Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 PM #1
BigDaddyR
BigDaddyR
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Spyder Victor won't chrono over 230? Spring kit?

Hi all. As the title says my sons Spyder Victor won't chrono over 230 turned all the way up. I saw some spring kits on Ans gear. Is there a certain set I should get? I saw a post that said a lighter spring should help.

Just trying to get it to a competitive speed for him. All the orings were replaced by out local field and I believe the valve was replaced also.

I have think it may be an 07 model.

TIA for any help.
BigDaddyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM #2
Seajay
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Seajay supports Ninja Paintball
For the spyder blow back there are two springs.
The valve spring.
The striker (hammer) spring.

Normally the striker spring just needs a stronger one, or new one if the original is very old. This pushes the hammer onto the valve pin opening it. A weak spring may not open the valve enough, or long enough to get your velocity.

Turning the velocity adjuster all the way can also bind the striker spring, making velocity worse or leading to re-cocking issues.

I have both the Trinity and 32 Degrees spring kits. Either should work fine.

If you replace the striker spring and are still having velocity issues, turning the velocity adjuster about 2/3rds in, you can try a weaker valve spring to make it easier to open the valve. Just match the same valve spring length with one in the kit, 32 Degrees one has valve springs, the Trinity did not for my kit.

Also make sure everything is clean. If you are using Co2 and switch to air you may run into a large velocity difference, just to keep in mind.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:36 PM #3
BigDaddyR
BigDaddyR
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Appreciate the info. I'll download the manual so I can see where everything goes and go from there. I'm hoping a spring kit will fix it. I'll also give backing off the velocity adjuster a shot and go from there.

How much of a difference would air be vs CO2 do you think? I'm assuming you're meaning an increase with air vs CO2. I know CO2 is supposed to be affected more by temperature changes than air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
For the spyder blow back there are two springs.
The valve spring.
The striker (hammer) spring.

Normally the striker spring just needs a stronger one, or new one if the original is very old. This pushes the hammer onto the valve pin opening it. A weak spring may not open the valve enough, or long enough to get your velocity.

Turning the velocity adjuster all the way can also bind the striker spring, making velocity worse or leading to re-cocking issues.

I have both the Trinity and 32 Degrees spring kits. Either should work fine.

If you replace the striker spring and are still having velocity issues, turning the velocity adjuster about 2/3rds in, you can try a weaker valve spring to make it easier to open the valve. Just match the same valve spring length with one in the kit, 32 Degrees one has valve springs, the Trinity did not for my kit.

Also make sure everything is clean. If you are using Co2 and switch to air you may run into a large velocity difference, just to keep in mind.
BigDaddyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur
 
ferret15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RFD
Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
CO2 tanks carries a bit extra PSI from the tank and just the CO2 expanding, my guns always lost FPS when switching over to HPA.

When you get the kit, start by replacing your striker spring with a medium one, then go up. If you end up needing the hardest ones to make velocity, go back to the medium striker and try replacing the valve spring if you can and go medium then light.

Typically the springs in the older spyders are on the harder side.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:42 PM #5
gandhi77
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
try getting a spyder threaded freak barrel kit. It will do wonders with your velocity. Paint to bore match helps with velocity issues and helps with efficiency also. I found this out when I freak bored my cci phantom. I use the lightest spring for a smoother pump stroke and still get velocities over 280 without changing springs.
gandhi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:42 AM #6
ferret15
STTB connoisseur
 
ferret15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: RFD
Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
ferret15 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi77 View Post
. Paint to bore match helps with velocity issues and helps with efficiency also.
Screw barrel matching, it isn't going to cause a 50fps drop. buying better paint is the first step before blowing your money on a kit. not to mention there are plenty of 1 piece barrels that will give you that edge in consistency when concerning STBB markers. why drop at least $40 (on the low side)for a freak jr kit used, when the fix is probably a $5 spring kit.
__________________
BT-4 egrip beginners package
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 PM #7
BigDaddyR
BigDaddyR
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi77 View Post
try getting a spyder threaded freak barrel kit. It will do wonders with your velocity. Paint to bore match helps with velocity issues and helps with efficiency also. I found this out when I freak bored my cci phantom. I use the lightest spring for a smoother pump stroke and still get velocities over 280 without changing springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
Screw barrel matching, it isn't going to cause a 50fps drop. buying better paint is the first step before blowing your money on a kit. not to mention there are plenty of 1 piece barrels that will give you that edge in consistency when concerning STBB markers. why drop at least $40 (on the low side)for a freak jr kit used, when the fix is probably a $5 spring kit.
Thanks for both replies. We were out playing yesterday and my son lost a screw out of his feed neck. The field owner replaced the screw and then when I asked him about stretching the spring out for me he actually replaced it with a red one he had from a kit and it took my sons gun from 219 fps to 345 fps. He tried getting it tuned to 280 but wasn't able to so I helped a little and got him tuned. Huge difference for him. He got more kills but the paint travel still isn't as far as my Riz Maxxed. He's using a green Teardrop barrel. He also has a shorter silver one he's going to try next time.

What kind of paint would be good for him to shoot in this weather that's between 30-45 degrees?
BigDaddyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump