PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 AM #1
TaterT
Organized Chaos

TaterT supports Team VICIOUS
What i'm seeing in the BST world of PBnation

I've been a member of nation for almost a year now. I have bought lots of stuff from very legit people here. A recent observation I have noticed recently when searching for marq series guns. I own 3 BL guns, 2k5 timmy, marq 6, and a closer. It seems to be a very small majority are now finding out how good Bob long markers are. The big companies have saturated the paintball market with there guns and now people are finding out the resale price for their marker has dropped upwards to 50% from its original asking price in 1 year alone. So my point is, Bob long markers are not being dumped into the paintball market like the other companies have. Marq series guns hold up in resale value better than other markers.... Just my observation. Your thought on my observation would be greatly appreciated.
TaterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 AM #2
SpyderOWNAGE
Super@PBR

SpyderOWNAGE donated to help Peyton Trent
Marqs are going for $300-$450 used. I bought my Marq for $1,250. That is not holding value.

EDIT: The only paintball guns that hold value are pumps.

www.APD-Direct.com - Arizona's only authorized dealer for the DLX Luxe
Fort Adobe Paintball Complex - Play on Turf

Green/Purple CCM Series 6 Pump + Gear Stolen!

Last edited by SpyderOWNAGE : 01-13-2009 at 02:15 AM.
SpyderOWNAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 AM #3
nightkast939

nightkast939 plays in the APPA D3 division
Yeah you came a member after they dropped in value extrememly. Bought mine at price for 800-900. Marq 7 that is. As previously stated I don't think it held it's resale too well. It's toe and toe with a dm7, ego7, ect....as far as price that is. I'd personally never pick up a marq again. Maybe a vice though I've never owned one.
nightkast939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 AM #4
kizzlesNbits

bought a marq 6 for 400 last summer and i think i can still get around 350 for it

edit: guns are like cars. Why buy a ferrari, when you can buy a hybrid and still get from point A to point B. Guns just need to be consistant and shoot straight...If you can get those 2 things for a low price and used, then why buy a new gun for the same perks
kizzlesNbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 AM #5
nightkast939

nightkast939 plays in the APPA D3 division
Well see this will vary. Since the marq has gone through manufacture price changes people's "thoughts" will vary. The marq started off expensive. I think for the bases of this thread the original msrp should be what is used for comparison. High end electros do not hold a high resale value. It just doesn't work like that. The marq started off in the 1000 dollar range just like all the other ego's and dms and has slowly depreciated. Just because the manufacture's price has be lowered to nothing does not mean they still hold their value. If they did the manufacture would still sale them at 1000+. But their gun was not "good" enough for those who they were marking towards therefor they dropped their price. I can buy a brand new dm7 on ebay for 500 or so I believe it was at the time I viewed it. Does that mean since the dm7's now sale for ~350 that a dm7 doesn't lose resale. I don't think that suits the purpose of this arguement.
nightkast939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 AM #6
morph2k4

has been a member for 10 years
The problem is model revisions that include upgrades that can't be applied retroactively (even newer different body milling count as a value). That means that whenever a ceiling is applied to how much you can "upgrade" your gun (vs whats currently available) via the introduction of a newer model, the actual (as opposed to monetary) value will decline to a lower plateu. People try to predict when these actual value plateus will occur, and they scale the monetary value for which they sell their guns based on how close they are to the release.

So what does that mean? It means theres a new marq thats supposed to drop soon, so people are devalueing their stuff in advance. That way,they can sell it before the flood of sales when the new marq is released.

Ego's and DM's have established a standard scale for yearly release devaluation (based on their general starting price), and other highends that don't drop on an annual basis (like the marq series) devalue at a different rate (based on arbitrary release dates). Its taken longer then a year, but we've reached the ****ty part of that devaluation curve for the time being.

