PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM #1
MoTiVe
NissanPower!

MoTiVe is a Supporting Member
What to expect from a 09 SLG Ultralite?

OK so I've been out of the sport for about 3 years now, and am trying to make my way back into the competitive scene. I'm giving myself a new gun as a Christmas gift this year and set a personal limit of $300.

I always like to do research before I buy, so I've been looking around for the last couple weeks and have determined that the '09 SLG (Ultralite) is the gun for me. However, from things I've read here, to things I've read on other forums, there seems to be some issues with the SLGs that really worry me and make me extremely hesitant to purchase:

-Plastic tip of bolt breaking
-'full auto' issue when airing up
-rubber detents not holding the ball in breech, letting it either roll back or forward
-bolt machined too short, causing roll back and therefore causing the eyes to not see the ball

In my opinion, I should not have to send in a bolt that's too short or that breaks easily on a gun I JUST purchased; so I guess my question is:

Am I going to run into these problems if I buy a brand new gun? Are there any plans from Dye/Proto to fix these problems, and if so should I wait till they're cleared up?

Thanks in advance,
Craig
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 PM #2
KMA

KMA is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
KMA supports DLX Technology
The rubber detent and bolt too short issues where mostly with the '08 SLG I believe. My "full auto" problem seems to have been addressed by replacing the sear spring (some of the initial ones soften up too much, and the replacement was much, much stiffer). It sounds like the newer '09s may be coming with a metal bolt, but either way the bolt breaking issue was supposedly attributed to a bad batch and further exasperated by dry firing.

New guns from the factory most likely do not have most/any of these issues. You could wait to ensure your local shop moves through the older stock and receives the latest '09s.

Anyway, that's just my take... best of luck!
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:51 PM #3
FlyOrDie117
Go Hokies!!!

Annual Supporting Member
FlyOrDie117 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FlyOrDie117 supports Team VICIOUS
I was in your same position not too long ago. I was not disappointed whatsoever that I chose to purchase the 09 SLG. Its performance for the amount you pay is unmatched. If you are worried about getting a bad bolt just order your SLG directly from Dye/Proto. No issues there.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 PM #4
MoTiVe
NissanPower!

I definitely will be ordering from Proto's website. That seems like the safest way. After reading countless reviews, the gun does appear to be an amazing value.

One more question: As far as upgrades go, I've heard the 3 things that should be replaced asap are the barrel, ASA, and the feedneck. I have a 007 barrel from my old Quest which I'll be using, but want to know how much of a pain the ASA and feedneck are.

I'm going to be using a Rotor (thank you generous girlfriend ), and want to know if I'll even be able to lock it in effectively.

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:41 PM #5
PAINTBALLA52

has been a member for 10 years
the stock asa and feedneck work fine, but your not getting a lever locking feedneck, like most people prefer, and the asa is not an on/off so again, thats up to you.
Ebay Feedback: +23/-0

BOSTON UNIVERSITY PAINTBALL
PAINTBALLA52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM #6
GoNexus1991

the stock asa concerns me because it's not an on off, and my frame actually bends
however the gun shoots ****ing nice, no lie, they're sick
Draxxus Paintballs
Exalt Paintball
GoNexus1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM #7
MoTiVe
NissanPower!

Thanks for all your imput guys. Looks like come Christmas I'll be a proud new SLG owner.