Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 PM #568
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Hi kids! Welcome to Internet 101 with Derr!

Today's lesson: SPOTTING A TROLL.

Remember to check the join date before responding to a poster's inflammatory and usually retarded flyby posting. If it's within the past thirty days, it's safe to say this tool doesn't give much of a **** about the forum. Better steer clear of this dindlesquat and move on.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 AM #569
markcheb
surrender...don't move
 
markcheb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: across the Jordan river
lol, for some reason I "heard" that lesson in a Tom Hanks voice.
__________________
Which thief ~»††«~ are you?
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 AM #570
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin
 
EVILpaintball69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: texas
 has been a member for 10 years
EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
I read through the thread.

I think that discounting God needs to be based off a little bit more than logic and reason (which seems to be the overall theme here). They both still have various unknowns that need I little more explanation than "it logically doesnt make sense."

On a side note, its dissapointing to see watered down Christianity in this thread (the ones who cant defend their faith with anything other than what they hear in sunday school). Some, need to read up more on what their faith is based off of and also knowing the ideas of other beliefs.
__________________
Baylor University Paintball
EVILpaintball69 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 AM #571
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
lol, for some reason I "heard" that lesson in a Tom Hanks voice.
That's strange, not only because my name is Tom, but also because I was going for a Gary Sinise sound.



trippy…
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 AM #572
shark6428
 
 
shark6428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILpaintball69 View Post
I read through the thread.

I think that discounting God needs to be based off a little bit more than logic and reason (which seems to be the overall theme here). They both still have various unknowns that need I little more explanation than "it logically doesnt make sense."

On a side note, its dissapointing to see watered down Christianity in this thread (the ones who cant defend their faith with anything other than what they hear in sunday school). Some, need to read up more on what their faith is based off of and also knowing the ideas of other beliefs.
How else, then, do you expect anyone to disprove the existence of God? I'm pretty sure logic and reason are the only ways to prove or disprove anything definitively. Instead of asking non-believers to qualify their lack of faith through something other than logic, you should require believers to actually use some reason in their beliefs.
__________________
Michael-Day.net


Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM #573
akatch79
Queen of the Norse
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILpaintball69 View Post
On a side note, its dissapointing to see watered down Christianity in this thread (the ones who cant defend their faith with anything other than what they hear in sunday school). Some, need to read up more on what their faith is based off of and also knowing the ideas of other beliefs.
Funny, that's exactly what each and every single post you've made so far sounds like.
__________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
- Voltaire
A
akatch79 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM #574
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin
 
EVILpaintball69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: texas
 has been a member for 10 years
EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
How else, then, do you expect anyone to disprove the existence of God? I'm pretty sure logic and reason are the only ways to prove or disprove anything definitively. Instead of asking non-believers to qualify their lack of faith through something other than logic, you should require believers to actually use some reason in their beliefs.
Our reason is written out in a book that has withstood all of time. And reason behind logic still leaves room for unknown variables. So I think you may want to read up on the definition of definitive, because as far as the definition goes, it doesnt really leave room for unknown variables. Ill save you the trouble...It means to clarify, or to be the final form of something. So how can you say an idea is in its final form when "logically" the perception of an idea never ends. I am by no means saying that logic is always wrong, but to base your origin off of logic tells me that you have no real answer for the origin of your beliefs. So maybe you hold more faith in something than you think you do eh?
__________________
Baylor University Paintball
EVILpaintball69 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM #575
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin
 
EVILpaintball69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: texas
 has been a member for 10 years
EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatch79 View Post
Funny, that's exactly what each and every single post you've made so far sounds like.
AKATCH!!! its you again!

But I assure you I have done plenty of reading on both sides. I simply choose to put my faith in God rather than logic. I also enjoy seeing the sarcasm come out when people get frustrated. That my friend, is funny.
__________________
Baylor University Paintball
EVILpaintball69 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM #576
akatch79
Queen of the Norse
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILpaintball69 View Post
Our reason is written out in a book that has withstood all of time.
I have addressed this argument in another post - the fact that the Bible is however-many-thousand years old is completely irrelevant as to its truthiness. It is packed with contradictions and while it might make a good read (yes, I certainly do read the Bible), that doesn't make it true.