TL;DR
As long as the marq series is in fact a "series", they will devalue in a cascading manner from release to release, possibly at a somewhat standard 2 year loop (alternating with redesigning the intimidator series).
morph2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 AM #7
Manu#12
B-Eastside

Manu#12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Manu#12 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
€700 OBO is what i paid my RL LE marq 7 , fully upgraded ( dye barrel , oled tadao yakusa board , cp on off )

i still consider that was a good deal ( it must be 1of1 in my country ) and i could have resold it 10 times at a higher price

now , IMO , upgrades don't bring that much value to guns nowadays , but rarity does ( like Lazer engraved guns , or limited editions , or team guns ,i think they are those with which one does not loose much money )
Manu#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 AM #8
jshaft37

also note that the msrp on the guns have dropped significantly as a starting point. you can buy a rapper from bob long direct for $700 and a closer exp for 900. at one point, that closer would have been $1500+ to get the same specs as the exp.
jshaft37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM #9
nickdude
well do ya punk?

Annual Supporting Member
nickdude donated to help Peyton Trent
nickdude is playing at Living Legends III
nickdude is playing at Living Legends V
nickdude supports DLX Technology
Feeding frenzy

I haven't been on this to long but it seems like a feeding frenzy since the economy started to go down the crapper. Hardly seems that people are buying straight out but offering more in trade. 08 egos are going for 650! 09's I have seen for 1000. It seems that even though the new marq hasn't been released we are suffering from this mentality that if egos fall so should everything else. Used Vices seem to have hit the 500 mark, at least that isn't 50%!

Just try and offer a Marq in trade to an Ego owner and see how much they want you to add.

It's a mob mentality on these forums and it just seems to get worse. I would like to know where I could get 50% off a cars retail price in under a year of use?
I know guns aren't the same as cars but I think it is a fair comparison. Not everything out there is disposable.

Go look at pumps and you will find that they don't suffer the same fluctuations mainly because they don't constantly update their products.

I didn't buy a marker in hopes of selling it I was just hoping that I wouldn't take a beating if I tried to.

Valken * Quickshot * Gog/Luxe * Guerrilla Air * TechT * Xtreme Dreamz * Fog Doc* Deadlywind
Media partners Help keep Paintball Alive * CatShack Reports
LUXE MOBClone GT Militia
nickdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:21 AM #10
jshaft37

anything that i don't want to trade i've been putting on ebay. all you get are trade offers and lowballs on pbn. i've found that stuff typically sells for a little more on ebay vs. pbn, and its sold in 5 days, no hassle.
jshaft37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 AM #11
paintballer187
187PB.COM

Annual Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a Moderator
paintballer187 is a Supporting Member
paintballer187 is a founding member
paintballer187 is BST Legit
paintballer187 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaft37 View Post

anything that i don't want to trade i've been putting on ebay. all you get are trade offers and lowballs on pbn. i've found that stuff typically sells for a little more on ebay vs. pbn, and its sold in 5 days, no hassle.
I have also found my way back to ebay to get some cash sales. Although I did recently sell 3 guns on PBN for cash, some might consider the money I took to little though.

Sometimes I think people are to eager to get rid of their stuff in favor of something they think is better. I've been shooting the same dragon timmy since 03 and even though I've had different guns it still keeps up. I lost the fear of lower resale when I realized I'd have the same problem no matter what gun I bought and I didn't want to continually trade my gun plus cash to get something "better". In the long run I may have lost a few dollars on resale but I didn't waste several hundred try to keep a high value gun.
paintballer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:10 AM #12
TaterT
Organized Chaos

TaterT supports Team VICIOUS
My point for making this post is I have found out that Marq series markers most people are wanting to buy,trade, or sale there other markers after seeing what the marqs are capable of doing with less maintenance. I know personally in my area of northern indiana, there are alot of Bob Long users that won't shoot anything else. Then there is the other crowd of younger players who want the newest and greatest markers on the market. I can out shoot these guys on any day with my marqs.
TaterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 AM #13
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

