or do drills. I want billyball mode.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM #24
Bzump

Bzump is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Bzump is a Professional paintball player
Bzump donated to help Peyton Trent
This is horrible for paintball field owners. They want more paint consumption.
•Visit the Str8killas/F.T.W. thread•
•Bob Long•Sly•NXe•DXS•
Bzump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM #25
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
lol. lame. Why not just rent pumps?

I'll predict that after people play with billys balls for about 5 months(7 months tops), they will want their normal ROF back. I'm sure it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM #26
PDX-Jackal
Paint is delicious

PDX-Jackal is playing at Living Legends III
PDX-Jackal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzump View Post
If it attracts more people it will make up for the loss of paint used per a person. And its cheaper for the player, which will allow them to play longer or come out again next week. This is like saying Stock class pumpers, like me, is bad for a fields.
PDX-Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 PM #27
dpkidsrocks2

Quote:
Any field owner that has been running a field for years knows that more paint consumption is not the way to go right now with new players. I would assume you would know that considering you're a "pro" player, but I guess not.
dpkidsrocks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM #28
KMA

KMA is a founding member
KMA supports DLX Technology
Quote:
If it helps more younger players get started, then how can it be bad? Like it was said previously... this is geared toward young kid birthday parties, or other similar occasions. Once they get hooked and get over their initial fear, they'll start playing with the "normal" groups. Kids playing at 0.5 bps is better than them not playing at all, definitely will shoot more paint anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc! View Post
lol. lame. Why not just rent pumps?

I'll predict that after people play with billys balls for about 5 months(7 months tops), they will want their normal ROF back. I'm sure it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Low ROF electros are easier to use than pumps for newer players. They often have a hard time shooting straight or remembering to fill their hoppers, let alone remembering to pump (or to not pump twice and double feed). Plus, these same guns can be used for other groups (i.e. not kids) and set to shoot at a higher ROF. You wouldn't expect fields to have two sets of guns, right?
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM #29
jshaft37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Jackal View Post
If it attracts more people it will make up for the loss of paint used per a person. And its cheaper for the player, which will allow them to play longer or come out again next week. This is like saying Stock class pumpers, like me, is bad for a fields.
more over, i think the idea is to win over new players that will come back more than once. if you can get people hooked in a less threatening environment, maybe they will buy gear, come back and play regularly, and shoot a case a day.
jshaft37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM #30
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-Jackal View Post
This is like saying Stock class pumpers, like me, is bad for a fields.
If there was an army of you, then yes. It would be bad.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 PM #31
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Plus, these same guns can be used for other groups (i.e. not kids) and set to shoot at a higher ROF. You wouldn't expect fields to have two sets of guns, right?
Ok, ya got me there
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM #32
e_friccero
―\_(ツ)_/―

Annual Supporting Member
e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
sounds like a fun idea
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM #33
Sean@smartpartswest
Living Legends May 18-20!

Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends III
Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaft37 View Post
more over, i think the idea is to win over new players that will come back more than once. if you can get people hooked in a less threatening environment, maybe they will buy gear, come back and play regularly, and shoot a case a day.
Bingo!!! Hit it right on the money.

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.cpxsports.com
www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
Sean@smartpartswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM #34
Mr. Short Pants
I show off my shoes.

Annual Supporting Member
Mr. Short Pants plays in the PSP
Mr. Short Pants supports Cereal Killerz 2
LOL, sounds awesome. One of the most fun things we used to do was break out the old SL-68's at my old field. Get all the really experienced players together and it was an absolute blast.

I think people underestimate how much fun something like this could be.

I know people get burned out on the sport, playing every weekend and having to pay for that. It gets to be less fun and more work. Throw in a day of Billy ball a couple times a year and it's all fun again.

Quote:
Do you make more money selling paintballs or renting equipment? If you get a group who is willing to return to your field on a regular basis soon you will have paid for the rental equipment and will be turning 100% profit every time you rent a gun. A rental vibe is what? Near $100, you rent that gun 6-8 times and everything after that is money in your pocket. You use this format and it only costs someone $30 to come play for a day and they're going to do it much more often.

Last edited by Mr. Short Pants : 02-09-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Mr. Short Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM #35
swilhelm
Web Geek

swilhelm is a Supporting Member
swilhelm donated to help Peyton Trent
swilhelm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think it's a good idea for the new comers to the sport. The only thing that might be good is maybe kicking it up to 1bps instead of 0.5.

I would think it will relieve the fear of getting lit up. I know that was my dad's perspective after the first game he played he got stitched up the ribs with about 6 or 7 shots...he didn't like that (but I sure as hell loved it...but that's besides the point )...

And as far as how the field owners perspective, as it said in the original article...it will change their business model & make them look at it as a time & service item rather than an opportunity to just sell paint. Fields can profit with this just like paint sales...they just need to think.

Overall, I like it...I'd like to play it. I just might when the AXBL heads down to AAPP this summer
Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM #36
Sub5
www.MainePB.com

Sub5 plays in the APPA beginner division
OMG HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LANE!!!!!

