response #19

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. L4
4. yes
6. The setup, points system,prizes
7. nothing, it was all good
8. i like the talk of a all star game. like 5v5, keep the level restrictions but how would you decide like east and west.
9. Yea mabye more in ok,
11. Im ok with it
12. Yes
13. Yes
14. Yes. Preimum rules
15. add pump leauge???mabye 3man. probly not alot of intreast but just throwing things around
MPS_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 PM #23
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #20

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. l4
4. yes
6. We got to actually play a field with a snake and dorito side.
7. The paint checks ref called me out on a bounce
8. The field layouts and The Electric gun but not electric hopper. I think we should be able to play a field with a snake and stuff and be able to use both electric mark and hopper just no ramping.
9. Yes
11. Im okay with it
12. Yes
Old 12-17-2008, 01:37 PM #24
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #21

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. L4
4. Yes
5. The only reason we would consider not playing is if L-4 gets totally hosed on prizes!
6. We enjoyed all the new people we got to meet and the experience of playing teams of different skill levels.
7. NOt much we had a good time at all the events I know our first event in OKC/Choctaw we got a bad call but it happens. I just know now to complain and have it brought to you or the Ultimate Ref before I sign anything. Getting a response from a head ref of "nothin I can do about it now" was total BS!
8. Still thinking on this one.
9. I know alot of us OK boys will gripe about the driving but when no OK fields are stepping up to host it sucks for us.
11. I haven't seen the new prices yet so if you can tell me where they are at i would get back to you on this.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM #25
MidwestPball7

get rid of sandbag teams that go through and swipe the MPS series... learn to turn down these teams and or make them play up a level, and many more teams will join MPS
MidwestPball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM #26
BigJT
Elitesportspb.com

BigJT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BigJT supports Team VICIOUS
BigJT supports Pev's Paintball
Can u comment on who u think is sandbagging? Because I personally do not know of any?
PLANET ECLIPSE- RPS-EMPIRE- MONSTER
BigJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM #27
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

I agree with you Jordan. I would like specific team names or player names who you think is sandbagging.

I do a lot of research on players making sure they qualify for the level they are wanting to play in. Every once in a while, I will get a player wanting to play down and I take each request on a case by case basis. I look at what that player has played in and what he placed. I look at the team mates that the player is wanting to play with, etc. Then I make my decision on a CONDITIONAL basis. That condition is, if that player plays down a level and places, he can't play that level again.

I try to keep things fair as much as I can. Everyone once in a while a player will slip through the cracks and if that happens, I need you (the players) help to identify these individuals so I can prevent things from happening again.

Once i get caught up on things, I'm going to reply to each of these comments you players left on the questionnaires. I agree with some comments, but there are a few I don't agree with.

More later.

DAn
Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM #28
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #22

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. L2 and L1
4. yes
6. well-established, good paint, ramping,
7. Facilities. Perhaps try to force fields to update their fields and facilities to top quality for standardized play. A full set of up-to-date bunkers on regulation sized fields would be ideal, but difficult because fields don't want to make that kind of investment. Idea: perhaps promise the fields X number of events hosted at their fields over Y # of seasons if they are able to provide ideal playing conditions. Fine them if they promise and cannot uphold. For example "we will have 2 events per season at your field for 3 seasons if you can provide a regulation xball field for competition". The numbers would have to be worked out so that it would be in the fields' favor monetarily, of course.
8. See above.
9. yes
11. Cheapest entry possible with best prizes possible is the obvious answer, but do what works.
12. These classifications seem solid. No complaints.
13. Don't think you should do the bonus points anymore
14. Paint was good quality, but cheaper is always better!
15. Not much left to say for me. My comment on #7 i feel is most important, and keep making the l1 prizes better (they did get alot better over the course of last season)
Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM #29
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #23

Quote:
1. --
2. Yeah, I've played in every event in the last two years except for one.
3. l4
4. Yeah, but I don't know how many. Probably just the ones in Kansas for now. At least until we get used to playing in level 3.
6. How cool and nice 95 percent everyone is. There isn't a lot of drama. The events were always a lot of fun, no matter how bad we played
7. I didn't like how the begginning of some of the events started. Once things got going, it was fine. But the fields were hardly aired up and they wouldn't do it until the games about started. Then It was like pulling teeth to get some of the reffs to air bunkers up when they started to get flat.
8. Maybe in Level 4, if a team wins two events, have them move up instead of just killing the rest of the beginners the rest of the year. Its happened the last two years where one team won all but one event they played in. If I remember right, the same happened the year before that.
9. Yeah, I am
11. Yeah, the price increase is fine. Its not to bad were teams can't afford to go.
12. Sounds good to me.
13. I think the bonus points are a great idea. It keeps teams coming if they want to have a chance of finishing in the top places and it rewards the teams that sacrafice and make all the events.
14. The paint was great all year long. The cheap stuff was sometimes dimpleda and bouced alot, but thats what you get with cheap stuff.
15. I really enjoy the series and you do a great job running it. I hope this year will be a lot less stressful for you and that you get to enjoy it more than last year.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM #30
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #24

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. l3
4. yes
6. I like how positive the environment is at MPS events. Having a major sponsor like KEE is pretty cool.
7. I guess the only thing I don't like or don't prefer is when hosting fields have the tournament layout set up for practice the weekend before.
8. yes
10. yes
11. yes
12. yes
13. yes
14. Paint was good and so were the prices.
15. MPS is the best!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM #31
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #25

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. l4
4. y
6. Great series..Locations, prizes
7. nothing really
8. Teams called b-4 games..
9. yes
11. yes
12. yes. I kind of like it the way it is.. If a team has a open player they should move up to open class
13. if it had no effect then why do it??
14. yes
Old 12-17-2008, 06:10 PM #32
MPS_Dan
Midwest Paintball Series

response #26

Quote:
1. --
2. yes
3. l2
4. Yes we are planning to try and play all of them in 2009
6. Best thing is the competition and playing teams that in actuallity are better than us. I dont really care about the win although I like it, I care more about playing the hardest I can.
7. My least favorite thing is talking to the players and finding out that they really dont belong in the division they are playing in. Level two sounds like it is people not playing national events, but sometimes it is obvious just watching that they are on another level. Conversation at the fill station further proves that certain people are slipping through the deciding cracks and allowed to play in a lower division. Which is all good, I just dont know how hard the rules are really being followed when it comes to who plays where. It is kind of odd to ask for a playing history other than what is the highest level you have played, but it seems that maybe it needs to really be looked at.
8. Change two things? mabe my team doesn't choke (no fault of yours Dan) and again that the divisions are more closely monitered to see who belongs where. Other than that it is a blast and I love playing it.
9. We didnt get to play all of the events this past season but the two we did hit were awesome. I would like to see another one pop up in OK somewhere. But other than that I didnt see anything wrong with the locations.
11. I am a military individual, so the economy doesnt effect my pay in the least. Although spending more money sucks more than it is cool I wont really see the true pain everyone else might feel with "normal" jobs. I dont think the prizes need to be upped at all, I think there is a certain pride you get from winning and who cares if you walk out with a pod pack you may never use, if you are playing to win crap then I think you might be playing for the wrong reasons. I think the guy that gets all the left behind pods at the end of the day is a winner. Truly I would go with lower prizes because then more people wanting to cut their teeth in the series will come out. I know a few north texas teams that arent happy with their circuit and are looking at playing this coming season. I am sure the teams on top want better prizes, but for the common unsponsored guy like myself, I just want to play.
12. I completely disagree with allowing a player from a higher division play in the same format lower division. If they wanted to play a different format, take Hubbard from storm and maybe he wants to play the 5 man with storm but top level 3 man as well, I dont see the harm in that. But allowing a player to do,imate and allow a lesser team to win when he is the only person making a difference. We arent pro's by any means, but I think there needs to be more "background" checking instead of just accepting that maybe it has happened in the past and making it legit now or in the future. I play for a solid D4 team in any national tournament, but due to the constant pains of growing up and everything the real world brings with it we are unable to compete at that level. For myself and all the other teams out there like mine we expect and pay you to allow us to play a fair division. It has been absolutely amazing the past two years when we are able to play...and you can check our point standings, we dont do so hot...but we love it and I see now reason to change the way things are ran. And if there is someone who is in a higher division, why would they want to skate on the challenge and just destroy people? I say keep it the same.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM #33
MidwestPball7

Ok this is not intended to put down any of these teams, and I may be wrong. but last year when playing in the mps I noticed that in the L3 division Team Edge Army and Team Graffiti were consistently making it into the finals blowing out every team in there path. I understand there being (better) teams, but when teams consistently destroy tournaments, I think it may be time 4 a level bump. For this reason I felt these were 2 sandbagging teams in the L3 division
Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM #34
wM_Pity
Washed Up & No Skills ^^^

wM_Pity plays in the PSP
wM_Pity plays in the APPA D4 division
The graffiti roster consisted of two players that played a few 3man events (not sure on exact history for Jordan and Justin, but they easily qualified for level 3) and Clayton who played Level 3 the year before (316 Legion) finishing inconsistently throughout the entire season without a win (Which allowed him to continue playing in Level 3.

The other team is a little more interesting; however, they were eligible to play level 3, and since they were eligible to play level 3, they should, and were allowed to participate in that division.

I also had 4 players that were eligible to play Level 3 at the beginning of 2008, and decided not to field a level 3 team.
wM_Pity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM #35
Buckfrenzy
Turtle Force

Buckfrenzy plays in the PSP
Why should a team that is winning, having fun, and making some of their expenses back be forced to bump up if they qualify for that division?

Dan does a great job keeping sandbagging out of the MPS. I cannot think of a single example of it occurring during the entire 2008 season. Enlighten me if I am wrong...

Just because players are better, does not mean they have had the chance to play on a national level team. That goes double here in the Midwest.

If it was your team winning, this wouldn't be a problem.
Buckfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:12 AM #36
MidwestPball7

thats my point buck frenzy I dont think that they should have qualified for that division, and a perfect example is if you look at the scores for 2008 L3 i believe edge army had like 5 or 6 first place finishes in a row, if that isnt sandbagging idk what is. And if we were winning like that, we would man up and take our level of play up a notch to play real competition that met and or exceeded our abilities. Either way I can guarantee you that if they cracked down and made the divisions more even, you would see larger tournouts at the events for the entire series, and that would mean more revenue for the future of mps.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 AM #37
BigJT
Elitesportspb.com

BigJT supports Team VICIOUS
BigJT supports Pev's Paintball
So what I get from u is that if a team wins 2 or 3 of the events. They become to dominating and they should move up? In No ONE series or anything that is ran on a schedule like MPS... PSP...NPPL... is done this way. Remember for every team that is there, its all about winning. Teams like Graffiti, Fatal Effect, Mayhem and Edge Army practice once or twice a weekend. Were in it to win it and take home the money. The competitive teams do not play for fun anymore. Its all about the dollar bill. If a team is classified for a level why not play it and win the prizes. I think you are confused as to what sandbagging means in paintball. U are only sandbagging if you are over qualified by means of operators and fields rules. Which in terms Dans rules state you can play the the same level the whole season as long as you qualify at the beggining. Seems fair. If your winning and there is a season prize I very well doubt that ur going to bump up, come on now.
PLANET ECLIPSE- RPS-EMPIRE- MONSTER
BigJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM #38
nate4444

Well, they practiced like crazy, thats why they were such a good team. Most of the edge army teams did. But next year they won't be able to play in level 3 anymore because they did take 1st at least twice. I know its frustrating. There was a team like that in every division. In level 4 is was the fuel team. In level 2 it was another edege army team and wichita mayhem and in level 1 it was Storm. Should a team not practice just so it don't seem like they are sandbanging.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:27 AM #39
wM_Pity
Washed Up & No Skills ^^^

wM_Pity plays in the PSP
wM_Pity plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Dan does a great job keeping sandbagging out of the MPS. I cannot think of a single example of it occurring during the entire 2008 season. Enlighten me if I am wrong...
^^^;
wM_Pity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 AM #40
blancoloco

I agree. The teams that put forth the effort should get the reward for doing so. IF your team isnt winning try more practice. IF that doesnt work try getting a higher calibur player to help coach. The guys that are winning are not out of your reach you just have to be willing to do what they are doing to win.
blancoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 AM #41
bunkerkingap1
I-40 Fuel

has been a member for 10 years
bunkerkingap1 plays in the PSP
bunkerkingap1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
bunkerkingap1 plays in the APPA D4 division
I played for the L3 I-40 Fuel team last year. I did get a chance to play both the Graffit Boys and Edge Army BA. Both teams were really good, but I don't think they were sandbagging. They were just really good teams. We were actually the only team to beat Graffiti in the first MPS(we did it 2x actually that tournament). You can tell both teams worked hard and it paid off for them with wins.

On another note, the I-40 Fuel team that won L4, won just as many L4 tourneys as Edge Army BA. Those guys had absolutely no tournament experience except for one player who had 1 rec tournament under his belt. Why should they have to bump up to L3 because they were doing well in L4? I'd rather have them do well in the division they belong in, then bump and get blown up by teams they really shouldn't be playing against. I understand playing better teams, which they did every practice, but every team should play in the division they fit in, not the one that they don't dominate the competition.

Can't wait for this season.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:13 PM #42
nate4444

yeah, I agree with you about the level 4 fuel team. They were good, but I know they weren't sand bagging it. They would still get beat, they just knew how to play well as a team when it mattered and were good at finishing off games. I really don't think there were really anyone playing way below there level. They just were all good teams that had other good teams to practice against.