The only way you are going to get cash for your gun is Ebay. Due to all the WTB Pawn Shops, those prices are all people offer here.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM #14
OP KID

it does suck to see marqs goin away for half of what they were about a year ago but to be honest i love my closer and i think it will put up a fight with any gun years down the road, cuz i dont see wat else they can majorly improve on a paintball gun. i also have a 2k4 alias and i got it from a naughty dog so its been through some paint and sometimes it works better than the marqs and protos at my home field. no matter wat the value is down the road i couldnt see myself selling either of my guns for less than 900. even tho timmys are worth like 300 lol. thats just how good theyve done for me and how good they shoot. bob long will always be here no matter what and i trust any of his guns no matter the value.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post57454425
OP KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 AM #15
TcJayLee
Don't Judge Me Monkey....

I know what you mean. I spent 1425 on my Russian and 1000 on my closer and now their worth nothing in cash value, but true Bob Long enthusiasts know that value doesnt have anything to do with the quality and performance of these markers. This will give a chance for people who have never shot Bob Long to be able to afford these great markers and make it better for BOb Long in the long run.

Keep paintball alive, don't be a douche.
TcJayLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 AM #16
Manu#12
B-Eastside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcJayLee View Post
true Bob Long enthusiasts know that value doesnt have anything to do with the quality and performance of these markers. This will give a chance for people who have never shot Bob Long to be able to afford these great markers and make it better for BOb Long in the long run.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM #17
OP KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcJayLee View Post
I know what you mean. I spent 1425 on my Russian and 1000 on my closer and now their worth nothing in cash value, but true Bob Long enthusiasts know that value doesnt have anything to do with the quality and performance of these markers. This will give a chance for people who have never shot Bob Long to be able to afford these great markers and make it better for BOb Long in the long run.
well put. im trying to find a purple closer cuz i want another one and it helps that the prices are going down lol

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post57454425
OP KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM #18
skylermertz
Army- 19K

i think lower resale has to do with all the sponsorships that major paintball companies are giving out. bob long really only sponsors russian legion while planet eclipse and dye are sponsoring some of the top teams in paintball. Dynasty on the otherhand shoots shockers and everyone knows shockers are horrible guns to start off with. but anyway little kids want the guns of their favorite team and when one team whens a world cup the price on the gun they used will go up while all the other teams who finished last have lower value guns.

just my 2 cents
skylermertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM #19
eyeownyu
ryan

eyeownyu plays in the APPA D3 division
well i nkow everyone is sad to see there guns sell for alot less, but just think about 3 years ago, my dm6 that i have would have cost 1200 dollars. guess what now you can get one for 300 bucks! so just stay a few years behind this new "technology" if you can call it that and your set! in a few years dm9's will be 400 bucks, i will use this to my advantage.

"It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that defines who you are." ~ teh_masterer
Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ~Tyler Durden
San Diego Pirates
VSB.
eyeownyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:56 AM #20
poker_jake85
Blue Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeownyu View Post
well i nkow everyone is sad to see there guns sell for alot less, but just think about 3 years ago, my dm6 that i have would have cost 1200 dollars. guess what now you can get one for 300 bucks! so just stay a few years behind this new "technology" if you can call it that and your set! in a few years dm9's will be 400 bucks, i will use this to my advantage.
Could't have said it better myself. I'm suprised more people actually pay a thousand and some bucks for a marker that hasnt change except weight.
-------VS2-------

Last edited by poker_jake85 : 01-15-2009 at 01:59 AM.
poker_jake85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 AM #21
Manu#12
B-Eastside

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylermertz View Post
Dynasty on the otherhand shoots shockers and everyone knows shockers are horrible guns to start off with.
they are shooting LUXE , there are worst guns to start off with. ( a bit off topic but as for the shockers , i paid my like new RL fully upgraded $ 500 obo , and it is worth it , so reliable , never broke down on me , never chopped a ball )