PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM #1
RabidChipmunk
Still Feel Like a Old Man

Saving the NPPL... or at least the format.... It's not what you think

I have a plan. Now by this point you are probably saying, "who the blankety blank is this guy, and why does he think he's hot stuff?" Well the answer is a player. A player, who even though his Nation registration date is this year has been here for plenty (can't remember my old password and don't have that email address anymore).

As for who am I beyond that, my name is Brad Reardon. I am 26 and have been playing paintball for going on 10 years. Have I ever played professionally? No. Does that mean I'm not a player? No. That makes me the same as nearly 90% of our players today. Do I think I have their every thought in my head? No. Do I have the same concerns and wants from a tournament series? I think I do. I am a training/IT consultant by trade. I don't think that is particularly relevant but someone was bound to ask. I started my first non-profit company a year ago. I want to help people. It is time I turned my time and drive towards helping the paintball community and a game I love so much. (it will become relevant here in a minute trust me)

My question to you is "Are you ready and willing to save the format and the tournament series you claim to love so much?" If you say yes, you better be ready to do what is necessary.

Would you back someone who tried to put together a not-for-profit company to keep the NPPL around? Before you say yes make sure you know what you are getting into. I'm not asking for a lot of people to sit in the background and give a good wave and say "yeah I got his back." The time for that is past. Based on what we have seen here and heard from apparently informed sources the NPPL and XPSL are in debt. This means money.

If you look at the numbers from last year, and to be honest I haven't looked at them in a while, but the ones I remember were something like millions of people played paintball last year. Think if every one of those people were to donate $1 to saving the game we love. That should mean plenty to get this up and running.

This company being a non-profit company would also mean that all proceeds at the end of the year go back into the circuit. There isn't some "the man" at the top rolling around in dough laughing at the "ignorant little paintball players paying me all this money."

People have gawked and sneered at the "for the players, by the players" posted in the other posts on this forum. That is exactly what I would like to do. I would like to draft it that every player with a player ID or APPA number or however the determination is made have a voice. We vote on the direction our series takes.

There would need to be direction or it would be chaos and I understand that. I have experience and training from the John Adams Business Institute. My uncle is a well known non-profit organizer and a wealth of knowledge that he is freely willing to share to help me with this dream.

I think that as paintball players we can no longer sit back and hope that some corporate bureaucrats can run our tournaments and expect a good outcome for us the players. It is time we take action and make a stand as players. I am willing to do my part. Are you?

I am working on the local and federal filing of the paperwork this evening and this week. With some support from around the paintball community I fully believe that we can make this a reality and run our own series.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 PM #2
RabidChipmunk

You may be asking at this point, "what are the real benefits to this over what we have seen in the past?" My answers are simple. I don't know what is currently happening in the finance offices of Dye and the like, but think of it this way. Currently they donate goods to a for profit enterprise. They may have a way to write that off or they might not.

The non profit idea brings in other sponsors that may not see it as a money making venture to support such a league. Say we keep with Dye for the sake of argument. If they were to sponsor NPPL San Diego next year for the non-profit tournament series the benefits extend beyond simple marketing. They could say the winners of D1 get 7 new DM9s. They would then be able to write off the MSRP of the markers as a tax deductible donation to a non-profit organization.

This could also extend to other companies who may not see exposure in the paintball community as money worthy. Thinking quite big I'll admit, think about Pepsi Co. They could see paintball marketing as an expense without much gain. Now if they could spend the same amount of money as previous, but write off some or all of the cost as a donation to the non-profit they would recoup money spent prior to any boost in their sales from the exposure. This has the chance to draw other bigger donations and benefactors as well.

The biggest benefit of all is what I mentioned earlier. At the end of the year, a non-profit company is not legally allowed to simply hand the "profit" or extra money out to who would usually be called stock holders. In this instance those people would be you the players. Now while at the end of the year I would not be able to simply hand you all a check for your share, I would be able to put that money back into the series. This would mean lower entry fees the next year, or better bigger events, This could also mean that we could do more things for the players themselves. Can you imagine if after an event, every player got a dvd of their teams games? This would be something that a for profit company wouldn't see as beneficial, but could mean the world to someone actually playing the games.

These are all pipe dreams of course without your true support. I can do all the work in the world, and file all the paperwork I want to get the ball rolling, but without you the players making a real backing of this move there is nothing else for me to do. I'm prepared to do the work. Show your support, and I'll make it happen.

Last edited by RabidChipmunk : 12-02-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM #3
CraigAL32

has been a member for 10 years
CraigAL32 plays in the APPA beginner division
Interesting.

Very articulate post.

Funny thing is , this is exactly how the NPPL started.

Players for players.

Owner of the Annihilators and one of the original founding players.
One of the founding players for Miami Rage 1994-1997
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Florid...s/377685150910
http://www.floridapaintballing.com
Boogie Fan #1
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 PM #4
RabidChipmunk

Thanks Craig. The greatest part about this plan, it being a non-profit company is that it can stay that way. No LLC here. I would have it in the bylaws that the votes are done by players. The executives would have some swaying influence to make business decisions, but not in the way a CEO can cleanly run a corporation into the ground.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 PM #5
CraigAL32

CraigAL32 plays in the APPA beginner division
Found a link to some of the original NPPL stuff.

http://www.rimworlds.com/images/foun...ll%20parts.jpg

Owner of the Annihilators and one of the original founding players.
One of the founding players for Miami Rage 1994-1997
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Florid...s/377685150910
http://www.floridapaintballing.com
Boogie Fan #1
Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 PM #6
Barky TP
****513****

Barky TP supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barky TP posts videos on PbNation
Barky TP is an NCPA player
Barky TP plays in the APPA D4 division
can we petition for government money? I mean NPPL helps keep some people afloat and so many people can and will loose jobs if NPPL and the likes go down
Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 PM #7
jmac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barky TP View Post
can we petition for government money? I mean NPPL helps keep some people afloat and so many people can and will loose jobs if NPPL and the likes go down
If by so many people you mean a SMALL SMALL SMALL FRACTION of the numbers that would be out of jobs if the industries requesting government help dont get bailed out, than you are right.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 PM #8
Barky TP
****513****

honestly though i do like to idea of players buying the league if you get a donation thing together LMK id donate. I want the sport to endure
Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM #9
RabidChipmunk

I am working on getting a simple website together with links to donate. I should have it up before too long. I'll post it here when I have it ready.

As for government money, you are correct. There is government money that could be garnered once I get the federal filing for 501c3 done. That takes time however and I have been unable so far to get a time table on the liquidation.

For future monetary needs this could be a possibility as a non profit but short term I don't see us getting through the process with enough speed.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 PM #10
RabidChipmunk

A point was recently brought to my attention and I realize I neglected to mention it in my original posts. Instead of adding it now I decided to add it as a new reply simply in the effort to keep things entirely open and honest.

In the event that the funds raised here were not enough or we were not able to take back the NPPL, the board of directors (yet to be formed), and the players who had contributed would decide what would be done with the remainder of the garnered money.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM #11
hotdang

7 man is dead only if it is not played. We haven't had one Sunday since the news but there seem to be strong forces forcing us towards 5 man. I think this is due people being fearful. Fields, stores and manufacturers count on tourney ball player money and half of those players no longer have the game to play and practice for. Since PSP is still running so everyone is running towards it. PSP is expensive in more ways than one and in economic times like these it is not a viable solution. We can be those moths running to the flame or we can see this time as an opportunity. An opportunity to reinvent the game we love in to something better.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM #12
captainspaulding

I would love for the players to take back the league, and would be willing to pay in to it (especialy if the OSC would be willing to keep up the pump division)

BUT my question is
in the first go round, the NPPL was owned by the players.
you bought in to the league with your entry fees

now I don't remember people getting cut checks for their portion of the league when Pacific Paintball bought it, so who has the money from the sale?
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WMASSREGULATORS
my blog,Life Behind Lenses:
http://lifebehindlenses.blogspot.com/
help Adam
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2796449
Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 AM #13
Barky TP
****513****

Rapid when we are speaking on a time basis do we think there would be time to reorganize the league before the 09 season or would it be more realistic the preserve the NPPL format and aim for 2010
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 AM #14
RabidChipmunk

Capt: I honestly don't know the answer to that question. I don't know what the original setup of the company was and I don't have specifics on the purchase or whatever happened when PP LLC took over.

Barky: I want to get this turned around for the 09 season. I can only do that with quick response from the players. I don't know if that is feasible. Some dates may need to change in this case, but I will do my best to get things running again asap.

I was thinking about this is a sleepless staring at the ceiling moment last night, and even if we didn't reach whatever the set sale price was for the NPPL we could use that money to start our own league. Much like the NPPL used to be. Except this time we can have it in the bylaws what is to be done in the event of a purchase or so forth.

