Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 PM #1
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
What's next for MSPA?

So, now that the 2008 season has come to a close with today's tournament at NAP, what are the plans for MSPA's future? Will there be a year end meeting? If so, what are the issues the league is looking at? Any plans to try and revive this series and improve attendance?

MSPA attendance was way down this year but that wasn't really a just a MSPA thing. Participation in paintball is down across the board. Fields are struggling. CFOA, the closest regional series was down about 65% from last year. I think it had a lot more to do with the economy than MSPA as a series.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Post away.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 PM #2
*z-man*

i think paintball is gay and we should all take up scrabble
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 AM #3
SquadBilly
Bama Baller

keep on playing.
" I'm so high I can eat a star.." -Lil Wayne-
" I'm a monster everyday is Halloween.." -Lil Wayne-
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 AM #4
erv_nap
playa 4 lyfe

there are too many different series in paintball right now. just think of how many tourneys are in a month psp, mao, cfoa, nppl, aces, mspa etc............. all these series have hurt each other. if there were 3 series that could be scheduled around each other and economical and consistent, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. imo.........

thx to the teams that made it to nap's mspa. we wish it was a bigger turnout. i know the teams that were there had fun. take care
Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM #5
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
Yeah, when you compare them all together as one group. But that's not really a good comparison because most of those events are on totally differnent levels..

On the Local level (for Alabama) we have ACES and then each feilds individual events...

On the Regional Level we have CFOA and MSPA.

On the National level we have PSP and NPPL. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't MAO just an event in PSP?

Anyway, while some teams play all those events and thus have a lot of events to attend and schedule around.. the Vast majority of teams only play a local events and a few also play in regional events.

I think MSPA has 4 major issues right now.
1. Poor reputation... For various reasons, this series has developed a very poor reputation amoung players.
2. Poor economy... if people cant afford to eat, they won't play paintball.
3. Too close to CFOA... compitition with this series has hurt. If MSPA moved further south, it's impact would be limited by distance.
4. Too spread out (Ky, Tn, AL, GA) The price of gas and competing with CFOA means being this spread out is a liability.

These are just my opinions. I could be wrong.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 PM #6
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
I think MSPA has 4 major issues right now.
1. Poor reputation... For various reasons, this series has developed a very poor reputation amoung players.
2. Poor economy... if people cant afford to eat, they won't play paintball.
3. Too close to CFOA... compitition with this series has hurt. If MSPA moved further south, it's impact would be limited by distance.
4. Too spread out (Ky, Tn, AL, GA) The price of gas and competing with CFOA means being this spread out is a liability.

These are just my opinions. I could be wrong.
It's been quite a while since I've been remotely close enough to play a MSPA, but I quite agree with your assessment.

The economy will improve as time goes on, but the MSPA reputation is something that will continue to limit it as a league. The last event I played was a MSPA in Nashville. After that experience, I was seriously considered never playing paintball ever again. The reffing was horrendous.

Being as there's a better alternative, the CFOA, people will not bother with a series that doesn't improve over time.

I know it's simple to say 'improve reffing' without offering any real suggestions. And I realize the CFOA has it's own share of problems regarding reffing. Still, MSPA will continue to live in the shadow of the CFOA unless makes some changes.

It may not be fair, but now that MSPA has gained a sub-par reputation, the only way to overcome it is to over-deliver rather than just meet people's expectations in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM #7
Blitz221
Schools.

Blitz221 plays in the PSP
Blitz221 is an NCPA player
Blitz221 plays in the APPA D4 division
Blitz221 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvman View Post
Being as there's a better alternative, the CFOA, people will not bother with a series that doesn't improve over time.

I know it's simple to say 'improve reffing' without offering any real suggestions. And I realize the CFOA has it's own share of problems regarding reffing. Still, MSPA will continue to live in the shadow of the CFOA unless makes some changes.