Quote:
And reason behind logic still leaves room for unknown variables. So I think you may want to read up on the definition of definitive, because as far as the definition goes, it doesnt really leave room for unknown variables. Ill save you the trouble...It means to clarify, or to be the final form of something.
It seems to me that there aren't really any extraneous variables in the question of whether God is real. Either he is, or he is not. Nevertheless, we cannot disprove the existence of anything, and even if we could, the burden of proof would be on you to PROVE God's existence.

Quote:
So how can you say an idea is in its final form when "logically" the perception of an idea never ends. I am by no means saying that logic is always wrong, but to base your origin off of logic tells me that you have no real answer for the origin of your beliefs. So maybe you hold more faith in something than you think you do eh?
...........................................
__________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
- Voltaire
A
akatch79 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 AM #577
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Quote:
Our reason is written out in a book that has withstood all of time
All of time? Really? What about the 150,000 or so years that humans were around before the bible was written?
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM #578
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin
 
EVILpaintball69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: texas
 has been a member for 10 years
EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
All of time? Really? What about the 150,000 or so years that humans were around before the bible was written?
read akatch's post. you will understand my meaning of time within human history.
__________________
Baylor University Paintball
EVILpaintball69 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM #579
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Dude, the entire universe is six thousand years old. Duh…
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM #580
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin
 
EVILpaintball69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: texas
 has been a member for 10 years
EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
It seems to me that there aren't really any extraneous variables in the question of whether God is real. Either he is, or he is not. Nevertheless, we cannot disprove the existence of anything, and even if we could, the burden of proof would be on you to PROVE God's existence.
I agree actually. I believe in God. You do not. If I had a way to prove God's existance other than what we have been given then I would do so (until then I will use what we have). Same goes for you and your beliefs. I also very much respect the fact that you read the Bible, even if I disagree with your end result.
__________________
Baylor University Paintball
EVILpaintball69 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 PM #581
shark6428
 
 
shark6428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILpaintball69 View Post
Our reason is written out in a book that has withstood all of time. And reason behind logic still leaves room for unknown variables. So I think you may want to read up on the definition of definitive, because as far as the definition goes, it doesnt really leave room for unknown variables. Ill save you the trouble...It means to clarify, or to be the final form of something. So how can you say an idea is in its final form when "logically" the perception of an idea never ends. I am by no means saying that logic is always wrong, but to base your origin off of logic tells me that you have no real answer for the origin of your beliefs. So maybe you hold more faith in something than you think you do eh?
First of all, the Bible is just a book, nothing more. It cannot have withstood all of time because it was written over a period of at least 1600 years by at least 40 authors, supposedly starting with Moses in about 1450 BC. That book contradicts itself repeatedly on dozens of serious issues. Today, people read the Bible and are able to use it to justify just about anything because of these contradictions. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when murderers and thieves and many other criminals commit crimes based on things written in the Bible, things can get back quick.

That's pretty much the point. Without logic and reason, nothing could be proved beyond reasonable doubt. This doesn't necessarily mean that conclusions based on logic and/or reason are always right, but it does mean that they have more ground to stand on than ideas that have little or no reason/logic behind them.

You need a new dictionary, or at least be able to recognize that there are usually more than one definition. Definitive can mean "clearly defined or formulated" as well as "authoritative: of recognized authority or excellence."

I'm not really sure what you mean by "the perception of an idea never ends." Are you saying that regardless of truth, people will continue to believe in what they know to be false? Or that even though something may be false, it can still be believed in?

You yourself just wrote that your reason lies in a book that claims to know all the answers of life and the origin of it, and you tell me to base my life on logic is wrong? Even then, my origin and the origin of my beliefs are entirely different subjects all together. I know exactly where I came from, and there are good theories to how life came to be.

You are confusing the word faith as well. Though it has religious connotations, faith doesn't always have to pertain to a religion. I do have faith in things. I have faith in medicine; I have faith in gravity; faith in certain people. However, I certainly do not have faith in a religion that expects me to believe that everything just came to be because some being wanted it to and did just that without any intermediate steps.
__________________
Michael-Day.net


Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM #582
Flying_Dutchman
 
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
That's strange, not only because my name is Tom, but also because I was going for a Gary Sinise sound.



trippy…

My name is Nate.

