Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 AM #1
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
SC - Paintball Charleston Discussion

This thread was automatically created for discussion about Paintball Charleston. For more information about this field, or to find other fields near you, visit the Paintball Charleston listing in the PbNation Field & Store section.
SYSTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM #2
TooPoorToAfford

This is my field dawg
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM #3
DanoZ34
Book'em Dano

For real this play rocks.
DanoZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM #4
cbus_baller
schwenk

whats the deal with their speedball situation?

Green and Black Ego 8
cbus_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM #5
a2nadam
adam zhu

a2nadam plays in the PSP
a2nadam is an NCPA player
a2nadam plays in the APPA D4 division
there is no speedball situation.

many great players have grown up playing in the woods at this field.
a2nadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 AM #6
tac8mso

Yes there is speedball at Paintball Charleston.Private group rates are available.Call (843)552-1115 for info.

I bunk'ed a tank in the village.
tac8mso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM #7
jlfx64

has been a member for 10 years
I am a retired tournament player that moved to this area 2 years ago. I have decided to get back into paintball on a recreational basis. You can probably imagine my disappointment at what I dug up when researching where to play local speedball. It seems hard to believe that a city the size of Charleston can’t support a single speedball field and that local players must travel a minimum of two hours to get a consistent game. From what I have been able to piece together from this forum and Paintball Charleston's forum, the owners have made efforts to meet this demand, but end up continuously suspending speedball because people won’t show up to play. Meanwhile, there seems to be enough players in the area complaining who want to play speedball at least once a month. Are there some back stories here or other information that I wouldn’t be able to find on a forum that would explain the apparent contradiction? If not, is there an explanation for the apparent contradiction?

That being said, I have a few points and suggestions I would like to make. Please keep in mind that I am new to this field, so if I suggest or say something that has already been said or suggested, please be gentle!

-Why not make speedball FPO or charge a fee for BYOP? Speedball has a vast economic advantage to woodsball in the volume of paint used to play each and the duration of the time taken to use it. (This is also why speedballers can’t be expected to show up as regularly as woodsballers, it can get excessively expensive!) By having a BYOP policy, it seems you are limiting the income driver with the most bottom line potential for speedball.

-Why can’t games of speedball be played in rotation with games of woodsball? I understand that some additional prep labor may be required to set up the airball field, but I would think that cost would be minimal over the course of an operating weekend. This may encourage some of the woodsballers to jump in a game or two of speedball which may lead to money spent on speedball gear (most notably, markers) and more paint. You will also be able to utilize one reffing crew to take care of both fields. Given the time disparities for each game, you could run a schedule of 3 speed to 1 woods, or some variation like that. If there aren’t a minimum number of players who want to play speedball in one rotation, then you skip the 3 speedball games until you get enough who do want to play. Now, the players are determining when speedball is played, not management. Another way to say this; players can’t complain about lack of speedball if there aren’t enough players there to play it.

-I would suggest trying to find a speedball schedule that will work. I have seen that there was once a day each week, then a day twice a month. If these schedules don’t produce the desired volume, then try to find a different schedule. Once a month, once every two months, etc. The only downside I see to this method is you may lose some hardcore speedballers who want to play on a more frequent basis.

Regardless if any of these suggestions are considered (or if they have already been considered or discarded) an obvious demand for speedball exists in Charleston and the surrounding areas. Since significant capital investments have already been made to the field in the form of grading, netting, and bunkers and there is some annual expense associated with the field like upkeep, taxes, and insurance, it seems that money is being left on the table by not fully exploring ways to incorporate speedball into your business model.

PS I tried to post this on the forum at PB Charleston, but apparently I don't have permission to post?
jlfx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM #8
cbus_baller
schwenk

i am home now but attend school at The Citadel and am more then willing to work with other tourny or rec speedballers in the charleston area to get some speedball started closer to charleston. if anyone in interested shoot me a pm and maybe we start talking about getting this going in the year to come.

Green and Black Ego 8
Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM #9
elcid2010

will the field be open memorial day
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM #10
SCBaller02
Chucktown!

SCBaller02 supports Cereal Killerz 2
not sure, give the field a call tomorrow around noon. 8435521115
Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 PM #11
ShotOnSight

Annual Supporting Member
Hows the temperature up in Chucktown been these past few weeks ? Im looking to get back into the sport/PB-Charleston again after a year long hiatus
ShotOnSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 PM #12
SCBaller02
Chucktown!

we had a little cold spell last week.. but it's back to the regular humid temps.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM #13
kessen

When is the next scenario for Paintball of Charleston. The Zombie scenario was fun!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM #14
D_coldfire

Paintball of charleston is a great field, with many fields to play on, like the village, omaha, and the castle.i do wish they had an inflatable x-ball field. that would be cool!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM #15
cbus_baller
schwenk

finally got a chance to play here today and i would give it an A and highly recommend it for any woods ballers players looking to play on some really sweet fields. I still dont understand how this place is not supporting any speedball...from what i understand if they put up a decent field they would be the only place within about 2 hours which i fell would bring in a large number of people. they already get a solid number of groups and rec ballers there, but more people can never be bad for our sport. they also already have the nets and about half a field so it really wouldnt take much work to get things going.