It may not be fair, but now that MSPA has gained a sub-par reputation, the only way to overcome it is to over-deliver rather than just meet people's expectations in the future.
All true. I have never reffed a mspa, but from a players point of view it seems that none of the refs are motivated enough to do a good job.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM #8
SquadBilly
Bama Baller

Man what happen to people playing these tourneys and having fun? Thats what I try to do. All of you are right in a way, there are too many series that people want to play MSPA has changed from the old days (so I have been told) and the reffing in MSPA isnt as good as psp or cfoa but who expects it to be? not my team, bad calls happen at every tourney but people freakout at MSPA tourneys when a bad call is made like they are in a psp or nppl but they are in MSPA. All of these have hurt MSPA and aces but there isnt much for us to do but play and hope over time it gets better.
" I'm so high I can eat a star.." -Lil Wayne-
" I'm a monster everyday is Halloween.." -Lil Wayne-
Old 09-22-2008, 02:40 PM #9
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadBilly View Post
keep on playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadBilly View Post
Man what happen to people playing these tourneys and having fun? Thats what I try to do.

...but there isnt much for us to do but play and hope over time it gets better.
Unfortunately it's a little more complicated than that. When fields are only getting 5 teams for an event, it's not worth their time, energy, investment or resources to host an event. Not to mention the rec ball business they lost because the field was closed to those players on the day of the event.

Paintball in this area is in serious trouble. Fields are shutting down, older players are leaving the sport and not enough new people are picking it up. Attendance to the two regional series for this area is down more than 50% from last year. "Keep playing and hope things get better" sounds great but isn't going to do anything to bring MSPA back next year.

Since the field owners control MSPA now, I'd like to hear from them on this. Are you guys planning to have a MSPA next season?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 PM #10
erv_nap
playa 4 lyfe

there are more local teams that are trying to make bigger events rather than local events. some try to use mspa and aces as a practice. if that is the case, most teams would rather stay at their home field and practice rather than travel to hours to pay and play a tourney for "practice". it would be nice if all the series could have their own "crew" of refs for every event. one set group of guys/girls that will be dedicated enough to ref each event and get paid a certain portion of entry per event, but you will never get that!! we'll see where mspa goes. i don't think it will make 2009. who knows!?!?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 PM #11
scoutt61

MSPA Events

We have plans to leave MSPA all together in favor of CFOA next year for the following reasons:

1) CFOA is much more professional than MSPA has become.
2) MSPA has no divisions that at least make you feel you are playing comparable teams. I know there is some sandbagging especially in D5, but at least beginner teams are not trying to play teams with a couple of D2 and D3 players as their worst players.

3) Given the cost of going to a tournament, why not go to one where you have a chance to win money instead of medals or trophys? Yea you compete against 20-40 other teams, but the prizes can get you into the next tournament. You are still going to shoot a case or two of paint, so that is a fixed cost. A hotel room is about $50 to 60 split two ways.
4)The reffing this year has been everything from excellent to terrible. No need to call out specific tournaments on either side, but the inconsistency has been the problem. With 5 to 7 teams showing up, I don't see how there will be money for the refs or the prizes.

5)CFOA starts on time and stays on time much more so than MSPA. If you have a 2-3 hour drive home, you really don't want to get started an hour late.

6)Teams will pay more for a quality experience. CFOA and PSP provide that experience and can charge more and require APPA IDs.

We will have three teams in CFOA next year in at least two divisions. I will personally miss the MSPA fields and folks, but I think it is time to move on, absent some rather strong changes. Hope this has not sounded too negative as I made many friends in MSPA that I hope will continue.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM #12
erv_nap
playa 4 lyfe

amen!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM #13
Dist26
A-Town Balla

Localizing MSPA

What would be the possibility of Localizing MSPA a bit more? And what I mean is tightening in the distance. As it was said gas is by far the biggest problem anyone is having. Why not Bring it all back and sort of "Start over"? Restructure MSPA, Divisions, entrys the whole thing. Looking at tournament costs atm CFOA is expensive.

I know its been awhile since Ive last played but I have a basic understanding of running a tournament series. Simply cater to what is hurting players the most.

Some players wouldnt mind a nice looking trophy and a few cases of paint for a prize. If you can throw in some cash great.

It just seems like you guys need to restore some luster.

MSPA was my first step into competitive paintball back in the day. And it was a great stepping stone. It never hurts to start from the basics and go back to having fun again. I think MSPA can be as competitive as CFOA it would just take a solid chance of the organizers sitting down and working it all out.

I know you would obviously have to work out the prices for each field, paid refs "if you even wanted to do this and go back to teams reffing"

Theres alot but thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Dist26 : 09-28-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:33 AM #14
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ plays in the PSP
ScottQ supports Team VICIOUS
Lets just turn MSPA into a stock class series.

