Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 AM #1
guitarguy51

So paintball scopes or red dots get ruined after shot?

Anyone been shot in their scope or red dot? was wondering how they hold up
guitarguy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Well, I've been lucky that nothing I've ever used managed to take a direct hit to a fragile spot yet, but do remember that anything that goes on a field WILL get hit eventually. Best to use something cheap enough to be considered partially disposable. I wouldn't bring out a $1000 Leopold or $500 EOTech on the field. Hit Walmart and grab the cheapest thing that fits your needs so you don't have to worry about it.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:46 PM #3
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Probably best not to invest in a red dot sight or scope at all for paintball.

If you want to emulate real world, soldiers room clearing use the point and shoot method when running through shoothouses. This is about the range, a paintball would be somewhat "realistic". A scope would be helpful anywhere beyond 400m with an m4 carbine. A paintball is never going to go that far. It is already too easy to take advantage of someone who has tunnel vision who doesn't have optics, why would you want to narrow your vision down further. I can shoot out someone quicker who has a scope, at the distance they would be aiming at me by judgement alone. There are tricks to being super accurate long range, but saying more would give too much away. People think my marker is more accurate than theirs, but I just know how to aim.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 PM #4
zcason
Shamrock

Annual Supporting Member
zcason is playing at Living Legends IX
zcason is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
zcason owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
zcason supports Ninja Paintball
I have yet to have anything hit my red dot. If you are seriously concerned about it ANS sells a "shield" for scopes.
zcason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 AM #5
klisejo

I've always used cheaper sights that would be ok to trash. But for $12-15 they make a lens shield that fits on weaver rails, can get it on amazon.
klisejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM #6
jonpeto

I don't think scopes are very practical, but I love having a red dot. I have a Phenom and utilize a red dot in my current setup. I find it very helpful, especially when getting on target first can make a difference. To make the red dot practical, I've got an adjustable riser:

http://www.ansgear.com/Tiberius_Arms...armfsrrail.htm

With the riser it's dead on.

I've gone through two red dots so far. The first was a Tiberus Arms. It's fairly cheap--less than $40. At first it worked great, but after a couple of game days it stopped working. I don't know why. It could have been the shock of the marker. Or maybe it was the paint splatter--too much moisture?

The second red dot was off brand from ANS gear. This one held up for over a year. This last summer my Phenom fell off my tailgate and landed straight on the sight. This shattered the sight.

I really like having a red dot and I think it does give me an advantage--I play mostly in the woods or outlaw ball. But now, I'm looking to purchase a third red dot.

In the end, it's possible to get a red dot that can hold up to paintball for about $40-$60--just don't drop your marker like I did.

Last edited by jonpeto : 01-07-2016 at 10:16 PM.
jonpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:27 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpeto View Post
The second red dot was off brand from ANS gear. This one held up for over a year. This last summer my Phenom fell off my tailgate and landed straight on the sight. This shattered the sight.
Oh, I've definitely lost more gear to "falls from tailgate" than I ever have from hits on the field.

For some reason things always fall fragile side down when they fall of the back of a truck.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM #8
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
I ran a core red dot for years, It took multiple hits to the lens and didn't break, but, after about a dozen or so hits, I cleaned it off and noticed one side was totally cracked. I super glued it, and used it again for another year, and it cracked again, and I glued it again.

I still have it but stopped using scopes/sights shortly after that.

They are typically a new players toy, once you have shot thousands and thousands of paintballs you don't need red dots or scopes...

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:20 PM #9
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Armson OEG sights are more or less impervious to paintball impacts from the front and sides.
Mine has taken several direct hits over the years.
I would imagine that the various Armson clones out there like the 32Degrees Magnum and DYE iZon are similarly protected.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM #10
JordanPischke
Canadian Baller

Annual Supporting Member
JordanPischke supports Ninja Paintball
JordanPischke supports Empire
I used to have an acog scope on my 98 custom and it got hit once directly and that was it for it. It messed up the glass inside and it is really lost and actually bounces forward and backward as you move/shoot. I ended up taking it off and tossing it out. It was just a cheap scope off eBay though.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 PM #11
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Big Papa Pink supports Ninja Paintball
Red dots are helpful and those I have used in the past( both tube and tubeless) have taken multiple hits without issue.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:24 PM #12
nomnon

I've used eotech knockoffs with no problem for years. Bought it off eBay.
nomnon is offline   Reply With Quote