what are some good tactics, or strategies to use when paintballing

Team Illuminati
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2001, 10:14 PM #2
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Sup-Air Play: Sup-Air is a unique type of field in which all of the bunkers are filled with compressed air. This gives a unique playing style. And a whole new set of tactics, and tips just for Sup-Air play.
Standard Bunkers: Same applies to these bunkers as any other type of bunker in the game of paintball. Just refer down to the ďAll BunkersĒ tips.
Lie Down Bunkers: Be the first one to the bunker, and just post the tapeline. When sliding into these bunkers make sure you donít slide right underneath them to the other side. Once you are in the bunker, remember to keep your head down. If you head pokes out over the top of the bunker, you will be an easy target. Crawl all the way up and down the bunker. Look for angles, and if need be you can take off you pack and push it along. I donít suggest shooting over the top of the bunker, but if need be I guess you have to. You might want to pop off your hopper. Then pop over the top fire the 2-3 shots that would be in your gun and get right back down. If you do this, make sure you have a good elbow so you can quickly replace the hopper back on your marker.
All Bunkers: If you can't quite get a shot on a person, use your gun/arm to push the bunker aside enough to get a shot. Sometimes you can get paint to bounce off of bunkers, and it may either come back at you, or if you use this right, you can snag a person who is behind cover by bouncing the balls off of other sup-air bunkers. Slamming is when you basically just charge at somebodyís bunker and kick it. They will be knocked to the ground and you will have a shot at them. ( Note slamming is illegal in some tournaments). Make sure not to hit the bunker your in. The paint could bounce back and break on you.
Hyperball Play: Hyperball consists of hard long tubes. The tubes are placed in different patterns to create a good field only using the same bunker type over and over again.
Standard Bunkers: Hyperball bunkers provide a unique experience. The bunkers when standing vertical are not very wide. This means there will not be a lot of cover. The bunker is about just as wide in diameter as a normal person. If you donít hug the bunker you may easily be picked off. Usually though, two hyperball bunkers might be right next to each other. This would be a better option then the solo bunker, because it would provide more cover.
Lie Down Bunkers: Be the first one to the bunker, and just post the tapeline. When sliding into these bunkers make sure you donít slide right underneath them to the other side. Once you are in the bunker, remember to keep your head down. If you head pokes out over the top of the bunker, you will be an easy target. Crawl all the way up and down the bunker. Look for angles, and if need be you can take off you pack and push it along. I donít suggest shooting over the top of the bunker, but if need be I guess you have to. You might want to pop off your hopper. Then pop over the top fire the 2-3 shots that would be in your gun and get right back down. If you do this, make sure you have a good elbow so you can quickly replace the hopper back on your marker.
Note: Hyperball is rarely played just by itself. Usually hyperball is used in combination with other type of field set ups.
Woods Play: Woods Play is simply playing in the woods. Your cover is usually a tree or a pile of sticks. This is often used in Rec Ball/Scenario games.
General Tips: Woods play is home to the rec baller. It is the simplest and most basic type of play available. While playing woods ball you can use camouflage to help you blend in. Also, you need to be careful of the bunkers. Natural wood stick bunkers usually have holes in them. This might provide a space for a whole paintball to go through or just enough for splatter. However you might get so much splatter a ref might call you out. What I suggest if you are having a problem where your bunker is being pounded with paint and you are being hit with splatter is to move. Donít wipe the splatter though. You can usually tell that splatter is splatter, but wiped splatter looks just like a wiped hit.
Speedball Play: There are actually many different types of speedball fields, and bunker types. Speedball can also often be a mix of hyperball, woods play, and sup-air type bunkers. There can also be scenario type field set-ups, or common objects set up to be used as bunkers.
All Types Of Play: These tips apply to any game you are going to play in.
Always Move: If you stay in one place to long your opponents will slowly begin to move to get angles on you. You have to move so that your opponents can never get the upper hand.
Communicate: Communication with your teammates will greatly increase your chances of survival. Donít go off on your own, or you will be picked off. Coordinate moves with your teammates, and have them cover you. Ask where the opponents are and how many. The more you know about your opponents, the easier it will be to get them out.
Snap Shooting: Snap shooting is vital to especially the tournament player. Snap shooting is popping out from behind your bunker, firing a quick and controlled 3-7 rounds, and returning back to cover behind your bunker. To aid you in snap shooting use a mark on your bunker to help remind you of what angle you have to come out at to shoot that opponent across from you. Also, before you come out, you can pick up your ROF (rate of fire) by shooting to the side of your bunker where nobody may be. Just make sure you arenít hitting your teammates. Then when you do pop out from behind the bunker, your ROF will already be at the maximum.
Walking The Field: This is only for tournament play, so for all of you non-tournament players, continue on, or read this if you really want to. Walking the field gives you the idea of the setup of the field. You should first start at one end, weave in and out viewing all of the bunkers at a normal walking pace. When you get to the other end stop. Now this is where the thought comes into play. Go to each bunker, figure out if it has: good cover, good angles, can easily move to other bunkers from it, and if it allows you to help your teammates. Get to know every bunker on the field. Also you can plan your first bunker that you will take on each side. This will avoid confusion and give an easy start when you are waiting for the countdown to end.
In Your Bunker: At the start try to get to a bunker about halfway to the opponents side. When behind your bunker, stay close. When you pop out to shoot. Try to reveal as little as possible and snap shoot. Mix it up too. Donít keep on coming out from the same spot. The worst place you can come out from though is the top. You are an easy target if you do that.
Drills: Drills will improve your game. Whether you are a tourney player or not, it canít help to brush up on your skills and show up your friends the next time your out on the field.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:13 PM #3
method84
God