Green and Black Ego 8
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM #16
OsW
DM6 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx64 View Post
I am a retired tournament player that moved to this area 2 years ago. I have decided to get back into paintball on a recreational basis. You can probably imagine my disappointment at what I dug up when researching where to play local speedball. It seems hard to believe that a city the size of Charleston can’t support a single speedball field and that local players must travel a minimum of two hours to get a consistent game. From what I have been able to piece together from this forum and Paintball Charleston's forum, the owners have made efforts to meet this demand, but end up continuously suspending speedball because people won’t show up to play. Meanwhile, there seems to be enough players in the area complaining who want to play speedball at least once a month. Are there some back stories here or other information that I wouldn’t be able to find on a forum that would explain the apparent contradiction? If not, is there an explanation for the apparent contradiction?

That being said, I have a few points and suggestions I would like to make. Please keep in mind that I am new to this field, so if I suggest or say something that has already been said or suggested, please be gentle!

-Why not make speedball FPO or charge a fee for BYOP? Speedball has a vast economic advantage to woodsball in the volume of paint used to play each and the duration of the time taken to use it. (This is also why speedballers can’t be expected to show up as regularly as woodsballers, it can get excessively expensive!) By having a BYOP policy, it seems you are limiting the income driver with the most bottom line potential for speedball.

-Why can’t games of speedball be played in rotation with games of woodsball? I understand that some additional prep labor may be required to set up the airball field, but I would think that cost would be minimal over the course of an operating weekend. This may encourage some of the woodsballers to jump in a game or two of speedball which may lead to money spent on speedball gear (most notably, markers) and more paint. You will also be able to utilize one reffing crew to take care of both fields. Given the time disparities for each game, you could run a schedule of 3 speed to 1 woods, or some variation like that. If there aren’t a minimum number of players who want to play speedball in one rotation, then you skip the 3 speedball games until you get enough who do want to play. Now, the players are determining when speedball is played, not management. Another way to say this; players can’t complain about lack of speedball if there aren’t enough players there to play it.

-I would suggest trying to find a speedball schedule that will work. I have seen that there was once a day each week, then a day twice a month. If these schedules don’t produce the desired volume, then try to find a different schedule. Once a month, once every two months, etc. The only downside I see to this method is you may lose some hardcore speedballers who want to play on a more frequent basis.

Regardless if any of these suggestions are considered (or if they have already been considered or discarded) an obvious demand for speedball exists in Charleston and the surrounding areas. Since significant capital investments have already been made to the field in the form of grading, netting, and bunkers and there is some annual expense associated with the field like upkeep, taxes, and insurance, it seems that money is being left on the table by not fully exploring ways to incorporate speedball into your business model.

PS I tried to post this on the forum at PB Charleston, but apparently I don't have permission to post?
We tryed this in the past but with not mutch luck. Many players complain about no speedball (includeing me ) but most of us cant make it out to the field on sunday. Speedball wont be played on a saterday unless there are enough reffs for reckball and or you get a private party this is because most of our players play on saterday. We tryed i think it was tuesday night speedball and it worked for a month or so and then people stoped comeing due to work and other reasons, next was sunday speedball that gained about 20 players when first started deminishing to about 3 when it all ended. As skeeter ( one of the field owners) said speedball was demanded but after a yl people just stoped comeing and the players that play there on a regular bassis didnt like the fact that there membership didnt include speedball days (i beleave thats quoted to the best of my knowlage) please excuse my spelling errors thats about all i can remember of my 7 years of playing there.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:40 PM #17
cbus_baller
schwenk

why would the field not just be up during open play so if there are people who want to use it have that option?

Green and Black Ego 8
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 PM #18
a2nadam
adam zhu

a2nadam plays in the PSP
a2nadam is an NCPA player
a2nadam plays in the APPA D4 division
not worth them taking the trouble to blow the thing up and staff it.
a2nadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:12 AM #19
cbus_baller
schwenk

i thought there were about 20 people there on sunday when it first started? thats not worth the little time it takes to set it up and throw a ref on it to blow the horn? Im sure that of there was a good field there people would come if you got the word out.

Green and Black Ego 8
Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 AM #20
SCBaller02
Chucktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbus_baller View Post
i thought there were about 20 people there on sunday when it first started? thats not worth the little time it takes to set it up and throw a ref on it to blow the horn? Im sure that of there was a good field there people would come if you got the word out.
20 people the first sunday, 10 people the next sunday, 5 people the third.. etc. etc. everyone complains about not having speedball, yet whenever they start it back up they only come out once or twice then say forget it. the responsibility of getting action on the field lays more on the players then the field owners. If everyone is only good for doing speedball once a month, we need to let brain & skeeter know that.

then comes another issue of the field not being up to specs, so for a team practice it's just really practicing on shooting people & having a fun day, you won't be practicing a format that you play in a tournament series(which doesnt allow local teams to invite other teams from around the area to come scrimmage)
Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 PM #21
cbus_baller
schwenk

i just find it hard to believe that if PBC is the closest place in about an hour and a half radius that they are not people willing to come practice there if they had a good place to play. I am from the mid west and just go to school here so i was never here when they tried to start stuff in the past so i could be wrong about everything but i dont know. thanks for all the information.

Green and Black Ego 8
ReplyRegional Ups