Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 AM #1
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

merkercaptain16 is a Supporting Member
merkercaptain16 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
merkercaptain16 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Looking for Feedback: Reball

Hey Nation,

I'm looking into opening an indoor reball practice facililty as well as an outdoor traditional paint field and am looking for feedback. Simply doing some research at this point to see if the demand is there. I want to open a facility in Connecticut, around the Hartford area (possibly Windsor). I'm looking to have full size Xball and would like to be able to run raceto matches etc.

Questions I have:

-Are you interested at all?
-What price range would get you to come out on a regular basis?
-Would you prefer an indoor field with traditional paintball or does reball interest you?
-Would you be interested in mid-week nigthtime practice/rotations?
-What sorts of things do you expect at a field that you would regularly attend?
-How often would you be looking to practice at this type of facility? All
winter? Once a month? Rarely?

Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcome. I wont necessarily take them but ill certainly listen! Again this is just for research to see if this is feasible or not. I appreciate your time!

EDIT:

pricing is something we're not gonna be setting in stone until we're ready to open, but preliminary pricing looks like this..
entry-$25 including air and field entry

paint will range based on what we get wholesale prices.. im guessing between $50-70/case with discounts if you're a member

membership for winter (november-may)-$150
membership for summer (may-nov) $150
year long membership $250.

*all memberships will include basic rental equipment if needed to allow younger players the opportunity to play even if they cant afford gear.. one price gets you everything you need minus paint*

let us know what you think!

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com

Last edited by merkercaptain16 : 11-14-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: fixed typo
merkercaptain16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM #2
Charlie13
Wipe yo FACE!

Charlie13 donated to help Peyton Trent
Charlie13 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Charlie13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yes, very much so
$25 Entry $45 a case.
-Would you prefer an indoor field with traditional paintball or does reball interest you?
Both, Drill night for reball $35 per person, then paintball on the weekends
Yes
Good paint, safe playing environment, 4500 fill or close to it, turf, up to date bunkers, field tech, reffing, a small pro shop, and refreshments
Once a week

FOXBALL MAJORS
NEXL D3 PREMEIRE
Charlie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:31 AM #3
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

thank you for your feedback! keep it coming guys!

and if this does happen, all fields will be turf, and we will have everything to run xball including a good fill station/compressor as well as the new bunker kits. I'd be looking to do at least 1-2 nights a week for rotations and drills (maybe 1 night rotations and 1 night just drills). i want to have a facility for serious teams to get the reps they need while making as cost effective as possible. thats the reason i want to go with reball for at least part of the venture. get teams the ability to really practice without breaking the bank. wouldnt it be great to be able to run drills all night for minimal cost???

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com

Last edited by merkercaptain16 : 11-09-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM #4
Garbanzo
that's reckless.

Garbanzo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Garbanzo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Garbanzo plays in the APPA D4 division
If this happens I'd probably try to make the trip from Eastern mass every once in a while

Foxball minors
#TYBG
Garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM #5
Chrismeisterpmc
C-Nasty

Chrismeisterpmc owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Chrismeisterpmc plays in the APPA D4 division
I don't live close but I'll give you some feedback

*This is a really good idea, if we had something opening up like this close to where I live it would be great!

*$10-$20 entry with air and $40-$50/case of decent paint

*Both ideas are great, but traditional paintball would be the bigger pull in

*Yes

*Good quality field with turf, good air fills (above 3000psi), gun tech, food and drinks, good paint, and last decent bathrooms.

*If we had one I would be there all winter at least every 2 weeks.
Chris Hale #19
Chrismeisterpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 AM #6
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
If this happens I'd probably try to make the trip from Eastern mass every once in a while
you think like once a month would be a good estimate? trying to get some numbers together. thanks for posting though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismeisterpmc View Post
I don't live close but I'll give you some feedback

*This is a really good idea, if we had something opening up like this close to where I live it would be great!

*$10-$20 entry with air and $40-$50/case of decent paint

*Both ideas are great, but traditional paintball would be the bigger pull in

*Yes

*Good quality field with turf, good air fills (above 3000psi), gun tech, food and drinks, good paint, and last decent bathrooms.

*If we had one I would be there all winter at least every 2 weeks.
i appreciate it, wish you could be a little closer to take advantage

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com
Old 11-09-2013, 12:34 PM #7
daveumasspaint
UMass Paintball

daveumasspaint supports Team VICIOUS
daveumasspaint is an NCPA player
daveumasspaint plays in the APPA D5 division
daveumasspaint supports DLX Technology
Myself and the entire UMass team would love it. Being as there is only really two field options right now for us ( Fox4 and Matts) we would love to have a new field and re-ball would be great for the winter.

20$ entry , 35-45 a case. The costs all come down to what you want in my opinion but for example here in NJ any home team would skip the entry fee and only pay paint. For walk on play i think 20 for entry is fair and the paint really depends on the type and how much as a field you buy.