Anyway that other thread got deleted I guess? But I read up a little on string theory/ M-theory. One of the basic principles of string theory is that the "strings" function as one-dimensional entities that vibrate at various frequencies and appear as elementary particles like electrons and quarks, correct thusfar?

edit: and **** anyone who says I'm hijacking this thread. You can't hijack a crashed car. I can't believe this thread is still going.
Flying_Dutchman is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 PM #583
Mike.Sen
No.
 
Mike.Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by C MacKN View Post
Like I said I didn't make this thread to start an arguement, I have my beliefs and you have yours. God watches over everyone and it wasn't my cousins time to die. God can put thoughts in your head and give you a sign like that flash that I saw that saved my cousin.
Derr, you asked why did God helped me, it didn't take much from him to do what he did. I am a strong christian and pray everyday and he has his times when he is ready for everyone and he wasn't ready for my cousin. This is Earth not heaven and with that said there is evil. Everyday there is battle between good and evil and everything happens for a reason. Jon, how do I no that it was my God you asked. There is only one God, ya people in other countries claim to worship these other God's but there is only one. I have a question for you Jon, have you ever read the bible?
That's great man, and maybe Derr pushed you a little hard about something so 'personal' (he's a physicist...so...right?), but when it comes right down to it, he's right. It's your justification for your belief, not any kind of proof for God, not anything to bring up to tell Atheists why their wrong. Seriously, in most atheistic contexts, they will think less of you for it. You sound naive. But that doesn't matter for your own purposes.

But, the second you bring your faith into a context like, say, teaching creationism in schools, or, homosexuality and marriage, I will care that you are naive, because then your naivete isn't just restricted to your own experience, but affects us, unjustifiably.
__________________
Τί κοινότατον; Ἐλπίς. Καὶ γὰρ οἳς ἄλλο μηδέν, αὔτη παρέστη.
Mike.Sen is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM #584
akatch79
Queen of the Norse
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Sen View Post
That's great man, and maybe Derr pushed you a little hard about something so 'personal' (he's a physicist...so...right?), but when it comes right down to it, he's right. It's your justification for your belief, not any kind of proof for God, not anything to bring up to tell Atheists why their wrong. Seriously, in most atheistic contexts, they will think less of you for it. You sound naive. But that doesn't matter for your own purposes.

But, the second you bring your faith into a context like, say, teaching creationism in schools, or, homosexuality and marriage, I will care that you are naive, because then your naivete isn't just restricted to your own experience, but affects us, unjustifiably.
A+ post, would read again.
__________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
- Voltaire
A
akatch79 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM #585
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Quote:
But, the second you bring your faith into a context like, say, teaching creationism in schools, or, homosexuality and marriage, I will care that you are naive, because then your naivete isn't just restricted to your own experience, but affects us, unjustifiably.
Yeah, after all, this is satan's world and we have free will to do whatever we want while we're here on earth so stop ruining all our fun damnit! We'll pay the price for all eternity, so can't we just have fun while we're here without you christians getting involved?
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline  
Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM #586
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
...even though I can predict your responses to an alarming degree of accuracy....
really? you seem to be giving yourself more credit than is actually due. You assume that you know me and you assume that you know my responses, but you don't. your presentation of what you think my motives are, is incorrect from the start. but you can feel free to continue to be who you want to be.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 AM #587
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
My name is Nate.

Anyway that other thread got deleted I guess? But I read up a little on string theory/ M-theory. One of the basic principles of string theory is that the "strings" function as one-dimensional entities that vibrate at various frequencies and appear as elementary particles like electrons and quarks, correct thusfar?

edit: and **** anyone who says I'm hijacking this thread. You can't hijack a crashed car. I can't believe this thread is still going.
That's on point Nate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
really? you seem to be giving yourself more credit than is actually due. You assume that you know me and you assume that you know my responses, but you don't. your presentation of what you think my motives are, is incorrect from the start. but you can feel free to continue to be who you want to be.
This post needs less troll.

Seriously, I've given you SOOOOOOOO much slack considering your background and 'expertise' but I'm getting sick of reading your posts so onto the ignore list you go. Goodbye. :waves:
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM #588
Flying_Dutchman
 
 
Flying_Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Do the strings simply function as one dimensional entities or are they actually one dimensional (in the same way light functions as an infinite speed in some equations)?

RP: Your posts are very predictable. I don't know why that's such a hard thing to accept. That has nothing to do with anyone "claiming that they know you," it has to do with your posts following a trend.

Last edited by Flying_Dutchman : 04-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Flying_Dutchman is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump