Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Paintball Store/Proshop in Sumter??
Good idea, Would support 5 62.50%
Bad idea, stick with Wally world and Palmetto 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 PM #1
StopBANNINGmePLEASE

Sumter, SC paintball

Hey guys. My name is Matt. I'm 25 and stationed here at Shaw AFB. I just moved here from VA and have noticed that paintball scene is...well...virtually non-existant. I have the capabality of starting up a paintball shop somewhere off of Broad st or maybe one of its side streets. But before i went any further with pursuing this idea I wanted a general consensus of the the avid paintballers in the Sumter, SC area.

The store wouldn't be anything big. The main sales would be air and paint. I've found wholesalers that can supply me paint that i can sell at roughly $35 a case for the whitebox/field grade paint. JT Fluid paints mostly. Plus be able to carry tourny paint for $60. Air fills would be from a compressor and would range from $3 - $5 a depending on tank size. Even though the shop would carry little in store to begin with, I would be able to order anything for anybody and have it in a week tops.

Since I already have a steady income, the profits from the store would be put back into the store so it would only grow.

The reason I believe this would work is due to the fact that the area outlying sumter is rather rural and perfect for setting up "backyard" fields and recball games. And considering the only other options are Walmart with Co2 and palmetto paintball with there high prices.

Just let me know what you guys think. I'm open to all criticism. If you would like to see a Paintball store/Proshop in the area let me know.

P.S. I have almost 10 years experience in paintball and have worked on guns from Proto to Tippmann to Ion to Spyder and my personal favorite...Autococker.
StopBANNINGmePLEASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 PM #2
StopBANNINGmePLEASE

Anybody?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM #3
paintbal040
play hard or die trying

hey i think your close lol
FEAR CAPTAIN #4
ready for a new and devoted team tired of people backing out
sponsor
www.ansgear.com
paintbal040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 PM #4
StopBANNINGmePLEASE

Ft. Mill is about a good 2-3 hour drive from sumter.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 PM #5
coolrazer

has been a member for 10 years
coolrazer plays in the PSP
coolrazer is an NCPA National Champion
When I lived in Sumter the guys at Palmetto Paintball tried opening up a store/field over off of frontage road, directly behind Staples where an old batting cages thing used to be about 8 years ago. But anyway, they had to move to their current location because the county council put every barrier in their way to prohibit them to build there. The thing about Sumter is, the "good ole boy" system runs that town. If you're not in that system, it is very hard to do anything. They hate change and want to keep everything how it has been run for the longest time. So it would be hard to do it. Is that indoor fun park thing still in business? When I lived there it was called Intimidators. If they are out of business maybe you'd be able to put in an indoor field there, since all of the codes would already be met. Other than that, I think it will be very hard for you to set anything up.

Here in Knoxville there is a store/field called KPS. They do something similar to PBC. Their store is on Kingston Pike, which is the equivalent of Broad Street, but bigger. They have their field about 20 miles away on the outskirts of Knoxville. Maybe you could do that? I don't see how the county council would be able to turn down a store off of Broad Street specializing in paintball gear, as long as the field was somewhere else, somewhere less populated.

Hope this helps some.
University of Tennessee Volunteers #7 (Alumnus)
2010-2011 NCPA CLASS A NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
coolrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 PM #6
StopBANNINGmePLEASE

I definately wouldn't want a field/store place. I think there is enough rural area for the local youth to keep the store in business. My neighbor has some land that he wants to turn into a field. I think my store would help his field.
I spoke with the guy at palmetto. His field is zoned undeveloped so all his equip has to be mobile. He couldn't get it zoned commercial. I think the local economic situation may help curb the Good-ole-boy syndrom a bit and may let me open up a store. If Wal-Mart and even Simpsons can carry the equip then so can I.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 AM #7
coolrazer

coolrazer plays in the PSP
coolrazer is an NCPA National Champion
I don't think the problem is being able to carry the equipment, but rather having a place to use it within city limits.
University of Tennessee Volunteers #7 (Alumnus)
2010-2011 NCPA CLASS A NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
coolrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 AM #8
StopBANNINGmePLEASE

Rumor has it the Base is starting up a paintball field again. I would rather them build it off base near the bombing range. That way anybody could go play. But having one on base wouldn't be bad either.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM #9
durtysoufcraka
The Cake is a Lie

I don't feel like Sumter is big enough to support another paintball store. Palmetto Paintball sells lots of guns to kids who play there, and I know (as you obvi do too) that Simpsons and walmart sell Tippman stuff too. I think it would be a waste for you. Maybe you could go into business w/the guys at Palmetto Paintball and help them develop their store and get into business w/the base.

I just think Sumter is small and a lot of people there will buy a tippy 98 and shoot co2 and be happy. So walmart and the hardware store are enough for them.

And thirdly I think the internet esp. PBNation has sales at paintball stores down like crazy. It's really hard to compete w/online stuff.

Just my $.02.
Gearbag Sale guns, packs, misc

Last edited by durtysoufcraka : 12-23-2008 at 12:00 PM.
durtysoufcraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 PM #10
Lil' d

go talk to the guys at palmetto paintball
Lil' d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM #11
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

I run with a pretty good sized outlaw group out of Blythewood and I know of 4 outlaw groups around n. Augusta / Aiken, 1 in Lexington, 2 in Elgin, 1 in Dalzell and 1 in lake city. For outlaw ball, wal-mart's visible impact is a steady performer - just check the bag(s) before buying. For co2 & hpa, most of the outlaw groups are leasing bulk co2 tanks or scuba tanks. I'm not trying to we-we on your parade, but it would take one bodacious store to attract ballers from the greater Columbia area. The internet rocks for gear.

I know you can reach palmetto online - pm webfisher on pbjunkie - he monitors pretty closely. They have a field forum there as well.

On another note, I knew a guy who would pack up some gear and travel to the outlaw games - selling co2 fills, renting markers, selling paint, fixing guns, selling parts, etc - kind of a pro-shop on wheels. a $500-$1000 trailers is sure a lot cheaper than $600+/mo in rent. Just a thought.
scroadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:25 PM #12
StopBANNINGmePLEASE

Last time i checked simpsons they had no guns..only tanks and hoppers and no paint. I can sell paint and guns for less than walmart. I won't rent the store it will be bought. But...if Sumter is content with what it has and you fine folks don't want a paintball store then i shall not tread where i am not wanted. Good day all.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 PM #13
WebFisher
Palmetto Paintball

I would be very much interested in speaking with you Matt. I don't recall you ever speaking with me in the past, but I would be glad to help you in any way I can to get your store up and running.

Sumter can support a regular paintball store, and as a local field owner, I would be glad to see it.

(Haven't been monitoring this site as frequently as I needed, so I didn't know this post was here or I would have responded earlier.)
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups