PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM #1
frontmon272
iPwn

has been a member for 10 years
Guitar or Bass?

So I play both bass and guitar, about average at both. I want to join a band and hopefully have a semi-successful music career (I know its not likely, but still worth a try).

Whenever I play bass, I miss that guitar sound and being heard by others (unlike bass). However, when I play guitar, I miss my low bass lines and rhythm.

As much as I love jamming out on guitar I also love the groove of the bass.

I have to choose to advance at one, and I don't know which. Persuade me.

"Originally posted by CgotNerve59: The gooch is ok, but if some girl put her finger in my Brown eye, She would be joining the smackahoe tribe"
frontmon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM #2
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
I don't know what kind of band you play in but everything I listen to the bass is heard incredibly easily
You will have an easier time finding a band as a bassist, but I guess you won't be able to follow your rockstar fantasies as one

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM #3
_Dunwich_ (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV
MTV Multiplayer: Did you have a hard time getting Slayer into the game because of their lyrics?

Flores: The Slayer story was interesting. We’ve had Slayer in [a "Guitar Hero" game] before. But now, you can sing their lyrics. It’s a totally different ball of wax. We had the song “Angel of Death” cleared. Anybody that knows Slayer knows that that song is not about, “Hey, it’s good to go out there and do these terrible things.” They did a song about a really bad guy and it’s obvious that they didn’t put any commentary into the song, but some people interpreted it the incorrect way.

And that controversy probably blew over 10, 15 years ago, right? Everybody knows that, but it’s going to show up in a video game and some parents might see it. We couldn’t get that song cleared, and we had to take it off. Which personally killed me because Slayer was my absolute favorite band when I was in high school. And Lars was like, “We have to get Slayer, we have to get Slayer, we have to get Slayer.”

Then we got “War Ensemble” cleared, but it’s after we’ve gone down the line and got all our songs done. Lars really wanted it in the game. I really wanted it in the game. But I didn’t want to be the guy who broke the bad news to everybody and says to the people on the team, “Hey, you know what? You all need to stay late and do extra work because Lars wants a song in the game.” But he was really adamant that it needed to be in the game.

So we sucked it up, we did the extra amount of effort to put the song into the game at the last minute. But it’s Slayer. It just makes the game so much better. That song puts the high-end difficulty in there; it’s harder than anything else in the game, and it’s even hard on bass. And you can imagine what it’s like on drums with double bass pedals. It’s insane. It took a lot of extra work on our part. In the end, I’m glad we did it, and I appreciate everybody that had to pull together to try and get it done.
_Dunwich_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 PM #4
Oc_rage (Banned)

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
bass. everyone plays guitar but im still more amazed at a skilled bassist
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM #5
twss

Both, there's no reason why you can't do both. Especially bass and guitar, they're very similar instruments so I say both. I play both very seriously and it's not that difficult if you're dedicated enough.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM #6
Ando, raider from mx (Banned)

play funk
Ando, raider from mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 PM #7
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Play both. I play bass as my main instrument but I can tear up a guitar pretty well too because it's so similar, I just tend to play it more rhythm oriented.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM #8
The Ethanator
conveniently inconvenient

many guitarists i know can easily transfer that skill over to bass like nothing. going bass to guitar though, is pretty hard in my opinion

it also depends on the musician demographics where you are. in my neighborhood, skilled bass players are sought after, while everyone and their mother plays guitar. the rest of the bassists are just the kids that get ibanez/squier starter packs for christmas and all of a sudden theyre a bassist

however, where i go to school (private school, kids from a 50+ mile radius), skilled guitarists are popular, and a bunch of people play bass. only 1 or 2 have any recognition since theyre in the jazz band, most of the others are the 'faux-bassists' described above, while theres 5 or so that arent recognized that play pretty well (including myself)

it also depends where your 'fantasy' lies. do you want to dazzle a crowd with a shredding solo, just stand in the back holding down the low end, or woo a crowd with a rocking slap solo? theres alot of difference between everything, so it depends alot on what you want to do. personally, i always imagined myself playing bass or drums. the parts that go unnoticed by the listener until they get removed

it would help us answer your question in your favor if you give us more information. bassists will tell you to play bass, guitarists will tell you to play guitar. either way, we both have threads here with players who will point you in the right direction for excelling your skill
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM #9
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

first serious post from ethan i've ever seen

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 PM #10
paintballrockera7x
Hard Rocker

guitar you can actually be heared and i play the guitar oh and the guitarist get the most girls so go wit the guitar
and no one likes the bassist
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM #11
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballrockera7x View Post
guitar you can actually be heared and i play the guitar oh and the guitarist get the most girls so go wit the guitar
useless post is useless

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM #12
Zidane
Viva La Nation

Quote:
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM #13
The Ethanator
conveniently inconvenient

Quote:
lulz. depends what kind of music youre playing, and how the eq is balanced on everything. and ive gotten more girls than either of my guitarists, thank you verey much. imma kick you in the e-balls
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 AM #14
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops
Surely there is one you are a tad better at. They are both important, and never understood why some people said the bass isn't. That's like saying the drummer isn't important.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Scott7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM #15
_~Bubba~_
Originally a 2k3er

_~Bubba~_ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
_~Bubba~_ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
_~Bubba~_ has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Go with Bass. If you think about it (coming from my aspect as amusician) Everyone and thier dog plays guitar. The trick is making it sound good. Can you do that??? Bands ae mostly looking for Bass players more often than they are Guitarist.

I say go for bass.

Starting over....
_~Bubba~_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 PM #16
Count Drugula
Temper

Play doom metal.

You tune so low that you can enjoy being heard and have the rhythm and grooviness of the bass.
Count Drugula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 AM #17
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
A good guitarist is probably better than a good bassist but I'll always stand by that a great bassist is better than a great guitarist.

I personally picked bass because something about those lows just relaxs me and makes me feel good on the inside.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 AM #18
Motograter
Stigma

Motograter is attending Decay of Nations VII
Bass. But play both. You get more babes that way.
Motograter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 AM #19
4 8 15 16 23 42 (Banned)

Quote:
I don't know whats wrong with you guys, this post was golden.
4 8 15 16 23 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 AM #20
_Dunwich_ (Banned)

srsly
I lol'd quite hard
_Dunwich_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM #21
Ando, raider from mx (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7d View Post
That's like saying the drummer isn't important.
well, I mean, they don't even play real notes
Ando, raider from mx is offline   Reply With Quote