PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM #1
the stuntman
Team Lockdown

the stuntman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Exclamation Hot Weather Safety

I just finished a 2 day scenario event where the temperature reached a brain melting 110 degrees on saturday...dehydration, heat exhaustion, & heat stroke were very real dangers. Although there were a few close calls, there were no serious issues regarding players staying healthy in the heat.
Why? Everyone took extra measures to prevent problems - the producer & generals kept rotating players off the field for hydration breaks & cool-downs in a nearby river, CPs were well stocked with water (which players were REQUIRED to pound when checking in...Our general made it a rule that he wouldn't even talk to anyone who didnt have a bottle of water in their hand), and most of all players watched out for each other on & off the field. Phrases like "You need any more water?" and "Whens the last time you jumped in the river?" were repeated like a broken record all day long by everyone, everywhere. The result - people were still uncomfortable, but there were no serious incidents & no one needed an ambulence.

So in addition to drinking plenty of water (2 bottles of water for each bottle of sports drink - Gatorade by itself isnt enough), I have to say that the single best thing players can do to prevent heat related injuries to to WATCH EACH OTHERS BACKS. When you see someone who looks shaky or dazed, stop what you're doing & assist them off the field (even if they dont want help - this is important, get a ref to assist if needed) & get them in a cool place & something to drink. We take care of ourselves by taking care of each other...and no flag or mission card is worth losing someone to heat stroke.

Symptoms to watch for:
- sweating stops
- shaky legs
- nausea
- difficulty speaking
- dark urine
- dizzyness

If you see ANY of these symptoms, GET OFF THE FIELD IMMEDIATELY and seek assistance from field staff.
STAY COOL, STAY HYDRATED, STAY SAFE !!
the stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:58 PM #2
proto_prime

i disagree

heat stroke is worse than that
proto_prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:01 PM #3
Ringwood1237

Thanks, Stuntman. I don't think a lot of people really take heat into consideration when planning to go play paintball.
"You know... You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan." But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."

Permanent brother with: paintballfreak45_2
Ringwood1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM #4
WVprankster
The Wordsmith

has been a member for 10 years
WVprankster plays in the PSP
WVprankster plays in the APPA D4 division
With so much clothing on, it's easy to forget that a person doesn't just sweat from their forehead.

Also- From some (very serious) personal experience- A person suffering from heatstroke may insist that nothing is wrong. That person is an idiot, and (if the rest of the symptoms are present) needs medical attention.

Like me, or any of my posts? Then you like my team. So go to Facebook (this site'll be huge someday...just you wait) and "like" them:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp#!/Pi...AmericanHeroes #13
WVprankster is offline   Reply With Quote