This sounds like it would be a nice training tool, I wonder if it will become a style of pickup games.
Sub5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM #37
Exilict

Exilict is a Supporting Member
Exilict is a founding member
Exilict donated to help Peyton Trent
Exilict plays in the APPA D5 division
I want billyball mode on my Luxe.

-Chris
Exilict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM #38
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

Ahhhh....see, it seems I was denied vital need to know information. Like the fact that it's not being forced onto players. I found the full article in the Field owners section. It made more sense. I approve

Smart Parts announces Billy-Ball for the Rental Vibe

Smart Parts introduces a new firing mode for the rental version of the Vibe electropneumatic paintball marker aimed at reducing rate of fire.

Loyalhanna, PA – February 8, 2009 – The new Billy-Ball firing mode available in Vibe rental markers from Smart Parts, Inc., restricts a players' rate of fire, opening up more opportunities for paintball field operators.

“It's pretty ironic,” says Smart Parts President Bill Gardner Jr., for whom the mode is named, “we've pushed the limits of marker rate of fire to meet player demand, but at the beginning levels of the sport that's scaring off newer players.”

Gardner's own sons were anxious about jumping in to walk-on games at Smart Parts' home field, the All-American Paintball Park in Greensburg, PA.

“Most of us around the factory started out in the days of pump paintball, so we never faced that kind of intimidation, it was a different game with those lower rates of fire. We've had a lot of field owners tell us they needed a way to address it, and they couldn't afford to keep a second set of pump markers on hand, while their more experienced customers want higher performance. The solution was easy, and it all boiled down to software.”

The microprocessor “brain” of the Vibe can be configured with custom firing modes tailored to a particular paintball field's needs. The Billy-Ball firing mode allows the Vibe to fire at a rate of 0.5 bps, or one ball every two seconds, simulating the rate of fire typical in pump-action paintball games. The new mode was first tested at the All-American Paintball Park and met with an immediately positive response from the Smart Parts staff members playing, as well as visiting field owners who had an opportunity to try it out after technical training classes. More importantly, the mode was quickly embraced by groups playing paintball for the first time.

In its first month of use, Billy-Ball's advantages in a rental marker became quickly apparent:
- Group sales, especially with younger players, are increasing as less paint in the air means less welts and less intimidation.
- Package pricing for Billy-Ball moves away from being paint-centered, to being facilities and time centered.
- The reduced cost of consumables allows for higher per-group profits.
- Increased rate of returning, occasional play customers.
- Fewer referees are needed to monitor a game with less firepower.
- Cleanup – especially for indoor fields - is easier with less paint on the field.

“Because of the lower paint consumption, we're able to put together birthday party package prices that are more affordable,” says All-American Field Manager Tim Montressor. “When paint was a variable, parents were concerned about going over budget before the day is out. Billy-Ball has taken care of that sales obstacle. We can offer a per-child price for their party that is all-inclusive – it's already making a difference in sales.”

Surprisingly, some of the more experienced regular walk-on customers have been spending time playing Billy-Ball games as well, using it as a tool to improve their communication, movement and snap-shooting skills without relying on high rates of fire to hold their game together. Even though they are renting a marker, these players are still saving money on a day's play because Billy-Ball requires so much less paint. Not only does the customer save money, but the income the field generates is a return on its investment in rental markers, instead of money it must spend on buying more paint.

SP-1 markers purchased in field-rental quantities are also available with similar features and Billy-Ball programming. Smart Parts plans to make Billy-Ball available in future updates to most of its product line.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:16 PM #39
Adrenaline-Junkie
Hells Yeah!

Annual Supporting Member
Adrenaline-Junkie posts videos on PbNation
Adrenaline-Junkie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Adrenaline-Junkie has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I dont even see how its good for newer players that may come back to the sport. If anything you give them a false concept of how paintball is really played. If they do decide to paly again and nobody is using said mode then itll be just as shocking. If you cant handle playig like everyone else the first time, then you probably shouldnt be playing paintball.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:19 PM #40
prettylou
Por favor nene!

prettylou donated to help Peyton Trent
prettylou is playing at Living Legends III
prettylou is playing at Living Legends V
prettylou supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Not if your bringing new players to your field who wouldnt normally come out. Plus you can make a package price that would include rental and a certain amount of paint. Its actually a great idea for field owners. It introduces new players who can eventually become more advanced players.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM #41
ROB.
THE lil Rob

hehe,
first thing that came to mind was that it's like muskets

this could be fun for streetball too when you get tired and your down to that last pod of paint.
Random jerseys, empire Arm pads, B2, Revy
ROB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM #42
dpkidsrocks2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline-Junkie View Post
If you cant handle playig like everyone else the first time, then you probably shouldnt be playing paintball.
How does everyone else play?

Every time you post my head gets another bruise on it from slamming it into my desk...

...When people play paintball for their first time they want to have fun, not get shot up multiple times. This method solves the getting shot up multiple times problem very quickly and effectively, and also keeps the price down which in return could result in them coming back to play more often, which is something this sport needs very badly right now.

Last edited by dpkidsrocks2 : 02-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.
dpkidsrocks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.