-Would you prefer an indoor field with traditional paintball or does re-ball interest you?
INDOOR PLEASE . There is no indoor field anywhere close except Syracuse and Boston. I think it would be great if you could do both but I think a indoor field in MA/CT area is much needed. Re ball would be cool but paintball would be alot better.

-Would you be interested in mid-week nighttime practice/rotations?

Definitely

Good paint
Preferably if the facility allows no huge columns/beams in the middle of the field like most indoor places have
4500 fill or close to it
Turf
PSP bunker set
field tech, reffing, a small pro shop, and refreshment
Good prices for local and college teams as well as sponsorship
listening to what the community wants ( Which by the looks of it you already do )

All winter if indoor and every weekend during the season
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM #8
I'm_Addicted
snowman FTW

I'm_Addicted owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Am I interested? Yes. Do I think you'll have enough interest to make this a feasible operation? No.

Unfortunately I don't think ct has the depth of players that are committed to playing indoor all winter long. If you look at the past say 5 years, how man indoor fields have there been in ct/ri that have failed? At least 3 indoor paintball fields, and extreme complex in ri (stopped offering reball in favor of airsoft).

I think if you were to look at BP with their 2 locations in mass and loosely follow their operations, you might do okay. They don't always cater to tournament players, and their main location is in a large city. The majority of their business is walk on/ rentals. They also charge out the ***, but people (again, mostly walk ins) pay that and it helps with the overhead.

Also as soon as the ground thaws, what will you do with the facility once everyone is outside again?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying that it's a risky endeavor as I'm sure you already are aware.

Last edited by I'm_Addicted : 11-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.
I'm_Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM #9
UndecidedPball
-Emerson-

UndecidedPball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
UndecidedPball plays in the APPA D3 division
Unless you plan on having a outdoor field don't even attempt to get a indoor field up and running. Look at boston paintball and I think even providence paintball. They have a indoor field and a outdoor field. Once the weather warms up the tourney guys will go back outdoors. Then trying to advertise to recreational guys isn't going to be easy because your gonna compete with Hogans Alley paintball which imo is the best place to play if your not a tourney player.

Having a indoor field you also will probably have to have higher prices which automatticaly people wouldn't want to play. Boston paintball charges $90 with paint to play there. Thus the fact why I don't play there.
\
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM #10
agalluze1219

agalluze1219 is an NCPA player
agalluze1219 plays in the APPA D4 division
I would reach out to the college teams in the area if you open as their season does not not end. Some things that I look for in an indoor field is good lighting and a clean field. No one likes playing in goop or falling on your *** when your not on turf.
agalluze1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:25 PM #11
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate everyones opinions and ideas. I wouldn't even consider opening an exclusively reball or exclusively indoor field because there would not be enough interest. my goal is to appeal to the vast majority of the population. I want teams to have a good quality indoor experience without having to pay $90/player. but i also know that i personally wouldnt wanna play indoor in the summer.

keep the ideas coming. i want to have a field that appeals to the players of our sport and offers the best value.

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 PM #12
bmadore7
ill advised

bmadore7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I think there is definitely a good customer base in connecticut but nobody ever knew where to target. I know a ton of people who live in central/northern ct who have to drive at least 40 mins to the nearest field (which isn't too bad) but with a field in the hartford area it would be perfect. Indoor would be unreal, why not have indoor paintball in the winter and then indoor airsoft or whatever brings money for the spring/summer. You just have to find out what business model would work for you, but there is a way to make it work and turn out a profit. The other places were just doing it wrong, and charging too much without the right models.

Interest is definitely there, you just have to know where to target.
bmadore7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 AM #13
G00DFELLA
M0S-H8D

has been a member for 10 years
G00DFELLA plays in the PSP
G00DFELLA plays in the APPA D3 division
Would I be interested?
Yes. When there were still indoor fields sz or madness I'd play sat/sun and the mid week day. But I'm a stickler about having to pay inflated entry costs although I know they are needed. So like dave said if you dropped the entry for those who rep the place I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake.

As for paint...I don't care what cheap box you buy this is what I'm use to anyway. just make sure you keep it warm so the shell isn't brittle. But your not going to effectively do reball because 1) the balls need to be constantly cleaned and oiled 2) people will steal them 3) no one wants to rechrono to support reball 4) you will have pissed off customers wheb they burn out there rotors/spires/z2s. Just stick to paint.

Turf don't use that cheap miniture golf rug that the last windsor place used....it was painfull.

