by release you mean cook him, yes
Released from his bodily prison.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 PM #1073
DRock
Resident Rocket Scientist

has been a member for 10 years
Another question for your baitcaster users out there.

I decided to pick up my first one, got an Ugly Stick 7' baitcaster and when trying to cast a light Zoom U-Tail unweighted it creates a huge rats nest in the reel.

I adjusted the knob on the side so that the lure falls slowly and when it hits the ground everything stopped but it keeps getting all tangled. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what is going on and how to set it up? Are there any lures I can or can't use with a baitcaster?

I am seriously considering returning it for a spinning rod.

Thanks.

ST:Almost Serious
Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 PM #1074
Lost492

Annual Supporting Member
Lost492 donated to help Peyton Trent
Lost492 helped look for balloons
Lost492 is playing at Living Legends III
Well I am finally heading down to Florida for the majority of the summer on Friday, this means I will probably be planning on going surf fishing by Sunday or Monday.

What I am looking for now is some suggestions for rigs, and lures. I know someone on here gave me a recommendation for Snook lures and I ordered those. Now I am looking for some other lures, as well as some rigs for using live bait that I would catch with a casting net or dead bait such as squid or shrimp bought from a bait shop.

I am looking for all suggestions I just really want to get down there and get everything setup for a good summer long fishing trip haha. I will be doing mostly surf, but also a decent amount of pier when I can get up to the skyway piers and everything like that.

I will be fishing the Gulf around Sarasota, and Bradenton for surf fishing and then for pier fishing in Tampa and possibly at the Venice pier.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 PM #1075
d00d 1'm 4 h4Xz0r (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock View Post

I decided to pick up my first one, got an Ugly Stick 7' baitcaster and when trying to cast a light Zoom U-Tail unweighted it creates a huge rats nest in the reel.

I adjusted the knob on the side so that the lure falls slowly and when it hits the ground everything stopped but it keeps getting all tangled. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what is going on and how to set it up? Are there any lures I can or can't use with a baitcaster?

Thanks.
Is it a low profile one or a regular style one? Low profile baitcasters you can throw about anything, a regular one you have to stay away from things like soft plastics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost492 View Post
Well I am finally heading down to Florida for the majority of the summer on Friday, this means I will probably be planning on going surf fishing by Sunday or Monday.

What I am looking for now is some suggestions for rigs, and lures. I know someone on here gave me a recommendation for Snook lures and I ordered those. Now I am looking for some other lures, as well as some rigs for using live bait that I would catch with a casting net or dead bait such as squid or shrimp bought from a bait shop.

I am looking for all suggestions I just really want to get down there and get everything setup for a good summer long fishing trip haha. I will be doing mostly surf, but also a decent amount of pier when I can get up to the skyway piers and everything like that.

I will be fishing the Gulf around Sarasota, and Bradenton for surf fishing and then for pier fishing in Tampa and possibly at the Venice pier.

Thanks in advance!
Well, the best rig (IMO) for west coast surf fishing is just a plain knocker rig, with a 1/4oz sinker and a 3/0 long shank hook.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:42 PM #1076
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Orvis09 supports our troops
Orvis09 plays in the APPA D5 division
Orvis09 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Orvis09 is Legendary
Orvis09 supports DLX Technology
I went bass fishing for the first time, like FOR REAL bass fishing. I was using one of those rubber worms with a huge weight. I didn't catch anything, and neither did my girlfriend's dad. I could have had something, but when I was reeling in the lure it felt like it had moss on it. The closer it got to the boat, the harder it pulled, until I found out it was a fish under the boat and the lure popped free since I never set the hook.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:56 PM #1077
HashbrownsSCCD (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis09 View Post
I went bass fishing for the first time, like FOR REAL bass fishing. I was using one of those rubber worms with a huge weight. I didn't catch anything, and neither did my girlfriend's dad. I could have had something, but when I was reeling in the lure it felt like it had moss on it. The closer it got to the boat, the harder it pulled, until I found out it was a fish under the boat and the lure popped free since I never set the hook.
Blah. I never use weights for bass, not even texas rig. Worm+Hook=Win.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM #1078
DRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00d 1'm 4 h4Xz0r View Post
Is it a low profile one or a regular style one? Low profile baitcasters you can throw about anything, a regular one you have to stay away from things like soft plastics.