good advice. I prefer woods play with big trreees, little brush and plenty of bunkers but I dont like speedball because it is too fast and I like playing games that are longer and not games that I could trun my back and hit my opponent. Although I have a tournament guna dn most of the people I play with do also, I dont like speedball.
Psycho Ballistics Drop Forward

Back up gun:
Tricked Spyder SE (for sale)
Hammer Pump

OBDO Member #373
Old 05-22-2001, 08:34 PM #4
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Great..........now lets glance at the subject title, back down to your post and.........
Old 05-22-2001, 08:52 PM #5
hothead2

hothead2 is a founding member
method84 totaly agree

i dont like playing speedball either, at my feild they have one speedball course and they always do that one last because its a paintwaster i mean who wants to go home carring paint that will go bad soon anyways. i prefer a mix of bunkers big trees and brush in my feild it provides action while able to move without worring about 15 balls goin past u every time u go out of ur bunker. i also like having buildings and such, and i also like attack defence games they are alway fun.

o ya the topic thing, i say stay in a small group of people that u know and trust 2-5, just to make sure that u can really on those people in the sticky situations. and dont be afraid to retreat if u dont have the upper hand just do a quick retreat make them follow u and get them by suprise. and u dont half to move all the time in wood feilds somethimes not moving letting them go by u and then get them from behind is the best idea.

P.S.--this is a personal tatic i like to do if ur in a bunker or a building with alot of poeple(sometimes happens at recball) and everyone is being aggresive in that bunker or atleast 2 are let them fire u stay low once they get out some of the time they guyz will think everyone is out then u pop up and get them off gaurd (i got 3 people out on one snap shoot like this one time they had no idea i was there and left themselves wide open, they werent to happy that i got them out with my shutter and they had cockers and what not)
ping-pong

Last edited by hothead2 : 05-22-2001 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2001, 08:57 PM #6
method84
God

most important tip I can give is know your team. You guys should have some preset plans and moves before you play and have certain calls that the opposing team might not catch on to. The most important skill is communication. If you and your team cant communicate with eachother then you mine as well take a ticket to the deabox. Work with your teamates. Also, make sure that you dont stay in one place. Always be moving around because if you get pinned down by two people then the chances of you making to the flag have just declined. Always move aorund. If your afraid then dont play paintball...well thats all the tips for today look on a few sites they carry player tips and shotting tips ect.... hey hothead...your selling a lapco barrel for the bushy right?
Psycho Ballistics Drop Forward

Back up gun:
Tricked Spyder SE (for sale)
Hammer Pump

OBDO Member #373
Old 05-22-2001, 09:06 PM #7
hothead2

hothead2 is a founding member
im selling a lapco barrel?? since when!! i wish i had the lapco barrel and the gun i still have to wait about 2-3 weeks for the money to get in to buy this thing...
ping-pong
Old 05-22-2001, 09:42 PM #8
speed_GA
GO MAVS

speed_GA is a founding member
speed_GA plays in the APPA D5 division
speed_GA supports Empire
Well i'm gonna stand up for speedball and hyperball and I play woods and speedball and hyperball. I used to like the woods pretty good, but then it started to get boring. Speedball gives me more of a rush than woods. I still like woods, it just depends on what type of mood i'm in.