Location. Remember that when picking a place meansure it out and notice load baring beams. The last windsor and bp indoor don't have square fields because of this
On couch getting fat 2012
CT Comeback/Rod Squad 2013
G00DFELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM #14
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadore7 View Post
I think there is definitely a good customer base in connecticut but nobody ever knew where to target. I know a ton of people who live in central/northern ct who have to drive at least 40 mins to the nearest field (which isn't too bad) but with a field in the hartford area it would be perfect. Indoor would be unreal, why not have indoor paintball in the winter and then indoor airsoft or whatever brings money for the spring/summer. You just have to find out what business model would work for you, but there is a way to make it work and turn out a profit. The other places were just doing it wrong, and charging too much without the right models.

Interest is definitely there, you just have to know where to target.
agreed. this is where the idea was born. I've lived just outside hartford my whole life and spent most of my weekends driving to massachusetts. Central CT is a great location in my opinion but you need to do it right, and thats what we're going to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00DFELLA View Post
Would I be interested?
Yes. When there were still indoor fields sz or madness I'd play sat/sun and the mid week day. But I'm a stickler about having to pay inflated entry costs although I know they are needed. So like dave said if you dropped the entry for those who rep the place I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake.

As for paint...I don't care what cheap box you buy this is what I'm use to anyway. just make sure you keep it warm so the shell isn't brittle. But your not going to effectively do reball because 1) the balls need to be constantly cleaned and oiled 2) people will steal them 3) no one wants to rechrono to support reball 4) you will have pissed off customers wheb they burn out there rotors/spires/z2s. Just stick to paint.

Turf don't use that cheap miniture golf rug that the last windsor place used....it was painfull.

Location. Remember that when picking a place meansure it out and notice load baring beams. The last windsor and bp indoor don't have square fields because of this
1)cleaning and oiling of the reballs goes with the territory and will be done regularly. part of our business plan has that included as regular maintenence.
2)reball is something that isnt offered in the area, and that gives us an indoor competitive advantage. There will be strict rules regarding using only our pods, and emptying of hoppers after games. Obviously there will be theft but theres going to be harsh consequences.
3)rechrono takes minutes.. and you should be doing that every weekend to ensure youre not shooting 350 anyway.
4) if you're really worried about reball breaking your hopper then dont use it. we'll have rental equipment. this is going to be mainly to keep players active during the off season and we will be offering outdoor turfed fields for the regular season that will be traditional paint. during the season i anticipate having more outdoor business on weekends, and reball practices a few nights a week at very competitive prices. ive spoken to a few bigger teams (who will remain nameless for now) and the interest is there.

The turf is something that we arent skimping on for sure. we know what its like to play on carpet. and that sucks.

thank you guys for the input. i truly appreciate it and i really hope that we can bring a field to you guys that will be exactly what the players want.

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM #15
tameone

I don't have anything to contribute really, but I'd welcome a new PB facility in central CT, and I'd be interested in weeknight indoor play, paint or reball. I know you are aware of the difficulties past facilities in the Windsor area have faced, so best of luck!
tameone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM #16
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tameone View Post
I don't have anything to contribute really, but I'd welcome a new PB facility in central CT, and I'd be interested in weeknight indoor play, paint or reball. I know you are aware of the difficulties past facilities in the Windsor area have faced, so best of luck!
i am aware of their difficulties, and i dont feel that their issue was lack of interest, but rather nearby competition with better facilities and no distinct advantage to draw players to the fields. thanks for your response

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com
Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM #17
J&JCeramic3469

Wasn't there an indoor field in Norwich that ended up going bankrupt?..just a thought. Not really sure the specifics on it.
J&JCeramic3469 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM #18
The_Fresh
Trollin' the trolls.

Annual Supporting Member
The_Fresh plays in the APPA D4 division
The_Fresh has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The_Fresh supports DLX Technology
The_Fresh supports Empire
If you opened up an indoor facility we would all love you. charlie covered basically all of the expectations and such spot on. I would personally like 10-15 dollar entry 25 is a bit high for people constantly coming back. But I would still pay that no problem if that was the case. You would have a lot of business since the winter is terrible for out door fields. I'd also like to see good climate control, like 60-70 deg temps indoor while playing and such. Sell some food, drinks, be friendly, have 4500psi fill ups. People will come. And advertise well!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:00 PM #19
bmadore7
ill advised

I believe that there should be membership options... Most fields just do season passes, but membership options with different levels and prices and discounts would be awesome. You don't need a membership to play ofcourse but that would definitely bring more money. And ofcourse you guys need to allow BYOP, and just charge more for it. $25 is a good entry fee for using your own paint and then $15-20 for using field paint.

Last edited by bmadore7 : 11-12-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 PM #20
bmadore7
ill advised

Are you still searching for property to open this up on?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM #21
merkercaptain16
REDEMPTION!

we've looked at a few locations. havent settled on one yet. BYOP will probably be an option and memberships will absolutely be available.

Fox 4 Paintball
www.fox4paintball.com
ReplyRegional Ups