"There are two types of people in this world. Those who love Neil Diamond and those who don't."
Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM #15
kilby24

Annual Supporting Member
kilby24 is a Supporting Member
kilby24 plays in the MiLP
kilby24 supports Cereal Killerz 2
First of all, paintball is down everywhere due to the economy,and when economic times get tight the weakest usually fall just because of there isn't enough dollars to go around. There are more choices for people to play such as the CFOA, ACES, GFOA, plus local field level tournaments. The MSPA used to be THE regional tournament series to play. Preferences of consumers change over time.

I agree that the field owners that are now over this series probably need to localize it a little more and if "MSPA" has gotten a bad reputation for whatever reason, it might not be a bad time to re-create the series - new name, and offer some alternatives to the CFOA that make it more attractive for its differences rather than its similarities.

I hope the MSPA does not fade away. I pesonally don't like driving all the way to the carolinas to play quality paintball.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 PM #16
backwoodzklick

i agree mspa was the thing to play wen i started playin back in the day now it still just more a beginner tourney than anything else cfoa is too expensive (gas and paint) entry fee isnt a issue but it would be nice if it was to come down a lil bit but now mspa needs to go back to diff divisons and at least spread them around like tn ga ky talk to other series n see wat they offer once a month like yjp, potp,ntense and gas and work something out to were all these arent running into each other then wen u figure that out figure out how to arrange something towards the end of the month with the cfoa and etc paintball is down due to the economy right now cause if ppl are barely being able to eat and put gas in there cars they def aint gonna have money to play pb

"MEN DO WAT THEY WANT BOYS DO WAT THEY CAN"
Old 10-10-2008, 01:24 AM #17
SuperGecko28
*C-Town Legend*

ScottQ - Stockclass TEN MAN series!!!
Let them Hate, so long as they Fear
Malicious Krew
*Revenge*
Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 PM #18
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
I think localizing the series would be huge help. With the state of the economy and the price of gas, driving 6-8 hours to play a MSPA is just too much. Add in a hotel, paint and entry and it gets down right expensive.

But considering that this series is currently controlled by field owners and none of them have replied, it doesn't look good right now.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 PM #19
WeapwnX
X-Rated

Well all the field owners would have to do is weigh out the profit of teh event comparing it to a normal rec day. Are they making more money hosting and event or would they make more money running a regular rec day at the field. Does anyone know the team turnout for each event thsi past series?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM #20
iwannaplay

turnout posted in the scores section of the MSPA web site
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM #21
WeapwnX
X-Rated

Well just going by notes you avg about 22 teams an event, 22 at 400 is 4400 per event. I would understand the fields wanting to receive a compensation for hosting which is obvious.

As far as reffing. Having teams that are participating in the series reffing is a double edged sword. Yes its nice having the experience there but you also have the chance for "bad reffing" w/o getting into specifics, and Im sure you all know what I mean. If a team wants to compete for series points they need to work for it, not have it given to them.

I think it would be best for the fields participating in the series to have their own staff that work at the field to supply the refs. Paying for refs AND giving a field compensation is spending too much money on the host and takes away from the players. If a field wishes to host give them their cut, w/e it is and leave it at that. They will make additional money for concessions, paint and w/e gear they end up selling during the event. Havinga field offer their paint on tournament day at a discounted rate may be anotehr concept.

Prizes Should be simple for each event but tremendous for series. Offering large trophies and plaques for the divisions is easily cost efficient. Having a small purse for the Open division event winner is affordable, while offering a free admission as well to the nexted event. Reducing entry fee for the 2nd thru 4th place finishes would also be a nice incentive. Being able to save money on an upcoming event would be nice to know.

I KNOW the prices of trophies and plaques and it woudl easily be affordable.

I reffed/hosted tournaments/series as well as designed flyers for every one. I am well aware of the cost for each event so all my knowledge is from experience.

Your hardest challendge will be startup, Getting the money together for the trophies of teh first event woudl prob be yoru biggest hurdle. Unless you worked out a deal with some sort shop where you would allow them to make the entire series trophies.

I;m noit telling you how to run your series, simply offering the advice. I played MSPA back in the day and I am well aware of its history and reputation.

I hope this may help or inspire. If anyoen would have any questions feel free to PM.