Well, the best rig (IMO) for west coast surf fishing is just a plain knocker rig, with a 1/4oz sinker and a 3/0 long shank hook.
It looks like a low profile baitcaster, I don't know how to tell the difference though but its short.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM #1079

low profile

regular
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM #1080
DRock

It's a low profile one...however I can't for the life of me get it to cast right with a soft plastic on it...the reel just keeps on spinning.

Am I supposed to stop the wheel with my thumb as soon as the lure hits the water?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:44 PM #1081
aznracindude

you should be feathering the reel with your thumb

what are your brakes set at?

start with a high number (8ish) and as you get better with your thumb you wont need the brakes as much

Confidentiality Notice: This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply P.M. and destroy all copies of the original message.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM #1082

Pretty much.

You should try to slow it down when it's about to hit the water. You can turn the magnetics to get it to where you don't need to thumb it.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM #1083
SCFOOTBALLBEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock View Post

Thanks.

Everytime I fish, i take atleast one of each spinning and baitcasting. For my worms and finesse applications, I almost always use the spinning. Your problem is you were throwing a weightless worm, and dont seem to accustomed to a baitcaster, thus resulting in tons of backlash. It happens. Even pros backlash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis09 View Post

Because you were using a huge weight. It takes away some of your feel if you are just swimming it. I only go big for deep water, or if Im trying to purposely drag the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00d 1'm 4 h4Xz0r View Post
Pretty much.

You should try to slow it down when it's about to hit the water. You can turn the magnetics to get it to where you don't need to thumb it.

Theres lots of adjustments you can make to the setup of your reel, but you just gotta get used to getting the perfect amount of thumbing to get it to cast. Practice makes perfect.
University of Louisville Student
Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 PM #1084
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
It was a big fish for sure. I guess he was just swimming towards the boat the entire time.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM #1085

We get it, trout are the only fish on earth worth catching.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 PM #1086
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary

Huh?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:47 PM #1087

I Was Just Making A Witty Comment, Don't Mind Me.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:48 PM #1088
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
Ah I see. OK then.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 AM #1089
SCFOOTBALLBEARS

or maybe you were just too fast for him. lol.

i went fishing today. in the heat of the day, they were bitin killer. plastic worms was all it took all day. caught several decent ones. had even more get off. and hooked 2 huge bass. omg i was ecstatic. then the bastards threw my hook. the pond i was at is known for larger bass. ive caught some big ones, and one of my friends caught a 5lbr this morning. the one i hooked was bigger. it sucked. but good day.
University of Louisville Student
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM #1090
Lost492

Annual Supporting Member
Lost492 donated to help Peyton Trent
Lost492 helped look for balloons
Lost492 is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFOOTBALLBEARS View Post
or maybe you were just too fast for him. lol.

i went fishing today. in the heat of the day, they were bitin killer. plastic worms was all it took all day. caught several decent ones. had even more get off. and hooked 2 huge bass. omg i was ecstatic. then the bastards threw my hook. the pond i was at is known for larger bass. ive caught some big ones, and one of my friends caught a 5lbr this morning. the one i hooked was bigger. it sucked. but good day.
I went yesterday too I caught 2 bass as well.... under 1 pound lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM #1091
Its_Kal-El
Blue Lantern Corps

Oh fun.. a new thread for me to post in. I went fishing yesterday too and caught 4 small(er) LM bass and a few various sized crappie. I love fishing my ultralight gear with a white/ red spot beetlespin on these rocks here in Maryland. Starting to use Spiderwire braided 4lb on this rig and it works flawlessly so I think I have found a new line that I like I usually bring out three different rigs and even my fly gear on occasion but as of late it's been all ultralight. About to move back home to MS and that is going to be more time with my baitcast rigs. Love some shaky head action with these new 7x plastics.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM #1092
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
I've decided that I hate bass fishing.