Last edited by RabidChipmunk : 12-03-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 AM #15
ctop

In theory this sounds great! But if you ask some of the people involved you will find out how much work is it takes to put on one event of this size,let alone a whole series. To make this work there would have to be a full time staff running all the (behind the scene )stuff. Most paintballers I know have to work to feed a family and do not have the free time to commit to the day to day of a venture this big. The ones who do are the same ones who run every thing now.Nothing against these people some of them are my friends, But it sounds like you want new ideas and a new direction as far as the business end goes. Other than that I love the idea and would contribute my hard earned dollars!!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM #16
RabidChipmunk

ctop: Thanks for you input and your sense. You are right, this would be a shift in the business model. The beauty of a non-profit is that it can make money. It can still make lots of money if it so chooses. If the cash draw for the NPPL was such that it has been up and running for this long, and the contention is that it has only been run into the ground recently, then the wages become the biggest cost of running the business. Yes the reduction in first year "earnings" will be a downer and this may necessitate a reduction in pay rates or salaries for those still around. The cost model in essence remains intact, as do a majority of the people.

If you have a group of people who know how to run things and do the daily job to make the NPPL run, they were most likely not in a position to truely direct this as far down as it went. They would have been acting under some executive guidance. Replace that executive guidance and take it from a money making venture into a player oriented venture and you have group of people reinvigorated with a want to work with the paintball community.

At least that is the way I see this going. I mean there would be no reason to replace say the marketing department or the like. Yes there may be a need to trim positions if it had just gotten to bulky for what needed to happen, but that is the nature of turning things around. Not everyone will be happy, but I think there would be more good than bad coming out of this.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 AM #17
psycko069

I think this is a great idea, and my team has also pondered not for profit organizations in the past. However, I dont think there would be sufficient backing to get this off the ground. I also think that this is a blessing in disguise. The industry will finally be back to one series.

However, if this does become a reality I will help in any way I can..

www.proper-villains.com
Planet Eclipse GZ Paintball
PaintballX3.com Paintball Central
Compulsive Paintball Animal Paintball
Batteries Plus Southwest Paintball
Salisbury Photography
Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 AM #18
UMDpaintball
TMNT4life

UMDpaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
UMDpaintball is an NCPA player
UMDpaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
Without the prospect of investors, being that it would be a non-profit, how do you propose that the league would sustain long-term stability and growth? Fundraising and donations only get you so far...

Paintball Adventure Park
University of Maryland
Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM #19
Nofx_Kid
EVIL

Nofx_Kid owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nofx_Kid is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidChipmunk View Post
Think if every one of those people were to donate $1 to saving the game we love. That should mean plenty to get this up and running.
A dollar a baller! Lol. Good idea! I hope this turns out good!

Ballers Haven Paintball
Shooters Inc
"I gotta go put my wallet in the blender to stop myself from going ham on all this new stuff coming out."
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM #20
RabidChipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDpaintball View Post
Without the prospect of investors, being that it would be a non-profit, how do you propose that the league would sustain long-term stability and growth? Fundraising and donations only get you so far...
I feel that simply defining them as donations and support makes it sound very narrow in scope. The hope in attaining the NPPL name is really keeping the relationships. All the sponsors who sponsored the NPPL are still going to have some interest in sponsoring a National Paintball series.

Granted some of those sponsors will have been soured by this turn of events and may choose not to pursue the sponsorship they did in the past. However, those that do could expect to spend around the same amount moving forward, knowing that it is no longer simply a cost, but also has a benefit above exposure.

Future funds and specifically looking at sustainability and growth would be garnered in the form of tournaments. The NPPL has licensed one video game and possibly received some money from the few television airings and dvds. As I have stated previously, the cost model and revenue streams should not change significantly.

I want to change the way that revenue is handled on the series end. I want to change the ways in which the money is spent. I donít want to change how the money is made. I want to take this back to the player driven league it once was.

With that change you get happy competitors. Happy competitors are #1, better playing, #2 better behaving, and #3 more likely to bring others to the series.

Yes there are things that may be easier to do as a for profit company. I donít want to take the easy route. I want it done right. And done right means that the player is #1, not the profit. If we need to spend $5000 that would normally come right off the bottom line to make players that much happier then I think that is something a series should strive to do. Focus on what the players want and not what the shareholders and those expecting money at the end of the year want.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM #21
DiStUrBeDKiD6969

DUDE AMAZING IDEA I THINK ITS SO AWSOME!!
if you need any help at all im totally willing to put time and money into helping

and again great idea

oh and pm me if theres anything i could help with

thanks
mike

GamerTag:Hedache69
XxMightyMikexX9