PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM #1
Goggles

Annual Supporting Member
Changing the way marker companies spend money

Anyone else think that all the time and money spent on R&D for guns could be put elsewhere and have a bigger impact on the sport? If there wasnt a new ego9 Dm9 and whatever else there could be an end to the constant money spending for no upgrades. The companies making these guns could spend money on say... an all dye sponsored event or something.

These are just ideas to get the ball rolling, hopefully this will result in a good discussion but it seems retarded that guns aren't getting better yet there are new ones out every year.

originally posted by $acceleration$ "what the hell hows it your fault... its called a sideWALK not a sideRIDE-A-BIKE"

My feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post22315597
Goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM #2
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Sure, they could stop making a new gun every year. But how else will they make money to spend on other endeavors?
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM #3
Goggles

Annual Supporting Member
The way that line of thinking goes you would say that Microsoft isnt making any money off the xbox 360 because its a few years old... These new guns aren't improvements. It is an incredibly destructive economy we have in paintball. People who buy new guns every year eventually open their eyes to the massive amounts of cash being thrown away and quit the sport. Sure they are idiots but the marker companies encourage it.

Top of the line markers need to stay at the top for more than a year...

originally posted by $acceleration$ "what the hell hows it your fault... its called a sideWALK not a sideRIDE-A-BIKE"

Last edited by Goggles : 01-07-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM #4
cockerpunk (Banned)
Show Me the Data

i think companies actually need to spend money on RnD. not RnD into new products, but what is actually happening inside a paintball gun.

becuase its pretty fair to say that even the manufactures of paintball products don't know **** about paintball.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM #5
Goggles

Annual Supporting Member
If they would actually make a change the R&d would be worth it sure.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM #6
Ghost Reaper

Like mentioned above, if they do not have marker sales/ upgrades sales then there would be no way to pay for sponsored events.

I am all for one new model oh every 3-4 years. It is just ridiculous how kids/adults spend $1400 on a brand new whatever. Seriously WTF is wrong with you? I love having the latest and greatest but hell that is just stupid. Within a year it's worth half or less. Maybe this is because I have a lot of other hobbies but watch what you invest in, hell most of us who have way to much gear could have bought a pallet or two of paint by now with that money. I don't buy uber new high end gear for something that I know will loose a lot of value in a sport period of time.
Ghost Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM #7
Goggles

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Reaper View Post
Like mentioned above, if they do not have marker sales/ upgrades sales then there would be no way to pay for sponsored events.

I am all for one new model oh every 3-4 years. It is just ridiculous how kids/adults spend $1400 on a brand new whatever. Seriously WTF is wrong with you? I love having the latest and greatest but hell that is just stupid. Within a year it's worth half or less. Maybe this is because I have a lot of other hobbies but watch what you invest in, hell most of us who have way to much gear could have bought a pallet or two of paint by now with that money. I don't buy uber new high end gear for something that I know will loose a lot of value in a sport period of time.
This is what im talking about. I don't mean never put out new guns but just chill the hell out with the guns. One every year is too much. Its the main reason paintball gear holds no value, don't let anyone fool you its not the wear and tear on the gun its that the kiddies view it as a bad gun once a newer one is released.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM #8
Schtuff
Hippy

Schtuff is playing at Living Legends III
Schtuff owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Schtuff supports Team VICIOUS
Schtuff is for the Gunfight
I agree with cockerpunk, i think more should be put into RnD, i have a different reason though, dont get me wrong, his is completely valid. I think it should be put in to bring in a strong level of innovation, what you guys are asking here is to kill innovation in the sport. IMO
Schtuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM #9
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuff View Post
I agree with cockerpunk, i think more should be put into RnD, i have a different reason though, dont get me wrong, his is completely valid. I think it should be put in to bring in a strong level of innovation, what you guys are asking here is to kill innovation in the sport. IMO

which is kind of what he stated...... unless there is more.

Having a new gun each year of the same model is quite ridiculous. Having 1 or 2 models and alternating with improvements, not just changes every so often will keep paintball tech up to speed.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:07 PM #10
cockerpunk (Banned)
Show Me the Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuff View Post
not so much innovation in product design. but fundamental truths of paintball need to be looked at.

its ridiculous that after almost 25 year no one actually shot 10,000 rounds to find out if overboring does really prevent barrel breaks.

its absurd.

in one afternoon, we did more research, and more useful research then any other paintball company since AGD. and we dont even get paid to do this crap.

its just stupid.

image if no one had tested the effect clock speed of a micro processor had on processing power in computers?

PCs have been around 25 years, and you dont see a couple of guys in there garage not even working for a company in the industry, doing better and more useful research then the industry itself.

its just mindboggling how stupid this industry is. gun designers, for the most part (there are a few notable exceptions), dont know any more then the 16 year old kids who shoot there guns.

punkworks, and the work me and bryce do is purely out of frustration that NO ONE has ever stepped up to the plate and examined these SIMPLE, COMMON, BASIC issues people have when choosing gear.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM #11
bronc.v2 (Banned)
FEP Sports

You would be surprised, very little money actually goes into R&D. I mean sure they pay a designer or designers, but other then that it's not like they are dumping thousands of dollars into some scientific lab somewhere.

99% of the work is done on computers with CAD software and computer modeling now, so a lot of the trial and error with prototypes is gone. Computers help take 90% of the guess work out of it, so when something new is made, it's almost ready to go from the get go.

KEE has Simon and a couple other people, Dye has what, 2 or 3 people (E-rob, Egi, Billy)? The vast majority of their money is sunk into making the actual products and marketing them.

That's why we're not seeing any significant advances in the science of our sport, like Cockpunk stated. Not since AGD has any company put a lot of time into real R&D into paintball fundamentals.
bronc.v2 is offline   Reply With Quote